PDA

View Full Version : looking for lost baggage at dublin airport

littlemisslost
13th Aug 2006, 18:04
Hi
I'm hoping that someone can help give me advice anything. I was travelling with my family for Hamburg to Dublin on Fri 11th with Aer Lingus. One was our cases was lost (we only had 2) but it was the one with all our clothes in it.We were told to check into mylostbag.com which we have done plus we rang aer lingus to be told that they still haven't found it. I literally have a few work clothes left and the clothes I was wearing at the airport and my son is pretty much the same. All our clothes that we bought for the summer was in the case.We were told at dublin airport that they find 99% of the cases within 48 hrs so we are obviously in the 1% who haven't been found.Dublin airport was a nightmare on Friday as first of all it said on the screen to collect our bags from number 5 then number2 then number 3.I can't really afford to buy myself and the kids new clothes as there was about £900 worth of clothes bought new for our hols and all in that case:{ :{ :{ .Can anyone tell me how to move things along a bit faster.Isent messages through mylostbag but haven't got an answer.
please help

spork
13th Aug 2006, 21:03
Firstly, if you have insurance cover, review this to see what you could claim. Secondly, I presume you filled out a lost bag form at the airport? Are you getting any feedback from that? If not are you pursuing them?

I’ve never had a bag disappear permanently, but I can imagine the frustration you are feeling.

apaddyinuk
13th Aug 2006, 23:46
Hi Littlemisslost...
I used to work in the Aer Lingus Baggage tracing department in Dublin but left it about 4 years ago. To be honest you would be better off just waiting. It will eventually turn up if all you did was a simple check-in in Hamburg.
I know its of absolutely no comfort to you but at the end of the day the guys in Dublin (aer lingus staff) depend on their colleagues (whoever the agents are who look after Aer Lingus baggage in Hamburg) to update the computer system (World Tracer) correctly and if they are not doing this then it leaves aer lingus without any proper information for you. It may very well transpire that they bag will arrive on a flight from Hamburg without prior notification to Dublins baggage tracing department. All I can suggest to you to do is ask the agents on the phone if you are entitled any allowances to purchase a few things to tie you over.
The guys in Aer Lingus Baggage Tracing in Dublin (despite what others may say here after this) are amongst the best at what they do. They had the president of World Tracer running the department up until rather recently and the training really shows up more often then not! They know the system better then most baggage tracers!

FINALLY...I have just noticed that you flew on the 11th which was just the other day. Aer Lingus do not have a flight on a saturday so more than likely it arrived on todays flight. In the off chance it does not arrive today then there will be another flight tomorrow too!!!

Best of luck!

littlemisslost
14th Aug 2006, 19:51
Hi
I rang again today.Apparently a bag matching my bags description is in Hamburg.They requested it to be sent to Dublin 2 days ago and rang again today but as yet noone in Hamburg has managed to put it on a plane.Do you think ringing aer lingus in Hamburg might help

thanks for all your help so far
littlemisslost

CHIVILCOY
15th Aug 2006, 09:44
apaddyinuk's advice is sound as I have previous experience of lost baggage eventually turning up after 33 days of waiting (Iberia's fault).
My only advice is to keep phoning with a pleasant manner everyday, or even go to the airport as I did as a face to face discussion makes it more personal.
It will turn up!!

computer jockey
15th Aug 2006, 19:22
Don't worry - it's more than likely your bags will turn up. I've lost count of the number of bags that have been delayed, but so far (touch wood) never lost one. Having said that, I'm still waiting for 2 bags from when I travelled from BOM to EDI via LHR on Friday, right in middle of the chaos!
The best you can do is wait, but purchase the essentials you need and make sure you keep the receipts. Send these receipts to the airline and so long as they are for a reasonable amount, they will be paid.

Good luck!

radeng
16th Aug 2006, 11:12
A few years back, I had one bag lost by American between Chicago and Dayton, Ohio. They paid up something like $1300, and it reappeared 14 weeks later......

apaddyinuk
17th Aug 2006, 10:49
The big problem Littlemisslost is that Aer Lingus dont have any staff in Hamburg, just a handeling agency who are perhaps the ones with the bag at the moment. If you can find a number to give them a call it may very well help but generally you will just get through to the same person that Aer Lingus Baggage Tracing in Dublin would have called and that person was unable/unwilling to do anything for them then they will probably be just as unable/unwilling to help you!!!
I just dont get why some airport/airline staff become so lazy!!! :ugh:

littlemisslost
20th Aug 2006, 19:11
Hello
My bag arrived about 10 minutes ago. Apparently it had been sitting in Hamburg all that time waiting for someone to put it on the plane. The aer lingus staff were very helpful and I was grateful for their assistance:D Whoever puts the bags on the planes at Hamburg however could do better:hmm: .Thanks for all your help and advice on the matter. I'm off now to open the case which will stink after having all our dirty clothes in it for over a week:sad:
littlemisslost

spork
21st Aug 2006, 17:31
Good to hear it eventually arrived!

Last weekend with Continental (Newark to Gatwick) we ended up with bags, but no daughter! I know which I would prefer!

apaddyinuk
21st Aug 2006, 19:15
Good to hear it eventually arrived!
Last weekend with Continental (Newark to Gatwick) we ended up with bags, but no daughter! I know which I would prefer!

OMG....Where did they "tag" her too???? :}

spork
21st Aug 2006, 20:52
She went nowhere thanks to lousy customer service. It's all on: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238892