PDA

View Full Version : Light Plane Crashes Into House - SW Bne

notmyC150v2
8th Aug 2006, 02:07
From today's SMH Website

Light plane crashes into house
August 8, 2006 - 11:57AM

A light plane has crashed into a house in Brisbane's south-west.

Police say the accident happened just after 11am (AEST) at Monier Road at Darra.

The plane was seen trailing blue smoke before crashing, a Queensland police spokeswoman said.

No-one was in the house - near the Canossa Private Hospital in Monier Road - at the time, an ambulance spokeswoman said.

The pilot was free of the wreckage and was being treated for smoke inhalation, she said.

AAP and smh.com.au

Lucky escape for the pilot if he is ok. Anyone got any further information?

WA-CEET
8th Aug 2006, 02:41
All i have heard is a pilot and young girl were injured in the crash

Buster Hyman
8th Aug 2006, 02:57
Lucky indeed! I only too well remember the night that aircraft crashed at MEB...:(

WA-CEET
8th Aug 2006, 03:00
Girl survives plane crash on home

August 08, 2006 12:32pm

Article from: AAP

A PILOT and a young girl were injured when a light plane crashed into a house in Brisbane today, police said.
Police said the accident happened just after 11am (AEST) today at Monier Road at south-west suburban Darra. A Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) spokeswoman said the plane, believed to be a Cessna, clipped power lines and hit the roof of the house before crashing into the backyard and bursting into flames.
She said the pilot managed to get free of the wreckage and had been taken to Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital suffering minor burns to his arms and legs as well as abrasions. His condition is stable.
It was initially thought the house was unoccupied but rescuers later found a young girl inside.
She had been struck by a piece of wood, the ambulance spokeswoman said, but there were no other details about her injuries.
The girl was expected to be taken to the Mater Children's Hospital for treatment.
The pilot had had a "remarkable escape," the ambulance spokeswoman said.
"He's a very lucky man," she said.
]

Barkly1992
8th Aug 2006, 05:32
I think it may be a bit more seroous - later reports are saying that they have put the pilot into an induced coma.

They don't do that just for minor burns.

notmyC150v2
8th Aug 2006, 05:45
It does indeed sound a bit more serious than originaly postulated.:sad:

Good luck to him and best wishes to his family. I hope for the best result possible.

edited 'cos I'm a goose.

NAMPS
8th Aug 2006, 06:05
Home sale crash: pilot saved
August 8, 2006 - 3:35PM

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/08/08/planecrashbrisbane_wideweb__470x299,0.jpg

A Brisbane man saved the life of a pilot whose plane crashed into his house, pulling him free of the burning wreckage, emergency crews said today.

In an extra twist, an agent from Harcourts Real Estate confirmed the house had only recently been sold.

Brett McDonald, 41, his wife, 36, and his 12-year-old daughter were inside their Darra home in Brisbane's south-west when the four-seater Cessna 182 slammed into the roof, exploded and landed in the backyard about 11.20am (AEST) today.

Mr McDonald pulled the pilot, believed to be in his 30s, from the burning wreckage.

"I first saw a big shadow coming over blocking the light coming in my window and I thought that's a pretty big shadow," Mr McDonald said.
"Then [I heard] a huge bang.

"I went out the back just to see if something fell on the roof and saw a plane in the backyard on fire, so I went around to the side to see if there was anyone in there, saw him and went around the other side and he was sort of trying to get his way out.

'I grabbed him and pulled him out'

"So I grabbed him and pulled him out of the plane and fire was sort of catching on his legs.

"As soon as I got him out it went up into more flames and then we got out of the area of the fire because I didn't know if it was going to blow up or what it was going to do."

Mr and Mrs McDonald escaped injury but their daughter received a minor wound to the head from the falling ceiling.

Mr McDonald said his wife and daughter, whom he did not want to name, were in the bathroom and kitchen at the time, while he was downstairs.

The house sustained substantial damage to its ceiling, kitchen and bathroom.

Oxley Police Superintendent Keith McDonald said the pilot suffered burns to his arms and legs as well as respiratory burns.

He said the pilot had been placed in an induced coma in Brisbane's Princess Alexandra Hospital.

He said the pilot had told doctors he had climbed to 1000 feet after take-off from nearby Archerfield Airport before experiencing engine problems.

'Extremely heroic'

He described Mr McDonald as "extremely heroic".

He said the plane was on fire at the time ... and his actions certainly saved the life of the pilot.

Queensland Ambulance Service Officer Ian Rizzoli said it was a miracle the pilot survived the crash.

"It's amazing when you see the debris in the backyard," he said.

"I'd say [it was] a miracle."

