PDA

View Full Version : exam help

craigbrodie
8th Aug 2006, 20:05
Hi,

I recieved my exam results today and they weren't great.
B for geography
C for physics, maths and english and information systems

i've always wanted to be an air traffic controller and on the NATS website it says you need 3 highers at grade C or above to apply. now as you can tell i've got 5 highers but 4 of them are at the lowest grade. i might be able to appeal physics as i got a B in the prelim for it

in my last year at school i was going to take adv higher geography and adv higher physics (but i doubt they will let me take that now)

do you's think i should take maths, english and physics again??
cos i would think even though i'am eligiable i'll get passed over for those with better grades. or do you think i'll be ok and should hope my personality shines through on the application.

p.s. before any of you's say i should have tried harder i honestly thought after i came out the exam that i'd done better than what i later discovered i had :(

MancBoy
8th Aug 2006, 20:19
Am i missing something or have you got more than 3 highers at grade c or above?

I think you have so where is the problem?

If it says C or above then thats what you need.

NATS isn't a university so i doubt they would discriminate for someone with better grades.

When I applied I had sat my A levels but was waiting for the results. I got the results whilst at the college and had got an N and 3 U's.

13 years later I'm approaching the top of the scale. Intelligence doesn't equate to ATC ability.

Thankfully!

Number2
9th Aug 2006, 00:08
That's because exam results don't equate with intelligence!!!

Lookatthesky
9th Aug 2006, 07:31

And a degree these days certainly doesn't!! :E

Dances with Boffins
9th Aug 2006, 07:39
Mind you, your English is pretty bad and considering I only got a C in my Higher at the second attempt, it must be really bad for me to spot it.

There is no Higher standard maths involved in ATC, the Physics is pretty basic and when all is said and done, most of the English is spoken. Learning more about Trigonometry, Shakespeare or Newtonian Laws won't help you a damn at Hurn. Sheer bloody determination goes a long way though.

We've had stars at the college who were academically as thick as mince. We've had guys with 1st Class honours degrees who couldn't validate in Legoland.

Go for it.:ok:

Standard Noise
9th Aug 2006, 08:05
You'll only find out by filling in the app. form and posting it!
I got 3 A levels (Ancient Hist/History/Bus Studies), two E's and an N.
Got in first time and been here ever since. It's not all about academic qualifications, otherwise the deputy head boy from my school year would have got in (he was a real swot, 3 A's) and I wouldn't. We also had many people on our course who had degrees and found out that they meant nothing in the grand scheme.

Just one thing though, when writing any narrative for the application, do it on a spare sheet of paper and check the spelling before filling the forms. Not taking the p!ss here, but it will create a better impression if you spell properly.

Bern Oulli
9th Aug 2006, 11:56
Perhaps one should be looking for a Higher in computer gaming? I was/am crap at maths/physics an' all that technical stuff. Got an "A" level in Geography (useful). That was it and here I am having survived 37 years in ATC.
Waits for incoming from DwB.

London Mil
9th Aug 2006, 12:04

And intelligence doesn't equate with being a controller :O :O :O

PS. (Technology, Physics, Maths), D, E & O.

Dances with Boffins
10th Aug 2006, 07:58
Berni, they never had A levels in your day. Higher is a word that no-one ever associated with you.:rolleyes:

Craig, consider what you will do if you don't get in to ATC. Best and safest bet is to apply for ATC, but also either go back to school to improve grades whilst application is processing [you can always jack school early if NATS takes you or postpone joining NATS until after you resit the Highers next May] or if you are offered a place, start at Uni. That way if NATS gives you a GTF, you can still get better grades and/or nip off to Uni instead. The grades you have must give you a lousy choice of Uni places at the moment.:{

The grades in your Highers don't count for anything with NATS. You have as much chance of getting in now as you would with 5 A's.

45 before POL
11th Aug 2006, 01:22
If Nats want 3 highers and you got 5 , you got what is needed....they are not interested in whether it is a C or an A+++ as long as you got the requirements. I know i had the minimum which is less than you and they they let me in.:E if it is what you want to do then go for it....got to admit i wouldn't want to do anything else and many controllers are the same......have a look on the threds on this site....some of the chaps have put a lot of effort into giving an insight into what is needed and ....boy does it help.......I know. 2nd time round it made it a lot easier...but bottom line is you got to sell yourself....be bold, positive.....and a tad arrogant......might just get you there:ok: