PDA

View Full Version : Did they over react????????

Liklik balus
7th Aug 2006, 04:44
It appears terrorists may have won be default or maybe over zealous, skittish crew should have thought more before reacting.

A Sydney/Tamworth flight was delayed yesterday when a Brazilian soccer player (part of a team) when asked "if everything is all right" replied in his native Portugese "si, bom" (yes, good). Well, did it hit the fan? The crew thought he said the 'B' word, the flight was evacuated, the Feds called and the flight delayed for over 30 mins before the passengers could be reboarded.

Why could commonsense not have prevailed and the crew asked a few more questions before going into panic mode? After all the aircraft was still on the ground. It seems to me that people tend to overreact in many of the "terrorist" style incidents. Perhaps further questioning of the passenger and or his group could have alleviated this situation.:hmm:

Aussie
7th Aug 2006, 06:07
I think these days they react and think later....

Aussie

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Aug 2006, 08:18
I think a greater cause for concern would be an NRL team boarding after a few drinks. Especially the Bulldogs.
...and it's FOOTBALL people... FOOTBALL.. not soccer.

UnderneathTheRadar
7th Aug 2006, 08:28
You call your team the "footyroos" and I'll start calling it football. Deal? ;)

airbusa330
7th Aug 2006, 08:48
''The crew thought he said the 'B' word, the flight was evacuated, the Feds called and the flight delayed for over 30 mins before the passengers could be reboarded.''

Given the level of intelect of australian women, it just might be impossible to establish anything first.
Tried using my kids buggy, and the reply was''this is an aeroplane mate where do you thing you are going with that''I did not have a problem with other carriers up to that point.
Its called customer service, begin with asking questions then so on.Something these highly uneducated, ''untravelled'' hosties prehaps ought to learn first.People skills, for eg.

Taildragger67
7th Aug 2006, 08:48
I think a greater cause for concern would be an NRL team boarding after a few drinks. Especially the Bulldogs.

"Soccer" differentiates it from the other four codes of 'football' played in Australia (including those big girls' blouses running around in helmets and shoulder pads (soooo '80s).

So as we commonly refer to the other main ones as 'union' and 'league', rather than refer to the round-ball game as 'association', I (and many other thinking types) will continue to refer to 'soccer', irrespective of what Mr O'Neill wants.

Next you'll be wanting us to start talking about 'airplanes'... :mad:

DutchRoll
7th Aug 2006, 09:08
I think these days they react and think later....
Aussie
I'm yet to be convinced that many security staff "think" at all.
Errr, and I'm terribly terribly sorry, but the term "soccer" is actually English in origin and was coined from slang (supposedly at Oxford) in the late 1800s, not long after the "Football Association" was formed. Like "Rugger" (Rugby Football), Association Football became "Asoccer" and therein the distinction between the intelligent, rich, thoughtful game, and the game for louts and actors began. The term became essentially disused in the early 20th century where it was generally referred to as just "Football".

Edit: Rugby League was then invented after the louts and actors evolved backwards into a more primative life form.

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Aug 2006, 09:31
:ok: I see you listen to New Radio DutchRoll

Chimbu chuckles
7th Aug 2006, 09:34
Well lets look at the list of people who have overreacted.

The Pollies told us not to panic and carry on as normal lest the terrorists win...and then totally succumbed to the security 'industry' that seized the post 911 adgenda and have made a fortune since.

Then there are the posters who have overeacted to someone's comment re football. FOR CHRIST SAKE...FOOTBALL, WHO FECKING CARES!!!

Then there is the FA who has been trained to react in the way she, no doubt, did. She or he have had this **** drummed into them by the aforementioned security 'industry'.

She no doubt mentioned her concerns to the captain...and he took it from there.

And yet some overreact and slag all and sundry including every Australia women's intellect.

Australia is becoming a police state controlled by fear, witness the signs all over asking the population to report 'suspicious behaviour', and populated entirely by anal retentive, small minded morons.

And you people fly aeroplanes for a living?

There!! Now you have got me overreacting.:mad:

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Aug 2006, 09:51
Well lets look at the list of people who have overreacted.

The Pollies told us not to panic and carry on as normal lest the terrorists win...and then totally succumbed to the security 'industry' that seized the post 911 adgenda and have made a fortune since.

Then there are the posters who have overeacted to someone's comment re football. FOR CHRIST SAKE...FOOTBALL, WHO FECKING CARES!!!

Then there is the FA who has been trained to react in the way she, no doubt, did. She or he have had this **** drummed into them by the aforementioned security 'industry'.

She no doubt mentioned her concerns to the captain...and he took it from there.

And yet some overreact and slag all and sundry including every Australia women's intellect.

Australia is becoming a police state controlled by fear, witness the signs all over asking the population to report 'suspicious behaviour', and populated entirely by anal retentive, small minded morons.

And you people fly aeroplanes for a living?

There!! Now you have got me overreacting.:mad:

Yes.. I agree Chimbu... Football... :E

Soccer!!!...sorry Chuck, couldn't help myself

Woomera

DutchRoll
7th Aug 2006, 09:55
Pfffffft!!

Hugh Jarse
7th Aug 2006, 09:58
Indeed Chuck. There are so many morons on this board.:ugh:

Yes, as somebody put it, let's ask more questions and be touchy-feely. It's only a miscommunication. After all, the cabin crew should KNOW how to speak Portuguese and KNOW that 'bom' means "good". In the mean time, what if there was a problem?

This discussion is the biggest case of hair splitting high wank factor I've ever seen. The crew erred on the side of safety and took what they believed the best course of action at the time to minimise the threat to the passengers.

Good on the crew for doing what they did:ok: Best decision under the circumstances.

As for soccer...Kick and giggle:} isn't it?

Lord Snot
7th Aug 2006, 10:22
Here's a possible scenario:

Some soccer player says, "Boom" or whatever and the hostie hears it.

In our modern workplace culture, she now feels she MUST report it to her superior (the capt) or risk disciplinary action, despite knowing the true security risk is virtually nil.

The capt is informed and is now officially responsible. Having been informed, he now feels he MUST take further action or risk being seen as complacent and have action taken against him.

Simple. But lacking in common sense. Not necessarily the crew's fault.

Spinnerhead
7th Aug 2006, 11:27
Call it what ever you like,

but it is played by soccerpoofs, not footballpoofs

Maybe thats why it is still called soccer.

Jet_A_Knight
7th Aug 2006, 12:38
When I used to play it, it was called WogBall:{

PS Any Francophones should take care with their greetings: BONjour, BONnuit, BONapetit etc etc etc:8

Taildragger67
7th Aug 2006, 14:39
"Good afternoon, punters and puntettes, today we'll be taking off and tracking overhead Bomaderry... woops, I've just said 'bom'... better report that to the captain... hang on, I am the captain... righto, everybody off while I report to the tower and self-flagellate for 15 minutes... "

Punter A to punter B after a heated exchange in the office: "Yes, Bloggs was getting a bit bombastic in that meeting, wasn't he, Jones?" Jones: "Miss, hostie, this man just said 'bom'"!!

Maybe the welcome should now become:
"Welcome aboard, ladies and gentlemen, now just sit there, shut up and keep quiet until we land in Los Angeles in fourteen hours". :oh:

But, just like my thoughts on the Gucci bag in HK incident - maybe the F/As have had their discretion beaten out of them in recent years.

Yep, maybe we've changed our behaviour such that the nasties have won...

Chimbu chuckles
7th Aug 2006, 16:14
maybe we've changed our behaviour such that the nasties have won...

It is certainly the case in 'the west'. In great chunks of the world they either don't know 911 happened or could care less.

It is essentially only North America, Australia/NZ and Europe that are worked up in a knot of tension over every little detail.

Australia is not the place I remember from my youth.:sad:

psycho joe
8th Aug 2006, 01:29
Australia is not the place I remember from my youth.

And I'll bet neither is Chimbu....

Taildragger67
8th Aug 2006, 13:59
Australia is not the place I remember from my youth.:sad:

Hear, hear.

GUARD
9th Aug 2006, 04:14
Great post Taildragger.

I think the crew had little choice although from my various security training days they seem to have you thinking you could be JUST THE ONE to avert a disaster.

I mean, FOR ****'S SAKE....What sort of conversation would you be having with a punter when you say "...is everything okay? " and he replies "..The Bomb..."

GUARD:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
9th Aug 2006, 04:16
It might start with a smile and "What Bomb would that be sir?":ok:

Bolty McBolt
9th Aug 2006, 06:57
Q Tu Da Bein

A Tu Da Bom

Translation

Q How are you going ??

A Pretty good thanks !!

Looks like Aussies don't travel like they used to, The phrase above is one of the first you learn when visiting Rio during Carnival.. :ok:

Hugh Jarse
9th Aug 2006, 09:46
Indeed Bolty:rolleyes: .

From the terms and conditions Qantaslink FA's receive, it's not a wonder they aren't as "well travelled" as their longhaul colleagues.

The answer is simple: They can't afford to travel. Conditions less than half what mainline cabin crew earn.:*

NEXT:ugh:

Taildragger67
9th Aug 2006, 11:49
OK, so what are the general thoughts on this:

Should we allow some sort of 'profiling'?

Let's say that some event involving Calithumpia and Upper Kumbukta West aggrieves the Calithumpian diaspora and certain elements of the Calithumpian community make it known that they wish harm upon Upper Kumbukta West, people therefrom, countries which are friendly towards Upper Kumbukta West and companies doing business with Upper Kumbukta West.

Hence we have a self-declared pool of potential trouble-makers, although clearly not all ethnic Calithumpians agree with what has been said by one of their number.

Would it not be logical to pay just a leeeetle more attention to Calithumpians getting on aeroplanes?