PDA

View Full Version : 50 Films to see before you die..

squeaker
10th Aug 2006, 20:07
Here's a pointless and contentious idea.
As Film4 is now on Freeview, they've published a list of the 50 films to see before you die. Whilst on a rather dull LPA flight the other day, the F/O and I read this list and decided that they were mostly films that Channel 4 either made or part financed, and we were easily able to delete 37 of them at once!
Since then we've been debating by email a list of our own. Now it is not as easy as you might think, we came up with a definitive list of 64 and then had to whittle it down, so we still disagree on a few. Anyway, here it comes.

You are allowed to nominate any film for removal, but only if you've seen it, and briefly qualify your choice to replace it! Enjoy....

The 50 Greatest Films Ever.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
AIRPLANE
ALIEN
AMERICAN BEAUTY
APOCALYPSE NOW
BLADE RUNNER
BLAZING SADDLES
BLUES BROTHERS, THE
CATCH 22
CLOCKWORK ORANGE
COOL HAND LUKE
DAS BOOT
DR. STRANGELOVE
FULL METAL JACKET
GODFATHER II, THE
GODFATHER, THE
GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE
GOODFELLAS
GRADUATE, THE
GREAT ESCAPE, THE
HIGH SOCIETY
ICE COLD IN ALEX
IPCRESS FILE, THE
ITALIAN JOB, THE
LA GRANDE BOUFFE
LADYKILLERS, THE
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
MARATHON MAN
MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, A
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
MONTY P. & THE HOLY GRAIL
MONTY P’S LIFE OF BRIAN
NIGHT AT THE OPERA, A
ODD COUPLE, THE
ON THE WATERFRONT
PULP FICTION
RAGING BULL
REAR WINDOW
RESERVOIR DOGS
RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER, THE
ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, THE
SCARFACE
SCHINDLER’S LIST
SCOTT OF THE ANTARTIC
SOME LIKE IT HOT
STAR WARS
TAXI DRIVER
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
TRAINSPOTTING
WITHNAIL & I

green granite
10th Aug 2006, 20:16
remove Airplane
insert
citizen kane

White Bear
10th Aug 2006, 20:19
Body Heat.

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 20:27
Bah! no Sam Peckinpah? no Wild Bunch? Pat Garret? no Butch Cassidy? obviously not compiled by a western fan,apart from two comedy ones.
:rolleyes:

squeaker
10th Aug 2006, 20:30
Actually, I had The Searchers in the original list, but I was overruled!
Pick one to remove and replace it with one of your choice, the Wild Bunch would be my preferred option!

montecristo
10th Aug 2006, 20:37
Good to see that you lot haven't read the instructions!

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 20:39
Apologies, one thunk some arty functionary from channel four had chose em,one is not good at this kind of thing being a total philistine, frinstance one though Citizen Cane was a load of boring shite,not a single dinosaur or chain gun in the entire flic , and thus far one has managed to avoid seeing Gone with the wind or The sound of music, not many my age can boast that.

B Fraser
10th Aug 2006, 20:43
Replace "The Great Escape" ([email protected]) with "Jaws" or "The Seven Samurai".

The big plastic fish is looking a little dated but it set the benchmark for thrillers.

AcroChik
10th Aug 2006, 20:46
Replace "benchmark" with "toothmark."

colmac747
10th Aug 2006, 20:50
PLATOON

The Perfect Storm

fireflybob
10th Aug 2006, 20:51
Delete 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Insert APOLLO 13

Those guys were real brave and it was a great example of good teamwork.

AcroChik
10th Aug 2006, 21:00
It boggles the mind that To Kill a Mockingbird isn't on this list. Nearly everything about this movie is a "best of." The impossible-to-forget music is by Elmer Bernstein. Robert Duvall, in his first-ever movie appearance, gives a brilliant performance. The screenplay is faithfully derived from Harper Lee's masterpiece by another American master, Horton Foote.

Two previously unknown child actors play the son and daughter of Atticus Finch and we intimately inhabit their world of childhood hopes, fears and loss. Gregory Peck in the lead role plays what may be the most heroic role in all American cinema: a small-town lawyer in the Depression-era South raising children on his own.

