View Full Version : drive melb to darwin

ct2k
14th Aug 2006, 11:58
Gday im thinking of driving from melbourne to darwin, I was just wondering how long it takes, how much money i should take. Any tips, info or experiences would be great. I am tossing up weather i should drive, fly and put the car on a truck, or fly and buy a car up there. Cheers

Woomera
14th Aug 2006, 12:42
Melbourne - Darwin 5,851 kilometres. Go here (http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/trip_planner_ENA_HTML.htm).

Sunny Woomera

jetbrett
14th Aug 2006, 12:47
I think driving by yourself would be lonely, flying wouldnt, but on the other hand you can stop at a lot of destinations in a car and maybe pick up a job. If you drive take mates but make sure you are in your car for convenience reasons.(eg. you get a job you have your car at hand, if they get a job they leave you stranded). Luggage fits better in a car, especially if you are taking most of your belongings. Have Fun JB

Soulman
14th Aug 2006, 12:59
or fly and buy a car up there.

Overpriced market - expect to pay top dollar.

Better off buying one down here and selling it up there!

Soulman.

pilotdreams1977
14th Aug 2006, 14:27
I just did the drive not long ago by myself.

1. Melbourne to Alice takes 3 days.
Melbourne – Adelaide, Adelaide – Coober Pedy, Coober Pedy to Alice.

2. Alice to Darwin takes another 3 days.

Accomodation is reasonably priced, usual motels and single rooms for about $70. You can choose to stay at a backpackers for cheaper but after a long days drive you might want your own privacy and a good nights rest. Backpackers are hit and miss with people usually coming in drunk at all times of the night. Avoid the super large backpackers as they don’t really give a communal type feeling. There are a couple of smaller backpackers which promote a friendly atmosphere so its much easy to approach people and make friends.

Cost sharing – at every backpackers there are always people looking for lifts to go further up north. They are willing to split the cost of petrol which is around the $1.75 (average) mark around that way.

State of your car – Don’t worry so much about the state of your car, just do the usual service. If you get real worried then just stay at a backpackers and watch the crazy overseas travelers roll up in their late 1970’s cars which they bought for $500. It’s a real laugh, and I ended up traveling in convoy with some crazy overseas guys I met at the backpackers in Coober Pedy. As with breakdowns and stuff, well just bring heaps of food and luck…and don’t forget to watch Wolf Creek before you leave.

Boredom – yep after the first ten minutes of new scenery it gets real boring. Bring an Ipod or lots of CDs. You will go through your collection fast. Most of the scenery along the Stuart Highway isn’t that close to the road, so it’s not that spectacular to keep you awake.

Train option – FORGET IT! Its wickedly expensive and begins at Adelaide, so you have to drive to Adelaide anyway.

Driving is a good option as it gives you the freedom to travel around town when you arrive. Towns like Alice and Darwin have limited public transport.

Enjoy the adventure along the way. :ok:

Tinstaafl
14th Aug 2006, 18:56
Not Melb. - Darwin, but Brisbane - Katherine. Did that years ago in about 3 days.

I had an extra spare wheel, spare alternator belt, can of Bar's Leaks, some tools for limited repairs, lots of water & a car loaded until it groaned. I also serviced it prior to leaving.

I kept a log of fuel consumption so I could ensure I never drove out of range of a fuel stop. In the beginning I refueled prior to half tank so I could always return to the previous place if there was no sign of fuel within range. It was a used car I'd just bought so wasn't familiar with its economy. Towards the end - when I had a good appreciation of its fuel use - I'd push on past 1/2 tank if I was confident there would be a fuel stop ahead.

I chose to camp beside my car for the two nights with my camping gear I'd brought along. Very peaceful in the middle of nowhere with a nice hot cup of billy tea.

Quite an easy trip, I thought. Boring though...

tinpis
14th Aug 2006, 21:06
Easy three days.
1. MEL -Port Agutter.
2. PAG-ASP
3. ASP-DRW.

Howard Hughes
14th Aug 2006, 21:29
I'm with Tinny, easy 3 days, or 38 hours without breaking any speed limits!
Done it in 3 towing a trailer too....:ok:

tinpis
14th Aug 2006, 21:36
DONT:eek: :ooh: drive in the dark !

Capt Claret
14th Aug 2006, 22:38
Wot Tin said.

3 days driving if you don't want to stop and see anything.

