PDA

View Full Version : 650 - what do I buy?

Secret Squire
12th Aug 2006, 10:03
Well, I awoke this morning to fined one of the very few nice letters ever to come from that bastard Brown, in the form of a cheque for 650 rebate from 2 years ago (they are speedy these days).

So rather than doing the usual student thing of spunk it up the wall in beer, what do I buy - I truly am at a loss as to what to do!!! (No, I'm not going to give it away!)

Perhaps I could use it to research the possibility of starting a subversion, taking PPRune over from within!!!! :suspect:

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 10:12
Do you need a piece of equipment such as a camera? Alternatively an engagement ring? :E TV?
What hobbies do you follow?

Secret Squire
12th Aug 2006, 10:16
Certainly not an engagement ring - don't let her see this thread now!

current thoughts are might buy all sorts of random surfing/sailing paraphanelia - 100 or so for a new wetsuit (still doing the student thing of getting el cheapio one!) but beyond that, hmm, maybe a sea kayak is the answer!!

redsnail
12th Aug 2006, 10:24
I was going to suggest a nice custom made set of leathers but you don't appear to ride a bike.

Get a nice decent wetsuit. Got any bills coming up like rego or insurance? Pay those things off too. If you can't think of any thing, chuck it in the bank untill you need a holiday.

tony draper
12th Aug 2006, 10:31
Buy a nice Strat and a 100 watt amp and annoy the neighbours.

UniFoxOs
12th Aug 2006, 10:54
Dirty weekend.

UFO

joe2812
12th Aug 2006, 11:10
Personal Title? :E

Craggenmore
12th Aug 2006, 11:10
Online stocks and shares trading kit or maybe a currency spread betting kit. Now you can turn your £650 into £6,500...

Farrell
12th Aug 2006, 11:18

That's the spirit, soldier!

markflyer6580
12th Aug 2006, 13:33
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RANGER-CUB-CLASSIC-KIT-CAR_W0QQitemZ270015894572QQihZ017QQcategoryZ29750QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

laugh? I nearly shat:}

AcroChik
12th Aug 2006, 13:45
I'd pay down un-secured (credit card) debt. That's the single most important and effective thing a person can do to improve their overall personal financial situaton with a modest windfall.

Someone hinted that you scuba dive. You live in the UK. The water's cold. Forget a wetsuit, get a dry suit! The increased comfort will add hugely to diving pleasure. Also, the additional buoyancy control of a dry suit adds to safety (assuming you dive with a BCD). The best are:

http://www.dui-online.com/

Got a dry suit? Get a great first- and second-stage regulator and octopus regulator. Atomic makes the best, hands down:

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/safe_seconds.html

"Online stocks and shares trading kit or maybe a currency spread betting kit. Now you can turn your 650 into 6,500..."

Don't even think about following that suggestion.

Jerricho
12th Aug 2006, 13:48
I'll have a rum and coke thanks :ok:

Unwell_Raptor
12th Aug 2006, 14:14
Hmmmmm

100 cheap meals for two.
1 really good meal for two
65 Ryanair tickets to somewhere in Eastern Europe that you have never even seen on a map (plus tax and wheelchair charge - say two grand)
Two comfy train tickets to Edinburgh and back
20 cheap hookers
One fairly good hooker
A good lawyer for one hour
200 pints of lager in my local (30 change)
3 months' insurance for a seventeen year-old in a Vauxhall Corsa 1 litre
Just under four months' council tax on my modest house
One half of a stupid looking handbag from one of these West End shops that targets siilly women with too much money and not enough brain.

Chesty Morgan
12th Aug 2006, 14:25
Sixty five thousand one pence sweets:ok:

Rollingthunder
12th Aug 2006, 16:00
Buy a few flying lessons. Get a new view of the planet. See what you think.

planeenglish
12th Aug 2006, 16:22
what do I buy?

Nothing, give it to me. :} Let's see...650 British Pound = 964.234 Euro

That'll get me approximately 10 hours of flight time...sounds grand, thanks very much.

On second thought make that 9 hours flight time and a round for the bar! Jerricho'll have a rum and coke...Chesty what'll you be havin' then? :ok: Who's next?

PE

Freddy Forks
12th Aug 2006, 16:27
whatever you decide to do with it, spend it abroad so Brown cant get his grubby hands on some of it in the form of VAT

Buster Cherry
12th Aug 2006, 16:52

A nice Strat? for £650? :ugh: Mr Draper, you disapoint.