The line of the movie: "Stand up child, your father's passing."

I'd remove any Monty Python movie. Take your pick.

Brae_Cwynd
10th Aug 2006, 21:01
Hmmm,

Pretty good list - have seen most (but not all).. How can you leave out "The Great Waldo Pepper"? Must be one of the best films with a flying theme. Delete almost anything by Steven Speilberg except ET.

BC

AcroChik
10th Aug 2006, 21:08
And then...

I'd remove High Society, a musical remake of The Philadelphia Story. Now, the music in High Society is grand. The cast stellar and attractive, the settings appropriately and divinely decadant. But...

And it's a big but. Grace Kelly's performance is wooden, self-conscious, and flat. Given her molten gold performances in movies like To Catch a Thief and Rear Window, this is a real disappointment. But, she was about to get married to Ranier, and he insisted on being on the set watching every moment of rehearsal and shooting. So, there's the resaon. Also, watch how she flaunts that massive stone in her engagement ring. Yes, it's real.

Replace High Society with the real gem: The Philadelphia Story.

frostbite
10th Aug 2006, 21:08
A couple of BRITISH films that I believe were financed/produced by C4

Brassed Off
Sirens

Pure coincidence that the delectable Tara Fitzgerald is in both!

Remove Catch 22 and Apocalypse Now.

Capn Notarious
10th Aug 2006, 21:12
What no, Wings of the Apache. A good helicopter film.

teeteringhead
10th Aug 2006, 21:13
Remove one of the Monty Pythons (probably Holy Grail) and replace with Pinocchio.

Feature length cartoons are significant so you should have one, and Pinnocchio does perfectly all that it sets out to do, without (surprising for Disney) schmaltz or too much pretentiousness.

Jerricho
10th Aug 2006, 21:14
Take out them Godfather ones and add Debbie does Dallas and Inside Avy Scott

:E

colmac747
10th Aug 2006, 21:18
Good to see that silly little [email protected] Harry Potter hasn't been mentioned/nominated..

...erm:oh:

dontpickit
10th Aug 2006, 21:19
Remove: Holy Grail + Life of Brian

Replace with: Time Bandits + Jabberwocky

AntiCrash
10th Aug 2006, 21:28
Delete them all and put Saving Grace 49 times and the Worlds Fastest Indian once.

zebraluver
10th Aug 2006, 21:29
Remove any (apart from Schindler's List) and replace it with Forrest Gump.
I could watch that film over and over :)

rolaaand
10th Aug 2006, 21:31
Nice list,wouldn't know what to remove!Star Wars i guess(contoversial but i was never a big fan) and probably airplane.
Replaced by The Shawshank Redemption which I think is one of the finest films ever made.And a personal fave because of the music-24 Hour Party People.

Rollingthunder
10th Aug 2006, 21:32
And I thought no one else had seen " La Grande Bouffe" !!

Especially liked the Bugatti in the snow.

Buster Cherry
10th Aug 2006, 22:07
American Beauty out....utter Pish.
Dirty Harry in.

Replace "The Great Escape" ([email protected]) with "Jaws"
You `avin a laugh Mr.Frazer? (bet its a bit stinky under Biffins Bridge. Though it depends on which side you prefer, I suppose. :E )

Romeo Charlie
10th Aug 2006, 22:07
I can't think of any that warrant removal from that list, only a few others that should be added if the number were to be increased, namely;

The Pianist - should be compulsory viewing for all as should Schindler's List.
Shawshank Redemption - is one of 'the greats'.
The Outlaw Josey Wales - A Clint 'spaghetti western' needs to be included and this is my favourite.

