PDA

View Full Version : Where to next?

goater
8th Aug 2006, 04:04
I am currently working as an Ops Officer in the RAF but am thinking hard about getting out sooner rather than later.

Only thing is I'm a little bit institutionalised am am really not too sure what I want to do next.

As most of my professional experience is in aviation, something I am still interested in and very much enjoy, I want to get into the civilian side of things.

Question is, what do you think I would be best suited to?

I currently earn £35,000 pa.

I have trained as a navigator so have completed all of the RAF aircrew ground school sylabus ( probabaly useful for help get some sort of licence).

I have done the basic Jeppeson Jet Planner course and run plans regularly.

I dispatch Air Transport a/c globally all the time, understand the handleing requirements of various ac and am familiar with load/trim calculations etc.

I manage a busy 24 hr ops room when on shift.

Authorise the booking in of visiting a/c to my airfield.

Manage flying programmes

Ammend local proceedures and contingentcy plans etc.

Write reports on staff and am responsible for standards.

Hopefully this gives you a brief oversight of what I currently do day to day.

How do you think this would translate into a civilian role? I would also really appreaciate any advice on the best way of making this happen.

Are there entry level airport managers jobs about or do you have to work your way up from junior positions to fully understand company policy?

I have come across many different licencing agencies in my research so far. Can any one advise on which ones are best/compulsary for which fields.

Is it possible to start working for a civilian company as a dispatcher in a managerial role?

I am very sincere in asking for your advice and I really hope any one with any experiance in the business of aviation rather than her working for HMs airways can let me know what it's like in your world.

Cheers

no sig
8th Aug 2006, 12:37
goater

Read back over this forum's posts as there have been many in your situation asking the same question here. You have a wealth of experience which will see you into commercial aviation I have little doubt, the issue for you is at what level. My guess is you have an induction period into the airline world, but there is much you can do before your leave the RAF in study of our commerical regualtions and operating rules and regulations, such as JAR and EASA regs. You might also consider working in the NAV and Performance department most airlines have, few ex NAV available these days and finding those with suitable experience can be a problem. Good luck.

plans123
9th Aug 2006, 02:30
Goater,
If you are who I think you are - you've never been near my JetPlanner when on shift!!!::} :E :ok:

Expat abroad
13th Aug 2006, 01:05
Goater

All depends on which area you want to be involved with. Do you want to go into airport type management job, or work for an airline. First option is not my area, but second is. Also, are you prepared to move far, or stay in the london airport areas, as these things will affect your options.

Just so you know, I came from the same background, same airfields working with big jets before I decided to work for a living :). Now working as a flight dispatcher in the land of cheese and chocolate. There are ways to get the US licence if you have the relevent experience behind you, and get it paid for too.

If this is what you are interested in, let me know and I'll try and give more info, or PM me if you want. Oh, and get lots of time on Jetplan, it really helps.

Expat