PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix East Aviation

GR340
9th Feb 2001, 21:23
Does anybody know anything about Phoenix East Aviation in Daytona FLorida?
I'm thinking of going there this summer for my CPL/IR.
Any information regarding this school would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Jetheat
10th Feb 2001, 20:15
I wouldn't recommend that school. Quite disasterous. I would recommend Phil Air Flight Centre on the other side of the airport. PEA is also expensive for crap training.

NIMBUS
10th Feb 2001, 21:11
GR340,
Bring plenty of cash, and be prepared for a long, long, stay!
I signed up there for a 4 week PPL course.
6 weeks later I gave up and went somewhere else to finish.
While I was there, 1 English, 2 Irish, 1 Austrian, 1 Spanish, and 1 Italian also gave up in disgust, as well as quite a few Americans. The only one to actually get a licence was the Spanish guy, and that in itself is a really funny story! He threw a tantrum in the Chief Pilots office, and went back to the hotel in tears and called his Mother. She called the school, and he got his licence the next day in a 152. That evening, he was also checked out in a Warrior, Archer, Arrow, and 172.

The Italian is sueing. I WAS going to sue to get back an extra $1500 I was conned out of, but decided not to. There were 48 other suits already filed in the local court, as well as numerous others in different courts.

Personally, I would never go near them again.
Send me an e.mail and I'll give you all the gory details, if you want.

scroggs
10th Feb 2001, 22:03
Guys,
if you want to get specific about any reservations you have about ANY flight school, stick to personal e-mails. Don't post them here unless you also want to post your real name, the dates you attended the school, and the details of the incidents concerned. As this is an anonymous forum, the operators of Pprune are responsible for any libellous statements made here. Please respect our position and keep your public comments under control!

BlipOnTheRadar
16th Aug 2001, 20:25
Could any kindly soul out there tell me if Phoenix East Aviation (PEA) is still operating as a flight training establishment. I sent two e-mails in the past week and although their web site declares enquiries will be answered within 24 hours, I have yet to receive a reply to either.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated :)

Or does anyone know of a flight school/ acadamy in the States that is reputable and value for money.

Fly safely

BOTR

Shortscot
2nd Sep 2001, 00:39
I am looking at courses in Florida to ATP and was wondering if anyone has any information on Phoenix East Aviation? Professional training etc?

JB007
2nd Sep 2001, 12:07
Done alot of flying in the DAB area and have never heard anything bad from anyone about Phoenix East...

You'll have fun...
Check out 'Lollipops' if you get chance!!!! ;)

melissab
2nd Sep 2001, 19:21
I did my PPL with PEA about 7 years ago now. It was a good school if you got a good instructor, like many. However, since then I've heard some bad stuff about it, all rumours though. I'd suggest shopping around a bit as there are a lot of schools on offer in Florida.

Personally I'd recommend the school I taught at but it was in California and more expensive than East coast establishments.

Hope this helps. :)

Capone
23rd Oct 2001, 01:59
If anybody attended either of these schools or plans on attending them, what are your thoughts?
Thanks.

Lewy Boy
23rd Aug 2002, 17:49
Evening all,
Just wondering if anybody has had an experiences of Phoenix east aviation in daytona beach , Florida??? Im thinking of going to do the Full 2 year course there. Get your PPL,CPL, CFI,ME and teach for a year, come out with 1000hours for $26,000. Looks quite good from the paperwork sent through.
www.pea.com....check it out , c what u think!!!!

Stratocaster
25th Aug 2002, 09:38
To be perfectly honnest, I didn't even take a look at the website you mentioned. From what you say, they're trying to sell you exactly the same package as if 9/11 had not occured. But, as you may know, aviation in the USA is not the same: foreigners are not welcome anymore. Well, at least not like it used to be.

So if I were you, I wouldn't count too much on the CFI-part and the 700-800 hrs of instruction. Actually, in your position, I wouldn't even bother to get the licence. It's expensive and now more than ever you don't have ANY garantee that you'll be able to use it. There are lots of CFI-CFII out there, not enough students, and those who have the best chance to get a job are Americans. The European CFI-CFIIs I know came back on this side of the Atlantic many many months ago.

