PDA

View Full Version : Games for 30+ year olds

colmac747
11th Aug 2006, 20:38
With apologies to the member Basil, this ingenious idea came to mind.

ExSimGuy
11th Aug 2006, 20:47
With apologies to the member Basil, this ingenious idea came to mind.
So what was it? Don't keep us in suspenders :E

Buster Hyman
11th Aug 2006, 23:23
Don't keep us in suspenders
Perhaps that was the game...can we pick who's wearing them?:E

matt_hooks
11th Aug 2006, 23:58
Then walk up in front of them and give them a good old twang!

We ARE talking about the ENGLISH variety of suspenders aren't we, not the american version? :uhoh:

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 00:00
There's always tenter hooks.

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 00:03
OK, what exactly ARE tenter hooks?

I'm sure somebody on here must know, they seem to know everything else!

tony draper
12th Aug 2006, 00:45
Kippers old chap, look up kippers, all will be revealed.
:rolleyes:

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 00:50
I've looked into many a kipper in my time, and I've never seen a hook in one!

A quick googlage has revealed this (http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/tender.html) little gem.

(click the underlined bit!)

tony draper
12th Aug 2006, 00:57
Hmmm, one thunk they were the hooks they hung herring on in smoke houses to turn em into kippers,one could have been wrong of course,there is a precident, it has happened once before, hmmm september 1953 I thinks it were.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 00:58
True, oh queen, but they'm also what the gutted herring are staked-out on when subjected to smoking.
http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/fishtales/preparation/index.html
It is believed that the world's 1st kipper was produced by accident by John Woodger in Seahouses in 1843. Some spilt herring were left in a shed where a fire had been left on overnight. The next morning, the split herring were discovered and considered all 'ruined' by the smoke. However, one of these 'ruined' fish was tasted and the kipper was born.

(I suspect that the phrase REALLY originated in the woollen weaving trade - before it became an 'industry' - for the rows of hooks on which washed cloth was hung to dry and resist shrinkage. http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ont1.htm )
The word has been in the language since the fourteenth century, and on tenters soon after became a phrase meaning painful anxiety. The exact phrase on tenterhooks seems first to have been used by Tobias Smollett in Roderick Random in 1748.

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 01:07
Such rapid searching, every time I think I've found an interesting and relevant snippet, I come back to find your post edited with the information I've just found inserted! :D

tony draper
12th Aug 2006, 01:21
One used to have a head stuffed full of both usefull and useless snippets at one time this was in the days before google or pub quizes, otherwise one would prolly be a milliaire now, peeps would travel miles just to ask one for arcane pieces of information they could find nowhere else,
'Its no good, Britanica says nought of it, the OED is dumb on the subject, we have but one option now,Carruthers, find out what time the first train to Newcastle is"
Its still all there, one is sure,its just one's noggin refuses one access to it now. :(

matt_hooks
12th Aug 2006, 01:32
And there was I thinking I was the only suppository of useless trivia and slightly "dodgy" "facts"

But then am a mere whippersnapper, tho my short 26 years have been well packed with voracious consumption of knowledge-giving literary self abuse.

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 02:03
And there was I thinking I was the only suppository of useless trivia and slightly "dodgy" "facts"
Well if you WILL shove it up your @rse I'm not surprised it takes you a while to find it.

BTW matt, one used to reside near Bedford, and only this evening I was reminiscing about eating places (we were in a Greek restaurant, and our first ever Greek meal was in a place in Midland Road - probably 1972 or 3). Our most favourite was 'Sorrentino's' in Ram Yard, a tiny Italian restaurant run by two brothers with Mamma doing the cooking! I imagine both are now long gone . . .

Edited to add that a Googoo search has found the Villa Rosa Italian restaurant in Ram Yard, and the restaurant in Midland Road is now a Seafood restaurant (fish and chips?). The OTHER Greek restaurant in St Peters Street persists. Do they still smash plates?

Out of town, Milton Earnest Hall was run by an eccentric part-time antique dealer as a Guest House and Restaurant. The food was exotic (and unusual) but DELICIOUS! After his death the place folded, though I believe it persisted as a Garden Centre! We MIGHT be revisiting Oakley on Sunday 20th August (next weekend).
Do you know Tart1 who also claims Bedford as her place of dwelling?

ORAC
12th Aug 2006, 08:08
OED:

Tenter: 1. A wooden framework on which cloth is stretched after being milled, so that it may set or dry evenly and without shrinking.

13??: Charter Holy Ghost (Vernon MS) in Hampole's Wks
"Whon pe lewes hedden pus nayled Criston pe cros as men dop clop on a tey[n]tur".

1408: Nottingham Rec "To Johannes London occupat unum croftum cum taynters".

1435: Coventry Leet Bk "No walker off the Cite of Couentre... shall Rakke no Clothe on the Tey[n]tur that schall be solde ffor wette-clothe".......

Tenterhooks:

1. One of the hooks or bent nails set in a close row along the upper and lower bar of a tenter, by which the edges of the close are firmly held; a hooked or right-angled nail or spike; dial. a metal hook upon which anyhting is hung.

1480: Wardr Acc. Edw IV "Tentourhokes."

1492-3: Rec. St. Mary on the Hill "Item, for tayntyrhokes and ffor wachyng of the sepulture."

Sailor Vee
12th Aug 2006, 09:06
So, how come a thread about games for 30+ year olds has become another reincarnation of TRBBATPSOIT?

green granite
12th Aug 2006, 09:09
matt_hooks Welcome from another north beds resident that makes 3 of us now, you, Tart1 and myself.

G-CPTN Milton Earnest hall is now an OAP residential home, shame really as Harmer-Brown did indeed produce some excellent food. The garden center has moved down onto the Radwell rd just as you leave the village. The Greek rest. in St Peters is no more either.

Watch out for the stupid road restriction under the railway bridge going into Oakley from the Clapham end

G-CPTN
12th Aug 2006, 10:42
Didn't Shirley Abicair (an Australian lass - should've been called Sheila) play the Zimmer?

she told stories on children's television programmes about Tumburumba, and friends Tea Cup and Cothespeg (aboriginal children) and also played Australian ditties on her zither, such as "Little boy fishing off a wooden pier" and "Willie Can You Cook".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Abicair
her Australian-ness, to become her trademark.

Buster Hyman
12th Aug 2006, 10:50
Didn't Shirley Abicair (an Australian lass - should've been called Sheila) play the Zimmer?

Yes...but she was framed!:}:ouch::suspect:

tony draper
12th Aug 2006, 11:29
Didn't she used to appear in all those appaling Norman Wisdom Filums that only the Albanians like?

colmac747
12th Aug 2006, 14:42
Brilliant thread drift :D :D

This is what JetBlast is all about:p :ok: