PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet Captain Pay

2XL
11th Aug 2006, 07:11
Ok before you all shoot me down in flames I have looked on the search function. I thought there had been a recent pay review, and I have looked at the website re terms and conditions.

All this aside can someone who actually is a current Captain with Easyjet provide some factual details on your current salary package both before and after tax. Is it still possible for a 737 Command at LGW ?

Much appreciated.

Lord Fulmer
11th Aug 2006, 07:27
Details of the pay are on the easyJet.com website, under jobs.
And with regards to a 737 command at LGW, might be a bit tricky as it's an Airbus base.
Only bases with the 737 are Luton, Newcastle and Belfast.

EI896
11th Aug 2006, 08:10
I see the Captains pay at easyJet can be very generous:)

Are you a captain yourself 2XL?

Max Autobrake
11th Aug 2006, 08:18
From October basic £73792 plus approx £700 net sector pay = approximately £4850 take home. Food/tea/coffee/water is free. New roster pattern from November 5/3/5/4.

A better place to be than FR in my opinion (I've worked for both).

Airbrake
11th Aug 2006, 14:05
Also, after 2 years you get a 5% 'loyalty' bonus and 10% after 5 years. This is taxable but not pensionable. This was almost added into basic pay during the last pay negotiations and would be a very popular aim during the next negotiations later in 2007
This means a Captain who has been at Easy for 5 years will have a basic of around £73.5K, a gross sector pay of around £11k and a loyalty bonus of about £7.3K. Total pay excluding company pension contribution will be about £92 000 from October this year.
Whether you are pro or anti Easyjet or Ryanair thanks to BALPA and a new CEO easyjet are very slowly starting to get their ducks in a row, although man power levels are as bad as always.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
11th Aug 2006, 18:19
I have done some calculations and from October - which is when the second round of the pay award kicks in (and also the earliest you are likely to be in easyJet!) I can give you some figures. The first 6 months after your final line check is paid at 90% basic but with full allowances. I do not want to get into a big discussion about whether it is just or not - like it or not that is the deal! Assuming you fly around 500 sectors per annum (a pretty good average around the bases), your effective gross pay after 6 months will be £89,000. Furthermore, it will rise to just under £93,000 after 2 years, about £96,500 after 5 years and about £100,000 after 10 years due to the loyalty bonus which is paid annually. In addition you will receive 7% of basic pay (£73792) into your pension plus receive loss of licence protection. (They will put in 9% unless you state otherwise but you will lose that extra 2% off your basic pay).

There are countless websites that will convert that into an accurate after-tax figure but I reckon about £4,800 after tax per month is about right on £89,000 per annum.

I hope that helps.

FliegerTiger
11th Aug 2006, 19:30
Norman,

Could you PM me with regards to your quote above about no tax if based in Germany? I'm currently at STN & considering a move there (Girlfriend/future Wife is German).

Cheers,

FT

Edited due to crappy spelling!

Kraut
11th Aug 2006, 22:18
Incidentally if you are based in Germany then you pay lower tax (ie none!) as far as I can see.
Please no fundamental rumours about tax in Germany. There is a "Double tax agreement" in force. It does NOT always mean you pay NO tax!:=
There are quite a lot of variables and different, individual cases.
True is, the official "double tax agreement" means considerable tax reduction!
But, there is always the possible application of "Progressionsvorbehalt" (for german readers)
On the other hand, there are other problems to cover: NIS, Health insurance, state pension!:ooh:

2XL
11th Aug 2006, 23:05
Excellent replies thus far so thanks to all. Yes I am a Captain, and the reason for the post was to sort the facts from the fiction.

bloggs2
12th Aug 2006, 07:27
NSF and others: you forgot to mention the loyalty bonus can not be considered as part of your salary as it is not guaranteed. Yes, I know it has historically always been paid, as the company has always been in profit, but it is possible you may not get it.

Ramsey
12th Aug 2006, 15:50
NSF you seem very informed about pay in easy. Do you or any one else know how much you can expect to take home a month in Malpensa as CP. I know you have to pay a surden tax down there but that might be refunded ones you leave the country.
I am currently in FR but seriously considering a change. As you know european salaries in FR are a lot lower than UK. I can expect a pay cut of about £5-700 a month after tax in FR with italian base. Last year my average net take home in FR was £4750, Yes I also thought I was taking home ave near £5000 as many are writing in hear. But the truth all comes out when you get your p60
Please anywise me on the CP malpens net salary in easy anyone

Thank you

rduarte
12th Aug 2006, 20:38
Same question but about the monthly salary ,a F/0 bring at home at Easy and Ryan.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
13th Aug 2006, 00:22
Ramsey - the reason I never mentioned the necessity to stay in profit is that if we get to the stage when we are not in profit then the loyalty bonus is the least of your worries!

