PDA

View Full Version : Less ‘smoke and mirrors’ airport security; more funding for homeland security.

Erin Brockovich
13th Aug 2006, 04:25
I for one am starting to get a little worried about the sheep minded community. All I have heard in the last week is people saying that they are willing to get strip searched at the airport for up to four hours before a flight. They say that there is no alternative except not flying. I’m not sure if I have missed something but didn’t the intelligence network discover the plot “to commit mass murder”, not the airport security rent-a-cops.

I cannot see how a more painstaking yet proportionately less effective overzealous airport screening process can benefit anti terrorism. How about we recognise what measures were effective in stopping the threat and bolster those, as well as which measures are not effective and re-distribute resources accordingly.

I can see how 100m of 6ft fencing with razor wire in front of regional/remote airport terminals/sheds would deter would be aboriginal/farmer terrorists – I cannot however workout how the rest of the boundary surrounded by 1m high chicken wire would do the same. I also love the regional airports that have security guards that only work from 9 to 5, even when RPT flights still operate after these times.

Are we really that dim witted as a community and a country. I can’t totally blame the “elected” government anymore because the “people” want screening – and frankly, people are seemingly more stupid.

The only way I see a way out is to start becoming a more self sufficient country. We have the resources, we have the brains. What we don’t have is a spine.

Ultralights
13th Aug 2006, 07:22
yet even to this day, the loading docks below the domestic terminal still have unrestricted access to the restricted areas of the terminal........... with a lift designed for parcel and heavy good loading. not a security goon or xray machine in sight! yet just a few mtrs above, everyone is pretty much strip searched and having nail clippers confiscated. yet mr Joe Jihad courier delivery can enter the restricted secure area with as many boxes as he can carry....:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Mstr Caution
13th Aug 2006, 12:35
I had to laugh this evening when I was dropping a relative at Sydney Domestic airport at 5:30 pm. A fairly busy time of the week, Sunday afternoon with many people returning home.

We were running earlier than scheduled & I had promised the kids some Crispe Cream Donuts. So we picked the donuts up first from the store located on airport near the terminal.

I observed a security gaurd on duty walking around the carpark during the five or so minutes we were parked there.

We then headed down to the terminal & I thought on the way I'd count how many security gaurds were visible roadside at the terminal departures level.

ZERO !!!

With heightened security & all I thought I'd at least spot one. Maybe caught them at a bad time. Maybe a shift change? Maybe plain clothed?

Have I missed something, has there been any specific threats on Donuts? :8

blueloo
13th Aug 2006, 12:58
I think the krispy creme security guard is there to make sure you are a customer, not just a parking spot thief, whilst you avoid the ridiculous blatant syd airport parking fines. I dont think he cares if you are carrying 200 exploding donut bombs or not.

GUARD
13th Aug 2006, 13:24
I definitely think the world has gone mad.

There is so much knee-jerk reaction going on nobody is paying proper attention to where the real threats lie.

I went from my crewroom ( within terminal 3 at Sydney ) up to terminal 2 to get a subway roll and a juice. I had to go through T2 security to acheive this threatening act. To get back to my crewroom I had to go back down through security, outside to gain access to T3, upstairs, through T3 security and YOU GUESSED IT, I had to undergo an explosives screening by the same guy who saw me come through earlier that morning.

Yet if I were a porter or cleaner or caterer my first stop could easily be the baggage hold of a 767 without one single security check.

I certainly am against complacency but cast the net over everyone or don't bother.

GUARD:)

Clive
13th Aug 2006, 13:35
Erin,

You are spot on!!!

I get particulary cranky at the concept that we must roll over and submit to these "measures" as a result of the system failings in the first place. Post 9/11 the horse had bolted, yet they expect us to take the heat for the ommissions or errors that precipitated the now historic events.

Once again, in the concept of recent events, the horse has bolted (the plot uncovered, and heavily publicised, so I would suggest that any crook worth his salt would move on to other ideas) yet as crew I can no longer carry shampoo or toothpaste for gods sake.

If I travel through the states on a full fare ticket I am tagged as SSSS (special security screening required) because my ticket was bought with a foreign credit card. At the same time Mohamed Whats-his-face just strolls through because he has an American passport and it is politically incorrect to single him out.

As you, "I cannot see how a more painstaking yet proportionately less effective overzealous airport screening process can benefit anti terrorism".

It reminds me of the early days of aviation safety. Study the accidents (Rider - I'll be the first to agree we should learn from the past) then incorporate reactive measures towards safer skies. What about proactivity.

End of sermon and spleen venting for me. The Guinness is taking effect so its off to bed for me.:bored:

peuce
13th Aug 2006, 23:02
I'm convinced that if the knee-jerkers and do-gooders get their way, there will soon be no travelling public.

In this weekend's papers ... huge headlines about Australian airline security measures having been found wanting. It went as far as to say that "they even allow headphones on board ... which could be used as choking devices".

My god ... perhaps neckties should be banned, or shirts ... they could be ripped up into long pieces ... or worst of all ... BRAS!!! Now they could do some nasty dammage around a neck.

I think we have to get back to some sort of reality. Yes, have moderate security procedures in place ... to deter the nutters. But we'll never be able to stop a fair dinkum highly trained terrorist, who really wants to do some damage. They will always find new loopholes to counter our counter-measures.

If we don't lighten up a bit, the terrorists will win by default ... no one will be bothered flying.

RENURPP
14th Aug 2006, 00:12
NT news had an article yesterday about an Air North flight into darwin, Customs found a hand grenade in a guys luggage. How ever he didn't have any nail clippers or donuts i believe.

blueloo
14th Aug 2006, 00:37
it was returning military folks from timor i believe. grenade had been missed by the appropriate military checks aswell as airport secuirty.

14th Aug 2006, 03:08
If I travel through the states on a full fare ticket I am tagged as SSSS (special security screening required) because my ticket was bought with a foreign credit card.

That's news to me - I do exactly that, regullarly and don't get treated any differently than anyone else?

Maybe it's because I get bus class tickets:=

Clive
14th Aug 2006, 04:00

I might be a little off on my reasoning. It could also be that the ticket is purchased by an international credit card that is not in my name. The consulting firm I work part time for buys the ticket so that could be more the reason.

C.

14th Aug 2006, 04:33
Sounds plausable, my overseas CCard is a company card in my name. I mostly make bookings via expedia.com.

Does your ticket have SSSS documented on it or is it flaged when you check in?

Clive
14th Aug 2006, 04:51
Just after checkin, on the boarding pass.

In one event I was in Uniform (just arrived in as crew but next leg as Pax) so the screening station let me straight through but the gate staff saw the SSSS and saw it was not stamped as "checked" at the screening station so they called TSA to the gate to get me to submit to the whole ten yards, at the gate with all pax looking on. Won't fall into that trap again! :=

Continental-520
13th Sep 2006, 01:04
I transited two security controlled AD's this week, travelling on RPT flights out of each, repositioning to fly (myself) from another location.

I checked my suitcase and my laptop bag in, and carried just my flight bag with me as hand luggage. I neglected to think about the fact that I had two fuel drain tubes (both containing screwdrivers) and a regular phillips head screwdriver in the bag.

Despite being screened, my bag got through security no worries at all, and I boarded with all 3 screwdrivers in the bag.

On the way home, however, the screwdriver was detected. At this point I realised I should've packed them all in my suitcase, and also that I'd travelled previously carrying all three. So, I surrendered my screwdriver to the security attendant (or whatever they're called)...and proceeded to board with my remaining two fuel drains!

Looks like all those expensive enhancements have been worth it. NOT. :ugh:

Oh, but they picked my belt buckle, that set the metal detector off.

J430
13th Sep 2006, 02:55
On a recent trip to the USA, and early Sat am into LAX and early Sunday into SLC, both were very quiet times (SLC...must have all been in church:} ) and you would not believe that both times at LAX and at SLC the number of security dudes outnumbered the PAX.

Not surprisingly they were bored as batsh!t, and spent most of the time talking amongst themselves. They were so "off the job" I reckon any half serious kid could have slipped through there with some nasty intentions.

Seems we need to feel safe rather than be safe...........

Of course my ASIC prtects me!

J:ok:

CoodaShooda
18th Sep 2006, 04:16
Got picked up by security X-ray at Perth yesterday, trying to inadvertently carry a 7" knife through the checkpoint in a computer bag. (My fault, I'd forgotten it was in there.)

Rather than having it immediately confiscated, I was simply advised to check it in as baggage.

I was treated very politely, to the extent that the security officer concerned suggested I use a 'free pack' rather than the computer bag to check the knife in.

Of more concern was that I'd unwittingly carried the bag, with knife, through Darwin security a week before but was only pulled up for having metal plates in my shoes. :eek:

J430
18th Sep 2006, 10:33
I have an ASIC, and not employed by anyone, so cant get sacked, should I offer a TV current affairs program to test the various airports of Australia???

I would love to see how far I could get, just by having a red tag, even where I should not be accessing.

My only concern would be "advertising the loopholes" to the potential bad guys:eek: yet at the same time the people of Australia and the various gov't and company heads need to be shown.

How do you win. I cant afford to finance a pvt test and hand over the tapes to the PM or someone, but from all I read here, the whole system has more holes than a swiss cheese factory and at the same time many of us are p!ssed off at the farcical rules..

Any bright ideas out there!

We have all been bitching for so long, but what has actually been done about it?:ugh:

J:ok:

Ron & Edna Johns
18th Sep 2006, 13:03
Slipped in Darwin the other day. The lovely lady picking us up had been berated - abused - by "security" goons for waiting too close to the terminal to pick us up.. "But I'm here to pick up crew", she said. "Don't care, get lost" said they.... But I digress....

After a night in the pub it was back to the security debacle 15 hrs later. To flight planning which is spitting distance from the jet via a door. After ordering MOR to help out Geoff's bonus we're off to the jet: "Can we walk out there?" says I, pointing at door. "Good God no, you filthy, untrustworthy Captain, you have to go back into the terminal and get your gear off at security" says ground staff. Hmmm, thinks I - "you blokes walk out there don't you, through that door?" "Yep", says they, "but there's a security bloke on that door to check us, to run the wand over us". Oh, thinks I, "well that's effective, anyway, where is he just now?" whilst gesturing at an empty chair with aforesaid wand sitting alongside it. Riiiiiight........:mad: :ugh:

But it gets better in DRW. The entire catering operation drives to and from airside completlely unscreened. Everybody knows it, nobody cares. Just as long as the Captain has had his nasal hair clippers removed then the top-end is safe from Osama.

WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO PUT UP WITH THIS ****E? Boy do I emphathise with crew such as those long-crew guys in Manila the other day who end up saying "ENOUGH!" :ugh:

Bugger all has been done becasue frankly our pilots' association has bigger (?) issues such as the future of our jobs to address, and our bosses couldn't give two tosses about our daily working issues - they are more interested in protecting bonuses by achieving KPIs, which include such important things as painting pedestrian crossings around Arthur Baird JB and the rest of QF Mascot.

Cynical, who, me?

Clive
18th Sep 2006, 14:32
Well said Ron & Edna, well said indeed!!! :D