PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick Flight Tomorrow-what to do ?

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 11:56
Hi there

wife has a gatwick flight tomorrow with easyjet 17.40 to malaga

my question is (since i haven't a clue) what to do ? Hard for me to find out the details too as i am abroad

as i see it there are the following options

1) forget about the holiday and take the refund (this is the option i'd like to avoid)

2) leave things as they are and hope it'll all be ok, if a little late

3) book a single to malaga out of another airport eg Norwich, birmingham, southampton, in the hope that things might be ok

I am just posting this because i think some people on this site may have a clue what is really going on and some experience of how badly affected flights will be

thanks in advance for any comments

manintheback
10th Aug 2006, 12:15
Gatwick flights reported operating as near normal. So stuff everything in the hold luggage and get there with 3 hours to kill.

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 12:20
ta

hard to find much out on the internet
somewhat unsurprisingly, the easyjet website is useless

Phileas Fogg
10th Aug 2006, 12:29
In such a situation it is almost impossible for airlines to keep up to speed with things thus we all need to be patient and understanding.

Best is to monitor the TV news and occasionally visit the EZY website to check for updates, also the BAA website.

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 12:37
I agree with "in such a situation it is almost impossible for airlines to keep up to speed with things thus we all need to be patient and understanding".

however......

they COULD do better in providing info. this is the case now and is also the case in times of "normal operation".

easyjet is not the only culprit by any means.

redsnail
10th Aug 2006, 12:42
On easyJet's (http://www.easyjet.com/EN/News/uk_disruption_10_august_2006_2.html) site.
To find it, go to the home page and then look down a bit and there's a link to the page I've highlighted. Took me a few seconds to find it.

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 13:00
yes thanks

i found that too a few hrs ago
i find this internet malarkey pretty easy

that tells me which flights are cancelled today
however what i want is an indication of how long they expect disruption to continue
ie is there any point in turning up tomorrow
how long do they expect it to take for the backlog to be cleared
should one arrive at the airport 2hrs, 3hrs, 7hrs before one´s flight

i understand they cannot give exact answers but some general indications might be useful

also, and this applies to many airlines generally, i think it is unacceptable that it is often impossible to get through by phone to request info (reactionaries, please note i am not talking about overloaded phone systems due to this incident. I am talking about in the usual course of business).

Generally I find many uk and indeed european airlines shoddy to say the least

but then i have spent most of my life in Asia where one gets used to excellence and a service ethic which makes europe look third world

I am now diving for cover....

TightSlot
10th Aug 2006, 14:16
i understand they cannot give exact answers but some general indications might be useful
I believe that airlines might simply be unable to give general indications, since they lack all the necessary information, a difficulty currently shared by our government and security services.

:)

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 14:47
a somewhat overly dramatic post there Tight Slot

i should be able to find out whether they intend to attempt to clear the backlog tomorrow or whether they are cancelling all flights today full stop and INTENDING (note i am not using definitive language) to start tomorrow's schedule afresh (conditions permitting)

everyone accepts these are difficult and uncertain times
i do not expect much. The above is not much to expect really.

a note on the website or a call centre that contains more than 2 poor souls could provide me with some form of an answer, albeit perhaps not the answer i am looking for

the issue is not recent events
the issue is poor service

but like i say, i have been spoilt

Xeque
10th Aug 2006, 14:48
I've spent several hours today watching BBC World (maybe the least biased foreign news agency available to me here in Thailand).

It seems to me that the suddeness of the changes to security measures is what caused the disruption. People were already at the airports expecting to carry on hand luggage as usual. The problem for them must have been where to go and be able to repack their hold baggage in accordance with the new rules.

As for outbound Duty Free - so what? The airlines have been complaining about the potential danger of bringing heavy glass bottles of booze on board and then stuffing it in the overhead lockers for years. What is wrong with buying Duty Free on arrival at the destination? In any case, most foreign duty frees are a great deal less expensive that those in the UK.

Who really needs to take water/coffee/beer on board the aircraft when it is freely available once boarded?

From tomorrow onwards, if passengers have properly taken note of what is now required, there shouldn't be that amount of disruption other than whatever delays remain in getting today's passengers away and re-positioning aircraft and crews that had to delay their arrivals because of aircraft overcrowing at UK airports particularly Heathrow.

Passengers could also help the situation by arriving with the stuff they can take (if they must take it into the cabin) already clearly identifyable and in the requested, see-through plastic bags. We've had to put laptop computers and other electrical stuff into such bags when taking them through UK airports for months so whats new there?

Slightly tongue in cheek, one might also help to speed up the process by holding up ones trousers with string (or wear braces) and travel in flip flops rather than shoes :D

Not wishing to put valuables in the hold. Do you really have to take jewelry with you if you're going on holiday?

Businessmen. Is your journey really necessary in the first place? Could it not be handled by a video conference call with temporary contracts signed and faxed to be followed up with originals in the post. The banks have been accepting faxed signatures for years. So you miss a jolly or you have to leave that precious laptop behind. Hard luck!

There has been a great deal of wailing and gnashing of teeth. We should all be very grateful that the UK police were able to deal with this situation before it developed into something far worse.

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 14:51
xeque

your post contains much sense

but have you not noticed that every time you travel people become morons
eg boarding/disembarking

massive disruption inevitable

eightyknots
10th Aug 2006, 14:57
ManfredvonRichthofen

What you expect is impossible, without the aid of a crystal ball or clairvoyant pills.

Be patient like everyone else. The Airline would very much like give you the service you have paid for.

:ugh:

goshdarnit
10th Aug 2006, 15:00
TightSlot, mod you may be, but I think your post is out of line; MvR is making honest and genuine points and doesn't need your patronising and flippant response.

GDI

See Below

TightSlot
10th Aug 2006, 15:03
a somewhat overly dramatic post there Tight Slot
Sorry that you feel so - the situation is clearly both fluid and complex. Your post echoes the frustration that I'm sure is felt by many. A lot of people are working very hard to minimize the disruption that will be experienced. In such circumstances, it is inevitable that the information flow is either restricted or simply fails to trickle down fast enough to keep up with events.
i should be able to find out whether they intend to attempt to clear the backlog tomorrow or whether they are cancelling all flights today full stop and INTENDING (note i am not using definitive language) to start tomorrow's schedule afresh (conditions permitting)

I don't understand why you feel that at this particular point in time, you should be able to find this out, when it is clear that nobody knows the answer yet. When a suitable plan has been developed, you will be informed. You will then take whatever action you deem the most appropriate. Until then (and with respect) you are simply throwing your toys out of the cot IMHO :)

Just to underline, I'm not trying to pick a fight or take this too far off topic - In a world of perceptions, yours are as valid as mine!

Accordingly, I have edited my own post to remove a comment that was perceived to be patronising (it wasn't) and flippant (it was).

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 15:12
i think you miss my point

read what i wrote again more carefully

Two_Squirrels
10th Aug 2006, 15:26
Does anyone know whether it will be possible to buy books/magazines after check-in and take them onbaord an aircraft to the US? The advice to passengers is a bit vague, as it says that items can be bought afterwards, but subject to search again at the gate, and liquids will be confiscated. I have no problem whatsoever with the increased security, but I cannot see that taking a book on board can be a risk, especially since it can be easily checked by a quick flick throught the pages.

Phileas Fogg
10th Aug 2006, 15:26
Manfred,
I have read your post and I also happen to have been on airline duty on 9/11 thus I understand what the airlines are going through.

We all like to think that we have an answer to every question, the airlines are alike, but they simply do not have the answers yet. No doubt they will be adhering to ever changing government security regulations, they can only operate if the airport in question permits them to do so etc. etc. etc.

Everyone needs to understand the seriousness and difficulties of such a situation and be PATIENT.

eightyknots
10th Aug 2006, 15:35
i think you miss my point
read what i wrote again more carefully

I dont think you comprehend the complexities of the situation.

Robertkc
10th Aug 2006, 15:56
Generally I find many uk and indeed european airlines shoddy to say the least

but then i have spent most of my life in Asia where one gets used to excellence and a service ethic which makes europe look third world

Well, what do you expect when you travel with a LCC like Easyjet? Their service is rubbish. If you want decent service, pay up to travel on a proper airline. Unfortunately (most of) Europe doesn't have an over-abundance of labour like in Asia nor a culture of subservient service. If you don't like it, one can always move back to Asia.

TightSlot
10th Aug 2006, 16:05
In this instance, the legacy carriers are affected as much, and possibly more, than the LoCo's and therefore no benefit would accrue from travelling with a "proper" airline.

Robertkc - Please keep this thread on track and avoid posting aggressively: In doing so, you diminish your own position.

James 1077
10th Aug 2006, 16:28
I would think that easyJet, and all other carriers, will be doing their utmost to ensure that there isn't a repeat of today's cancellations.

Unfortunately, as you can imagine, things change and it also takes time to work out which flights you'll have planes in the right places at the right time to be able to fly.

My best suggestion is to keep an eye on the news section of the website to see what updates there are.

And make sure you get to the airport early tomorrow; I believe eJ will be opening their check in desks 3 hours before the flights tomorrow to give people extra time to get through the additional security.

Phileas Fogg
10th Aug 2006, 17:15
And just think yourselves lucky that a lack of information is all you've got to complain about!

Cahlibahn
10th Aug 2006, 17:42
EasyJet flying programme update for tomorrow:

http://www.easyjet.co.uk/EN/News/uk_disruption_11_august_2006.html

Malaga looks ok - so far

PAXboy
10th Aug 2006, 17:50
The problem, Manfred, is that the airlines don't know what is going to happen in the 6/12/18/24 hours before the one single flight that you are interested in - may depart.

They might, for example, plan the schedule for t'row based upon where their aircraft and crews have landed up and publish that on their website. Then, five minutes (or 23 hours and fifty five minutes) later, the British government will change the regulations under which they are operating. They will then have to take down that list and re-assess their entire operation.

Consequently, it is far better for them to release information once certain and keep asking you to check back. It may well be that your wife reaches the airport and then the flight is cancelled, that is the way our lives are in the UK and you can discuss with the politicians how we came to be targets in war we did not vote for.

Lastly, you are both alive. Enjoy the day.
I say that as one who recalls the moment that the IRA bombed one famous building in a street, as opposed to the other famous onw in that street - in which I was sitting. The consequent inconvienience was minor when I think of the people who died that day.

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 17:55
As if to prove my point...

Easyjet does not intend to clear the backlog from today throughout the course of tomorrow. Instead they INTEND (we accept things may change) to run tomorrow's schedule as if nothing happened today - today's unfortunate passengers must re-book.

This is the information i wanted.
It was gleaned from a neighbour who has a an elderly relative coming out on the same flight. He spent most of the day on the phone (at great cost i imagine) to find this out. My efforts were in vain.

It is therefore, as i suspected, information that has been available for most of the day (he received it at 2pm). It is useful info as it gives you an indication of how to plan your trip (give up, book elsewhere, take your chances on easyjet armed with this info). An "indication" is all one can hope for in this kind of scenario. I will not complain if it turns out not to be entirely accurate due to the changing circumstances - that would be unfair - I simply want an indication of their INTENTIONS, circumstances permitting, so that I can plan.

The info in question is not, however, on their website or, as my quest for it proves, easily obtainable from the airline in any other way.
It should be
I also note the website has not been updated since 1.30pm

Robert
Re the "low cost" comment - easy is not "low cost" to my destination. All flights are unifom in price, including BA (the only carrier i imagine you would deem to be a quality airline to my destination), and are in the £200 bracket for a short haul european flight.
Meanwhile comments such as "...have an over-abundance of labour like in Asia nor a culture of subservient service. If you don't like it, one can always move back to Asia." display ignorance of Asia, which in any case was mentioned for comparative purposes only, not to mention a somewhat petulant attitude.

Eightyknots
"I dont think you comprehend the complexities of the situation."
With the greatest of respect I understand them perfectly. The situation here is that Ez is in possession of information that would be useful to its customers (as has been proved) but is not distrbuting that info. That is and always has been the crux of my point.
I do not expect them to tell me who will win the lottery on saturday. I do expect them to make it easy for me to obtain info which is in their possession relating to a flight booked with them

ONE LAST POINT
please let us not discuss how we are still alive and what could have happened etc

it is off topic. I am making a trivial point about service. weightier issues such as mass murder really belong elsewhere
(that comment is not directed at anyone in particular so please do not take offence)

Cahlibahn
10th Aug 2006, 18:11
Manfred, did you follow the link I posted (2 posts up from your 18:55 posting)?

eightyknots
10th Aug 2006, 18:32
Oh dear. :ugh:

ManfredvonRichthofen
10th Aug 2006, 19:29
I did thank you Cahlibahn
I have not been posting in real time (ie as soon as i found anything out). I had already found out from the neighbour by the time that went up.

just to dampen your snide attitude eighty, that info was not available on the website when i was checking or indeed phoning
but thanks for showing up

eightyknots
10th Aug 2006, 22:30
You are the impatient weirdo, mate, not me.

BOFH
10th Aug 2006, 23:40
Manfred,
you have my sympathy. I am expecting friends tomorrow and have colleagues attempting to get back to Germany. We are all in the dark - and that includes the airlines, I suspect - who don't necessarily want to make enemies of us just yet.
I hope that you have a favourable outcome.
Xeque
I really must take issue with you.
As for outbound Duty Free - so what? The airlines have been complaining about the potential danger of bringing heavy glass bottles of booze on board
So much so, they sell me some of it, actively promoting it over the PA.
Not wishing to put valuables in the hold. Do you really have to take jewelry with you if you're going on holiday?
Who said it was a holiday? Who said the only valuable things were jewelry?
Businessmen. Is your journey really necessary in the first place? Could it not be handled by a video conference call with temporary contracts signed and faxed to be followed up with originals in the post.
Evidently not. That is why our companies pay for it. Commerce 101 is over there -->
BOFH

PAXboy
11th Aug 2006, 01:27
ManfreddyEasyjet does not intend to clear the backlog from today throughout the course of tomorrow. Instead they INTEND (we accept things may change) to run tomorrow's schedule as if nothing happened today - today's unfortunate passengers must re-book.That is standard procedure for airlines. When there was the major power blackout in NYC and the North East USA three years ago (August 14th) all carriers took this approach, certainly BA did. I was due out on 15th very early and had to wait until the 18th. Such is the way we have constructed our lives.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different."
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.