PDA

View Full Version : Equipments for Flying

i_can_fly
14th Aug 2006, 12:28
Hello everybody, i would like to ask:
:confused: "any equipment are needed for FLYING?(such as Sunglasses)."
because i'm going to Oz and want to get the PPL in there.
Do i need to prepare all things in Hong Kong first!(coz i think Hong Kong goods is Cheaper than in Oz:) ).

Thank you for all replys and sharings!!:O

Kane Toed
15th Aug 2006, 13:04
any equipment are needed for FLYINGMost important - an aeroplane :hmm:

i_can_fly
15th Aug 2006, 15:21
Most important - an aeroplane :hmm:
Frankly, you're right!:ok:

Gravox
15th Aug 2006, 21:26
Sun glasses are a must!
Carrying a camera in your flight bag is a good idea too. Never know when you wish you had one.

flyer_spotter
16th Aug 2006, 02:32
Most important - an aeroplane :hmm:

Don't forget to put some fuel in too.:O :O

Koyo
16th Aug 2006, 02:47
A watch. Then again I can't imagine any adult without one to start with. Any watch will do and it may be legally required. Another item to consider is your own headset if the school you're attending only provides poor quality headset, like ASA. However, I don't know if it's cheaper in HK for aviation headsets.

DeltaSix
16th Aug 2006, 05:49
What to bring:

MONEY ( lots of it ), sunnies and/or prescription glasses, headset, fuel drain, good pair of black shoes, watch, handheld GPS ( if you have one ), small torch for night flying, and most of all - your thinking cap. Lastly, a good sense of humour for those hairy/scary moments. Good luck.

D6

i_can_fly
17th Aug 2006, 03:56
Thank you all of your reply:ok: !!
The suggestions are very useful for me! (and some is very funny:) )

But i still have questions:

For the Sunglasses, coz i have to wearing glasses or contact lens.So any advise for me to choose bet wearing "contact lens + sunglasses" or "buy a sunglasses with correction"?

For the watch, any function are needed?
Coz all my watches only can show the time, no any else function!

DeltaSix
17th Aug 2006, 04:58
But i still have questions:
For the Sunglasses, coz i have to wearing glasses or contact lens.So any advise for me to choose bet wearing "contact lens + sunglasses" or "buy a sunglasses with correction"?
If you wear prescription glasses, regulations require you to have a spare in your nav bag. Any combination will do ( contacts + sunnies or sunnies with correction ) - your choice.

For the watch, any function are needed?
A watch that can show UTC will be useful but not essential.

all my watches only can show the time, no any else function!
ahhhh..... isn't that what a watch is suppose to do ?... SHOW TIME.
Just make sure it works - understand ? --- good !!.. now pack your bags and go. Let me know if you will be doing your training in Sydney and I'll point you to the schools.

By the way, forget the fuel drain, just buy it here. They will never let you board an aircraft with that pointy thing.

D6

i_can_fly
17th Aug 2006, 06:37
ahhhh..... isn't that what a watch is suppose to do ?... SHOW TIME.
D6

;) coz some watch can be a Timer or Compass...etc!
Or has some special "scales" Maybe for calculation.:p

Let me know if you will be doing your training in Sydney and I'll point you to the schools.
D6

:O I'm really going to Sydney. Will arrive on Sept and study a course to improve my english, first! I'm, now, still not yet to make a decision of which school ( coz comparing the prices, facilities, and reputation..etc)

:confused: Can we discuss the School information in this forum?
or have to do it in PM?

Koyo
17th Aug 2006, 09:50
Don't bother spending money on a fancy watch. You're going to be flying locally anyway. As long as you know how many hours to add or minus to Zulu time you be fine. I suggest you contact CASA and see if acquiring flight schools' audit reports is possible. This is important, for example, a school next door got closed down by Transport Canada due to safety issues, poor maintenance, and a fatal accident (different company but same owner). I believe there's a section for Aussie pilots on PPRUNE so asking for references in the appropriate sub-forum may yield better results.

Chase-Durer does make pilot wrist watch with E6B calculator. I can't imagine someone can actually use that small of a E6B in-flight. If you have $400 US to spend on a fancy watch, spend it on a set of decent headset.

i_can_fly
17th Aug 2006, 14:17
Don't bother spending money on a fancy watch. You're going to be flying locally anyway. .....Chase-Durer does make pilot wrist watch with E6B calculator. I can't imagine someone can actually use that small of a E6B in-flight. If you have $400 US to spend on a fancy watch, spend it on a set of decent headset.

Oh i see!:p
Frankly, I'm not only not a millionaire, but also the budget is very tight!
So thank for your advise!:ok:

DeltaSix
17th Aug 2006, 21:35
;) Can we discuss the School information in this forum?
or have to do it in PM?

I used to train and instruct in Sydney and know a lot of the schools ( 13years), PM me and I can tell you which schools to pick depending on what you need in your training ( ex. direct CPL, PPL only, etc ) and the schools you need to stay away from ( not that they're bad ).

Otherwise go to the Pprune section of Dunnanda and Godzone.

Goodluck

D6

i_can_fly
18th Aug 2006, 03:14
I used to train and instruct in Sydney and know a lot of the schools ( 13years), PM me and I can tell you which schools to pick depending on what you need in your training ( ex. direct CPL, PPL only, etc ) and the schools you need to stay away from ( not that they're bad ).
D6

Then i will PM you about the school information, thanks!:p

But i still have one more question related to this "equipment" topic.;)
About the "Black Shoes", can i wear a pair of sports shoes for training?
:confused: would like to know any "special" function about the shoes?

DeltaSix
18th Aug 2006, 03:27
Some schools will require you to wear the white shirt and blue trouser uniform if you are a full-time CPL student, thus the black shoes. Otherwise, jeans, t-shirt, shorts, sports shoes will do. That should make you look good in your ray-ban :E

D6

LSGG
18th Aug 2006, 06:57
Last but not least, always have with you some writting material (one or two pens that work as well as paper) ! A kneepad isn't a bad idea !

Sounds stupid, but I doubt, you'll find a professional pilot, who wasn't once in the situation where he was unable to write down tower instructions cause he left his pen at dispatch or no more ink....:sad:

good luck with your training.

i_can_fly
18th Aug 2006, 09:15
Last but not least, always have with you some writting material (one or two pens that work as well as paper) ! A kneepad isn't a bad idea !

Sounds stupid, but I doubt, you'll find a professional pilot, who wasn't once in the situation where he was unable to write down tower instructions cause he left his pen at dispatch or no more ink....:sad:

The "Professional Pilot" is so Funny!:E
But thanks for your sharing!
At least i know that no one will never make a mistake....