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 22:22
One is pleasently supprised to see no prooner has the appaling bad taste to ask for Top Gun to be included.
Couple of good Brit filums one would inlude.
The Madness of King George and Mrs Brown

squeaker
10th Aug 2006, 22:27
Great stuff, thanks for all the replies, many of the films mentioned were on our 64 long list (except for Waldo Pepper and Mocking Bird, both definitely worthy of inclusion). I like the suggestion of Pinnochio too, we completely overlooked animation. But what to take out? See, I said it was tricky!
A quick phone call to my collaborator, and we agreed (thanks, AkroChik) that High Society could/should be replaced with Philadelphia Story, on reflection, but I did put Rear Window in the original list!

eastern wiseguy
10th Aug 2006, 22:38
Hey Squeaker...you missed the greatest of all time...

Lucky Thomas meets the Big Girls!!! Fergusons fav!! :E :E

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 22:43
One hates to be pedantic here Mr Charlie but The Outlaw Josey Wales was not a spagetti western,Mr Eastwood only made three of them,the westerns he made on his return to the States were far superior,to a dedicated western fan the spagetti ones (ground breaking in their day) seem rather silly when one watches them now.
:uhoh:

squeaker
10th Aug 2006, 22:44
In the original Norwegian with badly translated subtitles??? What was I thinking???

Romeo Charlie
10th Aug 2006, 22:50
One hates to be pedantic here Mr Charlie but The Outlaw Josey Wales was not a spagetti western,Mr Eastwood only made three of them,the westerns he made on his return to the States were far superior,to a dedicated western fan the spagetti ones (ground breaking in their day) seem rather silly when one watches them now.

I stand corrected Herr D, I should have said a Clint western not a spaghetti western.

Of the three spaghettis I think 'For a Few Dollars More' has stood the test of time the best.

squeaker
10th Aug 2006, 22:51
God, I hate pedants.
Spaghetti is the correct spelling....
You're right of course, Citizen Kane would definitely be improved with the inclusion of a chain gun, but I think you can see a Brontosaurus in the background of the "rosebud" scene. Or not.

AcroChik
10th Aug 2006, 22:54
I like the "spaghetti" westerns, directed by Sergio Leone. I love how they make the one-horse town streets look a mile wide and ten miles long. The music's fabulous in them all. I like that the plots are basically schmatic diagrams for a story rather than a full-dress parade. There's wind. There's dust. There's horses, shooting and a little brutality. And, usually, the chik gets rescued by Clint Eastwood. That alone's worth something.

The ultimate spaghetti western... by Sergio Leone..., Once upon a Time in the West.

No Clint, but lots of wind, dust, horse, brutality, some trains and Henry Fonda.

Jimmy Macintosh
10th Aug 2006, 23:00
Agree with Shawshank, a must have.
Would also consider adding
Battle of Britain, fantastic,
Leon, The Professional (extended edition)

Would remove, 2001 boring, especially the first hour or so.
Resevoir Dogs, found it bland the only reason it seemed popular was a new level of sadistic violence, Tarrenteno did much better with True Romance and Pulp Fiction.

Saying that I would remove American Beuty, it was ok, but not top 50 material and replace with Aliens 90210, sorry Starship Troopers, constant entertainment in that one. :ok:

Jerricho
10th Aug 2006, 23:02
Great stuff, thanks for all the replies, many of the films mentioned were on our 64 long list

Really? Both of my suggestions as well? ;)

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 23:08
Hmm, slightly off topic,someone once noted something rather sinister,virtually all of Mr Eastwoods movies feature a rape scene,(think about it)rather like Dennis Potter' Plays nearly all feature a lady drowning for some reason ,hmmm,rather odd what?
What would that Freud chap make of it all huh?

BenThere
10th Aug 2006, 23:18
No such list should be without 'Casablanca'. Throw out Godfather II.

Rarely
10th Aug 2006, 23:55
I'm sorry Squeaker the rules are flawed, it must be a crime against humanity to allow a Monty P film to be nominated for removal!

I'm not a great film buff, unlike Squeaker, but Forrest Gump has to be in there and also Moulin Rouge.

finfly1
11th Aug 2006, 00:29
Not a single James Bond movie? Thunderball or Dr No (if only for Ms Andress)

chiglet
11th Aug 2006, 00:47
One Flew over the Cuckoos' Nest
Midnight Cowboy
The Longest Day
Terminator
Aliens
watp,iktch

innuendo
11th Aug 2006, 01:12
I could do without High Society and The Odd Couple but I think The Third Man should make it on to the list.
PS If they ever put that film on colourized, I would turn my TV to B & W.

Standard Noise
11th Aug 2006, 02:19
Rid us of American Beauty, complete cack, and replace with Twelve Angry Men, classic.

Richo77
11th Aug 2006, 02:45
Would easily remove Jaws or either Monty P (whilst classics, just not classic enough for mine), to include Shawshank, Braveheart (cant turn it off if i catch it playing) or Contact. But an absolute must for mine is The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - must be seen on the big screen to appreciate the colour scheme.

shattered paradigm
11th Aug 2006, 02:51
Terrorstorm by Alex Jones is an expose of the proven fasle flag terror operations carried out by governments against their own populations throughout history. It can be seen for free on video.google.com. watch the film and share your thoughts. I would be interested to hear what people have to say about the info it contains.

Jerricho
11th Aug 2006, 03:03
Hey look, it's Chemtrail boy!!!!!

I'm familiar with Mr Jones' work. I have often found that if I shared my thoughts as you have invited us to do, the usual bullshit would start.

shattered paradigm
11th Aug 2006, 03:16
Usual strawman rubbish. Watch the film terrorstorm then post a critique if you can manage it.

Jerricho
11th Aug 2006, 03:19
You have just proved my point :rolleyes: In fact, if you looked up "predictable" in the dictionary, it would say YOU!

Oh, and that's Mr Strawman to you.

planepsycho
11th Aug 2006, 03:29
The Wizard of Oz
Fargo
Platoon
It's a Wonderful Life
Where Eagles Dare
Easy Rider
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Deliverance
Psycho:E

Jerricho
11th Aug 2006, 03:30
Psycho.....how very apt ;) ;)

tinpis
11th Aug 2006, 03:48
Watch 50 of these (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000013/) and youll be begging for death.:uhoh:

notmyC150v2
11th Aug 2006, 03:52
Get rid of Amercian Beauty and replace it with Mad Max (Road Warrior for the Yanks)

Get rid of 2001 and replace with Mad Max 2.

Seriously why is American Beauty there in the first place? Eck...

And 2001 sends me to sleep. I still haven't seen the whole movie despite trying on about four separate occassions. I think its the voice of the computer, a slightly relaxing drone.

arcniz
11th Aug 2006, 04:07
Chauncey Gardner

Play Misty for Me (twice.. once for art and once for nostalgia. I used to date the girl)

Yellow Submarine

....icons

Loose rivets
11th Aug 2006, 06:14
What about ‘It always rains on Sundays.'....why has no one mentioned that?

ZFT
11th Aug 2006, 06:55
American Beauty - 0ut
Usual Suspects - Most definitely In

Richo77
11th Aug 2006, 07:20
How about Any Given Sunday.. one of Oliver Stones betters ones, a fantastic departure from most US football movies and if only for Pacino's "inch at a time" speech.

cortilla
11th Aug 2006, 07:49
Whilst i have nothing against schindler's list, i personally wouldn't class it as one of the top 50. I saw it once, liked it, would watch it again, but not over and over, which is what i feel makes a film eligible for top 50.

So out goes Schindler's list

In goes Das Experiment

ChrisVJ
11th Aug 2006, 07:52
The Black Cat (1934)
The Raven (1935)

The Kremlin Letter

RaraAvis
11th Aug 2006, 07:57
"The Ladykillers", we're talking of the original one by Alexander Mackendrick with Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers of course, not the horrid remake I hope!

