PDA

View Full Version : Magnet factories/lorries.

eightyknots
7th Aug 2006, 16:55
Should we worry about them? :confused:

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2006, 17:28
What's the attraction?
Or are you repulsed?
Aren't the factories in a Magnet FIELD or are they poles apart?

G-ZUZZ
7th Aug 2006, 17:54
Magnet factories?

Are you suggesting magnets are fabricated? I thought magnetism occurred naturally?

HowlingWind
7th Aug 2006, 18:02
Are you suggesting the little thingies on my refrigerator came from a mine somewhere? :confused:

Standard Noise
7th Aug 2006, 18:14
Or are you talking about those over priced kitchen makers and their fleet of vehicles? :confused:

tilewood
7th Aug 2006, 18:28

Forgive me if I am missing something here, but what the hell is this
thread about?!! :hmm:

colmac747
7th Aug 2006, 18:31

Yes, truly a world evil - ranked along side terrorism:rolleyes:

Wtf?

reynoldsno1
7th Aug 2006, 20:41
Have we just found the cause or the cure for bipolar personality disorders....????? :ugh:

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2006, 20:46
http://www.magtech.com.hk/index_product.htm

BOFH
7th Aug 2006, 20:54
Now look what you've done - you've polarised the JB community.

I'll tesla something - we are pretty permeable, but this sort of behaviour is rare, Earth is a small planet, and it can only take so much lode. Stone the crows, I'll flux off now.

BOFH

Loose rivets
7th Aug 2006, 21:57
Have we just found the cause or the cure for bipolar personality disorders....????? :ugh:

Blast!!! you beat me to it. So, I'll just get onto my mono-pole and hop off.

con-pilot
7th Aug 2006, 23:11
Ah, but the real question is; Can a lorry leave a magnet factory?:uhoh:

eightyknots
8th Aug 2006, 00:47
What if you fly over a magnet factory?

Or overtake a magnet lorry?

How do they get the magnets out of the lorry?

And....yes....would the lorry be able to leave the factory?

:confused:

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2006, 00:50
Fatal attraction.

Buster Hyman
8th Aug 2006, 03:09
Is this about Magnet factories AND lorries...or, the Lorries FROM Magnet factories, because they are two entirely different aspects within the continuum.

Factories is an interesting word by the way. Originally invented in 1892 by a member of the Labour party as he was touring a sweat shop during the latter stages of the industrial revolution. Some say he just came out with the word and its stayed ever since, but others...who better understood his accent, believed it to be his opinion of his political opponents.

ORAC
8th Aug 2006, 06:57
Wot you got against fitted kitchen (http://www.magnet.co.uk/2006/) suppliers? :ooh:

Loose rivets
8th Aug 2006, 07:13
Factories is an interesting word by the way. Originally invented in 1892 by a member of the Labour party as he was touring a sweat shop during the latter stages of the industrial revolution. Some say he just came out with the word and its stayed ever since, but others...who better understood his accent, believed it to be his opinion of his political opponents.

Or was it because he was Mr Factory? :}

When one had a CAD company, I had just finished installing a system with the then new 21" colour monitor, into an old red-brick chapel that was the home of my customer's engineering company.

It was in a s#$t horrible little office which was so near the road that there were scratch-marks in the bricks. Suddenly the picture slipped sideways off the screen and then came back. Aaaagh. I had sold this 2,600 quid monitor as ‘the best in the world'. WTF?

Suddenly it did it again...and again, and I noticed it was when huge lorries came by. Didn't need to be a magnet lorry, just the steel was enough.

rotated
8th Aug 2006, 09:16
Ah, but the real question is; Can a lorry leave a magnet factory?

I am a bit surprised that all of you, my time wilted and addled-as-I fellow contributors, do not know the answer to this simple problem :eek: :8

When the magnets are manufactured they all move down the assembly front to back, therfore attracting one another and causing no problems. If, however, they were loaded onto the truck in this configuration their attractive force would no doubt prevent it's departure through attrition of tire rubber and bed bolts as the newly loaded magnets would be unable to part with their still factory-bound bretheren. :=

It is therefore a necessary part of the loading process to reverse the magnets as they are put on the truck, rotating them one-hundred and eighty degrees stem to stern; this will cause them to repel those at the plant. In fact, unless the parking brake of the truck is firmly set it is likely to bolt ahead under the influence of this repelling force. The transport companies are able to use this to their profit on the outward leg; depending on the size of truck and load involved, distances of several kilometers may sometimes be covered without even starting the engine.

So lorries can indeed leave the magnet factory, else what would be holding the beer list on the refrigerator:} :8 :ok:

Lon More
8th Aug 2006, 09:17
Just followed G-CPTN's link. Now I'm worried. are Magnets being given HGV's and driving around in new Trucks. Could be dangerous especially if they're sintered
Am I to assume, from rotated's post that the truck's arrival at a fridge-magnet factory would be spectacular?

Erwin Schroedinger
8th Aug 2006, 09:27
I reckon the lorry drivers would benefit from a more positive approach.

BlueDiamond
8th Aug 2006, 09:34
I'm staying neutral. :rolleyes:

Flying_bear
8th Aug 2006, 11:18
what about when the forklift has to unload them, does the box(if they transport them in boxes) stick to the the fork lift??:confused:

FB

eightyknots
8th Aug 2006, 11:46
Good point!

There must be someone, somewhere who works in a magnet factory and does a bit of flying at the weekend or something, who comes on here.

Where are you?! Stand up and be counted!

Blacksheep
8th Aug 2006, 12:45
When I were a lad, the magnet factory was in Tadcaster, magnet lorries belonged to John Smith and they were all carting his beer.

1DC
8th Aug 2006, 18:51
The magnet factory has two doors, one that attracts the lorries in and another that repells them out. As they are passing through someone loads them up with magnets.Magnets are loaded in pairs so that they attract each other and stick together. Magnet lorries are special and come in different sizes dependent upon the strength of the magnets they carry.The strong magnet lorries are strange vehicles, half bus and half lorry.They are like this because they have to carry enough strong blokes to pull the magnets apart when they are delivered.
I thought that everyone knew this...

airship
8th Aug 2006, 19:08
Were magnets ever classified as dangerous goods for air transportation? :ok:

green granite
8th Aug 2006, 19:33
I blame the Hall effect myself

ORAC
9th Aug 2006, 16:02
Much easier to ship them as monopoles and assemble them in pairs at the other end. :cool:

rugmuncher
9th Aug 2006, 16:16
Can the MODs make this a STICKY thread ?

:ouch:

woolyalan
9th Aug 2006, 16:38
to keep them apart during transit and at the other end it is imperitive that there is only one magnet per HGV :ok:

green granite
9th Aug 2006, 18:01
Ah, but the real question is; Can a lorry leave a magnet factory?

surely it depends if they are on a conveyor belt :}:E

Lon More
9th Aug 2006, 21:48
This certainly seems to be polarizing opinion

overstress
9th Aug 2006, 21:59
I think I was stuck behind some magnet-carrying HGVs on the M6 motorway the other day... at least, that's what I assumed the way they were glued to each other's tails...

matt_hooks
9th Aug 2006, 22:41
I can see this thread is attracting a lot of interest! I can't help but wonder if there is some sort of spin going on!

I thought everyone knew that the transportation of such goods was a rather sticky business? One has to feel for the ships which convey the magnets overseas. I've heard tell that in olden times a ship might sail round in circles for months on end following a northerly track!

Of course with the invention of Anti-magnetism (I assume a close relative of uncle magnetism and their twins elly and ron) all this is solved.

OK I'm all out of bad puns, next adherent please!