PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Goods and New Hand Baggage Regulations

View From The Ground
12th Aug 2006, 08:10
Now that this specific plot APPEARS to have been thwarted are the new hand baggage regulations creating a greater danger from unsuitable items checked into the hold. As most pilots and groundstaff will be aware there is a significant list of items that are allowed in cabin baggage and/or on the person which are NOT allowed to be checked in to the hold of the aircraft. Safety matches for example may be carried on the person only. How many of these items are now without another thought being checked into the hold creating an additional hazard?

HZ123
12th Aug 2006, 09:16
A very valid point and also it increases the threat to hold baggage screening and creates yet another concern for the authorities. The situation cannot continue and it will only be a matter of days before they reinstate cabin baggage. The irony being that airlines were promoting more cabin baggage. I would imagine a big increase in security tax on tickets and investment in equipment which is long overdue and was surely inevitable.

chandlers dad
12th Aug 2006, 13:25
The crazy part of this is that you cannot at this time take a newspaper, magazine or paperback book onboard. Considering that you will be sitting for up to 10 hours and the majority of the airlines have anything to read, its easy to see that this decision has not been thought out fully.

Who knows how long it will be before we can take a laptop, cell phone or Ipod back in the cabin but considering that they can be modified into a detonator can understand this.

The Otter's Pocket
12th Aug 2006, 13:58
I believe that you can now take some of these items onboard. Ie newspapers, magazines, books and even ipods.

However you have to purchase them airside.

Now that is good news for WH Smiths and Dixons:mad:

However what use an Ipod without music is beats me:}

rumpelstiltskin
12th Aug 2006, 13:59
Trouble is they seem to be flailing around just banning anything and everything for what, a book, for crying out loud who thinks this crap up ? there is already paper in the bogs !

keel beam
12th Aug 2006, 14:39
there is already paper in the bogs !

But not very interesting to read... mind you there are the sanitary towel packets:E

747-436
12th Aug 2006, 14:46
So you can buy papers etc airside but not bring them in yourself, anyone here the sound of Tills ringing and BAA making a tidy sum out of this?

blue up
12th Aug 2006, 15:06
Jeez! The pax might ACTUALLY get SOOOOOOOooooo bored that they read the safety cards properly (all the way through!!!!):eek:

Now they can't bring their smaokes on board, where do you think the cigarette lighters have all gone? Down in the hold with all of the other combustibles?

hingey
12th Aug 2006, 18:29
If an ipod were to be used as a detonater, it could still be purchased airside if a terrorist group were well organised.

I gather books and magazines were banned as they could be soaked in volatile fluid. What next, ban all flammable material? No seat covers, clothes, rip out the aisle carpets etc.

h

VP8
13th Aug 2006, 12:39
So you can buy papers etc airside but not bring them in yourself, anyone here the sound of Tills ringing and BAA making a tidy sum out of this?

The Head BAA honcho here at STN was on the local news prog and said that the shops airside were looking forward to making a tidy profit out of this:suspect:

VEEPS

TightSlot
14th Aug 2006, 06:14
I think we have got as far as we can get here, and with the change of rules on hand-baggage announced this morning, it is time to close this thread.

A new thread has been started by BEagle, SECURITY - Revised Uk Rules (14 Aug 2006) (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238932) and I've made it stick to the forum top for a while: Please continue your discussions there.