PDA

View Full Version : The effectiveness of government

HOGE
7th Aug 2006, 07:29
I see in today's news that the government have ideas about increasing the price of air travel, reducing speed limits on the motorway and increasing road taxes.

It got me thinking, has a government ever come up with an idea that (a) works, and (b) everyone actually thought was a good idea?

Nope, I can't think of one either.

Someone please prove me wrong.

7th Aug 2006, 07:45
It got me thinking, has a government ever come up with an idea that (a) works, and (b) everyone actually thought was a good idea?

Getting rid of Peter Mandleson might qualify!

BlueDiamond
7th Aug 2006, 08:07
Introduction of law-enforcement agencies. Compulsory education, free milk and free school meals. Laws protecting children against sexual assault and child labour ...

spork
7th Aug 2006, 08:13
Yes - but apart from the Introduction of law-enforcement agencies. Compulsory education, free milk and free school meals. Laws protecting children against sexual assault and child labour ... what have they ever done for us?

BlueDiamond
7th Aug 2006, 08:23
Built aqueducts? :E

HOGE
7th Aug 2006, 08:31
Ok I'll rephrase that.

Has any RECENT government come up with an idea that (a) works, and (b) everyone actually thought was a good idea?

Erwin Schroedinger
7th Aug 2006, 08:55
..has a government ever come up with an idea that (a) works, and (b) everyone actually thought was a good idea?

Yes.

Assuming that "everyone" means those in government.

Very good at looking after themselves, their bank balances, pensions etc, they are.

Otherwise, I wonder if they care if any of their ideas work or are thought of as a good idea.

......until two months before a General Election, when they just lie through their teeth in order to be re-elected.

BlueDiamond
7th Aug 2006, 09:02
What did yer move the bloody goal posts for, mate? You asked for someone to prove you wrong, I believe I did that, so you immediately change the parameters. This wasn't a genuine request to be "proved wrong" was it? ... just a thinly disguised excuse to get people whinging about politicians.

HOGE
7th Aug 2006, 09:09
"just a thinly disguised excuse to get people whinging about politicians."

Yep, and you saw right through my cunning plan!

BlueDiamond
7th Aug 2006, 09:40
;) ...................

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Aug 2006, 09:56
One doesn't require an excuse to whinge about politicians, Ms BD...

Barstewards:yuk: :*

heretic
7th Aug 2006, 10:33
You would prefer warlords then?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
7th Aug 2006, 13:32
...as opposed to warpoodles?

AcroChik
7th Aug 2006, 13:41
Government use of taxpayer money to support fundamental research in basic science. This has led to such things as understanding, on a molecular level, the operation of certain diseases and for the first time in human history has allowed medicine to actually cure illnesses as opposed to merely treating observable symptoms.

On the other hand, I'm pretty disenchanted overall with how the government invests my money.

Erwin Schroedinger
7th Aug 2006, 13:49
......for the first time in human history has allowed medicine to actually cure illnesses as opposed to merely treating observable symptoms.

......with a three year waiting list on the NHS. :rolleyes:

......by which time yer long dead/disabled by the long term effects of the disease/gone private (paid twice and transferred the research cash into the pocket of the private doctor).

airship
7th Aug 2006, 13:54
Wiiliam Pitt (the UK's chancellor of the exchequer) had the great idea of introducing an income tax in order to finance the war against Napoleon back in 1799. For some unexplained reason though, the tax remained even after Napoleon got what was coming to him... :confused:

So you see, you really should blame the French for everything...! :ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Aug 2006, 14:22
There comes a point when you have all the government you need. The problem with Governments, though, is that they see government as their purpose in life. As a consequence we get more and more government. What we probably seek is less government but with no hope of ever receiving it.