PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here tighter than I am?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
8th Aug 2006, 01:34
I went out for din dins the other week and had an eleven dollar Chicken Fried Steak at a place that's supposed to be good at it. When the bill came I said "I'll tell you what, I only want to give you five dollars for that chicken fried steak because to be perfectly honest, I've had better in the frozen foods section of the supermarket.".

The waiter fetched some higher up bloke and I explained the problem and he said "Well we're very sorry for that, so I've adjusted your bill for you. We have new guy and I don't think he's pressing the meat properly" :confused: (hint: It's Chicken Fried Steak, there is no pressing) Still six bucks saved on a meal that tasted like :yuk: and before you start in at me, I tipped on the full amount :ok:

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2006, 01:57
If you don't provide 'feed-back' the boss(es) will never know.
I've sought-out a relevant person for my comments (in BOTH) directions. When you get the opportunity to catch the cooking-staff and pass-on your comments (specifically complimentary) it's nice to see the reaction. I feel that they DESERVE to know when their work is appreciated. Likewise, the 'manager' is entitled to know why you won't be coming back.

I don't frequent the sort of places where the cooking staff have a better opinion of themselves than they deserve. I've been 'constructive' with some establishments (such as 'wonderful steak, but I won't be having a desert next time').

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
8th Aug 2006, 02:28
That reminds me of a time I was in a restaurant in New Orleans and two young men were walking past. They stopped, one of them opened the door, leaned in and shouted "The food tastes like dogshit" and then they left :confused:

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2006, 02:55
Nearly closing time. Chap runs into chip shop, breathless.
"Have you any chips left?"
"Yes, plenty."
"Serves you right for frying too many!" and left.

tony draper
8th Aug 2006, 03:09
Scotsman walks into the barbers and sit in the chair,
"How much forra hair cut jimmy"?
"Five shillings" says the barber,
"How much forra shave"?
"A shave? that would be a shilling jock" answers the Barber
"Here's a shilling,shave ma heed"
:rolleyes:

Old one's is the best:E

Buster Hyman
8th Aug 2006, 03:12
How tight was that last post? Wouldn't even update it to modern currency! That's tight that is!:D

tony draper
8th Aug 2006, 03:29
Yer could buy a lot more with a proper shilling than yer can with these new fangled five pence pieces, a pint of beer or ten Woodbines forra start, and if she had had a slow evening probably the services of a Lady of the night, admitedly just a short time though.

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2006, 03:33
What did yer get for a short time? Just a quickie?
Is there another option?

tony draper
8th Aug 2006, 03:42
There were but two options in my day
A short time, or All night, they were both more or less identical, after a short time one went back to one's ship, on a all night after a short time one tended to fall asleep.

Blacksheep
8th Aug 2006, 05:32
Sounds like The Merch is much like The Mob... :hmm:

An old girlfriend of mine bought a new jumper, paid for it with a five pound note and somehow got four pounds seven shillings in change. She kept the money. When she got home, she found a flaw in one sleeve, took the jumper back and accepted full refund. She was from Yorkshire, naturally.

Loose rivets
8th Aug 2006, 05:46
When a haircut went up to five bob, I told the barber to.........er, I made an excuse and went home and cut it meself. With a few exceptions, I have done this ever since.

Last night I tried one of those clippers with the spacers on them. One's appearance is beyond help so it doesn't matter much. Still, 30 years, at say and average cost of three quid...25 per year. That's 2250 quid. Plus automotive transport, say a total of 3,000...plus accumulated interest. That's er, quite a bit. Add to that all the extra time I had to spend in the pub and........oh, bugger! :uhoh:

Blacksheep
8th Aug 2006, 05:56
After my recent visit to UK and observing the other chaps at the wedding, I came to the conclusion that in UK everyone cuts their own hair these days. Or they get their wife to do it in the kitchen.

Edited to add -

Cut their hair that is...

Erwin Schroedinger
8th Aug 2006, 09:29
Is anyone here tighter than I am?
Depends upon what your preferred lubricant is.

Would you like to arrange an assessment? :E

Farmer 1
8th Aug 2006, 09:38
When I used to buy jelly babies, I always insisted on getting the little boy ones. You got just that little bit extra for your money.

A Yorkshireman? Moi?

tony draper
8th Aug 2006, 09:42
Think I told yers this before on a merchant ship the Chief Engineer was always the Barber.
Would have thought that in Oz with about five million sheep shearers barbers would have been superfluous Mr Blacksheep.
Nephews financy gave me my last haircut,one looked like the commandant of a Japanese prisoner of war camp thereafter,fortunatly it is growing back now,well in places anyway.

allan907
8th Aug 2006, 10:19
Just checked on the picture in Photos of Everybody Loose Rivets and I can see what you mean. Surprised they let you out on the streets but it's a good advert to get the services of a proper barber :p

terryJones
8th Aug 2006, 10:41
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
Pray tell why you tipped at all, if the meal was that [email protected]
I thought the idea of tipping was to show appreciation for service above and beyond the call of duty as it were.
I must be tighter than you evidently, having not tipped anyone(apart from the RAC man on boxing day) for years. They get paid for doing their job. I never received tips from my job, I can just imagine it; Here you are Mr.J, 10% of the huge bill your company has just charged us for training...

seacue
8th Aug 2006, 11:51
Mr. TJ,

Two flaws in your reasoning, at least as applied in North America.

1) One tips for wait-staff service, not for the food itself.

2) Wait-staff wages are set very low on the expectation that a large part of their income will come from tips. The income tax Feds go after waiters if they don't report a reasonable tip income.

["wait-staff", how PC can one get?]

Blacksheep
8th Aug 2006, 11:54
in Oz ??? Good job you weren't in navigation in your oceanic days tony - Borneo's a few hours flying time from Terra Australis Incognita. ;)

The few remaining Borneo jungle tribesmen here have odd haircuts - they're very fond of fringes at the front and mullets at the back. Rather than being tight-fisted, there's a practical reason for the DIY. Not that long ago Borneo "barbers" were renowned for taking a client's head off along with their hair. ... :eek:

frostbite
8th Aug 2006, 12:03
(such as 'wonderful steak, but I won't be having a desert next time').

There was sand in it?!

G-ZUZZ
8th Aug 2006, 16:03
Is anyone here tighter than I am?Since you need to ask then I'd say I suspect I am, by default. But then it's never been tested.

"Exit Only."

Seems a strange place to be making "that" sort of enquiries??

Davaar
8th Aug 2006, 17:04
QUOTE:
Is anyone here tighter than I am?
UNQUOTE

Supplementary question: Does anyone here want to be even as tight?

Krystal n chips
8th Aug 2006, 18:05
I would like to nominate the sterotype Yorkshire supermarket chain ( begins with "M" and ends with "s" ) who have now decided it's a grand idea to charge for the use of air at their garages !!!!!!:mad:

Not bad considering the sub-standard service, check-out staff chewing gum whilst they serve you, the "fresh" :rolleyes: produce with a shelf life of 1 day, the fact they have posted fk knows how many profit warnings, have technology that makes the abacus look advanced and now want to charge you for using air to inflate your tyres !!!!! :mad:

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2006, 18:08
That's inflation for you, Krystal!

airship
8th Aug 2006, 19:01
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! pretending to be a virgin again... ;)

green granite
8th Aug 2006, 19:38
I would like to nominate the sterotype Yorkshire supermarket chain ( begins with "M" and ends with "s" ) who have now decided it's a grand idea to charge for the use of air at their garages !!!!!!:mad:

Not bad considering the sub-standard service, check-out staff chewing gum whilst they serve you, the "fresh" :rolleyes: produce with a shelf life of 1 day, the fact they have posted fk knows how many profit warnings, have technology that makes the abacus look advanced and now want to charge you for using air to inflate your tyres !!!!! :mad:

and they ruined safeway as well:yuk:

frostbite
8th Aug 2006, 19:57
the "fresh" :rolleyes: produce with a shelf life of 1 day,

I thought that was just the prat in charge locally! (esp. bread)

Now I'm wondering if it's company policy.

SXB
8th Aug 2006, 19:57
My boss is the tightest person I know, a couple of years ago he bought a pair of skiis for one of his kids from a charity shop for 20. Nothing wrong with that you may say but he subsequently sold them to one of my kids for 35.

ExSimGuy
8th Aug 2006, 20:57
I get really annoyed at "service charge". When I'm in a hotel or restaurant,I expect "service" as a part of the deal!

Some years ago,I was in Cyprus (on business) and the hotel I stayed at had one day of the week designated as "staff day off", so at dinner it was a help-yourself-buffet. When the Maitre-D (the only member of staff visible at dinner) presented the bill to be signed, there was the "usual" 15% service charge added :mad:

Although the company was picking up the bill, this incensed me and I struck through the "service charge" on the bill and advised him that if the management had any problems with me not paying for "service" that I hadn't had, they could take it up with me. Nothing was ever said.

I don't like the American system of "automatic 20% tips" (or the bars where the bar-tender bills you for only half of what you have had but expects half of your savings as a "tip" - theft!)

Restaurant/Hotel/Bar Staff should be paid a decent wage (even if it means that the prices have to be a bit higher) and tips should be "voluntary" based on your appreciation of really good service, cooking,etc.

On a couple of occasions in the way-past, I have left tips in the form of a little note - "tip -try to watch your customers and not stand with your back to them talking among yourselves while we are waiting to be served" and I feel the waiters deserved just that sort of tip [/rant]

tony draper
8th Aug 2006, 21:10
One is not tight,one just loves money,the feel of the crisp note the jingle of coin,ergo one hates parting with it.
A perfectly natural reaction in one's humble opinion.

SXB
8th Aug 2006, 21:56
ExSimGuy

I'm with you on the service charge thing, I was in London a few weeks ago on business and treated my Father to dinner at the Red Fort (a particularly excellent indian restaurant in Soho) and I found the customary "discretionary" service charge added to the bill. I think it was 12.5% which is fairly hefty as the Red Fort is around 50 per head (sans alcool) On this occasion the service was very, very good but as is my habit I asked the waiter if he received the service charge and he said no, if I wanted to reward him then I would need to leave something extra. Needless to say I deleted the service charge from the bill and physically handed the waiter 10, the head waiter looked at me like I was some kind of criminal.....

I'm quite happy to tip when service is good but it will always be on my terms and not something which is just added to the bill as a hidden charge. As regards the American system of 20% this seems over the top, I normally leave 10% which in todays restaurants of 100 bills I think is fine, anymore than that I think the waiter is actually making more money than I do !

Loose rivets
9th Aug 2006, 05:09
My boss is the tightest person I know, a couple of years ago he bought a pair of skiis for one of his kids from a charity shop for 20. Nothing wrong with that you may say but he subsequently sold them to one of my kids for 35.

Hee Hee.... that's why he's a boss. But it must be tedious to go through life like that...er, it is, I do it all the time.:ooh:

Loose rivets
9th Aug 2006, 05:28
Just checked on the picture in Photos of Everybody Loose Rivets and I can see what you mean. Surprised they let you out on the streets but it's a good advert to get the services of a proper barber :p

Flippin' ek. I don't know where that came from. One was as near to 50 then, as one is to 70 now, so rather more grey showing.

I removed my pix some weeks ago and the young man on there wasn't me. When I pointed this out, J found this one from the motor-cycle thread I suppose. Oh to be young again.