PDA

View Full Version : ATC Priorities

dublinpilot
11th Aug 2006, 15:29
The VFR thread got me thinking about priorities. It seems as if ATC and pilots see this as being different.

The VFR thread is centred around a specific incident and I don't want to hijack that thread, so am starting this one.

Looking in MATS Part 1, Chapter 4, Section 9, there is a table of flight priorities.

Category Type of Flight
A Aircraft in emergency (e.g. engine fault, fuel shortage, seriously ill passenger). Aircraft which have declared a 'Police Emergency'. Ambulance/Medical aircraft when the safety of life is involved.

B Flights operating for search and rescue or other humanitarian reasons. Post accident flight checks. Other flights, including Open Skies Flights, authorised by the CAA.

C Royal flights Flights carrying visiting Heads of State which have been notified by NOTAM/Temporary Supplement.

D Flights notified by the CAA carrying Heads of Government or very senior government ministers.

E Flight check aircraft engaged on, or in transit to, time or weather critical calibration flights. Other flights authorised by the CAA.

NORMAL FLIGHTS
i) Flights which have filed a flight plan in the normal way and conforming with
normal routing procedures.
ii) Initial instrument flight tests conducted by the CAA Flight Examining Unit.
(RTF callsign EXAM)

Z Training, non-standard and other flights.

It would seem to me from reading the above, that commercial scheduled aircraft would fall into the Normal Flights.

It would also seem to me that VFR traffic on a VFR flight plan (whether filed in advance or an abbreviated one over the R/T such as when entering controlled airspace) would also fall into the category of Normal Flight.

This would seem to imply that they both get equal priority.

Now we all know that in practise this isn't what happens.

So my questions are:

1. Am I missing something....some other regulation which gives priority to commercial traffic, faster traffic, IFR traffic some some such?

2. Or is it simply that a controller working for an airport, while in theory is supposed to give equal priority, will have a lot of explaining to do to his boss if a commercial is delayed, but no explaining to do if a VFR is delayed? Obviously people are human, and would take the line of least resistance if this were the case.

If no 2 is the answer, is there not some part of the CAA that checks ATC standards which would provide a counterweight?

This is not intended to be a criticism. I have often offered to hold to let a commercial through first. If one of us has to go around, or orbit, it's a lot easier and efficient for me to do so in my PA28, and I don't really expect a B737 to do it instead. I simply wish to understand what is happening here, and why it doesn't seem to go according to the book.

dp

aluminium persuader
11th Aug 2006, 15:47
You're right - the priorites are the same. In general rather than commercial vs private it's instrument vs visual. Put the VFR behind the IFR & he can judge his own turn-in & separation, even if it means orbiting or extending downwind. Put the VFR in first & you have to be sure you have sufficient room for 160kts vs 75kts. Misjudge it & it's a long old re-position for the IFR tfc.

There's a whole lot of other factors involved too, like pilot capability, a/c type. pilot's familiarity with the airfield, is there a constant stream of IFR tfc etc.etc.

Further away from the field it's a question of who will get there first. Best way to answer the question is to go visit the ATC unit in question. Bring biscuits!

FlyingForFun
11th Aug 2006, 20:45
A related question: to what extent do the priorities which Dublinpilot quotes override the principal of the safe and expeditious movement of traffic?

An example which happened to me today, although I've been subject to several other examples. I was at the holding point for the runway, checks complete, and with my clearance copied. I had waited for two aircraft in front of me to depart, and I was now next for departure, with one aircraft on final. I was in a light twin, and my training flight would have been category Z.

At around this point, a commercial aircraft - B737 - called for taxy. He was given taxy clearance to a holding point a little way behind me. As he was taxying, the aircraft on final landed and cleared the runway, and I expected to be cleared to line up. Instead, the B737 was given a line up and backtrack from the intersection behind me.

The controller's explaination (which he offered me without me asking, btw) was that he had a slot to meet. Interestingly, the reason given was not to do with the category of our repsective flights.

My point is this: after he departed, I had to wait further due to his wake vortex. Alternatively, had I lined up first, he could have taxied to line up behind me without even having to come to a stop. Probably by the time he was lined up on the runway, I could have been airborne, at a safe height, and given radar vectors to take me away from his climb-out. Certainly, due to wake vortex, any delay to him would have been far less than the delay to me that was incurred by letting him go first, and I'm not convinced that a delay of (literally) a few seconds can make the difference between making a slot and not. This seems to me to be a more expeditious way of sequencing the traffic, since it removes the need for any wake vortex delays.

