PDA

View Full Version : An MS Office Annoyance - Dictionaries

Belgique
9th Aug 2006, 01:44
Whenever you're correcting a document, Word or FrontPage offers to "add to dictionary" an obscure word or a technical term and you accept. However it evidently never does it because the next time you open that document on the same computer the very same underlined supposed errors of spelling are there again.
Anybody have any clues on this? Is there a trick or a setting?

Saab Dastard
9th Aug 2006, 13:00
Tools\Options\Spelling & Grammar - ensure that custom.dic is selected as the default.

Works fine for me - if you are still having trouble, consult the Office help for "custom.dic". No "k", btw. ;)

SD

Belgique
9th Aug 2006, 16:26
SAAB DASTARD

Everything is as you say but still seems not to be accruing the terms.
Not about to reinstall either.

Have another laptop where I can't copy/paste into Frontpage unless it's first opened (i.e. won't CTRL C to the clipboard).

I hate all my computers equally..... so it's not that they're impartial to me.

B

Keef
12th Aug 2006, 14:53
Everything is as you say but still seems not to be accruing the terms.

Start Word, then open the CUSTOM.DIC file (SD's instructions above will show you the location on your hard drive).

If Word can't open it, it'll tell you something about why not. If it can open it and all your words are there, that'll tell you something else.

I have several computers running Word (family job) - I keep the spellcheckers synchronised - update the "master" CUSTOM.DIC by "spellchecking" the others, then copy the master back to all the machines

It will work when you get it configured right.