PDA

View Full Version : IE6 broken with pprune?

IO540
11th Aug 2006, 21:02
I have just got the latest M$ updates, and IE6 now regularly crashes on the pprune.org website. Generally at login time.

I have had to stop using it and use Firefox instead.

Win2000 SP4, all fully updated.

BOAC
11th Aug 2006, 21:22
Still working with me post update.

Maybe just worth a look at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204915 ? Not sure what the updates have done, but...........................

IO540
11th Aug 2006, 21:26
Usually it happens after a login, then the usual "thank you for loggin in" message appears, and then the popup box with "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" appears and the browser shuts down.

Weird.

rotorcraig
12th Aug 2006, 18:57
Could this Microsoft hot fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923762/en-us) be relevant?

Article ID : 923762
Last Review : August 11, 2006
Revision : 1.1

Consider the following scenario. You run Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack (SP1) or Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (SP4). You install the Internet Explorer cumulative security update that is documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 918899. In this scenario, Internet Explorer unexpectedly exits when you view a Web site that uses the HTTP 1.1 protocol and compression.RC

IO540
13th Aug 2006, 07:02
This looks exceedingly close to it, Rotorcraig - if you don't hear any more thanit has fixed it. Thank you!

However, M$ are not issuing the fix online, you have to request it :yuk:

It's actually easier for me to use Firefox, for pprune and any other site that doesn't work.

Edit: this seems to have done it; I used the "workaround" described in that M$ page of disabling HTTP 1.1 (whatever that is?) since I can't be bothered to contact M$ UK to scrounge the fix from them. Presumably it is a new Urlmon.dll file dated 4/8/2006 - does anybody have this file?

rotorcraig
13th Aug 2006, 16:53
Glad to have helped.

Agree it's not Micro$oft's finest hour ... the bug gets automatically downloaded as part of the montly "fix" cycle, then you need to phone up and ask for a manual fix!

RC