View Full Version : How to add program to menu lists?

Globaliser
10th Aug 2006, 23:34
I try to update the HOSTS file on my home computer from time to time. However, I'm becoming increasingly irritated by the roundabout way that I need to take to open the file for editing.

As it's a file with no extension, if I double click the file I get a box (as expected) saying Windows can't open the file, and what do I want to do? I choose Select a program from a list. But Notepad, the program that I want to use, is not on that list.

The alternative way, using File -> Open With, doesn't work because the Open With option is not on my File menu. Nor does Open With appear on the context menu when I right-click on the file name.

This is really annoying because my work computer offers Notepad as an option using all these methods. On my home computer, I have to open Notepad first and then navigate my way down to the file to open it.

Is there something I can do to add Notepad to these lists, to save the extra hassle?

rotorcraig
11th Aug 2006, 00:42
Which operating system?

RC

Farmer 1
11th Aug 2006, 07:14
If I understand your problem correctly:

Using XP, with classic start menu:

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Folder Options - File Types. Then select the application from the list.

slim_slag
11th Aug 2006, 09:27
Is there something I can do to add Notepad to these lists, to save the extra hassle?

First thing I do with a new PC is put a shortcut to windows explorer and notepad on my desktop.

Navigate to Notepad in the Start/menu structure under Accessories. Right click on Notepad and send it to Desktop.

Now, navigate to hosts file in explorer, drag it on top of the notepad icon you just put on the desktop, and drop it. Notepad will open using the file you just dragged.

Will work with any text files you have lying around in your filesystem and you want to quickly look at.

BombayDuck
11th Aug 2006, 10:42
er... XP and Win 2K I think have the "Open With" choice directly in the right click context menu.

If not in Win 2K, or you're using Win 98 (why?!), keeping shift pressed while right clicking guarantees you the "Open With" choice. then you can choose notepad BUT also checkmark "always use this program to open this type of file". I assume the HOSTS file (whatever it is) has some sort of an extension?

I find it rather odd you dont have Notepad in your program listing...

Globaliser
11th Aug 2006, 11:51
Which operating system?D'oh! Sorry.

Win XP Pro.
er... XP and Win 2K I think have the "Open With" choice directly in the right click context menu.

If not in Win 2K, or you're using Win 98 (why?!), keeping shift pressed while right clicking guarantees you the "Open With" choice. then you can choose notepad BUT also checkmark "always use this program to open this type of file". I assume the HOSTS file (whatever it is) has some sort of an extension?

I find it rather odd you dont have Notepad in your program listing...I also find it odd. I'd expect to see Open With in the right-click context menu, which is my preferred option for opening the file on my work computer. But for some reason it's just not there on my home computer.

HOSTS is a file with no extension, so the idea of adding it to the registered file types doesn't work.

I hate drag-and-drop (I hate mice, generally), but I may just have to do that as an option.

BOAC
11th Aug 2006, 12:11
Check line 25 (right column) of http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Globaliser
14th Aug 2006, 00:58
Many thanks, all. I will work through these suggestions - just as soon as I can evict my parents from the back bedroom and regain access to the machine. (Well, OK, maybe not as dramatic as that - but they are staying with me for a week ...)