Regarding basing in Milan, I am not aware of any extra taxes there but others may be able to clarify that - you pay UK tax regardless of where you are based. Therefore the figures quoted apply to Milan as well - we make no distinction between bases. If future bases open in Eastern Europe, then you may find that changes. The other thing to be aware of is that when you join easyJet, you go where the vacancies are. At the moment that is not Milan but probably Gatwick. You then have to wait until a vacancy appears which may take a long time - I do not know the expected wait for Milan at the moment.

Felix Saddler
13th Aug 2006, 01:16
Are Easyjet a good company to work for? Everyone on this forum seems to complain about how poorly their payed and treated. However this looks different or am i just being naive?

FS

sarah737
13th Aug 2006, 06:27
Ramsey - !
Regarding basing in Milan, I am not aware of any extra taxes there but others may be able to clarify that - you pay UK tax regardless of where you are based. Therefore the figures quoted apply to Milan as well - we make no distinction between bases. .

Not quite correct Norman, You will have to pay italian taxes from which you can deduct the UK taxes you paid. The italian tax on a basic salary of 70k would be around 50%, sector pay and duty pay are almost tax free in italy. So after deduction of UK NI and the Italian TFR (7%), a 70k basic and 12k sector and duty pay would give you a take home of around 3600 a month. When you leave the company the taxable TFR will be paid to you.
Italian operators pay a much lower basic and a much higher duty and sector pay, resulting in a higher take home pay!

Ramsey
13th Aug 2006, 07:38
Thank you NSF and sarah737. Sarah do you know if that is a flatrate tax of 50% or like the UK where it goes up the more the earn? That would increase the takehome if it was.

Ramsey

Kraut
13th Aug 2006, 10:47
Are Easyjet a good company to work for? Everyone on this forum seems to complain about how poorly their payed and treated. However this looks different or am i just being naive?

FS

With the new CEO and COO it looks at least, as things are changing to the positive side. Actualy, things have improved. Staff travel, pay, rostering.
Still long way to go to optimum range (however, what is optimum?) The CC is in steady negotiations, especially for rostering.

Itaqhua
13th Aug 2006, 10:53
MXP:

It is correct, that you will have to pay tax in Italy, but you can reclaim all the tax in the UK (Except for that part of your working time, spent in the UK)

If you spend 5% of your total working time (duty time) in the UK (Recurrent training etc) you will be able to reclaim 95% of your tax paid in the UK.

Tax rate in Italy is about the same as in the UK. And there are legal ways to recude your tax bill.

Itaq

sarah737
13th Aug 2006, 11:36
On a Capt salary taxes are a lot higher in Italy than in the UK, claiming UK tax back does not reduce your total taxbill as tax paid in UK is deducted from Italian tax due.

rduarte
13th Aug 2006, 22:43
Same question but about the monthly salary ,a F/0 bring at home at Easy and Ryan.

The same question :{

Norman Stanley Fletcher
14th Aug 2006, 00:05
sarah737 - do you work for easyJet? I think you will find that people want to know specific figures of take-home pay. I am not sure that easyJet pilots are currently paying the Italian tax you refer to. Is there someone out there who is an actual easyJet pilot working in Italy who can give a specific and accurate figure?

MercenaryAli
14th Aug 2006, 01:07
Might sound like a trivial question but:-
What exactly is the POINT of the EU if everyone pays differing taxes etc etc
I thought the whole point of the expensive and in my view unjustifiable EU was to make a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD?

sarah737
14th Aug 2006, 07:29
sarah737 - do you work for easyJet? I think you will find that people want to know specific figures of take-home pay. I am not sure that easyJet pilots are currently paying the Italian tax you refer to. Is there someone out there who is an actual easyJet pilot working in Italy who can give a specific and accurate figure?

I dont Norman, but a friend of me does, he was based temporally in Milan but didnt want to stay because of the italian taxes. If you work for EZY you must be able to see the correct figures, they are published on your company intranet, but very close to what I quoted for a year one capt. I was intrested myself as EZY seems to recruit DEC in Milan.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
14th Aug 2006, 11:37
Thanks Sarah - I have checked and currently on our intranet system there is some info for the French and German based crew, but there is no specific advice for Milan-based employees. Some enquiries have been made and the situation at the moment is essentially one of limbo. If you are on temporary basing then you just pay UK tax and that is the end of it. The figures given previously on this thread therefore all hold good.

Regarding permanent basing, at the current moment we use a system called the 'S690 scheme' for Italian-based crew which means that in effect you pay little or no UK tax. The good news is that you have a huge net take-home pay but the bad news is that the Italian government are going to want a lot of tax back very soon. As has been stated here, the Italians have higher tax than we do and therefore it is conceivable that you will take home less in Milan than you would do in the UK. The current easyJet line is that salaries are identical (gross) wherever you work but obviously if you pay more tax then you will actually get less money. I am assured that a 'day of reckoning' is going to come in Italy and our crew have been advised to be prepared for a substantial tax bill. At this moment no one knows exactly what that will be. The short answer is that the arrangements for Milan have not yet been finalised but you will be expected to pay any and all due tax. Not very helpful or specific but that is the deal.

