PDA

View Full Version : NZ Controllers

pressed_on
13th Aug 2006, 01:23
Hey there, with all the new courses/selections going on, I want to find out the initial carrer path of a kiwi controller. I'm in GA at the moment and I know that you pretty much go where the work is and shut you mouth hoping that ANZ will hire and that things will start to move for the better.
After the 6months at NZCH and the another 6-9 months at various aerodromes across the land, what are your chances of getting a base in a tower or control room in Auckland? Is it difficult, is there a seniorority system similar to the airlines? Which bases are hardest to get and in which can you expect the most 'progression'?

cheers

Jimmah
14th Aug 2006, 04:29
pressed_on,

After you finish at CH, you do indeed go where you're told. From the moment you rate (about 5-9 months after arriving at your unit) you can put your name up on a waiting list for any unit you wish to go to. You can't however, choose another domestic unit, it's got to be an "upward" movement (e.g. AA, CH, WN, or Area Radar etc). If a unit needs people, and you're at the top of the list, you're in, but only when there's someone to replace you at your current unit. The system's pretty fair as it's a first come first serve system, but if there can be delays in getting from A to B, either if the list is long (as some are), or if there's no-one to take your place. It seems to be that there are big movements over some periods, and few over others.

I believe places like Auckland have huge lists, and some of the radar positions here in CH also have pretty long waits. WN's not so bad.

I'm about to leave the training myself to go to my unit. And I also was in GA. At least now I know I have a career in aviation, and the job's just plain cool!

Feel free to PM me if you want more info seeing as I've just started going thru it all.