PDA

View Full Version : Which accent for which circumstance is most reassuring?

brockenspectre
6th Aug 2006, 22:08
One understands that a Scottish accent in financial services is considered most reassuring ... catching a clip of an emergency medicine show on TV it seemed to me the Oz doctor had a more reassuring accent than his American colleague ...but then maybe I am biased as my hound's vet is a way laid-back and professional cute Oz guy!! :E :E I love the accents of guys from the Carolinas and southern USA!!! Actually, if truth be told I am a sucker for chaps with voices that appeal :E

Anyway, my question is ... what accent do you find most reassuring and in what circumstance :ok: :E

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2006, 22:11
For politicians, the Revd Ian Paisley does it for me.

AcroChik
6th Aug 2006, 22:13
The most reassuring accent is spoken by those guys from New Joisey who say, Wassamaddawichyouz? Geddouddamyface! And, Fuggeddaboudit!

Seriously? To a lot of Americans it's what I think the folks in the UK call "Received Pronunciation," or BBC English. To us colonials, even lies have the ring of truth when told in that voice.

In real life, though, when the chips were on the table, the most reassuring voice I've ever heard was spoken by a black woman civil servant in Brooklyn during one very uncomfortable afternoon.

In medicine? It was the faintly German accented voice of the oncologist when he explained that the lump in my mother's breast wasn't malignant and easily treatable.

My dad had a slight Okie drawl, very smooth, lyrical, slow-spoken. Very soothing.

G-ZUZZ
6th Aug 2006, 22:17
Do you mean like the pilot with Chuck Yeager's Virginia hick voice who makes you feel alright as your death-plunge nears it's end?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
6th Aug 2006, 22:40
If I had to fight with them, then a Glaswegian accent would be very low on my list.

Anything Southern :E , but not Glaswegian

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2006, 22:47
Do you mean like the pilot with Chuck Yeager's Virginia hick voice who makes you feel alright as your death-plunge nears it's end?
Whatever happened to the ATP with the limp who did those 'relaxed' videos?

Military? Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf. I'd have obeyed HIS orders as he seemed to believe what he was saying.

AcroChik
6th Aug 2006, 22:51
Norman Schwarzkopf was born in New Joisey (vide supra).

Buster Hyman
6th Aug 2006, 23:12
I'd like to hear that British accent as my 747 flys through an ash cloud near Indonesia.

I was always a better learner when I was being taught by an Indian teacher. Something in that accent caught my attention like no other. ("Birdie num, num!")

My dealer has to be from Harlem, otherwise...it's just not the same.

But, if I was being alerted to the fact that a meteor was on its way to destroy the planet, it'd have to be an Aussie..."Well mate, we're phucked! But, she'll be right!":ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Aug 2006, 00:04
"This is your Captain speaking" in a Brummie accent would frighten the hell out of this Cheshire lad (lad; figure of speech and regardless of age).

tinpis
7th Aug 2006, 00:33
Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan

Incidentally did you know...

The gun used by Clint Eastwood in the filming of the movie was reportly not a .44 Magnum. According to legend, Smith & Wesson did not have a Model 29 in stock at the time one was requested for filming. Instead, they used a Smith & Wesson Model 57 in .41 Magnum

reynoldsno1
7th Aug 2006, 03:56
One understands .... a Scottish accent

but subtitles can help, especially in the Aberdeen area ......

Blacksheep
7th Aug 2006, 06:10
The advertising people swear that a soft Geordie accent is perceived as being the most honest and truthful.

There may be something in it - when did you last hear a Geordie MP spouting off on the television?

(On the other hand there was that T Dan Smith feller...)

Loose rivets
7th Aug 2006, 06:50
One has said it before, and I'll say it again....Americans are (nearly) all turning into ducks. WTF is going on?

For two generations, kids have been learning to throw their voices to the back of their throats....and then strangle them. It's amazing how the slightest inflection can be passed on to youngsters, but this habit is bizarre.

At some film awards or another, some vocally afflicted bird in a posh frock, stood in front of hundreds of people...and the nations viewers, and went..quack quack-quack, quack-quack-quack. I got this overwhelming urge to pluck her.:E

"It must be my hearing...it's and age thing, she just can't really sound that daft. Can she?" I said to no one in particular. Then on came the Rivetess' old school contemporary, Helen Mirren. Beautiful well spoken English, without affectation and uttered from the mouth, not tin-lined nose-holes.

One, on hearing the news in Ameriland. :ugh:

tilewood
7th Aug 2006, 08:20
Winston Churchill's voice in troubled times......I wish he was in charge now! :hmm:

AMF
7th Aug 2006, 09:03
I were in an airplane cockpit during a death-plunge.....the accent I'd like to hear is my own.

If I happened to be stuck in the cabin of an airplane during a Death-plunge and listening to a PA announcement advising us that such an event was occuring....Jimmy Stewart's. Not only is it reassuring in it's own right, but coincidentally, he was a helluva good and combat-tested pilot in real life, so I figure in good hands. Chances for survival are very good.

But if I were stuck in the cabin of an airplane during a Death-plunge, listening to the PA annoucement, the accent I'd NOT want to hear coming through it is that phony-baloney, over-practiced British accent that tries too hard to sound re-assuring and competent and high-born..you all know the one I mean..because the pilots up front had obviously spent far too much spare time in their careers up to that point trying to perfect how they sounded on the PA and radio, when what they SHOULD have been doing was working on improving their actual aviating skills, which subsequently might have prevented them from putting my a$$ in the infernal death-plunging situation in the first place. If I hear that British accent, I figure the odds for my survival are 5-3 against.

It's hardly worth mentioning but; Death-plunge + French accent on PA = My Doom. C'est la vie!

The Planet Killer Meteorite scenario?......I agree with Buster...Oz accent would be most reassuring. I'd almost include Kiwi as well since they'd also provide beer just like the Aussie, except they'd most likely just want to sit there admiring sheep and clutter up my last moments of life with some sort of anti-nuke rhetoric, or slagging-off Aussie rugby instead of helping me look for women who might have the same idea as me as to how to go out with a bang.

Financial services....gotta go with Brockenspectre's Scottish..it inspires confidence, unless we're talking one of those high interest loans to pay back gambling debts. Then it's NY-Italian, because I like the incentive of being confident I'll end up in the East River in pieces if I don't make the vig. I mean, can you imagine a shadowy figure in an alleyway coming to collect, and out of the darkness comes a....say....an Indian accent? Would you pay?

Doctors and invasive surgery....Midwestern USA. More specifically, Rochester Minnesota at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic. Moreover, I want to have so many pure and high quality drugs pumped into my system I wouldn't even notice (let alone care) if the scalpel was being wielded by Mickey Mouse himself and assisted by Ronald MacDonald, or worse, the whole team of Teletubbies.

Confronting an enemy during wartime and hearing the chatter from their trenches carrying from across no man's land...it would be most reassuring to note the chatter was chattering in Egyptian-arabic. Double the Reassurance Value if French advisors are among them. Triple the value if they are actually full-blown allies.

Being arrested and going to jail....no competition here.....a Canadian accent, complete with the polite RCMP manner, red uniforms, and a tidy, well-appointed cell. "Bad-behavior" treatment probably means being limited to 4 take-out pizza orders per week during conjugal visits with your wife/girfriend, and not being able to participate in the government-funded anger management therapy organized for the cellblock, having to content yourself watching taxpayer-pay-per-view movies during this "Time-out" instead.

