PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fancy a bonfire?

lexxity
11th Aug 2006, 20:02
My next door neighbour is a bloody nuisance, he has what can only be described as a jungle growing in his garden. We asked him if we could go in and prune and lop where neccessary and he said no because he was leaving it like that for "the birds". His house, I should explain, is falling to pieces because basically he is a lazy fecker who never speaks to anyone. This chap is not old he is in his late thirties/early forties and is a security guard at a supermarket.

He also has a series two landrover rotting in his drive. What I want are creative suggestions for bringing the jungle into check and also if anyone can tell me my legal position then I would be very grateful.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/lexxity/DSCN1819.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/lexxity/DSCN1817.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/lexxity/DSCN1816.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/lexxity/DSCN1815.jpg

Hurrumph.

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 20:16
Well firstly if anything is overhanging your land boundary you are perfectly within your rights to lop it back to the line, there's some old law that you have to offer him the cuttings back tho.

Other than that, if his trees are cutting off sun to your garden etc. then you might have a case but it could take years to get anything done in the courts.

If he's untidy and the garden could be considered a haven for vermine, for example if he is leaving large amounts of food out for birds, which is almost guaranteed to attract rats, then a quick call to environmtental health at your local council might get something sorted.

As for the landrover, check on local by-laws regarding any sort of restriction on what he can have in his front garden. You'd be surprised how many places have laws against keeping certain things in the front garden!

To be perfectly honest tho, without taking the law into your own hands, which I seriously would not recommend, there's not much you can do if no health hazard exists and he owns the property.

Of course you might be able to get somewhere if the roots from his trees are intruding under your ground and causing the possibility of damage to the structure of your home.

The best thing you can do is seek advice from your local citizens advice bureau, they should be able to track down any local legislation relating to the issues!

Good luck sorting it out.

As a last resort you could consider moving? :sad:

colmac747
11th Aug 2006, 20:19
As far as i know, the legal position is that if it encroaches your garden, then lopping is a must.

Personally, i'd be tempted to just start hacking away and see what happens:hmm:
As for the birds, and is a commonly known term on this forum(;) ) - shoot the feckers:E

As an aside, Lexxy, i think i'm going to enjoy this thread as my next door neighbourS are both equally as lazy, self-righteous, mealy-mouthed, good-for-nothing Terry Feckwits.

Anyhoo,'tis your thread, my dear, and am gonna sit back and watch everyone's neighbours get a flaming:ok:

arcniz
11th Aug 2006, 20:25
'Girdling' is gradual and effective. Works for limbs as well as mainstems. Can be done quite discretely, if that is one's goal.

Otherwise, you might look up his ma and nicely give her some thoughts about the gaps in his understanding of greenery. Leverage there, maybe.

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 20:29
You can shoot them, but to avoid falling foul of firearms law and animal protection law you need to make sure you only ever shoot species which are on the pest list, and that you have the right to shoot them with the type of weapon you propose to use. In a garden like that I'd suggest the only safe type of weapon would be an air rifle, which limits the prey species even more!

Also, and this is IMPERATIVE, you can ONLY shoot birds which are on or over YOUR ground. And any projectile cannot land outside your land either. This is firearms legislation and carries a 5 year term if breached. Basically if a projectile lands outside of your property then you have committed armed trespass and they WILL bend you over a large barrel and do unspeakable things to you!

If you decide that you need to do a little culling, all the advice you need is HERE (http://www.airguns-online.co.uk/you_and_the_law.htm)

mcgoo
11th Aug 2006, 20:47
wait till he goes out and spray some herbicide over the fence.

tony draper
11th Aug 2006, 21:05
Thats exactly the kind of garden one would like, tiz one with nature,tiz groomed lawns and plastic gnomes that are artificial.

:rolleyes:

green granite
11th Aug 2006, 21:32
If you consider his behavoir or in this case lack of it, and the fact the trees etc are causing a nuisance try threatening him with an ASBO, it's not just for loud mouthed holigans, talk to the person on the otherside of his garden and see how they feel as well.

frostbite
11th Aug 2006, 21:41
I thought that was my garden for a minute!

Be like my neighbour who paid me a serious sum to let him have a tree removed at his expense.

As stated, anything that overhangs your boundary can be removed without reference to your neighbour. If he is genuinely feeding birds then good on him.

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2006, 21:50
As the title of this thread suggests, a well-placed bonfire (on YOUR property of course) of sufficient voracity to develop a 'firestorm' plume of hot gases, and with the wind in the appropriate quarter, will scorch the foliage of his vegetation thus giving you at least a seaonal respite (and maybe a permanent relief). It's surprising how effective 'hot air' can be in devastating chlorophyl.
Starting from scratch, you will need several wooden pallets, stacked so that 'vents' and flues will develop within the conflagration, and surrounded with dry, tindrous material (preferably previously SOAKED in a flammable low-octane material - petrol is too volatile - such as paraffin or engine oil). Collect dead branches and old timbers from your neighbours (other neighbours) and build a 'wigwam' so that the draught will enter the base and accelerate the rate-of-burn. You might have seen (Guy Fawkes) bonfires that thrust burning embers high into the stratosphere, that is what you are trying to create. Together with a favourable prevailing breeze and you're sorted. At the same time (just before you light YOUR fire) fill a garden-sprayer with paraffin and douse any reachable vegetation, so that even if they aren't scorched, then the greenery will wilt. This can be credited as an (unfortunate) side effect of your legal garden rubbish fire.

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 22:01
Yes, that might well work though I would question the wisdom of such a course of action in the current weather.

Might be a plan to keep the garden hose handy in case you are a little TOO succesful in scorching the foliage. Or a mobile phone handy with 999 pre-programmed!

And remember you could be liable for any damage caused by your bonfire, accidental or otherwise!

Unwell_Raptor
11th Aug 2006, 22:02
Be very cautious and take proper advice. These days you are obliged to declare neighbour disputes when selling your house, and this can knock thousands off the value. Many councils have a mediation service which is well worth a try before attempting to get heavy handed.

An ounce of agrement is better than a pound of law.

PS - forget the ASBO. It's a non-starter.

Buster Hyman
11th Aug 2006, 22:07
Spread a rumour that he's been convicted of crimes of the same ilk as The Guvnor!:=

G-CPTN
11th Aug 2006, 22:11
Spread a rumour that he's been convicted of crimes of the same ilk as The Guvnor!:=
Do you mean D*nny? :confused:

Buster Hyman
11th Aug 2006, 22:19
No. I mean that once a neighbourhood gets wind of someone like that...well...matters are taken care of....

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 23:00
See now that's just plain evil, I personally wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining someones life by spreading rumours like that about them!

He wants him to cut his trees down, not get him killed!

Buster Hyman
12th Aug 2006, 06:18
Yeah, but the new neighbour might be more accommodating....wrt the trees.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 06:32
C A L M D O W N Matt Hook . . . :=
. . . it's just Jet Blast :p

lexxity
12th Aug 2006, 08:55
As a last resort you could consider moving?

Nah it's not worth moving over, it's just a pain not the end of the world, on the plus sound we nevr hear or see him. He could be dead and noone would know.

Never once has he fed the birds he reckons his trees are for. I don't want them cutting down all together, just lopping. They haven't been touched for donkeys years according to other neighbours who've lived here longer than we have. On chap across th road has seen our neighbour TWICE in ten years. Odd eh? I think I'll check up on the landy in the front garden and also ask him if he wants his trees in the front garden pruning back from over the pavement. I'll go and have another chat about his trees, failing that I'll just prune what is on my side and maybe my chainsaw will "slip".

Grainger
12th Aug 2006, 08:59
Agent Orange ?

Buster Hyman
12th Aug 2006, 09:33
Agent Smith works better and has been around for about as long...

http://www.hall-of-mirrors.com/labyrinth/Agent%20Smith%20and%20Kennedy.jpg

squeaker
12th Aug 2006, 09:38
Napalm....

monarch of mars
12th Aug 2006, 15:44
Copper nails,hammered into the trunk,slow but affective.

Monarch of Mars.

seacue
12th Aug 2006, 18:19
Pity you don't have a busy-body County as I do. I value my neighbor because their place is kept worse than mine ... but one Friday morning there was loud grunting of heavy machinery. It came from a large front-end loader. The County had arrived to clean up my neighbor's two-acre place. This continued all of Friday and Saturday and filled a number of large dump trucks. At least a couple of defunct cars were found under the vines. A few years have passed and "stuff" is again accumulating.

When their children were late teens / 20-ish they harbored "assistant children" and as many as 11 cars were in the driveway and along the street, many of them operable.

(aviation connection) On the day that TWA put a 727 into the mountain near Berryville, VA, my neighbor's tin garden shed rolled across their yard like a ball and the rear gutter of their house came off. It was a very windy day and the TWA crew misinterpreted the MDA on the chart when trying to follow ATC instriuctions to land at Dulles instead of DCA. There was too much crosswind for DCA.

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 20:05
aye aye cap'n, message received and understood! :ok:

Now where did I leave my copper nails???

SXB
12th Aug 2006, 20:45
Lexxity

Generally speaking you have the right to trim any trees which overhang your boundary and, as someone else rightly pointed out, you have to give the cuttings back to your neighbour. However, you have to be very careful that none of the trees are subject to preservation orders, anyone can ask a local authority to protect a tree with a preservation order (grounds can be 'it's a great looking tree and it's fairly old) and if you start lopping off branches of a tree under such an order you'd be in a lot of trouble. Your local authority will be able to tell you if any trees in your neighbours garden are subject to such an order.

A lot of those trees in your picture look mature and very close to both properties, as a rough rule of thumb it's possible for roots to damage a property if the distance between the tree and property is less than half the height of the tree. If there is danger or damage then the owner of the tree is liable for removal and damage, if he won't remove then the local authority will do it on his behalf and pursue him for the costs.

Someone else mentioned something about trees or hedges blocking sunlight, this is more complicated and before reducing the height of anything (that isn't yours), especially a hedge, you should seek legal advice before taking any action.

As for the Land Rovers I'm not sure you can do anything unless they are connected to someone running a business from the property, which, of course, would be in breach of planning regulations as the property is a dwelling for living.

Good luck. Any course of action should be well thought through simply because you have to live next door to the guy, though I'm sure you've already thought of that !

seacue
12th Aug 2006, 20:51
Is there a limit to the number of non-operable / broken vehicles that can be visible on a residential property? My area has a limit of one (1).

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 21:16
That entirely depends on any local by laws sea.

I'd say that the chance of being able to get anything done about it is small, unless there is some kind of health risk!

frostbite
12th Aug 2006, 21:28
"you have to give the cuttings back to your neighbour"

Not so - you are supposed to offer them (not that my neighbour ever has!).

SXB
12th Aug 2006, 21:49
Frostbite, They belong to your neighbour so you have to make every reasonable effort to return them, it's like money, you can send a cheque but the recipient is under no obligation to present it for payment. The most effective way to ensure tree cuttings are returned to their rightful owner is to lob them over the fence into the property of the said inconsiderate b*stard.

My next door neighbour only jumps over the fence and trims the trees on my property when my wife decides to sunbathe in her bikini, whenever I feel they are encroaching too much I just tell her to get her kit off and get out there:)