Sorry if I rain on your party, but be careful and NEVER EVER believe what flying schools are saying. They may tell you the truth 99% of the time, but when it comes to your future and your money, they tell you exactly what you want to hear, and they lead you exactly where they want you to be.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Aug 2002, 15:29
Stratocaster,

Not sure what experience you have had, but if you do everything by the rules, you can come over and do exactly what Lewy Boy wants to do.

When you come to the U.S.A. on one of these courses you need to be on a J-1 Visa. You will be able to complete all your F.A.A. Ratings and either instruct at Phoenix East or at any other Flight School in the U.S.A. until your J-1 Visa runs out. If you take a job at a flight school other than Phoenix East, you will need to keep in touch with Phoenix East at all times, since they are the ones sponsoring you while you are in the U.S.A., and give then monthly progress reports on your training (in this case amount and type of instruction given).

I currently have 7 instructors working for me who have J-1 Visas from other schools. They all trained for their F.A.A. Ratings after September 11th.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

Lewy Boy
26th Aug 2002, 14:05
I think thats a bit harsh strato....im currently dispatching at LGW and have been asking the flight deck themselves and they now say the FAA is the way to go becuase you without any doubt need hours under your belt before employers will even look at you. A JAR CPL/IR with 200 hours isnt what it used to be!!!!

Stratocaster
26th Aug 2002, 18:26
I don't have any problem with the FAA, the regs, the tougher immigration laws, the new security screenings, the hour building as CFI, etc.

But I do have a problem with the marketing techniques used by some flight schools (could it be the majority indeed ?). By telling potential customers "Hey, come over here, you'll get all the licences you can dream of, and you'll also build hours as CFI" the flight school lies. Nobody can garantee you anything (usually nobody really does) and the word "garantee" is carefully withdrawn from the flight schools' vocabulary. No matter what they say and how, at the end of the day it's right there in your brain cells "I'm going to make hundreds of hours as an instructor, cooool !". Maybe you will, but probably you won't. Especially now with an industry still recovering from 9/11 and a few other things that were already there before the attacks.

My previous message was just a warning to you, Lewi, just in case you didn't realize where you're going. Being a dispatcher in contact with the "real" airline world, you should be okay and know what is right, what is not, and what to expect for your money. Go get a few licences and some hours in the States, you'll probably enjoy it as much as I did. But be careful. If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't.

And, for the records, I'm not a CFI, and never wanted to be one. I was offered a CFI job last autumn (provided I did the course with the flight school, of course) but was well inspired to turn down the offer. 90% of my friends who were CFI/CFII or on their way to become one at that time left the country months ago, some of them even changed their mind and never took the CFI course.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Aug 2002, 19:17
Stratocaster,

You did bring up an excellent point. How can any school guarantee you a licence, rating or job without meeting you and doing a full assessment of your abilities.

I currently have a 17 year old, and a 60 year old training for a PPL. It is impossible to make guarantees to people that have such differences in abilities, range of knowledge and experience.

Everyone is different. There are areas which one person could pick up immediately while another would have difficulty and other areas where the first person has difficulties and the second picks it up immediately.

Look for the school that tells you the truth, not just what you want to hear.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

Stratocaster
26th Aug 2002, 20:17
Sorry for busting the copyrights, but I thought the following piece of information really deserved to be here...

"Flight Schools Still Suffer

Flight school operators say tougher rules are sending foreign student pilots to other countries to get training. Rudi Dekkers, of Huffman Aviation in Venice, Fla., told the Associated Press his business hasn't recovered since 9/11 inspired a crush of regulations aimed at weeding out terrorists. Many of those involved in the 9/11 attacks took training at U.S. flight schools. Huffman Aviation trained two of them and Dekkers closed his Naples, Fla., flight school in December because he had no students. Where he normally had about 20 foreign students at any one time before 9/11, he now has just one. The stigma of that association is also hurting other companies that provided training. The terrorists also took lessons in Arizona and Minnesota. It's not just foreign business that was affected by the new rules. Pan Am International Flight Academy invested heavily in three commercial airliner simulators at its Minneapolis facility only to have a big chunk of its market stripped away by regulations banning inexperienced pilots from taking a whirl in one of those machines. Zacarious Moussaoui, the alleged "20th hijacker," was training at the school before an instructor got suspicious and tipped the FBI. AOPA spokesman Warren Morningstar said it's "unfortunate" that foreign students are being discouraged from training in the U.S. as "... the vast majority of people who come to the United States for flight training aren't terrorists." But it doesn't take much of a minority to cause some real problems, as we all now know."

(Outrageously stolen from AvWeb.com's newletter)

Facts Not Fiction Pls
26th Aug 2002, 23:56
Hmmmmm...... did anyone ever tell you the press does not always report the real events as their source can obscure things!

I get really frustrated when schools blame the hideous act of 11th September for their business failure. I know one school that closed down one week prior to this fateful day and was then on the news stating that they had closed down due to the disaster.

Dekkers other flight school, Ambassador, had a deal with SFT. Now although SFT say they closed due to the disaster many would question this as it happened so quickly after 11/9. Whatever the reason, they went under, they did not pay Ambassador and therefore hurt them. However, a school that is prospering does not close for the sort of money we are talking about. There has to be other ingredients.

What 11/9 did was weed out the schools that were living a little close to the wire. I have spoken to a number of schools that have never had it so good than at the moment. There are those that are struggling and will put some of the blame on 11/9, however, the majority blame it on a number of things as well.

Mr. Dekkers could not have known that the students at his school were the individuals plannning the heinous acts and therefore no one would blame him. However, how many times did he go on the news to talk about it? Surely this was not the advertising that would help his schools!:rolleyes: Especially when he publicly ridiculed the INS system. I think perhaps this did not help his cause!

N380UA
27th Aug 2002, 07:18
In trying to answer your original question, I can say that Phoenix East is your standard FBO. They work together with the PanAm Flight Academy and Sunrise Aviation of Daytona Beach if memory serves me right. I personally trained next door at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
As for experiences I’ve had with them I can say that, as the DAB airspace is rather crowded, some difficulties were had with poor English language from some of their students, resulting in some confusion at times. Other then that, as a flight school, I’d say go for it.
In so much as the post 9/11 foreign flight student’s legal matters are concerned I have following advise; Look into flight schools in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and as far as I know even the UAE for that matter. They’re just about as expansive and offer a similar well balanced training as the US of A. The reason for that advise, is not that I have any doubts to the comments made by "Naples Air Center, Inc.", but rather because of the news that have made the rounds lately about the paranoid actions and reactions by the authorities. Further, should Bush indeed lunch an attack on the Iraq soon, the situation may turn to the worse for foreign students.
As a foreign student, I have felt the US (at least in Florida) to be a police state, no offences intended, but never leave your flat without a picture ID. I can’t imagine how much daily hassles foreigners receive nowadays.
Anyway, be sure that you know all the facts, training, legal and otherwise, such as what to do and how to do upon your return to Europe before you pack you suitcase.
Al the best to you and happy flying.

Trini_Pilot
5th May 2004, 04:44
Hey guys & ladies

I currently got my Private Pilot Licence in Trinidad and I will like to head out to the US to get my Commercial License with IR andMulti-Engine. I heard about Phoenix East Avaition Inc. and I would to know how many of you all out there know this school?

I would like to get a review on the school from anyone who knows or who have attended there?

I heard that there are a very good school and I see that there are offering some pretty reasonable Specials.

Is it as really good as they claim?:hmm: Let me know. I would really like to know before I spend my money.

Thanks alot for your co-operation guys (& Ladies) :ok:

Trini_Pilot

B737NG
5th May 2004, 05:58
Do you mean the one who is located at Dear Valley Airport in
Phoenix AZ?. I hope not. If they are somehow connected with
WestWind AV then you better follow somebody`s recommedation
to somewhere else. I had a Dutch guy who was there for a while
and he told me scary stories of the kind of customer care they do.

NG

Trini_Pilot
5th May 2004, 14:58
Hey guys,

Thanks alot for your replies. This school is't located in AZ. It's in Daytona Beach, FL.

The site is Pheonix East Aviation, Inc. (http://www.pea.com)

It just got the name Pheonix but is no where there.

Do anyone know this school and can you recommend it?

Hoping to get some replies.

Trini_Pilot :ok:

eaglejet
6th May 2004, 20:52
Hi Trini,

I did my training at PEA. They have reasonnable prices but be sure that you will always have to pay more hours than what is planned in the training syllabus ( don't forget that they are here to make money....).

As far as the management the Chief Pilot is a former Saudia Pilot and is only interested in making money. The Assistant Chief pilot is an asshole, a 40 years old guy frustrated for not having an airline job.

For the CFIs it's like everywhere, you got good one and bad ones.

I would recommend you to go there if you don't have any other feedbacks from other schools. They are not better or worse than any other flight schools.

Hope this helps

shortscot2
26th May 2004, 22:42
hi there

I have completed all my licences at PEA and really don't have many complaints. The prices are based on mimimum requirements just like any other school and I would always price over. There prices are not too bad but the planes are old but are very well maintained. They are currently building their 172's up and have several SP models R models all of which are equipped with GPS.

As far as flight instructors go there are good and bad instructors everywhere but they have no objection to you changing if you do have any problems.

My general experiences have been good and have found the majority of people friendly

Good luck in your search

MikeK
28th May 2004, 19:46
Right up front, I am an admissions officer for Phoenix East. I think "eaglejet" made some comments that need addressing. First, we really care for our students and if you come and speak to people here (Americans, Brits, whatever) I think you will find they are quite happy. That is the only way to really find out about any flight school.

The Chief Pilot is an ex 747 driver, and FAA examiner, and a very experienced aviator. He is willing to help anyone who asks for help and has arranged for many advantages for our students, like a 50 hour Part 141 Commercial Course. If he is so interested in only making money, why would he institute a course that saves our students 70 hours of flight time over any other school?

We have our own professional mechanics and several new to 2 year old 172 SP's. They are in great condition, and will remain that way.

If you have any issue here, just come and see me and I will make very sure it is taken care of. That's a personal promise, and I personally guarantee that we deliver what we promise.

As to extra hours, we sell only the minimum number of hours to get each license or rating. We know you will need more hours and we recommend up front, that you add about 15% to the price of any course or program. Any school that does not do that is misleading you. Would you rather we add a lot of extra hours that you might not need?

Wherever you choose to go, good luck. If you want an honest assessment, visit the school and talk to current students without any staff members around. That's how to find out what really goes on. Cheap shots on the internet, particualrly where people will not identify themselves, is hardly the place to look for truthful input.

speedbird1701
27th Jun 2004, 22:21
Hi Trini Pilot
I have just recently compleated my private training at pheonix east. I have found the staff to be friendly and supportive, (I had an issue with a check pilot there and it was handled very professionally). As for the prices of courses, well of course they are going to quote the minimum requirement ,.....doesnt everyone? The school has a large number of international students (I am one) and I have found the student support there to be outstanding. Like any other training/learning envoirnment it is really up to the student to make the most of it themselves, after all we are not kids anymore. There are of course good instructors and not so good instructors, but there is no problem with changing an instructor if an issue develops, of a matter of fact it is recommended by the admissions staff in the event.
In short I have been here for three months now and find the school an excellent envoirnment to learn. If you have any other more specific questions feel free to post another question to me directly and I will be more then happy to oblige.
If you read the negative feedback posted...............well all I can say is, .................. everybody is going to get on with everybody are they?

MystiCKal
5th Aug 2004, 16:45
Anyone have any info about it? I heard it's been running for some 30 years and that their aircrafts are OLD but well maintained... Anyone want to reinforce that?

mike halls
5th Aug 2004, 17:02
Hi,

I know they a resonable fleet with a few new 172sp's

But a lot of there aircraft are old but i don't agree with the
WELL maintained.You really get what you pay for with them.
There prices are higher than a lot of the other schools.

Safe flying all

mike

MystiCKal
7th Aug 2004, 14:16
anyone else who wants to shed some light on this matter?

MystiCKal
18th Aug 2004, 22:07
I got this email from an admissions officer at PEA....

CK, I don't know who these people are, but I have my suspicions. We have a
small "competitor" that may be making some of these posts.

Personally I don't believe anything that anyone says who is afraid to use his
name. You can adopt that philosophy or not, but I find it works.

Second, and I would really ask you to POST THIS ENTIRE EMAIL ON THE WEB SITE
FOR ME. I challenge ANYONE to find one person that will give their name, who can
say I EVER lied to them about ANYTHING . My name is Mike Kolendo and I am an
Admissions Officer at Phoenix East. I don't lie to people, and never will, to
get them to come to school. If you come and tour the school you are welcome to
walk around and talk to anyone you want. If you find someone that says I lied
to them, I will pay for your trip. I has never happened. Now, some of you with
big mouths, what will you pay to me if you can't find anyone? There's your
challenge. Does anyone have the manhood (sorry ladies) to accept the challenge,
or even give their real name?

