PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive install

CBA_caption
10th Aug 2006, 18:48
Here's the sitch:

Ripped out Hitachi Travelstor HD from a dead laptop. Bought a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter. Have got the jumpers sorted for Pri and Sec, BIOS is happy.

The drive runs perfectly under XP MCE (Pro), but when I try to shut down the system it won't power down. The LED on the power button switches off and it makes noises like it's switching off, but the screen stays on and the power supply is still live (all fans running).

It's definately the drive, it works fine without, but I was wondering if there is any more advice in the collective knowledge so that I can use the drive, thinking Power management problems, but can't find a fix.

Thanks for ant thoughts,

CBA

Wing Commander Fowler
12th Aug 2006, 21:53
Can you provide more information on the setup? Is this now the primary drive for the desktop and are you therefore running your desktop from the os on this drive? If so, when you select power options under the current arrangement does it still give you the option "what shall I do when you close the lid of your laptop"? If so, the os would presumably still believe it's handling a laptop and would therefore behave accordingly.

CBA_caption
13th Aug 2006, 18:08
Thanks for the reply, boss.

I've finally managed to crack the problem. The drive was a secondary to back up my data. Conflict in the BIOS between APM and ACPI, as I found out after ripping apart the PC and trying every other option!

Thanks also to those who looked, but were unable to help.

CBA

Wing Commander Fowler
13th Aug 2006, 22:06
Ah! Well done chuck! :ok: