PDA

View Full Version : Staff Travel in America... Question?

blueloo
10th Aug 2006, 01:14
Does anyone know how staff travel in America works, primarily at United, American etc....

The reason I ask, is that at QF, the staff travel is pretty restrictive and not employee friendly at all. Basically as a staff member you get treated like rubbish, and they make staff travel as hard as possible. This is probably worse for other airlines with staff travel rights at QF.

The rumour I heard is that at United/American etc, employees essentially get given a credit card style ticket issuing machine, and they are free to issue a ticket to anyone they feel like, not just staff members etc...(Not to be confused with the pilots having access to flight deck trips). THis sounded a little bit far fetched, so I was curious if anyone can verify it, or provide the more correct version!

:E

Jetlagged Purser
11th Aug 2006, 01:52
Hey everyone,
At my company in the US all of our travel on our own airline in by e-ticket. That includes travel by the employee, eligible family, domestic partners, and companions. The employee must list the traveler by internet, automated telephone, or company system. That person may check in at the automated machines at the airport when they are available. Charges are deducted automaticaly from our paychecks. It is quite a slick system comparted to that of years ago.
Travel on other airlines (few offer zed fares) must be ticketed by our company by telephone call and mail, or airport pick up (usually crowded). We may charge these tickets to credit cards and then get unused tickets refunded (another long airport wait or risk of mailing).
If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer.
Take care!

sebby
11th Aug 2006, 05:38
BL - Which division of QF do you work in?

QF mainline has one of the best employee staff travel products I ahve coem accross, but only if you are based in Aussie or LHR. :ugh:

Pimp Daddy
12th Aug 2006, 02:31
Basically as a staff member you get treated like rubbish, and they make staff travel as hard as possible.

How hard is it to jump on the internet, book an e ticket, list on flight? Even interline is easy with the online requests. Pretty damn easy compared to others I've experienced.

I've never been treated like rubbish - always had very helpful staff and once inflight - no difference to paying passengers.

Sure you have to wait until last minute to get on sometimes, but it's standby!!

Perhaps you have the wrong attitude.

blueloo
12th Aug 2006, 07:21
E ticketing has made life alot easier. However it is not network wide, nor is it as easy as printing off a handful of baording passes, and being charged only when you use them.

It has reduced the exposure to staff travel ticketers, unless you need zed/paper tickets (who were frequently rude - not just to me, but alot of people i spoke to)

Staff travel domestically can in many instances be more expensive compared to full fare virgin blue. (Mainly due to the BS fuel surcharge - but I will leave that discussion to a different forum - search/have a look in D&G)

Singapore staff travel can be a nightmare - singapore airport staff frequently will load their staff on QF flights ahead of QF staff. It is a known problem, nobody seems to be able to fix.

Domestically, especially at Perth, the upgrades are remarkably suss.

Anyway my post is to find out information about staff travel on United/American carriers.