PDA

View Full Version : Personal Titles

got banned
14th Aug 2006, 15:35
Wouldn't mind one, but aren't they a little overpriced?

Would halving the price double the sales ?

Whirlygig
14th Aug 2006, 15:37
Dependswhetheryou'reatightbastard!

Cheers

Whirls

...with due deference and recognition of our erstwhile friend, Onan

colmac747
14th Aug 2006, 16:10
15 got me this...

....tight wad:p

AcroChik
14th Aug 2006, 16:13
If the price were halved and sales doubled, Danny's work assigning the titles (it's a manual process) would be doubled. Increased work + same revenue = a net decrease.

frostbite
14th Aug 2006, 17:20
Even a tight fisted pensioner can manage a fiver!

ultimatepro63
14th Aug 2006, 17:22
Im saving my pocket money up for one :} :}

G-CPTN
14th Aug 2006, 17:27
Even a tight fisted pensioner can manage a fiver!
I splashed out a TENNER!

AcroChik
14th Aug 2006, 17:34
I only had to collect 760 cans and bottles and return them to stores for the deposit.

ultimatepro63
14th Aug 2006, 17:42
I only had to collect 760 cans and bottles and return them to stores for the deposit.

Must have been fun:ok:

G-CPTN
14th Aug 2006, 18:10
Does one get 'paid' (ie a cash 'deposit') on returning cans and bottles (in the US)? When we lived in Denmark, cans were banned and bottles had a returnable deposit. The youngsters did a grand job of clearing the streets (and ditches) of bottles. Our neighbours' son started his enterprise with funding from bottles.
The UK gave up deposits on glass bottles many years ago.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/regs/part367.html
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/at_agencies/more_resources.shtml
BOTTLE BILL
Under NY State (not NY City) law, carbonated soft drinks, beer and malt beverages, mineral water, soda water, and wine cooler containers have a 5 cent deposit. Dealers must refund the deposit on all containers of the same type (brand, size, shape, color, and composition) they sell for off-premises consumption, regardless of where the container was originally purchased.
Access the New York State Returnable Container Act on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYS DEC) website. The NYS DEC (not the NYC Department of Sanitation) is responsible for enforcing New York State's returnable container law. To register a complaint, complete their Returnable Container Complaint Form and mail it to the address indicated on the form. For more information, contact the NYS DEC Environmental Conservation Officers for Region 2.
The Bottle And Can Redemption Association of NYS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, fortification, and explanation of the New York State Returnable Container Law, otherwise known as the “bottle bill.”
The Bottle Bill Resource Guide provides background information on the environmental and economic impacts of deposit laws and on current campaigns to expand bottle bills in the United States and abroad.
WE CAN, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping the poor and homeless help themselves through the collection and redemption of returnable deposit bottles and cans, runs three redemption sites: 165th street and Whitlock Avenue in the Bronx, and two sites in Manhattan. One in midtown and one on 129th St. and Amsterdam Avenue.

AcroChik
14th Aug 2006, 19:27
In a vestibule to one side of the supermarket near my apartment there are two industrial-scale ATM-looking machines. One feeds metal or plastic containers into the approptiate opening. The machine grinds the containers into pellets and the result drops into clear plastic bags. When you press "finished," rather than dropping a sackfull of nickles into a cup like a Vegas slot machine, a receipt is printed out that one can redeem inside the store for cash.

I collect my containers until I have a bag-full and wander by the store to hand them to whichever homeless person happens to be there at the moment, redeeming their grocery-cart-full of whatever they've collected.

WE CAN had a warehouse-size redemption center on West 44th Street near Ninth Avenue. There was always a mass of psychotics who ought to have been under care in an institution milling about. It was a creepy place to walk past, even in daylight. Restauranteurs and other business-people were up in arms about it. The police were often called. I don't know if it's still open, as my rounds don't take me to the western frontier of Times Square (or any part of it) any longer.

Tolsti
14th Aug 2006, 19:52
When I lived in Sweden each can carried a 'tax' called pant. When you took your drink cans back to a supemarket and crushed them you got a ticket of credit refunding the 'pant'. The kids then took the ticket.. presented the cashier with the lowest priced item they could find in the shop and got the change in cash.... saved paying the bug$ers pocket money!

Mercenary Pilot
14th Aug 2006, 20:16
7.50 gets you....well, err, nothing but it counts :} :ok:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th Aug 2006, 22:29
I'll tell you what...get yourself a title and I'll pay half of it

I bet you still don't though :*

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2006, 22:37
I'll tell you what...get yourself a title and I'll pay half of it
May I suggest:
"I now have a personal title, because a fine upstanding genteleman named Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!, chipped in for half".;)

Buster Hyman
14th Aug 2006, 22:42
My choice was made clear. Spend £5 on the title, or [quote]Sod off[unquote]!:eek:

Evening Star
15th Aug 2006, 07:13
Cannot believe this, people worried about a fiver or so.:confused: Splash out, make a statement, discount not given for Latin...:8

frostbite
15th Aug 2006, 12:11
That's a point that has always puzzled me on here.

What's with the fascination for, and copious use of, Latin?

tony draper
15th Aug 2006, 12:35
Why not? one presumes even the children speak it in Latainia.
:uhoh:

Whirlygig
15th Aug 2006, 12:44

'Cos to put it in English or, strictly speaking Anglo Saxon, would result in offence being taken by someone!

My basic Latin tells me the first word and the last I reckon is "take a laugh" in Evening Star's PT; a bit like "Copula hoc pro ludo militum"

Cheers

Whirls

got banned
15th Aug 2006, 12:52
anyone know the latin for "don't let the bastards grind you down?"

AIRWAY
15th Aug 2006, 13:17
Hey got banned: Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

got banned
15th Aug 2006, 13:32
cheers airway, I guess I'll try and shorten it. I'm not sure if Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg can afford the £17.50

Capt.KAOS
15th Aug 2006, 13:41
anyone know the latin for "don't let the bastards grind you down?""Illegitimi Non Carborundum"

According to Safire's New Political Dictionary, this is "a pseudo-Latin phrase meaning 'don't let the bastards grind you down'. Small signs and plaques carrying this message have appeared in U.S. business offices and army posts for at least a generation, since General "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell used it as his motto in World War II. Carborundum is a trademark for silicon carbide, a leading commercial grinding substance...In politics, the motto was popularized by 1964 Republican nominee Senator Barry Goldwater, who hung the sign in his office." (--from Safire's New Political Dictionary, p. 353)

Osi bili, si ergo,
Fortibus es in ero.
Nosibili,
Demis trux,
Vatis indem?
Caus en dux.

rotated
15th Aug 2006, 13:43
got banned,

I'm not sure if Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg can afford the £17.50

JetBlast member 2005.
JetBlast member 2006.

Are you farking joking... :hmm: :rolleyes: :cool:

Besides, if you divide your PT expenses by the number of hours of fun you can have here, there's just no better bang for the buck...:E :ok:

cortilla
15th Aug 2006, 14:27
I hadn't ordered one previously as i wasn't of the working world. I know am, so have a little bit of cash here and there (not enough to sponsor other's mind you) however now i am inspirationless. I will mull it over and as soon as i have a name i wanna stick with i shall purchase said name. Till then i will keep my JB posts to a minimum. :{ :{

HowlingWind
15th Aug 2006, 14:33
Cortilla: How about "Now of the Working World"? :eek:

rotated
15th Aug 2006, 14:41
Perhaps they could be had by the letter instead of by the word :ok: That would allow EVERYONE to contribute, whatever their financial straits... ;) :)Yes, I'd like to buy a vowel, please

Eliason
15th Aug 2006, 16:51
Rotated - actually, it's almost working like that... as long as you don't use letters you can enter any amount you like :eek: :cool: :p

Ripline
15th Aug 2006, 20:25

Search me, I put it down to pretentions of grandure...:p

It's a fair point though. I viewed it as a sensible vehicle to put some money into Danny's contribution to aviation and world sanity. It's little enough considering the enjoyment/entertainment/efrienship that Pprune provides. Indeed, the Friday Jokes alone justify paying up what is a very modest fee.

How often do people feel the need to change them, or is that just a logical extension of my reasoning?

Ripline

matt_hooks
15th Aug 2006, 20:35
Well, I think that the fiver I paid for my soubriquet is a small price to pay to help Danny out with his wondrous organ, and the site ain't bad either! :rolleyes:

I am a student, but I still managed to scrape together the money to get it done, and so should you all!

And I decided against Latin, I only got a B at GCSE and that was..ooooooh....years ago!