PDA

View Full Version : SMTP server over WiFi

Sultan Ismail
8th Aug 2006, 08:59
I normally work my email through the company webmail server, easy to do on the browser. Now however I am trying to configure my personal POP3 mail address through Outlook 2003 and I am at a loss with the SMTP server.
I could provide the POP3 server info and can therefore receive my personal mail on Outlook, just set it up and it worked, but I cannot send mail because I have missed something on the SMTP info.
To add to the confusion all my work is done on a laptop with a WiFi connection, either from the hotel or Starbucks (sorry about that)
If this does not make sense, well, I am the ultimate layman. :8
Would like some advice please.

BOAC
8th Aug 2006, 09:12
(In Outlook Express - I don't use Outlook) there is a tab in the email setup that allows a 'secure connection' under 'Servers'/'outgoing Mial server'. It may be that your co mail require this?

amanoffewwords
8th Aug 2006, 13:04
If you are away from base a lot you might need to rent an smtp relay service. This will allow you to send emails regardless of who provides you with your email service.

Google "smtp relay service" for some example of companies that provide this.

BLUE SKY THINKER
8th Aug 2006, 13:36
Why not just install your own free SMTP Server?

HERE (http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html)
is an example, although I have no personal experience, so can't vouch for it.

http://www.softstack.com/images/freesmtp.gif

Plenty of others around; I'm sure someone here can recommend one.

mdc
8th Aug 2006, 14:11
Have you asked your Company IT department for the settings assuming what your intending to do, is inline with company policy) ? They may require you to have SMTP Authentication, or connect via SSL/TLS or even have a non standard port number. The latter is sometimes used to as a work around to the problem with some ISP's/HotSpot providers who require all SMTP traffic on their network to route via their SMTP server.

Saab Dastard
8th Aug 2006, 23:27
BST,

Looking at the small print (literally) on that screenshot, it would appear to be the sort of thing that no self-respecting spammer would be without!

The reason that it is so difficult to find an SMTP server host willing to relay your outbound mail is precisely because of spam.

I would never recommend anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing to set up an SMTP server - especially on a broadband connection. It is too easy to leave an open relay to be exploited by spambots. Then it will be YOUR smtp server and YOUR domain that is blacklisted.

I'm not having a go at you - just emphasising the problems with SMTP relays.

SD

BLUE SKY THINKER
9th Aug 2006, 12:31
SD . . . . .

"No prob.; good points. ...It was merely an illustrative (yet maybe poor) example to highlight the principle; hence my personal disclaimer. ...I know someone who has gone down this route recently - to my knowledge without problem - which is the only reason I decided to raise the option............................"

[Edit: Since earlier reply have had a bit more time this evening to look into the background of the subject and have come across one or two horror stories along the lines you mention!]

BST.

BLUE SKY THINKER
9th Aug 2006, 21:25
As editing (previous) wont bring this to the top, this seperate post merely to emphasize, following further reading, that setting up an SMTP Server is probably not recommended for (to quote SD) "anyone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing". ...Have come across some interesting tales this evening.

IO540
10th Aug 2006, 16:51
Quite simply, the answer here is that while one can retrieve emails from a POP box when connected via another ISP, one cannot transmit emails via an SMTP server when connected via another ISP.

As noted above, this is to prevent spammers.

What is needed is access to an authenticating SMTP server. Such a server needs a login (login+password). (When you send emails via your own ISP's SMTP server you don't normally need a login for that because it authenticates on your IP.)

Lots of commercial outfits offer these servers, for some money.

Or, if your company runs its own POP server, it could just as easily set up an authenticating SMTP server.

With a strong password, and correctly configured, it should be safe.

ExSimGuy
10th Aug 2006, 19:34
I think I have the answer for you - not sure I fully understand your problem, but I have found that I cannot send email from my "primary default" address when I am not online with the ISP that provides the address (error message about not allowing relaying)

No problem when using dial-up where I live,but using Freeserve in UK, Comcast in USA, satellite connection from home, or whatever I can get when I'm somewhere else, this poses a problem.

Okay, I could use my GMail address, but I prefer not to confuse my correspondents with different addresses (and too lazy to set up the others so they recipients "see" my primary address wherever it comes from)

Due to a different problem (cr@p internet connections some places that I go) I signed up a few years ago for an "Internet Acclelerator". I found that a side-effect of this software is that my ISP doesn't "see" outgoing emails - if you inspect the headers of mails from me, they appear to come from "smtp.turbodial.net". So in addition to speeding my emails, this also cured the SMTP problem! I can now send emails from my usual email address, however I am connnected.

Do a Google on Turbodial (or turbodial.net). I think I pay $25 or $50 a year for the service, but just the side-effect of the SMTP "hosting" is worth it when I am travelling.

(the accelleration feature is good too! I still leave it running when I am on broadband!!)

Keef
12th Aug 2006, 15:05
ExSimGuy has the right "generic" answer.

I have an account with Maglobe for when I'm globetrotting, and it has an authenticating SMTP server as part of the package. That account will work regardless of how I connect to the Internet.

The laptop also connects to the Broadband connection in the "main" and the "second" home - which use different ISPs. I've configured Thunderbird to show three different "sending" accounts: they all use the same "from" address, and put sent mail into the same "sent" folder, but they route via ISP1, ISP2, and Maglobe.

Unless the recipient bothers to examine the headers, they don't know which of the three I've used.

IO540
12th Aug 2006, 16:11
Freeserve is one of those crap ISPs who prevent people from changing the From: header.

This prevents the user from sending email with one From: header when sending a private email, and sending an email with a different From: header when e.g. writing to a business contact.

In this way, FS keep away the more heavy users. They probably also block the usual ports e.g. P2P etc.

However, the above is an entirely different issue to an ISP preventing you logging in to his SMTP server when connected via another ISP. That restriction is almost universal.