Third, I have a little over 2,000 flight hours, have owned a Citabria 7KCAB, a
Cherokee 6 and a Pitts S1. Some years ago I flew competition aerobatics (only
in the sportsmans class.) Was I a professional pilot? No way. But I do have a
license that is over 25 years old and can probably answer a lot of questions
about flying that those making unfounded accusations can not.

It is really a shame that people put so much stock in these anonymous forums.
If you come to Phoenix East and see for yourself, you will find a nice place
that cares about its students, tries to help you every step of the way, has good
prices and MOST IMPORTANT, gets real airline jobs for its graduates. In a very
recent 90 day period we got jobs for 22 of our 50 instructors with (I think I
remember correctly) 7 different airlines.

Come and speak to students at Phoenix. Talk to those that you know are actually
going through the training. Sure, some may have a compaint or two. Find a
flight school that doesn't have any students with complaints. What you will
find is some happy people, working hard but also enjoying Daytona Beach, who are
generally very glad they chose Phoenix East Aviation.

Of course we are not perfect, but we are a bunch of people that love aviation
who are trying to support our families by offering a good education at a more
than fair price. Our students leave as friends, and return to visit often.
Read the unsolicited letter on our web site from a recent graduate; Jason
Prestigiacomo who now flies for United Express. No school lasts over 32 years
by treating people the way these accusations say they are treated.

If no one wants to challenge me, WITH A REAL NAME AND ADDRESS ONLY, don't
believe the nonsense you are reading here. Any questions? [email protected]

PLEASE POST THIS, CK. And if you want to beleive anonymous nonsense where
people don't even have the nerve to use their own names, go ahead. There's
nothing further I can do to change your mind. I made you a personal promise
that I would look after you. I can't do any more than that. In return I ask
you to put this on Pprune, or whatever it's called.

Mike Kolendo
Phoenix East Aviation

PicMas
27th Aug 2004, 21:42
So...

One of the admissions officers is a pilot, how about the rest.

How about the chief pilot? What's he like? Quite an enjoyable fella'

planetwise
18th Sep 2005, 12:32
Has anyone heard of Phoenix East? Is it a good school? Do you think I should get my license there? Which course do recommend?

Farrell
18th Sep 2005, 12:34
Easy tiger......!!

Think about your options and the questions you want to ask, and then write them all into one post.

And check your Private Messages

Farrell

boon99
21st Dec 2005, 21:03
Have anyone attended in Phoenix East Flight training school in daytona, Florida? I read about it that they would give the credit courses that we took toward a bachelor degree ( credits that is transferable to some university). Is it true though?

stasis
20th Jan 2006, 12:59
Hi,

Just getting towards the end of my PPL(A) and looking to build some hours.
A mate of mine is willing to come along for the ride and share some costs (accommodation etc) and he really wants to go to Phoenix, Arizona. No idea why there in particular... Looks like a good place to fly around though, presumably could go up to the Grand Canyon and possibly across to Vegas too?
Anyhow, I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this or something close and any suggestions of places to rent from. I have had a little search but didn't come up with a fat lot.

Just editing to add another thought. It's cheaper to fly from UK to Las Vegas. Is it worth looking to rent from somewhere in Vegas and fly to Phoenix and around?

Cheers...

llesson
20th Jan 2006, 13:40
I did 100hrs at Chandler AZ, just south of Phoenix. Used Chandler Air Services where I got a piper warrior for $64. Plenty of places to visit when there, i.e Las Vegas, Tuscon, San Diego, Los Angeles and even New Mexico. I went in the summer when it is unbelievably hot but thats when its the cheapest for accommodation. Any questions just PM me.

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2006, 14:34
I also did around 100 hours at Chandler Air Services - not the cheapest around, but IMHO the best, especially if you want to do any hour-building on tail-draggers (which I highly recommend). Bear in mind that all my information might be 4 years out of date.

As for Grand Canyon, do what I did and land at Grand Canyon airport, then walk across the airport to get into a tourist helicoptor across the canyon because they are allowed to go places you're not. There are a couple of GA lanes across the top of the canyon, though, and with hindsight I should have flown across the canyon too.