Biatch
14th Aug 2006, 23:03
definately go the car option... as per what has been said above.... you can then have freedom at your destinations without relying on ****ty public transport that may or may not really exist.....

i did townsville to broome in three days.... 10 hours, 12 hours and 15 hours... wasn't too bad baring a bush turkey @ 150km/hr on the second day.... i'd advise sticking to 110 km/hr even in the unlimited zones..... you burn way to much fuel for crap all gain in time, plus theres the turkey factor.... :) ....

just remember to take a large 10L bottle of water and food etc just incase... and an iPod or the like is definately a good idea... and stop, revive and shag a backpacker....er i mean survive...

RENURPP
14th Aug 2006, 23:32
Ì have done Darwin - Sydney 2 1/2 days, 3 days no problem, and stick to daylight hours or it may take a lot longer.

bob55
14th Aug 2006, 23:32
It is cheaper to fly and ship your car up than to drive it, generally.

tinpis
14th Aug 2006, 23:45
Wot Tin said.

3 days driving if you don't want to stop and see anything.

Oh....theres something worth stopping for Clarry?:uhoh:

ct2k
15th Aug 2006, 00:11
Thanks for the feedback guys, especially pilotdreams good run down of what i can expect. So i gather it will be safe to plan on 3 days and drive roughly 12 hours a day.

Woomera according to this site http://whereis.com.au/whereis/getDirections.do?nref=homeDir its only 3763 kms. mmmmmm

bob55 i just rang up tnt and its going to cost $1903 to freight the car up there with no personal belongings inside it. Do you know another company thats cheeper?

What are the petrol stops like? My car only gets 500kms per tank will that acceptable, or should i get some jerrys just in case?

tinpis
15th Aug 2006, 00:20
Petrol stops all along the way , its Australia mate not bloody Africa.

Take $$$$ munny.

Drive yer car dont put it on a transporter FFS unless its a total heap of ****e then why bother bringing it?
Plenty of cars for sale in Darwhine the 6 cylinders jobbies goin f cheap.

Rabbit 1
15th Aug 2006, 01:55
Did the same journey years ago ex Melbourne via NSW and Central QLD. Got to 3 Ways and headed for Katherine. Previous comment about not driving in the dark is spot on since I hit a roo just outside of Charlieville. No work available in Katherine or DRW so headed back to Melbourne via the notorious South Road between the NT border & ADL. Arrived Melbourne in financial tatters and car a mess. Two days later the phone rings - job offer at the Rock and this was through a letter I'd sent weeks before, all for the cost of a $0.50 stamp. Aviation is like that and all the best for the drive north.

Capt Claret
15th Aug 2006, 08:18
Hey Sunny Wooms, where'd ya get 5851km from? You weren't a cabbie per chance, were ya?

From one who has done it heaps of times, one direction or the other, 3700km.

Melb to Port-a-gutta 1000km. Stay at the Standpipe Golf Motor Inn Ph (08) 8642-4033. It's on the corner of The Eyre Hwy & Stuart Hwy and the easiest entry is from the Eyre Hwy. Great Indian restaurant.
Port-a-gutta to Alice 1200km. No speed limit for most of the last 300km from the NT border. Only seen one cop car north of Coober Pedy, and only once, though they do sometimes set up speed cameras between Coober Pedy and port-a-gutta.
Alice to Darwin 1500km, mostly no speed limits, except for the few towns or communities.

Don't consider driving at night between Port-a-gutta and Katherine, way too many roos, unfenced roads with cattle, camels, the odd donkey, fewer emus, and mucho roos & wallabys (hopping kind not rugger players).

M.25
15th Aug 2006, 09:16
Some good advice above.
I will repeat what a couple of others have said, don’t drive at night!! (I made that mistake once:eek: ) Also avoid the temptation to put the foot down when you get to the roads with open speed limits. 110km is a good speed. Funnily enough it’s generally the tourists that will fly past you at 160kmh….then you will cruise straight back past them when they pull over with an overheating engine or roll over when they swerve to dodge a cow, dingo, eagle or whatever else they played chicken with. It’s a long drive, but it’s a longer walk! Cars up north can be very overpriced at times. (Especially at royalty time!) If your car is reliable enough for the drive I would take it.:ok:

Capt Claret
15th Aug 2006, 09:25
The Clarrie-mobile, a 2005 3.0 litre diesel Patrol comfortably sits on 130 to 140 kliks, all day. Never overheated. Only once drove at night on the roads in question and hit a $4000 roo and doesn't swerve for aminals.