Ramsey
14th Aug 2006, 13:04
I wonder how our FR pilots in BGY get away with not pay tax in italy. As they all seem to be paying the tax in ireland. There might be another arrangement between the taxman in Ireland and Italy.

Thank you very much for your help, both Sara and NSF.

bloggs2
14th Aug 2006, 16:19
I have checked and currently on our intranet system there is some info for the French and German based crew, but there is no specific advice for Milan-based employees

NSF: More checking required. EJ pay section have posted a fairly comprehensive document on the intranet titled 'Italian Flight Deck Tax Briefing' which is included in the flight ops pages under a news item titled ' 23 June 2006: MILAN TRANSFERS'. For EJ employees a phone call to the person nominated in said document will provide you with some very "helpful and specific" details.

For those not employed by EJ, this is an internal document and I don't think it appropriate for me to post any details from the document here as the information is freely available for you to research through the various tax authorities at the cost of your own time. If EJ intended it for public viewing it would be on the EJ site with the current T&C's. Or, if you attend an interview and express an interest for Milan, then you may be provided with it then.

Doors to Automatic
14th Aug 2006, 21:58
I thought the whole point of the expensive and in my view unjustifiable EU was to make a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD?

It couldn't be less level if it had Mount Everest in the middle of it!!!!

Norman Stanley Fletcher
15th Aug 2006, 01:05
Bloggs 2 - thanks for that. I was indeed looking in the wrong place. Nonetheless, I am sticking to my guns! I have had very direct contact to discuss the matter and it is quite apparent that no one knows with any certainty exactly how much will be taken home in Italy once tax is paid. In the document to which you referred me, the quoted net pay for an Italian-based captain earning a total of £79,338 was about £48,333. This came with big warnings saying it was valid for April 2006 and could not be considered guaranteed. Also, no details of how this figure was arrived at was provided in terms of rates of Italian tax. Finally, the pay for a captain from Oct 06 will be nearer £88k using the same method of calculation for a 2-5 year captain, assuming 500 sectors per annum. I do not know the current euro exchange rate against sterling but I am sure interested parties can do their calcs.

The bottom line is that I am not an expert in this and feel a little out of my depth. No one has really 'pressed to test' yet with the Italian authorities and any quoted figures need to be treated with caution. I will therefore not contribute further to this debate and hope that someone with more insight than me will provide any other appropriate facts as required.

jorel
15th Aug 2006, 09:00
sounds like conditions are getting better, how long does it take to get this sort of left seat money if I joined in the right seat with 4000 hours (3000 jet).

I have heard two base checks of above average standard, does that include your initial check or is it 12 months down the line.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
15th Aug 2006, 13:34
So is the salary non-incremental? Does a first year Captain recieve the same as a 10 year one?

Can anyone tell me how the pension works.

How much per year would an Easyjet Captain receive when they retire?

BusBoy
15th Aug 2006, 20:09
difficult to answer as it depends on so many factors,
how long were you in the scheme? (how much company contriubted)
did you take the salary exchange?
did you additionally contribute?
what was the compound interest growth?

As I understand it it's a money purchase scheme which allows the purchase of an annuity with some or all of the final amount, same as 95% of employers out there.

There are pension calculators out there into which you can enter figures and it gives you an ESTIMATED figure.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
16th Aug 2006, 13:12
Assuming a pilot was retiring today (impossible I know) after 30 years in the company. What would they expect to receive per anum?

Or what do Easy pilots predict they will receive when they retire?

Rocket Ron
16th Aug 2006, 18:19
The short answer to how much you pension will be worth is - not a lot!
That's a bit of an over-estimation in my opinion NSF!
Wdtbd, ask yourself the question "If I wasn't getting tax relief on the dosh I put into my pension, would I be doing it?" Answer, probably not... so don't!

Kraut
22nd Aug 2006, 07:13
I just got the message from the german tax authorities (Finanzamt) how much money I OWE them for last year.!!!:{

Who wrote "NO TAX at all"?:ugh:

BYMONEK
22nd Aug 2006, 10:24
Is the loyalty bonus paid as a one off after 5 years or is it paid EVERY year after this time in Company?

Thanks for the info.

BYMONEK

A4
22nd Aug 2006, 13:47
Loyalty paid after 2 years for Capt and after 3 for FO..... paid every year. 5% upto 5 years SERVICE, 10% 5-10 years and 15% 10+ years.

A4

bloggs2
22nd Aug 2006, 20:44
Hi Kraut, quick question, no ulterior motive just purely interested. Was what you owe the German tax people less than what you got back from the UK tax people?

Kraut
22nd Aug 2006, 20:53
True is, the official "double tax agreement" means considerable tax reduction!
But, there is always the possible application of "Progressionsvorbehalt" (for german readers)
:

I will quote myself!:)
Those two sentences still appy! I do not give numbers here, or my individual tax situation, but I can tell you, the german tax authorities are behind every cent with lot of fight and me paying tax advisors!
And honestly, I just hate to repay tax after my tax declaration!:yuk: