PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Interview in JHB

Airforce1
11th Aug 2006, 20:34
So Cathay are interviewing in September in JHB, was just wondering how many people actually have been invited?
If anyone could comment on the numbers they interview normally in a sitting???

putt for dough
12th Aug 2006, 01:58
So Cathay are interviewing in September in JHB, was just wondering how many people actually have been invited?
If anyone could comment on the numbers they interview normally in a sitting???

Airforce 1...

Correction, they are interviewing right now IE: Aug....
You are correct in a way, they have already invited jocks for the September
interviews:ok:

The boys/galls that are succesfull now, will be called back in
NOVEMBER for sim check...
Good luck my sons!!!!!!

putt for dough
12th Aug 2006, 02:03
pss.......
heard that a 1900 jock has been called for the
September interviews.....
So keep them heads high boys!!!!

Peace out my china's:ok:

Q4NVS
12th Aug 2006, 10:14
Yeah, they were interviewing the last 2 days or so.
I know of 6 guys that went - with the interviews lasting in excess of an hour, i'm not sure that they can do all that many....

This weeks interviewees should know by next friday whether they are going 2 HKG for phase 2 in November. Those who get the 2nd nod should get a start date within the 1st half of 2007. :cool:

And yes, the next sessions are scheduled for September, I gather.

Pointer if interested, plan 4 approximately 4 years as a SO. :eek:

SKYTORT
12th Aug 2006, 12:38
Well I hope there is more than one 1900 jock that got called!

What is the experience level of those that have been invited for the interviews???

Regards

One of the lucky ones!!!!!!

beechbum
12th Aug 2006, 13:50
The present interviews lasted the whole of last week. I heard a rumour that quite a few SAA crew attended the sessions in the week........numbers of at least 30 or so. As well as 15 Comair guys - 14 F/O's and one Captain - I think.Skytort you can work out the experience level from there.....:ok:
Are the Airways guys starting their bail applications..................???

SIC
12th Aug 2006, 16:01
At recent CX interviews in other parts of the world the average guy being interviewed for SO position was flying a jet with 3500 or more TT. Quite a few guys with heavy metal on their names but in general RJ,Fokker, 737 etc.
HOWEVER that doesnt mean that propdrivers should give up - CX is notorious for not caring too much what your background is and they still hire plenty guys of turbo props.
Good Luck

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Aug 2006, 17:51
How do they feel about us old timers?:}

Been mailing CVs but not even a reply thus far...:(

EagleWings
12th Aug 2006, 17:54
Here is a King Air 200 jock that has been lucky enough to get the invite too! So I guess they not only looking at guys with time on heavy stuff!

Ibanez
13th Aug 2006, 07:48
the average guy being interviewed for SO position was flying a jet with 3500 or more TT
Got the call with 1600TT and going for second interview soon. Keep those CV's posted! :ok:

Airforce1
13th Aug 2006, 22:35
Boy oh boy, so the Cathay recruitment team must just laugh at the experience of pilots wanting to join from SA. I just wonder though, is it all worth it doing the Second Officer thing for so long.....?
suppose should leave this comment for the Fragrant Harbour thread.:oh:

Good luck chaps

Frogman1484
13th Aug 2006, 23:52
Let me thinks about that 3-4 years as an SO with Cx...or at SAA. Ummm...:eek:

whodunnit2
14th Aug 2006, 03:28
I joined Cx around 6 years ago with about 2000 hours TT mostly GA but a couple of hundred hours in turboprops. The average SO applicant today does on average have 3500 hours as someone else correctly pointed out BUT I have friends in SA who are still getting the call with the same experience levels that I had when I joined.

As for CX vs SAA.... A number of my friends who joined SAA in the past six years are now sitting on the CX seniority list doing their 3 or 4 years as SO's. One bloke is even sitting at CX Freighters! That must say something!

Hopefully many of the guys/girls who have just interviewed will be joining us in the Fragrant Harbour.

Good luck.

W2

dynamite dean
14th Aug 2006, 16:52
I had 1001 hours and 960hours on a Pa28 and rest on a commanche back in 2002 and managed to get to the Sime ride on the classic; amazing experience from which I learned a lot. I was the least exeperienced at the time no doubt my CV 'plummeted' to the bottom of the pile with Carol after that! At the time they had 20,000 applicants on file and that was then (!!!!) So those that do get through whilst you can't put it on your CV be aware that if you go through you are very very lucky chap!:D

Frogman1484
15th Aug 2006, 04:11
The good thing about Cathay is that their selection process is fair. If you get invited to the interview, they do think you can make it through. If they interview 20 applicants and all 20 are good, all 20 will get the job. No quotas or show or any other bull that happens at other airlines starting with an S.
And you can be a white hetrosexual male!!! :D :ok:

kingpost
15th Aug 2006, 05:19
Hey guys I heard from a souce that a training captain on the A340/330 from Emirates went to CX as an SO, he is probably earning more at CX and has a better lifestyle.

CX vs EK, it use to be strong competition with CX guys coming to EK but with the DEC policy at EK the tables have turned, CX still offer a career whilst EK offer your what's in your 'contract', take it or leave attitude. CX vs SAA, difficult one, it is up to he individual however long term I would go CX, the drawback would be living in HKG, although it's probably safer than JNB & CPT.

Good luck to you all

FToast
15th Aug 2006, 06:23
Hey guys I heard from a souce that a training captain on the A340/330 from Emirates went to CX as an SO, he is probably earning more at CX and has a better lifestyle.

Hi Kingpost,

What are you on and can I have some?

kingpost
15th Aug 2006, 07:28
FToast

What are you on and can I have some?

Right now I'm on pure nescafe coffee and yes you can have some. The chap who went to CX is not a lie, oops maybe I had too many sugars

FToast
15th Aug 2006, 07:47
:)

That is one very strange move from one guy. It certainly isn't a trend.

Cheers

kingpost
15th Aug 2006, 10:21
Maybe not a trend yet, however the grapevine has rumoured that a senior examiner is leaving to become a FO for a far eastern cargo outfit - now that's 2.

Just because their aircraft are shiney and new doesn't mean that they treat you great - each to his own.

Cheers

Frogman1484
15th Aug 2006, 12:11
TRUE True....EK training guy did join CX...I have a very good friend at EK and he is happy. Lets put it this way both EK and CX offer a good career, good jets and good money Cx offers bases around the world, EK does not. At Cx and at EK you can buy your own house and get the company to pay it off for you (not many airlines in the world allow you to do that!!!), which at the end of your carreer can be worth a lot of money. I do not even think you can compare what is offered from these two airlines with what SAA offers. SAA is probably the best job in SA (if you happy to live there), but I think the politics within and the way it is managed is its down fall.:ok: :ok: :ok:

Beta Light
15th Aug 2006, 12:33
Heard over a beer in Hong Kong that there will be 3 lists in S.A.
1) Turbo prop ( lower time guys) for S/O , will sit in the middle seat for approx. 4 years
2) Experienced guys - (S.A.A. Comair I guess) - to go on a Direct Entry F/O list. As soon as the vote is passed by the union these guys will get starting dates.
3) Guys for freighter F/O positions that can go on bases- (have right to abode)- in Europe.

Only rumour, but seems to make sence reading from above posts.

cpt hamna sheeda
15th Aug 2006, 20:43
Believe me the story of the EK guy going to CX is true.

About experience;

In my group of 10 (2nd interview, last july), most of the guys were from the regionals, 1 flew a B1900 and 1 flew the Twotter in the Maldives. The last one made it with 2 others.

Good luck!

ALPHA FLOOR
16th Aug 2006, 03:32
ALL true.... An ex EK 777 training Captain has just finished his CX finesse course in AUS and has started his career as S/O with CX at the end of July WITH MORE FOLLOWING HIM.

Experience...... guys joined with me who had 1500hrs and NO turbine and very little multi (10hrs).

DEFO...... A ways off for RSA only passports without AUSSIE residence or work permits.

Getting an Interview.......... IT's UP TO YOU. How fequently do you update your application and call recruitment for "a chat". If you have never gotten a reply or application form then you have not being sending your CV to the right place (see the careers section of CX website). CX policy to reply to every single application regardless of experience, and if you meet minimum experience requirement you WILL get an application form.

Life in HKG....... life is what you make of it. There are major changes from what you are used to in RSA - but mostly good.

F.Y.I......... There was only one round of interviews planned for JNB this year but when it came time for interview selections there was a pile big enough for another week - hence September interviews & yes there are a few GA guys with Minimum experience and NO turbine time who are in the pipe line.

NOW STOP SPECULATING AND GET ON WITH SORTING OUT YOUR CV.

AF

tournesol
17th Aug 2006, 18:48
just being curious, would they consider any non-whites ? i know in the past they didn't.
cheers.

340_co-jock
18th Aug 2006, 09:13
Hi Alpha Floor
Check your pm. I have just sent you an email.
Cheers

whodunnit2
19th Aug 2006, 06:30
Anybody heard if they will be attending round two yet?

Frogman1484
20th Aug 2006, 01:05
just being curious, would they consider any non-whites ? i know in the past they didn't.
cheers.

CX does have a pilot from Botswana...so unlike SAA your skin does not count in the interview it is your personality and skills that will get you in.

:ok:

stillalbatross
22nd Aug 2006, 02:09
Temp bases available in JNB as well so if you miss watching your 'boks play rugby you can take a temp base each year and not lose any of your HKG pay or housing allowance during. You have to find your own accomodation while on the base though and they last for 2-4 months. Food for thought for the homesick.

monkeygirl
25th Aug 2006, 14:10
Good day all,
My husband received a call late yesterday w/an offer for an Oct interview. I am trying to be supportive and help him prep and would love to surprise him w/the HTBJ so he can study -- but I've no clue what in the world that is...would any of you be so kind as to help me out?
BTW, what do your wives think of your schedule? What's a typical DEFO's monthly schedule like?
Thanks!
Monkeygirl

putt for dough
25th Aug 2006, 14:31
HTBJ is a book writen by D.P Davies called
Handling The Big Jets

monkeygirl
25th Aug 2006, 14:44
THANKS! Good will back at ya. Blue skies.