As for the list, "American Beauty" out, "Casablanca" in.
colmac, you can't be serious about "The Perfect Storm"!?:zzz:

vapilot2004
11th Aug 2006, 09:40
L.A. Confidential --- American Beauty

History of the World:Part I --- Airplane

Elephant --- Reservoir Dogs

Apollo 13 --- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - per Fireflybob :ok:

No mention of The Color Purple ?

tony draper
11th Aug 2006, 09:51
How about a couple of good costume dramas
Barry Lyndon
The Duelist

Bluesteel705
11th Aug 2006, 09:53
No Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? :{

But at least Spinal Tap got in :E

"[Derek Smalls sets off a metal detector at the airport]
Airport Security Officer: Do you have any artificial plates or limbs?
Derek Smalls: Er, not really. "

Eliason
11th Aug 2006, 10:31
American Beauty - out

Lord of the Rings 1-3 (extended version, directors cut) - in :E :p

Fly380
11th Aug 2006, 10:38
A fish called Wanda:}

squeaker
11th Aug 2006, 10:41
I think consensus is to remove American Beauty (sorry Rob) as no-one has spoken up for it.
I like the Third Man, and Casablanca, and I agree that "colorizing" either would be a sin punishable by Death (or Doris Day, if they were really horrid people).
I vote for Bogey and Bergman, a tough choice, but it is a film anyone and everyone should see and enjoy.
American Beauty has its points but doesn't really stand up to its own hype in the long run.

B Fraser
11th Aug 2006, 10:54
Full Metal Jacket - out

Saving Private Ryan - in

Glad to see Spinal Tap is on the list........

"this amplifier goes to eleven, it's one louder than ten"

"why didn't you just make ten louder ?"

"well, this amplifier goes to eleven"

:ugh:

Parapunter
11th Aug 2006, 11:30
Citizen Kane. It ain't there & no ones mentioned it yet I reckon.

Three colours...

Amelie & Delicatessen I would have as well as Diva! They know a thing or two about movies them frenchies yer know. I would be inclined towards Training Day, not at all the fluffy rubbish I was expecting & Crash is a deserved Oscar winner, plus more Ealing stuff also - Kind Hearts & Coronets & The Lavender Hill Mob are winners.

UnDeterminator
11th Aug 2006, 11:31
Can't see many to delete: Kubrik gets a good airing!

Never understood the fuss about Norma Jean so could live without Some Like it Hot.

Agree Shawshank Redemption - apart from being a first-class gotcha story there's something about Morgan Freeman's voice that is so relaxing.

Add The Unforgiven.

Schindlers' List - agree not something to see over and over BUT definitely one to see before you die.

Saving Private Ryan.

Zap Star Wars and replace with Close Encounters - saw both on the same day when I was a kid and know which one had the greater impact!

Need to add a Cohen brothers number to reflect modern surrealism - say Fargo or Lebowski.

Mars Attacks - but ONLY as an antidote if someone lets in Independance Day!

Dark Star.

Wot no Star Trek?:E

Foss
11th Aug 2006, 11:46
I vote Full Metal Jacket back in. Take out 2001, it's long and boring.

Romper Stomper in.. Mad Max out

Some Laurel and Hardy wouldn't go amiss.

Fos

Go Smoke
11th Aug 2006, 11:52
"The Rocky Horror Show" out - can't bear it. just never 'got' it.

"The Deerhunter" in. Fantastic film.

Copterfan
11th Aug 2006, 11:59
Fifty is nowhere near enough......

But, sack the Odd Couple, replace with Chinatown, and sack Star Wars (formula story) and replace it with The Matrix.

C.

Foss
11th Aug 2006, 12:06
Matrix out - effects based rubbish.
Zulu in. Brilliant. Or Zulu Dawn.

Fos
still wouldn't mind some Laurel and Hardy, or even Road Runner, if that counts

BombayDuck
11th Aug 2006, 12:10
Out with American Beauty, Star Wars and 2001:....

In with the Matrix (no, I am not kidding), Fight Club and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

ok, so I'm a little eccentric... :D

if I could find other movies to chuck out (Monty Pythons? NO WAY!), I'd like to put in Terminator II: Judgement Day, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, My Fair Lady.... more when I can think of them.

Foss
11th Aug 2006, 13:43
Out with Shawshank Redemption and replace with Scum.
:E

squeaker
12th Aug 2006, 10:34
Sorry, but no way is Scum a better film than Shawshank Redemption.
It was good, but not that good.
The original list co-author rang me last night to say he'd forgotten to include The Long Good Friday, which he described as one of his top three!
Worthy of inclusion, or not? And at which film's expense?

Le Pen
12th Aug 2006, 14:53
Out with 2001
In with Lost in Translation
For anyone who has spent long afternoons and even longer nights in crew hotels this film hit the spot!

Flash2001
12th Aug 2006, 16:48
Surely Bad Day at Black Rock has to be in here if only for the fight scene which has to be the best ever filmed.

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again.

Spotlight
12th Aug 2006, 17:48
Tracy's character in Bad Day at Black Rock was a beauty. No one has mentioned the Pechinpah (spelling) classic The Getaway. Loved It!

frostbite
12th Aug 2006, 18:02
Arguably, Ronin had the best car chase ever.

Buster Cherry
12th Aug 2006, 18:50
Out with Shawshank Redemption and replace with Scum.

Good shout Foss,
Davis, yer nothing. I'm the Daddy 'ere, I run this wing. You pay yer dues like the rest. Payday, you deliver a quarter of your snout to Stripey 'ere, every week on the dot.
:ouch:

I seem to remember a spin off about a women`s prison called Scrubbers. Starred Pat Butcher & was absolute tosh.

Mr Pax
12th Aug 2006, 21:53
Sorry BC but Shawshank should be number 1 on the list!!!!!:D

MP

jet_noseover
12th Aug 2006, 21:59
Sorry BC but Shawshank should be number 1 on the list!!!!!:D
MP

Could not agree more.

PS
"Das Boot" is one's all time fav's as well.

Foss
13th Aug 2006, 11:15
Ronin
Excellent car chase, (Audi again, 'cept they dont wreck theirs like me :{ )

Drop any of the westerns and put in Heat.
Go
Running.. And lot of shooting
Go and a lot of shooting
Excellent

Fos

G-ZUZZ
13th Aug 2006, 12:18
"Das Boot" is one's all time fav's as well.

Since apparently it's German for "The Boat", shouldn't it be called "Der Boot"???

"Downfall" was another good German fillum. Sad ending though.

Replace both Monty Pythons with "The Kentucky Fried Movie."

And replace ET, THE ODD COUPLE, ON THE WATERFRONT, RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER,
SCHINDLER’S LIST, SCOTT OF THE ANTARTIC, TRAINSPOTTING and WITHNAIL & I with:

12 hours of quality USAAF P-51 gun-camera film.

Romeo Charlie
13th Aug 2006, 12:34
Since apparently it's German for "The Boat", shouldn't it be called "Der Boot"???

No, Boot is third person so warrants the use of Das, Der is for male nouns.

G-ZUZZ
13th Aug 2006, 12:47
Der is for male nounsBeing about a submarine, wouldn't a male-analogy be more appropriate...? (LAHAFOS:rolleyes: )

Having seen one or two other "artistic" German films, I would've thought the gerries 'd be right onto that one.

H Ferguson
13th Aug 2006, 19:23
APOCALYPSE NOW

ALIENS out , SIGNS in.

DAS BOOT, The Hunt for Red October, another one of my favourite submarine film's

FULL METAL JACKET , out Saving Private Ryan ,in.

GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, THE, hey blondie!

GREAT ESCAPE, THE
HIGH SOCIETY

ICE COLD IN ALEX , excuse the pun ,but worth waiting for

MONTY P’S LIFE OF BRIAN
PULP FICTION
RAGING BULL
REAR WINDOW, Hithcock at his best.
RESERVOIR DOGS
SCHINDLER’S LIST
STAR WARS out , Close Encounters of the Third Kind in.
TRAINSPOTTING

To Kill a Mocking Bird ,one of the greatest film's ever made.

Sawshank Redemption, hope spring's eternal!

A Few Good Men , brilliant cast ,brilliant story .

Foss
13th Aug 2006, 19:34
Drop out Raging Bull, and get a zombie flick in.
28 Days Later.
'I'll kill you in a heartbeat' :eek:

Fos
not too many fluffy wuffy films coming from me