A nice Strat (http://www.roxymusic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=finc&Product_Code=0117702&Category_Code=art)

Even Better..... Get a Gibson (http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/townshendsg.html);)

Craggenmore
12th Aug 2006, 17:53
Don't even think about following that suggestion.
You're right, how silly of me to have suggested that, I forgot that no one in the world buys or sells shares or trades currency!

Even Better..... Get a Gibson
A nice Les Paul would do the trick :}

Loose rivets
12th Aug 2006, 18:06
So rather than doing the usual student thing of spunk it up the wall in beer, what do I buy -

Well, for one thing, you might buy yourself a course in "More Picturesque Speech." As Reader's Digest used to put it.

On the other hand...this is JB:}

flowman
12th Aug 2006, 18:25
If you go to http://www.the80semporium.co.uk/forsale/ there is quite a nice little car for sale that would look good with your surf board on the roof.
And you get 50 quid change!

wasdale
12th Aug 2006, 19:07
A bung in the right place to become Lord Squire:rolleyes:

+'ve ROC
12th Aug 2006, 19:24
Six Hundred and Fifty? I'd probably buy myself a nice money-clip or something...

:}

beamer
12th Aug 2006, 21:07
Easy - A HOOKER

BRISTOL RFC have an excellent candidate well past his sell-by date, ex-England and a consumate actor. I could not possibly mention his name but his namesake was the lead copper in the Sweeney, Jack R****.......................................

tony draper
13th Aug 2006, 10:59
One has a map in one's possession of the Wash,it shows the exact whereabouts of King Johns lost crown jewels under the sand,with just this map and shovel you could become a very weathy man,it was one's intention to dig it up oneself but one has a bad leg and cannot do so at the mo, so so being a kindhearted cove and learning that you seek a good investment for a mere 500 pounds one would forward a photocopy of said map.
One does not take paypal.
:rolleyes:

matt_hooks
13th Aug 2006, 11:05
One has a copy of the same map, I'll do you it for 450!

One has been in posession for some time, but there's something about quicksands and fast tides that mean one has not got round to actually taking spade to sand!

G-ZUZZ
13th Aug 2006, 11:31
One almost certainly hates to have one's clever and subtle wit over-emphasised by enthusiastic amateurs so one suspects one other will not be reponding to yet another one's above repartee.

MagnusP
14th Aug 2006, 11:42
Add another 150 and buy the AER Domino acoustic amp. Best on the planet.
http://www.aer-amps.de/Sites/sites_ENG/productpages/domino.htm

And if you decide you don't want it, PM me, and I'll send you the forwarding address. :ok:

got banned
14th Aug 2006, 14:43
BIC longboard - £650 should just about cover it- they'd probably throw in a leash and bag for that.

Failing that, buy some FTSE tracker units under a tax free ISA shelter whilst the markets nervous.

Don't invest in property units, as the bubbles about to burst.

AcroChik
14th Aug 2006, 14:52
You're right, how silly of me to have suggested that, I forgot that no one in the world buys or sells shares or trades currency!

The global FX market is the largest financial market in the world. It's a highly quantitative discipline populated by professionals working for massive institutions.

The equity markets are similar in their scope, though globally smaller than FX.

The reality is that successful trading is a highly counter-intuitive game in which over 90% of retail investors lose money due to lack of knowledge, following bad, self-serving advice, and a fundamental inability to measure risk against potential reward. It's not a game for amateurs.

Do something else with the money (please).

got banned
14th Aug 2006, 15:05
Yeh, the financial world is full of so-called "advisors," who claim to be able to invest your money for maximum returns, wheras in fact, no-one can beat the chaos theory with any certainty.

Stick to the longboard- there's more chance of you being able to predict the waves and weather, than there is of predicting the markets. And you'll probably be happier!

Bluesteel705
14th Aug 2006, 15:54
Well, I happen to represent the estate of the recently deceased Umboto Umbashu, a very very wealthy oil engineer here in Nigeria. Unfortunately Mr Umbashu, may he rest in peace, was killed in an automobile accident along with his entire family. He has left with me securities, bonds and cash amounting to some $150, 000, 000 USD. Now unfortunately the laws of my country prohibit me from accessing this money, therefore Mr. Secret Squire, if you transfer to me your 650 by telegraphic transfer, I will make all necessary arrangements for this money to be deposited in your account for safekeeping for a preiod of 2 years. I know I can trust you as you are a man of God. After this period I will move the money back into my account, and you may keep the interest. I await your reply most humbly.

Your Friend in God

The Hon. Bluesteel

:E