PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the 900MHz for my cell phone to work in England?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Aug 2006, 17:59
bloody complicated :* It's time for a new phone and I was looking at two models. They both have 800, 1800 and 1900, but only one has 900 on it.

Do I need the extra band for it to work in England?

:ugh:

con-pilot
7th Aug 2006, 18:08
As far as I know Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! all you need is a "GSM" capable mobile phone. Any cell (mobile) phone provider should be able to install the GSM card.

Mine worked all over the world, including England.

The only problem is that with the GSM phone it does not have the area coverage here in the US as non-GSM phones, but you should not have any problems in Dallas with a GSM phone.

7th Aug 2006, 18:35
As long as your mobile phone operates on 1800, you will be okay in the UK.

Some of the phone companies work on 900 & 1800 ( 02 and Vodaphone) and some work on 1800 only ( orange and T-Mobile), but there are none that work on 900 only

Tinstaafl
7th Aug 2006, 18:43
The US GSM system uses 850 & 1900 MHz. Most carriers use both frequencies (er....maybe not T-Mobile USA. They might be 1900Mhz only). Not all frequencies covers all areas although there is often some overlap. Having a phone with both frequencies maximises your reception area.

Note: 850 MHz is sometimes referred to as 800 MHz. 800 isn't correct but some people call it that.

The rest of the world - that's not under US phone company influence - tends to 900 & 1800 MHz. Similarly to the US, some providers use both frequencies, others may only use one. Coverage for a particular frequency varies so using a provider who uses both frequencies will maximise your coverage area.

The trend in both regions seems to be towards using both available frequencies for the region.

You can get by with a tri-band phone however your reception area will be reduced *and* any beneficial roaming agreements with an out-of-your-home-region carrier won't be available if that carrier uses a frequency your phone doesn't have.

Best option is a quad-band with 850/900/1800/1900 MHz. That's what we've done. It's too much of a pain in the arse to not have needed frequency we've found.

Imagine having only 1900 MHz (or 850) at home.

colmac747
7th Aug 2006, 18:47
Do I need the 900MHz for my cell phone to work in England?
Wtf? This doesn't mean you're hitting these fair shores (UK, not just Engerlund;) ) soon, does it?!

:suspect:

Loose rivets
7th Aug 2006, 18:48
Looking the other way round, while in the UK I'm told that I need a 'Tri-band' to cover all eventuallities.

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2006, 18:54
The advantage of having 900Mhz and 1800 Mhz functionality is that it will work on all four UK GSM networks. If you are with Verizon, for example, you might get a better roaming rate if you use Vodafone when in the UK, but your phone will still work even if it is limited to T-Mobile and Orange.

If you were coming here lots you could always buy a UK pre-pay phone on arrival for not very much, which might work out cheaper over time. I've got some unused O2 pre-pay sims lying around. You can have one if you want, and put it into an unlocked phone.

Farrell
7th Aug 2006, 19:26
I think that poor chap just needs a straight yes or no.

What type of telephone do you have?

CUNIM
7th Aug 2006, 20:08
If you want to speak in the rest of the world - get a triband. Who the f""" uses 1900 mhz. Use the standard. GRRRRR

Capt.KAOS
7th Aug 2006, 20:19
The rest of the world - that's not under US phone company influence - tends to 900 & 1800 MHz. Japan doesn't support GSM either.

Buy a quad band GSM mobile phone and you're sure that you have coverage in all GSM areas.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Aug 2006, 21:33
thanks everyone looks like I'll be ok with the three band one (Motorola v360). I can get it for fifty bucks as opposed to the other one (Samsung t609) which'll run me $150.

I use T-Mobil btw. Jawohl!

con-pilot
7th Aug 2006, 23:13
When are you leaving and coming back?

Hopefully before football season.:E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Aug 2006, 23:32
Tomorrow (Tue) until the Thursday nine days hence.

gotta start a new job then :(

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
8th Aug 2006, 01:26
Well I opted for the expensive one with the 900 MHz band on it...

...but only after calling up T-Mobile and saying "hey I want this phone but I don't want to pay that price, what can you do for me?"

result: price reduced by $50 to $100

:ok:

Tinstaafl
8th Aug 2006, 04:19
You're quite right, Capt. KAOS. I should have said "...the rest of the world that uses GSM..."

Capt.KAOS
8th Aug 2006, 08:44
Well I opted for the expensive one with the 900 MHz band on it...

...but only after calling up T-Mobile and saying "hey I want this phone but I don't want to pay that price, what can you do for me?"

result: price reduced by $50 to $100

:ok:Simlock free or with a contract? These contract rates can kill ya.