PDA

View Full Version : AIB question

DMackie
9th Aug 2006, 11:23
Do the AIB check up on an applicants URNU history even if he/she doesn't use the CO as a reference?

A mate of mine was politely asked to leave after a rather drunken moment between himself and a female UAS student. However, it was during the 4th year of my time on the URNU and I wont be using the CO as a reference (obviously!). Will this raise any eyebrows? And do they automatically check up on your history if you used to be an URNU student?

Thanks for any help from a slightly embarrassed, ex URNU, pilot wannabe, who has just graduated!

Danny_Boy
9th Aug 2006, 11:41
Do the AIB check up on an applicants URNU history even if he/she doesn't use the CO as a reference?

A mate of mine was politely asked to leave after a rather drunken moment between himself and a female UAS student. However, it was during the 4th year of my time on the URNU and I wont be using the CO as a reference (obviously!). Will this raise any eyebrows? And do they automatically check up on your history if you used to be an URNU student?

Thanks for any help from a slightly embarrassed, ex URNU, pilot wannabe, who has just graduated!

Forgetting your lie within the same paragraph? Oh dear, schoolboy error. Was it you, or was it your mate. If it was your mate - no problem for your application. If it was you, have a bloody good answer (and then remeber what it was in case of cross-examination later). Are you applying to the Navy as a pilot (just wondering how this found it's way to PPrune?). Rum Ration may be of more use. I'll leave you to find it for yourself, you being an officer candidate and all that.

Wader2
9th Aug 2006, 11:44
Miss DMackie perhaps?

DMackie
9th Aug 2006, 11:55
There was supposed to be a ;) after the mate bit! Yes it was me but like i say 3 and a bit years of good service to my URNU destroyed in one night by my stupidity, hopefully not my Naval career.

This site seems to have a lot more posters than Rum.

Wader2
9th Aug 2006, 12:06
I would imagine that it would be very odd if they did not check.

How do you 'avoid' the whole subject of URNU. Obvious questions would be 'what did you do at . . . ?' 'Why did you leave the URNU?' etc.

They may have access to reports etc, your CO may know someone in the AIB. At OASC they often send board members to AFCO recruiting shows to see how the AFCO applies the initial filter - 'where are you from?' Persia. 'That's Iran isn't it?' Well yes but I like to think of myself as Persian. 'Sorry British nationals only, next.'

Your best bet is to put as best a spin on it as possible and tell 'em how you have learnt how to control your alcoholism and rampant instincts. If you get accepted you will then have a year or so to prove they were right.:)

Comp Charlie
9th Aug 2006, 18:41
AIB? Ascension Island Base? Formerly RAF Ascension? Unfortunately not :(

CC

bad livin'
10th Aug 2006, 16:14
Yes they will know your URNU history, yes they will know you were kicked out for being a tw*t, yes they'll expect you to defend yourself and illustrate ways in which you've changed, grown, found yourself, and so on.

One foot wrong with the truth about what happened (and by this I mean your URNU boss's version) and they'll all smell it a mile away. At that point you can kiss your AIB and any chance of an invite back goodbye. Personally I'd be very keen to hear you talk your way around it in the interview...