PDA

View Full Version : Venison

Scroll Lock
12th Aug 2006, 22:40
Evening All,

Anybody got a recipe for Venison ( hauch of ). Kinda famous for my beef, so thought I might try something different

How hard is it ( to cook!! ) and where the hell can I buy some?
SL
:ugh:

henry crun
12th Aug 2006, 23:27
Scroll Lock: Where to get it ? depends on where you are, in some countries you simply go out and shoot what you require.
In my experience it does require some care with cooking because it has little fat so tends to dry out.

Check your pm's.

Keef
12th Aug 2006, 23:31
You need a nice wet recipe. I rarely eat the stuff now because it's dry, tough and pretty uninspiring if not cooked by an expert.

There was this deer park over the road...

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 23:38
Now we're talking!

I assume you wish to roast said "king of joints"

I would always buy from a good butcher who can tell you all the information about the animal the meat came from, this is very important to know when cooking it as you will see!

NEVER EVER buy venison from a supermarket!

Best of all, find someone who actually shoots it and ask them to sort you out with a good joint!

So what you need is a large mixing bowl, a bottle or two of decent red wine, none of your "cooking" wines, one must respect such a magnificent meat!

You'll also need a large pot of juniper berries, some redcurrant jelly and a good bouquet garnis.

Now take your haunch and place in the large mixing bowl.

Liberally season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and then pour over the wine. Don't be shy, keep on pouring until the joint is completely covered!

Now take your juniper berries and roll them under a good rolling pin. The desired effect is to "crack" them, rather than actually grinding them up.

Add berries to marinade.

Add a couple of large tablespoons of redcurrant jelly to the pot and stir in.

Pop in the bouquet garnis.

Place a large cloth over the top of the bowl and leave in a cool place to marinade. I would suggest a larder or similar that maintains the temperature around 10 degrees centigrade, although a fridge will do, just means longer marinading.

I would normally marinade for between 24 and 72 hours depending on what sort of deer the meat came from.

A doe will tend to have slightly less tough meat, as will a younger animal as will an animal in late spring/early summer. Wild animals require a little longer than farmed animals in general, and the larger the species the longer the marinade time.

In general the longer you can marinade for the better. I'd suggest 48 hours is a decent length of time in a fridge.

Now, on the morning of the day of the banquet you need to remove the meat from the marinade, but make sure to reserve the liquor, ot makes the base of a fantastic sauce!

Place your baking tin (I always use one that has its own top) over a large ring and heat a little vegetable oil or lard in the bottom. Place the joint in the pan and cook each side until it starts to brown. This seals the juices inside.

Pour abour a quarter of an inch of the liquor into the roasting tin around the meat, cover and place in a cool oven (about 65 degrees centigrade)

Cooking at this temp allows the meat to be cooked through with little contraction of the fibres, so remains supremely tender and moist!

I normally cook a medium sized haunch for around 5 hours at this temperature, and this yields a fairly rare finish. I consider that to overcook venison is a crime against nature herself, but if you prefer it a little less pink then cook it for longer. To be honest you can cook it for as long as you like at this temperature, within reason, without any risk of ruining it.

About an hour before you are ready to serve the meat, take the remaining liquor and place in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer gently. I usually add a couple of beef oxo cubes for colour. Allow the sauce to simmer until it has reduced to a thickish gravy consistency then take off the heat.

About 10 mins before you want to serve, remove the meat from the oven and allow it to stand.

Take the roastin tin and place on a large ring. Pour a little red wine into it to deglaze the bottom and allow it to start to boil, then pour in the sauce base.

Stir well and allow it to thicken. If it is not thickening properly add a little more redcurrant jelly. This also helps to give the sauce a nice glaze.

Carve the meat as you would a joint of beef, ensuring you cut across the fibres rather than along them. This means when you bite you are biting between the fibres rather than through them, makes a big difference to how tender it seems.

Serve as you would a beef roast, but remember it is a game dish so accompanying veg should reflect this. I prefer a fairly lumpy mash of potato and swede, and some nice al dente broccoli but that's personal choice.

Serve the sauce alongside as you would a gravy, but it will be exremely rich so is as well to warn the diners of this!

My mouth is watering just thinking about it, can I come round when you cook it?

Matt

tinpis
13th Aug 2006, 01:13
Well hung (at least a week)and sliced off into steaks for BBQ.

Very tricky to cook in oven

Oh...sorry buy a haunch?... Um.... sorry never done that mine always came on four legs.

con-pilot
13th Aug 2006, 02:11
Well, Matt is right about where you get the venison from and his ideas are good, but save yourself all the work and marinate the venison in just plain old old Coke a Cola over night with a lot of black pepper and garlic. Then cook as you would cook beef.

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2006, 03:10
I'm surprised you're not suggesting deep frying, Con . . . :E

Scroll Lock
13th Aug 2006, 05:30
Guys, thanks so far for the tips.
On tour at the moment so cant really have a good look.

Gobsmacked, nay saddened even, that noone mentioned how much it costs..."its very dear you know!..."

okay,ive got my coat and im leaving the room.....

:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2006, 05:42
Still no idea.

tony draper
13th Aug 2006, 06:19
Buggah that !! the King will have yer eyes put out you will be declared outlaw and you will have to go and live in the woods.
:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Aug 2006, 06:41
Combine what Con said with what Matt said and chuck in a little cinnamon and ginger as well as a finely chopped onion.

Don't overcook. Best is actually to cut thick steaks and marinade them before grilling on a VERY hot barbecue for a minute or two each side, leaving the centre pink and juicy.

If roasting, chuck a couple of big chunks of spek or pork fat into the roasting dish with the meat to provide the grease it needs. A thick chunk of fatty smoked bacon also works well or drape sliced streaky bacon over the joint to protect and flavour it before going into the oven.

Serve cold with a salad and chopped apple or quince in cider vinegar with peppercorns.

Jinkster
13th Aug 2006, 08:23
http://www.highlandgame.com/

buy online.....

matt_hooks
13th Aug 2006, 09:01
If roasting, chuck a couple of big chunks of spek or pork fat into the roasting dish with the meat to provide the grease it needs.

I've found that if you roast it really slowly, you don't need any extra fat!

And the coke trick does work but it doesn't make such a good sauce!

seacue
13th Aug 2006, 12:14
Deer are a garden nuisance where I live.
http://users.erols.com/rcarpen/deer05a.jpg
You are welcome to as many as you want.

tinpis
13th Aug 2006, 22:18
Preparing to dunk venison in a tank of Coca Cola.:hmm:

http://www.geocities.com/nedu537/helihunt/500c_deer.jpg