PDA

View Full Version : slow,slow,slow!

desert queen
11th Aug 2006, 08:08
Here's the problem: I think I have redefined the word 'eternity' - its when I restart my computer (after having installed new software, for example)-it takes forever to come online again. Accessing e-mail and certain other progams has also become incredibly tedious and slow, with numerous 'freezes' along the way.

Ironically, once I am eventually online, internet usage happens at the normal speed. Usual protections installed, i.e. Adaware, Spybot, Norton antivirus and firewall, etc.

Any help would be most appreciated. Before my pc takes a long walk off a short pier.

Tarq57
11th Aug 2006, 09:37
Based on your description the obvious thing that springs to mind is that you don't have enough memory or processor speed to run everything you have running.
How much RAM do you have?

Saab Dastard
11th Aug 2006, 19:38
It sounds as if there could be some process or application that is being run at startup that is doing some over-zealous checking - e.g. AV or Anti-spyware.

Have a look at the things that are being automatically started.

Also check that you are not attempting to connect to a networked resource that is not available.

Do post your OS, and RAM quantity - markjoy has point. ;)

SD

Kelly Hopper
12th Aug 2006, 09:48
I have the same problem. 7-8 minutes to start then another 10 to open outlook express. I sat down and thought what I had changed recently. Aha! Although I had McAfee virus protection, all the other bits that come with it were previously not installed until recently. So I removed it all to start again and Hey Presto, all is up to speed again.
Only question now though is why? It is all installed on my other computer and all is fine!
Most of my mates have the answer..... they are all going MAC!!!!:{