PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Wireless Broadband

AerBabe
6th Aug 2006, 17:48
I've recently moved to a rented house - the only phone line is downstairs, my PC is upstairs. I'd like to go wireless, so I don't have the hazard of the modem cable stretching up the stairs, and so that I can use my laptop in the garden. :O (The BBC gardening website, of course).

My understanding is that I need a Wireless router to plug into the phone line, and a Wireless network card for each computer. Is that correct?

airborne_artist
6th Aug 2006, 17:57
You need an ADSL wireless router like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000TZ8Z8/026-3806110-7390047?v=glance&n=560798) and a network card or a USB network adaptor. The USB adaptors are less pretty, but can be re-used in a desktop PC, and you can use a USB cable to get better reception.

You might want to secure your network so your neighbours don't take advantage. Your new router's manual will tell you how.

jetcollie
6th Aug 2006, 20:19
Make sure you buy a wireless router+modem or 'all in one' device. The Netgear one above is a good choice but shop around for the best buy.

AerBabe
7th Aug 2006, 07:38
You might want to secure your network so your neighbours don't take advantage.

I suppose it's unofficerlike to take advantage of theirs? :O

Conan the Librarian
7th Aug 2006, 10:56
There are usually some offers which will give a free wireless adapter when you purchase the router. Have a look around.

Conan

AerBabe
7th Aug 2006, 11:03
Thanks for the help and advice. What kind of things should I be looking out for on routers and network adaptors? Any manufacturers to avoid completely?

FL460
7th Aug 2006, 11:13
Make sure you have router with a built in ADSL modem.
Based on a bit of research with friends and colleagues I would avoid Netgear and Belkin. Lynksys is the prefered supplier. Slightly more expensvie but worth it. I have the ADSL router WAG54GS.
Another tip is if you have decide what you want and have a pc world near you go to to website and usualy you can buy on line but pick up from the store. This can save you upto 25%
Bizarly they just go and get one off the shelf!!!
cheers

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2006, 12:37
I had a Belkin wireless router - and left it turned on for two years, as it's in the loft here. It died, and they sent me another FOC.

I've three USB adaptors, all by Netgear. Two have died, and I've been sent replacements FOC.

The issue on reliability is really one of the cost of the aggro and downtime when they fail. It's a given that such an item will fail, eventually. Since I work from home, and use the web all the time, the answer is to have a spare. I didn't have a spare router, and that cost me 1.5 days downtime. My fault :ouch:

Saab Dastard
7th Aug 2006, 18:00
My understanding is that I need a Wireless router to plug into the phone line

Only if the phone line is ADSL enabled!

ExSimGuy
10th Aug 2006, 19:51
Only if the phone line is ADSL enabled!
Good point! We tend to forget the obvious sometimes!!

Keef
12th Aug 2006, 15:17
That Netgear DG834G is a nice one-box solution, and most folks are very pleased with theirs. I've got one and it has an annoying fault. After six months, I've still not got any sense out of Netgear. They keep telling me to ring a number in California to discuss it, and then close my complaint when I tell them to phone me. Therefore, be careful!

I bought a Belkin one a couple of years ago for number one daughter, and it was a nightmare. It kept dropping and reconnecting - when I Googled it, I found this was a "known defect". But still they carried on selling them. So I have a "no Belkin active devices" policy (Belkin cables seem to be OK, so far).

Linksys is good - but a fair bit dearer.

Assuming you have broadband connected, I'd buy the Netgear (Amazon's price was the best when I got mine). If your laptop doesn't have built-in WiFi, then you'll also need a PCMCIA or USB Wireless adapter (802.11g is the way to go; about £10 to £15 on Ebay). If the Netgear doesn't work as it should, send it back for a replacement - NOT to be "repaired".

AerBabe
14th Aug 2006, 07:18
Thanks for the advice, Keef.
Unfortunately, although the phone line is ADSL enabled, I can't connect at the moment. Despite being with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for about five years with no problems, since we've moved house they've been bu66ering us about.
I can log on through their BT test name, but my account keeps being deactivated. Tech Support tell me it's a Customer Service issue, CS tell me to call Tech Support. :ugh:
I've given them until Friday to sort it or we walk away.

ormus55
14th Aug 2006, 10:25
reccommend the netgear834g. one of the packs comes complete with a wireless adapter. nothing else to buy.

ive installed all the others, many times, for different peeps, ie belkin and linksys, and both have given me lots of trouble.

netgear setup is quick and simple.
the range of the netgear is better too.

GroundBound
16th Aug 2006, 10:35
Aerbabe,

once you are connected, please, please, please, ensure you secure your WIFI. Very few people do - mostly because they don't know thay have to as it is not well explained, or it looks too difficult. Even the instruction booklet which came with my router failed to emphasize the NEED for securing the system - only gave (limited) instructions on how to do it.

Without securing your system, when using WIFI you are giving access to EVERYONE who is within tx/rx range. They can access your machine and do anything they wish to it, or with it. Even at the simplest level it means they may consume your ADSL bandwidth. Do not be seduced by the firewall on the router - that has nothing to do with WIFI - it protects your network from the Internet, yes, but the WIFI is on your network side.

I am amazed at the number of WIFI stations I can pick up and almost all are unsecured. I could do great damage - if so inclined!

There's good information on the security hazard and how to secure your WIFI system. Check around the Intenet - "practically networked" is a good source. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/080106_wireless2.htm

Once secured WIFI is great. Don't be put off - just take the correct precautions.

GB

(Edited to add link)

ormus55
16th Aug 2006, 19:15
the only quibble i have with the netgear was that the wifi was enabled by default. surely it should be disabled?
make sure you disable it to start with whilst you sort out all the other bits first.
then enable the wifi.
otherwise peeps can do untold damage whilst you are still setting the thing up.

ps. same goes for other makes/models too.

reverserunlocked
17th Aug 2006, 03:04
One thing to be aware of is that you can either have Windows look after your wireless connection or install the software for in my case the USB wireless dongle thingy. I ran into problems with mine because I hadn't got my head around this and eventually I screwed up my network connections to the point where the network folder was empty, despite being connected both wirelessly and via the USB to the router :eek: Only a fresh install of XP sorted it out.

If you go with the USB dongle route, just plug it in and let Windows do its thing, much easier.

Conan the Librarian
17th Aug 2006, 13:01
I like the Netgear approach of installing the router as a wireless setup. They recommend that you do it this way, presumably to bypass any network issues on the old ethernet side, such as the subsystem being disabled at BIOS level, or of a non computing type person being freaked out by the concept of having to identify anything more complex that a mains electrical plug. You do have the option of going the other way around should you wish though and I agree that it is unusual, at least compared to the other routers that I have installed.

Conan

AerBabe
17th Aug 2006, 15:23
I thought modern technology was meant to make things simpler... :\

Keygrip
18th Aug 2006, 00:37
AerBabe - I live near the Atlantic coastline in Florida - you've just moved further West...correct?

The man arrives tomorrow (Friday 18th) to connect my new cable high speed - so my current SDSL service will be unused.

If you can find a 4,000 mile waterproof cable (or a 2,000 mile stretchy spiral one) you can have the service for free.Would that help?

Just swim across with one end of the cable in your teeth (no need to bring a towel - I'll lend you one). Best I can offer at the moment - or could I just turn up the output of my wireless router in the attic?

I---I

IO540
18th Aug 2006, 07:22
WIFI is enabled by default on most routers these days. I installed a Linksys one for a friend the other day.

This of course is why I can go for a little drive down the road and pick up 86 access points of which 2/3 are wide open :)

Never has "doing dodgy things" on the internet (or just getting a free connection) been so easy....

AerBabe
18th Aug 2006, 07:36
Keygrip - I was looking for sensible help, not stupid suggestions.

You know I can't swim. :ugh:

ormus55
18th Aug 2006, 09:15
i installed a netgear 834g wireless router for a chap yesterday. he lived on a medium size housing estate.
the router picked up 6 connections right away and 5 of them were wide open!
:ugh:

AerBabe
21st Aug 2006, 07:46
This is the last of my problems now ...

Hard disk is claiming to be unformatted. :ugh:

Terry Jones - thank you thank you thank you thank you (again) for your help! Fingers crossed you managed to salvage something for me. :eek:

Spotting Bad Guys
21st Aug 2006, 13:44
I had a similar problem with a Hitachi HDD I had installed - it refused to boot up, coming up with a disk error. Hitachi provided a software widget (Drive Fitness Test) to fix it and recover most of the data, which you can download from their site if you have access to another computer, then run on a 1.44MB disk.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Hope this helps.
SBG

ormus55
21st Aug 2006, 14:39
the ultimate boot disk (see other thread) has drive fitness test software on it from all the main hdd manufacturers.

AerBabe
22nd Aug 2006, 08:54
Thanks guys! :ok: