PDA

View Full Version : Angola?

big buddah
13th Aug 2006, 01:10
Can anyone tell me how safe living, working and flying in Angola is these days?

A little out of touch with the scene at the moment.

Thanks
Big Buddah

Dan Air 87
13th Aug 2006, 09:28
Things in Angola are improving all the time; now it looks like there will be peace in Cabinda so things are looking good. In terms of driving be careful and don't go off limits. Flying is great if you can get used to the equipment that they have. But TAAG have more new Boeings on order as the country recovers from the long way. Hotels are fine and LAD is OK at night but be careful. If you are going for a night out it is best to have a driver.

big buddah
15th Aug 2006, 00:49
Thanks Dan

Dan Air 87
15th Aug 2006, 19:52
Not at all. You will find LAD is a haven for movements; there are plenty of DC9 and 727's plus some Russian stuff like Il 18's Il 76's and so forth. BA have a weekly 777 in and Air France sendd their 777's in three times a week. There's also the Houston Shuttle in the form of a World Airways MD11. Look at Sonair as they are still recuiting for crews for their 727's and some of the smaller stuff like Twin Otters.

On the leisure front, try some deep sea fishing whilst you are there. Finally, if the flying doesn't grab you then some of the girls are beautiful. Think Halle Berry and you are nearly in heaven.

Well even the female security guards are pretty...

:)

big buddah
16th Aug 2006, 07:20
Dan, your a bit of a legend.

What's the safety for every day living around Launda driving, housing etc... are foriegners been targeted in any way?
Can you survive on English or do you need Portuguese?

BB

Balloothebear
16th Aug 2006, 11:28
bb,just got back from a "tour" of LAD,to reiterate DA87 words, the city is pretty much trying to recover itself from years of civil war. The portugese designed streets and appartments from the 50's and 60's have not coped very well with the millions that now call LAD home.
The expat scene is pretty much alive, with "the Ilia" being a good meeting spot on sunday afternoons for a tipple or two.The main stream hotels also offer good accomodation. After hours, as mentioned, stay off the streets, locals are friendly, however, turn nasty after a few beers.....if you are going to "dip" into the local lasses, please "cover up" as HIV is rife.
It will definatley be worth while to invest in an english/portugese dictionary, as english is not widely spoken. Make sure you have a driver, as the continental temprament has stayed with the drivers,even though Angola recived independance from Portugal in the early 70's.
Remember your malaria precautions, the little buzzing buggers are all over.
Whatever you fly, keep an eye out for the "ruskies" as they are all over the place!!
Have a good trip:ok:

Dan Air 87
17th Aug 2006, 19:37
Thanks Balloo for the notes and Big Buddah for the comments. I would not drive anywhere after dark but if you need to get a driver who knows the scene. Yes get a portugese dictionary. Also, like Balloo says stock up on your malaria tabs. Cover up after dark as well as the mossies have a "stealth" ability. When you arrive at LAD for Gods sake make sure you have your card with your injections with you. When I arrived there I had forgotten the bloody thing and was the guy wasnted to fleece me for $100 for some more shots. The girls are fantastic and I agree with Ballo to take some condoms with you.

But as balloo said, the expat style is brilliant. I loved it and went around Angola during one hitch which was out of this world. Scary in places but I loved the people (apart from those who work at LAD Airport).

I look forward to hearing about Big Buddahs exploits in LAD!