PDA

View Full Version : Disabling auto-hide of icons pop-up

IO540
14th Aug 2006, 16:31
I am running XP (tablet edition actually).

I keep getting the "you have unused icons, do you want to hide them" popup. However, I have disaabled the "hide inactive icons" in the taskbar properties, so this popup should not appear.

Googling does not deliver a solution to this... any tips appreciated.

There are other popups e.g. no "wireless network connected" even when the wifi network is disabled...

It's a tablet used in flight, running jeppview, so it's annoying to say the least :)

timbo04
15th Aug 2006, 23:14
Open the Registry Editor click on the Start button on your taskbar, then click on Run and type "regedit" and click on OK to start the regedit utility.

Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Modify or create, "EnableBalloonTips" and set the Value to "0". To restore set the Value to "1".

hope this helps

timbo

IO540
16th Aug 2006, 09:19
Thank you Timbo.

Unfortunately, I already did this about a month ago. It doesn't stop all the popups, evidently.

There is a vast amount of stuff on google about how to stop the various "helpful" features in windoze. Evidently, different bits of windoze use different registry keys to control what appears to be the same behaviour.