PDA

View Full Version : Empty Flight

fly_high
9th Aug 2006, 22:48
I read a story in a national newspaper a few years back about a 747 crossing the Atlantic from America to the UK. The paper reported that due to some reason (possibly weather) all the passengers bar one had been transfered onto other flights but the one guy was quite happy to wait it out as he wasn't in any rush.

So the story goes, because everybody else had been put on other planes there was only the one passenger on the entire flight. If I remember correctly he was upgraded to first class (it would have been a bit miserable sitting in the back on your own!) and was allowed into the cockpit for landing.

It does sound remarkable but I suppose this must be possible. What's the quietest longhaul flight anybody here's ever been on?

GrahamK
9th Aug 2006, 22:57
It was a JFK-LHR flight that was diverted into CWL IIRC

scudpilot
10th Aug 2006, 15:52
I remember reading the story in Skyport (the Heathrow local Rag) Apparently the aircraft went technical, and all PAX were transferred to a later flight. This passenger did not fancy being jammed into a packed aircraft and waited it out for the aircraft to be repaired, end result, he was the only passenger.

apaddyinuk
10th Aug 2006, 16:56
Graham, the two passengers on that flight (the one that diverted into Cardiff because of fumes onboard) where actually crew relatives. The flight had a tech problem in JFK resulting in all the pax being sent on another flight. The crew kept their "cling-ons" with them and then they got a nice night out in Cardiff too!!!