PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Of Congo (maybe moving there)

Need_new_job
9th Aug 2006, 16:20
I am thinking of taking a job there. Any advice? Pro & Cons. Thanks for your time.

Airforce1
9th Aug 2006, 19:07
you gotta tell us more....
Brazzaville, Pointe Noire? what sort of operator?

Need_new_job
9th Aug 2006, 21:31
It would be Point Noire flying a MU300 (old Beechjet, Diamond). Company is out of Italy. Company is providing housing and car.

the flyingenglishman
9th Aug 2006, 21:48
I think the paramount concern with an area like the Congo is your personal safety. If you can be damn sure you're going to be safe (all aspects) there, then go for it but if there's any doubt, don't risk it. Find out as much about the place as possible. I know of one operator there that ceased pilot recruitment due to the uncertainty of crew safety. Here is a link which may be of use: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cg.html

Best of luck:ok:

Need_new_job
9th Aug 2006, 21:52
Thank you very much for the info. The name of the company is Slam Lavori Aerei out of Naples. Do you know anything about them? Once again thanks!

DHC8-FO
10th Aug 2006, 12:48
Im moving there as well, sometime in the first week in September, PM and we can compare details. For some reason the server wont let me PM now?

Need_new_job
10th Aug 2006, 14:56
Sure DHC, What are you going to be flying? For who?

Treetopflyer
10th Aug 2006, 22:00
Pointe Noire quite a safe place actually. Even during the war 8 yrs ago, it was kept relatively safe from the fightings.

Quite a few expats due to oil companies operating out there. A few nice restaurants and night clubs to hang out in (try Jacady's). However Pointe Noire remains a large village, very African, which I think is nice. Great beaches as well, not too far from town.

Have fun.

TTF

Need_new_job
11th Aug 2006, 04:57
Thanks for the info!!

wilford@global
11th Aug 2006, 12:24
robbed at knife point on the beach at point noire (near the beach restaurant)
you will need some local help to keep you safe.

Treetopflyer
11th Aug 2006, 14:12
robbed at knife point on the beach at point noire

It's probably because you didn't know how to spell it correctly...:E :E :E

More seriously, there is some petty crime there, yes, just like anywhere in the world. But at least these thieves robbed you and let you go. In Kin or Jo'burg I'm not sure they would have been that nice...

Oh, and Need_New_Job, if you speak some French it will help you quite a bit to find your way around and get to know the locals.

TTF

Dan Air 87
11th Aug 2006, 20:41
I agree with the other postings here. PNR is great fun but you need to be more careful than anywhere else I have been to. Try and get a pass to get into the oil club on the beach as the food is great. If not, try La Piscine which is next door and has a great swimming pool and an even better restaurant. Also, try and get some friends in the other oil firms too. I would avoid the beach as you get hassled there.

Be careful in the town at night as well. Its barmy but I quite enjoyed the place and the airport just has to be seen. You name it-its flying out of there. I have seen Islanders and some Soviet stuff plus the odd DC9 etc. Also, be sure to keep your tank full of fuel-sometimes there can be chaos when there is a delivery to a filling station and everyone is short.

Great range of restaurants too so you won't go hungry. There is a good Chinese and also there is a small place towards the harbour that has a Sunday night buffet with a live band who are brilliant. Will try and remeber the name of this place but it was a real blast. Also, there is a good supermarket that stocks most things that you will need but remember it is expensive.

Final piece of advice. Enjoy!

Need_new_job
11th Aug 2006, 22:04
Thank you for all the information. Now it looks like I have to make a choice. Been offered a position in India, little more money.

putt for dough
12th Aug 2006, 02:29
Just be careful my son....
IE: there are many extremists in India.

ps : there are many fine women there too:ok:

Need_new_job
12th Aug 2006, 05:06
I like the fine women part!! I AM SOLD!! LOL!:D :ok:

Dan Air 87
13th Aug 2006, 09:24
You are making the wrong choice here mate. Have you seen the women in PNR? They are beautiful to see and meet when you go to the various bars. I will go back to PNR anytime for all the fun. What do you want to go to India for?? I have served my time in India and my advice is one word. AVOID.

Speevy
13th Aug 2006, 09:29
Avoid both Congo, and the people from Naples,
only one word for you: Crooks..
But then again who am I to tell you so..
Speevy

south coast
13th Aug 2006, 09:41
very true...when we go to naples, or for that matter anywhere in italy the filthy wops always rip us off!!!!!

Speevy
13th Aug 2006, 10:22
Well spken SC, too bad that the reason the italians ripp you off is a bit different:
They do that cause you are brit....
:E

Need_new_job
13th Aug 2006, 19:10
I been offered more $$$ to go to India. Still, both outfits seem a bit shady. Getting info from them is like pulling teeth. Worse come to worse I still my crap regional job. The guy in India wants me to send him copies of all my personal documents. I have held off doing that till I have more info. Anyone else ever gone through this?:Never been to India so I am open to new things. I adapt pretty good to different places.

Airforce1
13th Aug 2006, 22:25
I dont know who you trying to rig up with in India,but I know that there have been many issues there with agencys offering clients to airlines-and then the airline offers a better package the pilot and snubs out the hiring agency. So they are very quick to get you contracted to them solely.
The appeal of India depends if you in a good town,saying that the worst towns there might not be far off from PNR. Bear in mind the Indian CAA have been known to not give validations after one year, and did you know Qatar (and I don't know what other airlines) will not hire you, if in the past you worked in India (Flightdeck and Cabin crew) ????

PNR is really rural,if want to enjoy a Ngok or Primus while chasing away the mozzies and local woman at a bar then PNR will be your answer....:}

Dan Air 87
14th Aug 2006, 19:28
Well there you go..you have an option. The choice is yours. Go to India with the heat/rain/whatever else or go to the Congo and sun yourself in PNR with excellent French cuisine, a couple of great nightclubs and some stonking restaurants. When you party there then it takes a couple of days to recover. Take your driving licence as its great fun to drive down the coast to some of the beaches. You can also escape to places such as Libreville for a weekend and live life up.

Hope you decide to go to PNR and if so send me a PM.

HSInop
2nd Sep 2006, 20:56
Again the choice is the matter here. After been assigned to congo (all parts) I found a wanting to go back to India. The mentality of India is much better than that of the Congo. If the pay is better then thats what we fly for and our passion. I have to go back to Congo for a aircraft purchase and ferry back to india, I :ugh: to think that I have to go back even for the short time that I am there. But the pay is good. Only have one more month in southern India then back to Alaska. The food is wonderful and health care is a world of difference if you need it. I have many more friends in India and there you can stay out all night long. The villiages in India are friendly too. No one there to stick a AK in your face. This is a tail of two worlds. Good luck to you and stay safe. :)