Mick Topp, 55, who lives only a few houses down from the crash site, said he was reading about 11.30am when he heard the plane crash.

'I just heard a bang'

"I just heard a bang. It sounded like a sheet of roofing might've blown off, or someone's garage door had blown away - it was just a metallic sort of a bang,'' he said.

"I thought I'd go out and see what had happened, I thought it might've been one of my sheets of roofing gone, and I saw people heading off down the street so I went down with them and saw the smoke.

"When I got down there I worked out it was the plane skimming across the roof of the house.''

Mr Topp said the plane had narrowly missed hitting the front of the house, skidding across the roof and smashing into the grass backyard only metres from the back wall of the house.

"It sort of went across the roof and then dropped into the backyard. The powerlines looked like they slowed it down," he said.

Plane caught fire

Mr Topp said he had been told it was the owner of the damaged house who had pulled the pilot from the wreckage, shortly before it burst into flames.

He said the plane caught fire shortly after impact - and after the pilot was pulled from the mangled wreckage.

"It was fairly black, oily smoke ... luckily it didn't burn the house.''

It was definitely a light plane, Mr Topp said.

"It was hard to recognise it was a plane. It was definitely a light plane. I don't think it was super light, it was definitely substantial.''

Source:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pilot-saved-by-home-owner/2006/08/08/1154802862084.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

notmyC150v2
8th Aug 2006, 06:30
This link has a photo of the tail from the wreckage. Anybody recognise the plane?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1709509.htm

Chimbu chuckles
8th Aug 2006, 07:20
Anyone else noticed how the media loves to repeat stuff over and over these days...it seems industry wide.

I grabbed him and pulled him out'

"So I grabbed him and pulled him out of the plane and fire was sort of catching on his legs.

And numerous other examples in the above media quotes. Why can't they just tell the story and use 1/2 the words...They seem to have more space to fill than facts alone can.:yuk:

Still I suppose they got the type right this time...but then if you call every aircraft that crashes a Cessna sooner or later you'll be right.:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
8th Aug 2006, 07:33
Ummm...Chimbu. If you follow the SMH link, they're just highlighted quotes that, when copied here, have not been removed.:ok:

Having said that...I hear what you're saying!;)

tobzalp
8th Aug 2006, 08:02
NCD. Good outcome.

puff
8th Aug 2006, 10:09
Definately a 182, a/c has apparently recently had a repaint. You can see from the photo that it has the 'new' logo's on it. From all accounts it was a very prestine 182.

Channel 9 here in Brisbane showed some home video footage of the aircraft overflying the area with a huge plume of white smoke pouring from the aircraft moments before it crashed. I'm sure the footage will greatly help the investigators.

I think the owner of the home was pretty accomodating considering the damage to his house, he basically said who cares the house can be repaired, my family and the pilot are alive thats what matters most.

All in a lucky man, hope he recovers ok

AnyGivenSunday99
8th Aug 2006, 10:13
i am lead to believe the rego may have been VH-WNH or VH-WNR, simply by increasing the size of the pic. I may be wrong, as there is a bit of damage and it's covered in foam. Lucky bugger to get out of there with his life. Let's all hope he makes a full recovery!

Jelli Been
8th Aug 2006, 10:32
ok, a Cessna 182, off to GA with this thread eh?

Desert Flower
8th Aug 2006, 11:11
i am lead to believe the rego may have been VH-WNH or VH-WNR,

VH-WNR as far as I can tell.

DF.

404 Titan
8th Aug 2006, 12:57
If it is WNR then it is a Hempls aircraft.

VH WNR
Power Driven Aeroplane with tricycle-fixed landing gear
Single Piston engine
Manufacturer: CESSNA AIRCRAFT COMPANY
Model: 182P
Serial number: 18265112
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 17 February 1977
Full Registration

Registration holder as of 19 April 2006
HAIRE, Jonathan
Hempels Aviation
Building 111, Archerfield Airport
ARCHERFIELD QLD 4108
AUSTRALIA

Registered operator as of 19 April 2006
HAIRE, Jonathan
Hempels Aviation
Building 111, Archerfield Airport
ARCHERFIELD QLD 4108
AUSTRALIA

captwawa
9th Aug 2006, 04:17
would explain why Barry Hempel was on CH9 news last night.. Bad news looked like a nice plane.. Apparently it just came outta of a service. With a fairly new engine. hope the pilot is well

Red777
15th Aug 2006, 01:01
John Haire, is a great guy, starting back flying in GA a/c about 2 months back at the flight school i attend before he left for YBAF to complete his training. Family said he is doing well and its such a shame as the a/c was freshly painted, new engine, interior and avionics.

All the best JH get better soon mate.