PDA

View Full Version : internet access

opsjockey
12th Aug 2006, 22:23
I know very little about computers and am unsure about how to get my laptop connected to the internet so i can use the net wherever i may be...
I have an ACER 1605lc Pentium 4, 3.06ghz with 512kb and is not wireless enabled.
Have tried the Pprune search function but am unsure what to look for...
I live in a rural location which has limited Broadband access (although i am lucky enough to have it on my home pc but the house down the road isnt covered). How can i connect my laptop so i can just pick it up, go to a chums house and get on the net..
Can i get a connection whereas i just pay a monthly connection fee (AOL DIALUP / BROADBAND etc...) plug it into my phone line, log on, then close it down, pop upto a chums, plug it in to their phone line and log back on again?
Im not entirely sure how wireless works and where it can be used. Id rather not use my mobile phone as a gateway to the net due to the call charges. id just like to be able to plug in and go.... any techies got and advice...

All replies greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jet II
13th Aug 2006, 08:15
I live in a rural location which has limited Broadband access (although i am lucky enough to have it on my home pc but the house down the road isnt covered). How can i connect my laptop so i can just pick it up, go to a chums house and get on the net.. You can't unless your chum has a broadband connection and wireless router
Can i get a connection whereas i just pay a monthly connection fee (AOL DIALUP / BROADBAND etc...) plug it into my phone line, log on, then close it down, pop upto a chums, plug it in to their phone line and log back on again? no - broadband is line specific - so if you have it enabled for one phone line you cannot transfer your account to another.
Im not entirely sure how wireless works and where it can be used. Id rather not use my mobile phone as a gateway to the net due to the call charges. id just like to be able to plug in and go.... any techies got and advice...
All replies greatly appreciated.
Thanksall wireless is a is a base station (router), wireless card for your laptop (either built in or plugged in) and a connection to the internet (either Broadband or dialup)

What you want is unavailable except in large cities that have been set-up for widespread wireless access.

For the UK for your scenario your best bet is something like Vodaphones (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/Pay-Monthly-Data-Products.htm) 3G card that cosst £30 a month and gives you 250MB of downloads

If you only want dial-up and your lap-top has a modem installed then you can use a service like Free ISP (http://www.free-isp-uk.co.uk/free_isp.html) where you just dial a local rate number and get on the internet from any phone - obviously whoever's phone you use is going to get the bill for the call.

ormus55
14th Aug 2006, 11:00
its just possible that you can connect to your own BB from your chums house. assuming that the range isnt too far, or line of sight is good.

also possible to use a directional antenna which will help. the internet can tell you how to make one from an old baked bean tin!

if you could borrow a wireless modem/router (ie netgear834g) you could try before you buy?

just a few ideas to get you thinking...