PDA

View Full Version : The F word.

lexxity
9th Aug 2006, 21:09
No not quite that one but this one. (http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/F/fword/)

I just wondered how other viewers out there felt about some of the content of the show. Specifically the slaughter scenes of pigs, this week, and eels last week, etc.
Personally I think it's great that it is being shown because more and more people think that food starts and finishes with a supermarket and there is no process involved in rearing and killing the meat they eat. It can only do proper farming good and discourage people from buying inhumanly reared meat.

Mercenary Pilot
9th Aug 2006, 21:12
I think its discouraged my other half from eating meat full stop! :bored:

Jinkster
9th Aug 2006, 23:11
Thought it was quite good - these things happen in real life and there is no point trying to hide it.......IMHO of course

G-CPTN
9th Aug 2006, 23:16
Do they show what (some) farmers do with their sheep?

pigboat
10th Aug 2006, 00:35
Slaughtering pigs!!! Barbarians! :ooh:

reynoldsno1
10th Aug 2006, 00:53
I agree pb - I suppose you make 'em walk the plank...????

pigboat
10th Aug 2006, 01:21
Of course. Lard floats. :p

Blacksheep
10th Aug 2006, 03:44
I recall a TV experiment from a few years back, where they put a bunch of people in a bronze age village for a year with only a film camera from the modern age. Apart from useful artifacts such as wooden ploughs, bronze axes and woollen cloaks they had a pig and some sheep. Naturally, being fluffy sandal wearing folk they gave the pig a name - Harvey (or Humphrey?) the Hog - and taught it to come when called. He was very smart that pig. But perhaps not as smart as he might have been... :suspect:

After nine months of bronze age hardship with only the odd rabbit to thicken up the stew, it came time to slaughter something bigger. Chickens are needed for their eggs, the ewes were in lamb and of course the ram was needed alive for, for... well what rams do in the autumn (:ok:). They had no qualms about hauling Harvey (or Humphrey) up by his back legs and slitting his throat, though and as I recall they made a pretty good job of butchering him. Even the children joined in, laughing with joy. Meat! Ham! Gammon steaks! Bacon and eggs for breakfast... Oh the luxury!! Mmmm!

We may prefer our meat clean and neatly wrapped in cling film today, but folks will always be prepared to do the dirty when they get hungry enough. I myself had a rather nice worm omelette on my jungle survival course. Then there were the jellied grubs. Yum yum! You won't find them in Sainsbury's :E

G-CPTN
10th Aug 2006, 03:52
I was disappointed to discover that 'chocolate-coated ants' aren't individually coated, but formed into a 'cake'. I was looking forward to seeing chocolate ants like tiny jelly babies and be able to bite off the legs . . .

green granite
10th Aug 2006, 06:32
The concept not new Hugh Fearnly-whatshisname has allways made a point of showing his aninmals at the slaughterhouse, even carrying a bucket of blood from the pig back home in the landrover to turn into black pudding.

tubthumper
10th Aug 2006, 08:04
Credit to Mr Ramsay. Having been moved to tears, and almost throwing up, he decides the best way to honour Trinny and Susannah's memory is to cook something really nice with them in it. It's what every little piggy wants to be when he grows up.

The present Mrs Thumper is vegetarian, but still had to admit that the fillet of beef gratin looked delicious....

tubthumper
10th Aug 2006, 08:10
And another thing....

....The present Mrs T. and I have regular battles getting daughter no. 1 to eat her mashed potatoes, and yet Mr Ramsey's 2-year-old is shouting, "More sauteed garden snails, please, Daddy...." How does he manage that, then?:ugh:

green granite
10th Aug 2006, 09:38
If a kid likes something the first time they try it then they will be happy to eat it again, if they are served up things they don't like they won't eat it. Like me really :hmm:

Standard Noise
10th Aug 2006, 09:50
tubthumper- I know what you mean, Noisy jnr is 15 and we can barely get him to eat spuds or veg, when he was at his grandparents' place as a kiddie, all they fed him was Maccy D's:hmm: :ugh: := .
I love embarrassing him when my sister and her husband bring their two kids (11 and 7yo) down as they will eat anything as long as it's on their plate.
He tells us of exotic things he eats at friends houses, but turns his nose up if we cook them.

F word is the best cookery show on the telly, hope the have another series.

Parapunter
10th Aug 2006, 09:53
It does seem to have become a little self consciously harder edged in recent weeks, though that's fair enough - you wonder how many kids think meat comes from Tesco nowadays, so I suppose it's not too much to ask us carnivores to have the courage of our convictions.

Wouldn't mind them losing Janet Street potty though. Gawd she's annoying:}

Minty Fresh
10th Aug 2006, 09:57
You mean "Foody gobshite - Janet Street Porter"

What a great intro - good on ya Gordon

Skypilot
10th Aug 2006, 15:05
Whilst we're on the subject, do you reckon that Gordon Ramsey would be a really good bloke to have as one of your mates, or would his huge self-confidence and competitive nature mean that he'd wind you up in an instant? I can't make my mind up either way...

tony draper
10th Aug 2006, 15:13
From what I have seen of the Ramsey person I'm supprised somebody hasn't nutted the loudmouthed fecker on camera.
Worked with a chap once who was brought up in a small village betwixt the wars he said most people kept a pig or two,and when the slaughterman was called all the neighbourhood kids used to rush around to watch,hmmm, weren't no telly then I suppose.
:rolleyes:

Rossian
10th Aug 2006, 19:27
When my kids were 10/11-ish and we were at a gite in Cognac the owner arranged to have a couple of sheep killed for a big w/e party. The kids said "Dad Dad Dad can we watch? puleeze". Mum said "Only if your Dad is with you - I'M not doing it!!"
The old boy who turned up had stainless steel false teeth, which the kids found fascinating and after a careful briefing the old man set about the job. He treated the animals with great gentleness and respect and made such a neat job of severing the jugular (they were not stunned)that there was very little blood spread around. There were no struggles and it was much much later that I realised that it was effectively a halal/kosher type slaughter. The dressing of the carcasses also gave them a first anatomy lesson which they still remember now that they're in their late thirties ; and ,yes, they both rate roast lamb as their favoured Sunday lunch when they come to stay.
Positive lessons can be learned in the most unlikely circumstances at any stage in life.
The Ancient Mariner

Blacksheep
11th Aug 2006, 05:32
or would his huge self-confidence and competitive nature mean that he'd wind you up in an instant?Let him handle the barbie while you burgle his missus. That's what any self respecting alpha male does... :E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Aug 2006, 07:26
Gammon steaks! where did they get the pineapples from then?

Parapunter
11th Aug 2006, 08:17
I reckon he's ok that Gordon Ramsey - I've known guys like him & that ebullience & domineering can wear a chap down & make you want to t**t him one, however, it is coupled oin his case at least with a sharp sense of humour & an ability to laugh at himself, if not going quite as far as self deprecation.

Interesting that when people have blown up at him, he's taken them to one side & said it's in order to push them to new levels of quality - someone sooner or later ain't gonna buy that....:ouch:

reynoldsno1
14th Aug 2006, 01:39
Castrated me first piglets when I were about 12 - with a VERY sharp penknife - makes 'em grow fatter.
r1jr (15) still eats her mangda - Thai water beetles - very pungent taste she first tried at 3-4 yrs old....:\