If I'm up in a hot-air balloon that springs a leak, and we're out of ballast, and sinking into a volcano.....Kofi Annan, hands down. I don't even have to toss him out right away to lighten the load. I can just point out the injustice of our impending death to him, and he'll begin preaching how the U.S. is at fault by 1) not spending billions in Third World countries so locals can build and maintain a balloon industry that uses only sustainable jungle (oops..I mean.."rainforest") resource "technology" to develop a better rip-proof material made from spider webs for export to balloon-using Developed Nations, and 2) allowing volcanoes to happen in the first place. When the balloon rockets up from the sudden infusion of hot Kofi-gas, that'll be the moment to sacrifice him in thanks to the volcano-gods with an alley-oop over the side. It's only fitting, because that's probably what the aboriginal rainforest dwellers below, in a traditional rite of thanksgiving, would do. I know I'd be joyful and certainly "go native" in that situation.

Starving/freezing in the Arctic and see seals on the horizon....an Eskimo accent, cuz he/she'd know how to bag a few of those suckers using nothing more than twisted whale gut and a tern beak, and could whip up an igloo in no time. MacGyver of the North.

Freezing/starving in the Antarctic and see penguins on the horizon.....um.....Ok those Kiwis are nearby and will come in very handy now. Forget the penguins, bring the lamb chops, and I'll drink beer and talk about the All Blacks and those horrible nuclear-testing, Rainbow Warrior-sinking French all day!

henry crun
7th Aug 2006, 09:21
I got this overwhelming urge to pluck her.:E

Ahem,, I hope I heard right !

G-ZUZZ
7th Aug 2006, 17:14
It does seem difficult to define the sound of reassurance any better than:during wartime ....it would be most reassuring to note the chatter was chattering in Egyptian-arabic. Double the Reassurance Value if French advisors are among them.But if you want wisdom and deep philosophical truths, it's hard to beat a Chinese accent.

That Asian accent, by a female and in broken English, also goes for profound, ever-lasting and instantaneous love.

phnuff
7th Aug 2006, 17:20
I once worked for a company which had a number of call centres and therefor was very into accents. Their 'internal' take on them was

Scottish/Geordie/Welsh/Yorkshire = honest and trustworthy, encourage

Liverpool = dodgy - they actively avoided them

Southern/BBC = Smarmy - they actively avoided them in call centres, but was a must for internal management

Bristol/Westcountry = thick - avoid

THIS DOES NOT REPRESENT MY PERSONAL OPINIONS OK !!!

Lance Murdoch
7th Aug 2006, 17:25
Always thought the Deep South accent in an attractive girl sounds very sexy:)
Always liked the Scottish accent, I always seem to warm to a Scottish accent.
Most annoying accent is estuary English.
I have a Yorkshire accent btw

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2006, 17:40
Always liked the Scottish accent, I always seem to warm to a Scottish accent.
There's DOZENS of variations, from 'just north of Berwick', Edinburgh, Glasgow (all significantly different). Probably the 'best' is the soft Western Isles.

The actress that played 'Janet' in Dr Findlay's Notebook was in fact Barbara Mullen (an Irish lass born in Boston Ma);-
You might recall that famous exchange:-
Janet: "Och Dr Findlay, I've got such terrible heartburn!"
Dr Findlay: "Shut up Janet and take your tit out of the porridge"

tony draper
7th Aug 2006, 17:53
Hannibal Lektor had a nice southern accent,
"Hello Clarise",very reasuring.
:uhoh: :E

effortless
7th Aug 2006, 17:59
I flew with a broad brummie once. I coulodn't help sniggering whenever he said "Oi ev infamoition zolo".

McAero
7th Aug 2006, 20:49
Yep, 2 hands up for the Scottish accent. It can't just be coincidence that there's so many of us employed down in In-gur-land :p Need to improve the herd and all that ;)

lasernigel
7th Aug 2006, 20:57
Jasper Carrot did a skit years ago about what it would be like to wake up in hospital and have a Brummie brain surgeon say to you........"Weeeeellll I'm just goin to take the top of your head off and check your brain".Mmmmmmm
NOT reassuring!