If 110 kph is your limit, add a day to the travel time.

Pseudonymn
15th Aug 2006, 10:13
I have driven a Mazda 121 bubble between SSY-ASP, via Broken Hill and PortAgutta. Then back to Syd via PortAgutta and Hay. Then back to ASP via the NewEngland Hwy and through Central Qld. Then ASP-DRW. DRW-MtIsa. Have never needed a jerry can. They only have a 40L tank... The car was packed to the gills. Take your camera, lots of CD's and a good travel companion.

BTW, my dog has proven that it is possible to drive from Alice Springs to Port Augusta without a piss-stop... :uhoh: :eek: :\ He was one relieved puppy after that!

morno
15th Aug 2006, 10:20
What I find more amusing is that the dog didn't send you insane on those trips, :ok:.

That bubble goes places though, will admit.....

ct2k
15th Aug 2006, 10:22
Thanks fellas for the replys, i take it i shouldnt drive at night??:zzz:

Capt. Claret, my fourby will do 110 comfortably, but thats about it. Would you plan on 4 days based on that?

And what sort of money could i expect to spend on the trip getting up there if i stayed in motels. Is it wirth getting a swag, and camping? Whats a litre of diesel worth out in the boonies?

Is there anything worth looking at on the way up? How far off track is uluru?

Sorry about the 20 questions i just want to be prepared for the trip.

Great info gents, much appreciated.:ok:

Sunfish
15th Aug 2006, 10:27
Dont even think of driving at night or you will hit a roo. They feed on thedge of the road and bounce out diagonality (if there is sucha word) when your lights get too close.

I speak from experience, be in the bar by 6.00 pm

Stay away from Cape Crawford. There is something funny going on there (drugs).

Schmoostyler
15th Aug 2006, 10:38
Yeah i not long ago did the drive to. I took 5 days, going
Melbourne - Adelaide - Coober Pedy - Alice Springs - Tennant Creek - Darwin

Fuel i think was just under $500- for the trip (driving a v6 3.0ltr magna) but fuel economy is great once you're on the road, and if you've got cruise control it's even better. I found that my economy only decreased by 1ltr/100kms when i hit the NT border and started driving at 140kph.

To book hotels along the way, I would get on the internet the night beforehand, check out wotif.com and book there, cheap as chips, you **ALWAYS** save money by getting on wotif.com the night before. I only booked the night before, because if I had car trouble, and missed a booking or two I'd be out of pocket by $70- + (I think the most expensive night was $115) I dont think there will be any problems with vacancies at this time of the year.

Just make sure you dont drive in the dark, stay at the Bluestone motel in Tennant Creek (wotif.com dosent cover tennant creek, ARG) and DONT fill up at Barrow Creek (most expensive place in the territory!!, unless you're at a community).

It's a good drive, good roads, and friendly people, just dont drive at night, and try and drag someone along for the ride, even if it means subsidising their plane ticket home.

an3_bolt
15th Aug 2006, 10:45
Like Tin and Capt said: don't drive at night. I think I told somewhere about on Pprune, but smartarse me did it a lot - until Skanky Skippy took on the Ultimate Scubbyroo - result was 4 flatspots to the metal on the tyres, and lumpy trip for the next 400ks or so .... and car damage. Probably very luck to still be here. Skanky Skip lost big time.
Take water with you. Lots. Take some spare fuel with you in a jerry can. Take a first aid kit of some description. If you have a portable ELT, take it with you. Preferably take a car that is common - ie parts will be readily be available. If your 1979 Saab turbo breaks down - well that's that. Looking cool - but still going no-where.
Just remember in some areas, it can be some time before someone stumbles across you or vice versa.....ie it is a long way for help. If it was me - my actions would be in accordance.
Probably the best thing I have learnt with age - is take your time and enjoy the trip. Contrary to much opinion, I always found a lot to see and do, as proper research prior a trip always revealed sites to discover. :)
The Rock is a bit of a hike off the hwy - couple of hours each way. As for swag etc - not sure what is like at this time of year, but I have been known to throw a matress in the back of the wagon - but then there was the mossies...... prefer business class with nice smooth red....
Ohh yeh - the big other killer on the outback roads is the road shoulder. Sometimes a wheel off the edge of the tar onto the dirt shoulder, and maybe a little gutter/lip on the edge of the tar.....some people try to yank the car back onto the road. Sometimes a bit too hard in too short a time and ends in a rollover. Generally high speed rollovers end in tears. One of the more common road accidents.

