PDA

View Full Version : A bit embarrassing

frostbite
11th Aug 2006, 14:39
I have been asked to reformat a hard drive and reinstall 98SE on a friends computer.

Trouble is, it's ages since I did this, and my memory is shaky.

I know I need to format a /s floppy and install io.sys, command.com, and CD driver on the floppy, but have I left something off the list?

I'd hate to fdisk and discover I can't get back in!

None of the above
11th Aug 2006, 15:11
This site will probably be a good first port of call...

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

N o t a

rotorcraig
11th Aug 2006, 16:21
Useful link, thanks I'll bookmark that.

Here's another that I have put aside for such moments - http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

RC

Saab Dastard
11th Aug 2006, 19:15
Frostbite,

Win 98 SE was definitely distributed on bootable CDs - easiest thing is to put your CD in the drive, power off then boot up, check the BIOS is set to boot off CD, and see what happens.

You can then simply exit the setup without changing anything.

Of course, if the PC is SO old that it can't boot from the CD, then you have no choice to do as you say with a boot floppy.

You will definitely need Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to load the CD drivers, and it's well worth installing the correct keyboard driver and setting appropriate environment variables.

io.sys, msdos.sys and command.com are automatically installed when you make a bootable floppy.

SD

frostbite
11th Aug 2006, 21:28
Many thanks for the prop for my ailing memory, SD, of course (when someone reminds you!).

Thanks for those links too.

Memetic
12th Aug 2006, 11:24
Hi Frostbite,

CD drivers for the installed drive and a file editor (Edlin? Editor?) to tweek Autoexec.bat might be a good addition for that boot disk.

Memetic

Saab Dastard
12th Aug 2006, 12:37
Edlin? Edlin? Edlin?

Good grief, it's been a decade since I last heard of that! :8

edit.com would be my preference - since Dos 5 IIRC.

(not to be confused with Edit.Com - which allegedly is the leading website maintenance service for businesses). :p

SD