So how significant are factors like prioritisation categories and the need to get commercial airways flights away on time, compared to running a generally expeditious operation? Not a complaint, by the way, just a query.

FFF
-----------

niknak
11th Aug 2006, 21:15
FFF

in this particular instance I can only imagine that the aircraft in question was on the verge of missing his slot, that being the case it would get priority over any other IFR or VFR aircraft (except emergencies of course).
Otherwise, I can't see why you would have been delayed.

At my place, we try and treat everyone equally, but in the event of a queue forming, as a general rule of thumb, IFR gets priority over VFR, additionally, like it or not, commercial realities at our airport and many others apply.

For a fuller explanation, (as Aluminium Persauder says), bring biscuits and all will become clear....

Pierre Argh
11th Aug 2006, 21:21
I don't think many units (if at all) have "hard-and fast" priorities... it is generally simply going to be a case of the controller making a decision and recovering the aircraft as expeditiously as possible.

Grass may seem greener on the otherside of the fence from time-to-time; frankly it would make the ATC task that much harder to hold-off traffic, whilst feeding in another that had been granted priority simply for commercial reasons or because of its flight rules.

Jimmah
12th Aug 2006, 00:01
Are you sure your MATS does not provide more guidelines for priorities? Here in New Zealand, our MATS (based on ICAO standards), more or less states the priorities you listed, then goes on to say the rest is on a first come, first served basis, with 10 exceptions. The exceptions are more or less common sense, with one being (can't remember the exact wording):
Where a significantly greater economic penalty would occur by allowing an aircraft to operate ahead of another. e.g. allowing a light aircraft to operate ahead of a jet.

Though this can be an annoyance for light pilots at aerodromes operating scheduled jets, it does make sense. A single or even twin engine piston would have to be at the holding point far longer to consume as much fuel as a Boeing would in a few minutes. Additionally, if the Boeing were to miss it's slot, there is potential for further expensive in-flight delays.

GuruCube
14th Aug 2006, 13:54
FFF,
The other thing might be that the controller was doing a few other things and didnt have time to crunch up the possibilites that well. As niknak says, if he was very tight for the slot, that really is the priority for most of us and the controller probably didnt think about the reality of getting you up first.

Maybe we all just think of the idea of SVFR not restricting IFR traffic. Ive had a quick look and cant see any reference to VFR traffic, but some controllers are just used to bundling them all into that rule?!

Gonzo
14th Aug 2006, 14:26
FFF, were you VFR or IFR?

Another thing to consider; you state that you were a training flight. Perhaps because of that very fact the ATCO didn't want to do something 'non-standard' such as....

and given radar vectors to take me away from his climb-out

Even then, ATC has to provide IFR/SVFR separation based on speed groups for departing aircraft. Even with more than a 45 degree turn away from the track of the departing 737, it might have been two or three minutes before ATC could release it. Or perhaps the 737 was going the same way as you, and Tower didn't think you'd like to turn away from your intedned route? Or maybe it was feasible, but there was a trainee on Radar and Tower didn't want to overload him/her. Lots of possiblities besides basic flight priorities. :ok:

foghorn
14th Aug 2006, 20:36
FFF,

Could you give us an idea where this was and your flight rules? We could then guess a bit better on what was going through the tower controller's mind.

In the worst case it might be somewhere that has to use procedural separation based on time for departures (even if a radar controller was to work you after departure). Assuming that you were IFR, in this case putting you in front of the 737 could result in a ten minute separation for the 737 if you were not turning 45+ degrees away from its track immediately after departure. You could go 3 minutes behind the 737 (since the IFR separation would be 2 minutes with you behind, so you'd get the vortex separation of 3 minutes). With the 737's slot in this case it's easy to see why it would go first.

Even if it was somewhere that uses speed tables for departures (ie. a larger airport) it is likely that putting you in front would require the 737 to be 5 minutes behind you (unless the busy tower controller could find time to phone radar for an early release). This again could cause problems with the 737's slot time.

From a runway utilisation perspective, a same-route IFR spamcan in front of a jet is the worst case scenario for a tower controller unless there is something else (preferably more than one aircraft, ideally VFRs or landers) that they can stick in between. Throw in the tight slot on the jet and it's usually a no-brainer to put it first.