OpsNormal
15th Aug 2006, 11:34
A lot of people are painting a bleak picture of driving the Stuart Highway. While I whole heartedly agree that driving most outback highways at night is like playing Russian Roulette, even during the heat of summer it is rare not to see 3-4 vehicles per hour heading in each direction on the Stuart. Obviously this time of the year is much more busy, as it is still relatively cool compared to say Jan-Feb.

Kangaroos and especially dark coloured livestock (that you will not see until waaaaay too late if driving much above 80km/h) are a very real threat.

I would be much more inclined to grab a cheap UHF handheld and keep tuned to Ch 40. Most people use 40 as an initial contact and then flick across to another pre-arranged channel. Many of the stataions also use UHF for their ringers and during bore-runs.

Morno, what pseudo didn't let-on here was during the last Sydney to Alice via Isa and the Barkly trip for the Bubble was the fact that as some low-life scumbag in Sydney had decided to break-in and remove the CD player from the dash (whilst of course trashing the centre of the dash) when the car was in Sydney basically meant that there was no music of any description for the entire drive to Alice. Do you know how many variations there are on "eye-spy" there are? The dog was funny, but for the most part just slept. It was essentially February and a bit hot outside.

I do not recommend doing that drive without a stereo. You'll go a bit, err... :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

The Rock/Olgas (and the third Tor.... who here also knows I wonder....:ok: ) are most assuredly worth the diversion off the Stuart. You do not need to pay the exorbitant prices Voyager Resorts charge at Yulara, just pull up at Curtin Springs (a working cattle station about 80km to the east of Yulara on the Lasseter Hwy that also has cheap accom - dongas, or if you have your own swag/tent they have free camping in the camping area). Tell Old Pete, Ash and Stevie I said G'day (I used to work there a few years ago now). They've got a decent bar and you'll most assuredly find a "different" point of view and the odd "character" isn't as few and far between as they are in the city....:D :D

There is also a publication called something along the lines of "Driving the Stuart Hwy". Many of the southern end roadhouses should have a copy. It is very good for info regarding distances, amenities and available fuel stops.

Regards,

OpsN;)

M.25
15th Aug 2006, 12:07
a 2005 3.0 litre diesel Patrol comfortably sits on 130 to 140 kliks, all day. Never overheated.

Being a GA pilot, I am guessing that ct2k's car is between 15 and 30 years older than yours!

Capt Hollywood
15th Aug 2006, 12:34
The Rock/Olgas (and the third Tor.... who here also knows I wonder.... )

Aah yes, Mt Conner, know it well. I've landed on it quite a few times with clients!

As has been said already, make sure you've got music, water and don't drive at night. Falling asleep is the biggest killer out there, I've had the unfortunate task of flying RFDS personnel out to the accidents! Don't try and do too much in one day.

CH :cool:

RENURPP
15th Aug 2006, 12:40
The Stuart Highway is not that isolated, take normal precautions for a long drive. It is the busy season up here, lots of traffic. (relatively) If you have a problem on the road I would be supprised if you don't see some one withing 30 mins to 1hr.
Accommodation this time of year is hard to get. I have had friends staying with me in Darwin cause they got kicked out of their hotel due overbooking and I had the same problem in Alice last week. Camping may be a good idea as a back up.
petrol stations every 300kms approx.

Capt. Crocodile
15th Aug 2006, 13:05
I drove from Sydney to Adelaide and put my car on the Ghan a couple of months ago. It cost $999 for my Commodore, (Adelaide - Darwin) and unlike the truck companies you can put all the luggage you want in your car at no extra cost. It will cost more for a 4wd. I also had to pay my air fare to Darwin so it all adds up. From Darwin I drove to Kununurra along the Victoria Highway. I was doing 165km/h and got a tyre blow out right on sunset, not a good time with other drivers flying past at the same speed (moral to the story -drive slower and definitely have 2 spare tyres). Along the Highways moo cows pop up outa no where. You won't have time to stop if they stroll out in front of ya. So I gotta repeat what everyone else said "don't drive at night"! As for getting a swag and camping, you'll definitely save a lot of money. Accommodation in Darwin isn't cheap and you won't get much for your money. Camp sites are across the Stuart Highway from Darwin Airport and you can expect to be woken up by heavy jets and fighter jets at all hours of the night. If you go down this option make sure you have a very strong insect repellant. I stayed in a tent in Darwin and the mozzies are so huge I've got permanent scars. I also confirm that car yards are a big rip off up there but if you wanna fly up there and pick up a car, theres a vacant block of land across the road from Chillies backpackers on Mitchell Street where tourists sell their cars. Most of them are commited to sell their cars because their visa has expired so you can usually get a bargain and a lot of them have receipts for work done on their car -better still, take the car you know. :)

an3_bolt
15th Aug 2006, 21:51
Don't forget here guys - plenty of things to see and do just off the highway. Not that boring if you PLAN a decent trip - that is unless you are just going A to B.:)

The Voice
15th Aug 2006, 22:29
guys, dark coloured livestockI nearly met my waterloo in the middle of the day somewhere between 3 Ways and Mataranka when a white beef roast on legs was standing in the heat gaze in the middle of the road in broad daylight!

Please remember road kill is any size and any colour before it takes on that role!

Fatigue management is also essential .. plenty of leg stretching for 5-10 minutes every 3 or so hours won't go astray either .. roadhouses in NT offer free coffee for the driver ..

Clarrie if 110 kph is your limit, add a day to the travel time I'd add, don't drive outside of your abilities. Its a whole different world driving in the outback compared to suburbia and if it means you take 2 more days to make your destination, then so be it! At least you'll be there to do what you intended to before you left!!

Enjoy the adventure!

OpsNormal
16th Aug 2006, 02:10
Aah yes, Mt Conner, know it well. I've landed on it quite a few times with clients!
As has been said already, make sure you've got music, water and don't drive at night. Falling asleep is the biggest killer out there, I've had the unfortunate task of flying RFDS personnel out to the accidents! Don't try and do too much in one day.

Conner. Dat's 'im Hollywood! Having lived at CSP for a while (OK, a few years ago now) I must admit to having spent rather a lot of time around there, especially at the bush camp around the back.

Were your clients fixing that station repeater on top of the Mt?

Capt Hollywood
16th Aug 2006, 02:23
No, mainly tourists. I flew the Prince and Princess of Liechtenstein up there a few years ago. Nice bloke, and he was OK too!

CoodaShooda
18th Aug 2006, 01:49
I'm currently half way through a Darwin - Exmouth - Darwin road trip (3 days each way) and regularly drive the Stuart Highway. Alice - Darwin can be a day trip if you want to make it one.

Couple of points not already covered

The grey nomads are in plague proprtion on all major highways across the NT at present; cruising between 65 and 80 kph. They will always be found when approaching a bend or dip where overtaking is ill advised....so expect delays.

Secondly, no one has mentioned road trains (- think triple length semi trailers). They're long, long, long and usually restricted to 100kph. If you're overtaking one in a car with a maximum speed of 110kphm make sure you have very clear view of the road ahead....for at least 2 to 3 km.

It can become frustrating sitting behind a slow caravan or road train when you're trying to fit 1000 km into the daylight hours but just keep cool. There's always a chance the vehicle coming towards you when you pull out to overtake is travelling at 180 to 200kph. Don't risk it until you get a feel for the road conditions.

Have fun.

morno
18th Aug 2006, 08:01
Have done the Alice to Darwin trip before and travelled the Stuart many times. And would you believe it, at night too, :bored:. However, my tip is NEVER drive at night on the Stuart Highway, anywhere South of about Mataranka. I survived and so did my car, but I did hit a roo in Western QLD one night though, which resulted in a few minor repairs.

morno

steelcraft
21st Aug 2006, 11:47
Driven Melb to Darwin twice.
1st time drove by myself and as I was crossing the Westgate Bridge the sony "Things can only get better came on" and they did.

2nd time around drove up with a friend.

Both times I stopped the car every hour from the time I left my drive way in Melb to the time I got to Darwin. I would take a photo of the road ahead. Put all the photos together and it shows a great story.

Enjoy Darwin

bellsux
21st Aug 2006, 13:23
tips for the budget seekers..

I would never recommend staying in Coober Pedy unless you are on expenses as it it not the cheapest place to stay and it doesn't have the freindliest locals either. If you plan it right you can drive up past the NT border and stay in Kulgera where they have airconditioned (heated and coooled) cabins for 20 bucks a night. Also avoid Tennant Creek as well there is a small station just to the north on the left hand side of 'the track' that lets you pitch a swag / tent on soft grass for 7 bucks a night with hot shower. Also if you are really cheeky you can ask Captain Hollywood for his parents address in Alice Springs and get a nice feed and a cosy bed for nix..