Another good day trip is Tucson (land, watch everything from F18s to A320s land too, get a follow-me to guide you to your parking space and then give you a ride to the executive terminal - all for the grand price of nothing, then get a cab to the Air and Space Museum), or Sedona (get in touch with a company called Pink Jeep Tours for a great day out - they'll pick you up from the airport).

For longer trips, try Las Vegas (I flew into North Las Vegas airport, which was fine, but with hindsight I wish I'd flown into the international airport), or Los Angeles as llesson says.

FFF
----------------

Elixir
20th Jan 2006, 15:49
Chandler Air Services were fantastic - good aircraft rates and very helpful, friendly staff. Good range of aircraft - from what I remember Warriors, Archers, Arrows, Cub plus Great Lakes and Pitts if you want to do any aero's.

Some great flying around that area too! Probably best to go between Jan and April for the best weather before it gets too hot in June/July/Aug and a bit rainy Aug/Sept.

I stayed in Mesa/Chandler and was pretty cheap - sorry cant remember names of anywhere though.

7E7Flyer
21st Jan 2006, 19:25
I know this has probably been covered before, but as you all know the old threads aren't accessible at the moment :bored:
I'm looking for information about this school in Florida. They seem to offer quite interesting rates and employment opportunities as an instructor (J-1 visa). www.pea.com
Could anybody give their experiences with that school?
thanx

kerrinator
29th Jan 2006, 20:26
I've just registered on this forum, because I wanted to warn you about this school; stay well clear of them.
I started in P.E.A. about 4 years ago, and they are absolute cowboys! I left even before i finished my ppl. be very carefull about goign to this school.

razzele
29th Jan 2006, 22:38
Have you had a look at: -

http://www.aribenaviator.com/

They do FAA and JAA training in florida at St Lucie county Airport (KFPR)

Good luck in your choice

7E7Flyer
30th Jan 2006, 05:21
Thanks for ur replies folks... I've had a look into ariben as well, it seems to be a good deal for getting heaps of multi time but I got a couple of warnings about that place. What's exactly bad about PEA, any details of what went wrong? would be greatly appreciated...
cheers
7E7

dimitrispa31
30th Jan 2006, 20:42
I just wanna tell you that i am a former student of PEA,i have to say that they are really great,they have veru good cfi,they teach you well and its true that you can take J1 visa and work for them as a paid instructor until you gain your FAA ATP.This school is awsome for me,an other good thing about this school is that most of the greek guys i know who were there now fly for Olympic and Aegean,few weeks ago actually aegean hired 15 people,8 of them had both FAA and JAA licences and the other 7 only JAA,4 guys were from PEA,aegean put 5 more people on holding pool until June,i am the second of these 5,PEA student too,the third guy was a CFI for PEA!!!!!!So,for us Greeks,it worked well!!

Safetyinspector
3rd Feb 2006, 14:58
I just got the following information:
Wreckage of missing training plane found near Buckeye
11:48 AM Mountain Standard Time on Thursday, February 2, 2006
Staff and wire reports
A Maricopa County sheriff's crew has discovered the wreckage of a small plane in a remote desert area south of Buckeye. The crew was out searching for an overdue plane.
http://www.jochensweb.gmxhome.de/Bilder/20060202_foundplane.jpg
3TV
Sheriff's crews discovered the wreckage early this morning.
According to Lt. Paul Chagolla of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department, the crashed plane is a Beechcraft Bonanza.
Lufthansa, a German airline with a pilot-training facility in Goodyear, confirmed that the plane was theirs. Only the pilot, a 22-year-old woman, was aboard, Lufthansa officials said.
The airline called the sheriff's office at 6:30 yesterday evening to report that the plane was overdue.
The sheriff's team spotted the wreckage at about 12:30 this morning. They said there was no sign that the pilot survived.
Crews waited until the sun came up to drive out to the crash site.

KrazyKraut
3rd Feb 2006, 15:19
Very sad news. Condolences to those affected.

Intercockpit's an excellent FTO with an excellent record.

:( KK

320DRIVER
3rd Feb 2006, 15:56
As an ATCA graduate from the 90s, I remember those lovely yellow Bonanzas which were a joy to fly. Following is the FAA Prelim.

Condolences to all.

320Driver

************************************************************ ********************
** Report created 2/3/2006 Record 1 **
************************************************************ ********************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 1563A Make/Model: BE33 Description: 33 Debonair, Bonanza (E-24)
Date: 02/01/2006 Time: 2200

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
ACFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, WAS THE SUBJECT OF AN ALERT
NOTICE, THE ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY INJURED AND THE WRECKAGE WAS
LOCATED IN MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN 40 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PHOENIX, AZ

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: CLEAR

OTHER DATA

Departed: GOODYEAR, AZ Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: BUCKEYE, AZ Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ (WP07) Entry date: 02/02/2006

Nerik
3rd Feb 2006, 16:07
Yeah. Flew that very same plane in 94/95. Very sad indeed. RIP

Safetyinspector
3rd Feb 2006, 21:35
... you can the what the news in PHX say about it:
http://www.azfamily.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.azfamily.com/20060202_midday.wmv

-IBLB-
3rd Feb 2006, 22:06
Another very sad event. My condoleances to her family, friends and everyone involved.

I too flew that plane a long time ago.

G.Q.
3rd Feb 2006, 22:25
Not the kind of news you want to hear when you're doing flighttraining yourself in Scottsdale... Condoleances to the relatives.

Flopsie
3rd Feb 2006, 23:25
Very sad news. Condolences to those affected.
Intercockpit's an excellent FTO with an excellent record.
:( KK

This is nothing to do with Intercockpit - this was an aircraft from the Lufthansa Flight Training School Bremen

DonLeslie
4th Feb 2006, 12:28
I'm deeply moved and saddened by this tragedy. My condolences to her family, friends and classmates.

Most of us ATCA graduates will always remember our time at GYR as the time of our lives. For this class, however, that memory will be tainted with this terrible accident throughout their professional lives. Very sad indeed.

hart744
4th Feb 2006, 15:45
I echo the sentiments expressed by many colleagues here. I don't remember LH ever losing a pilot trainee in an accident.

Uh-oh
5th Feb 2006, 09:56
Any news on the likely cause of this accident?

wingmaaan
6th Feb 2006, 21:56
my prayers go to her family, her classmates and her friends...sad,very very sad...

Flew the BE33 in ´97

R.I.P

stefair
7th Feb 2006, 20:45
Am about to solo myself soon too and this tragic accident makes me wonder... There's nothing more exciting than flying, but we shall not forget that we are guests up there and thus have to be extra-conscious at all times.

The family has my deepest sympathies on the sudden death of their daughter.

Nigeyboy
24th Feb 2006, 08:12
I've just registered on this forum, because I wanted to warn you about this school; stay well clear of them.
I started in P.E.A. about 4 years ago, and they are absolute cowboys! I left even before i finished my ppl. be very carefull about goign to this school.

I am at this school right now and I would like to know EXACTLY what your complaints are? I for one have had no problems and would be happy to discuss specifics with anyone.

It is so easy to come on here and slag off a school without going into detail. If you have a legitimate gripe then post it. Just calling them a bunch of cowboys without facts is unhelpful and damaging.

Robert Palmer
24th Feb 2006, 10:36
Problems:

Very poor maintenance - have had several bad situations there.
CFI (if it´s still that Lebanese Pr**k) is a scab!!

JS3
24th Feb 2006, 11:39
Problems:

Very poor maintenance - have had several bad situations there.
CFI (if it´s still that Lebanese Pr**k) is a scab!!

You must be a very ignorant person to have thought that the JR was the bad guy at PEA. Everyone knows its that he has nothing to do with the horrible stories that you hear about.

I know for a fact many students got screwed at PEA, like one student whose instructor was fired for leaving crumbled paper in the aircraft. That very student was at the end of his commercial course and was paired up with a dopey NEW instructor who had never flown on the Arrow before, and had never had a commercial student before. Student had a very hard time adjusting and was delayed over a month before a new instructor took over and finished the student off successfully.

Or like another student whose instructor was fired because they requested to have their current instructor continue training him through the Multi engine phase but was turned down. This resulted in some arguments with the head office that got the instructor fired, when in reality the instructor had nothing to do with it.

BUT THESE MISHAPS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CFI, BUT IN FACT WITH THAT HORRIBLE PERSON SITTING AT THE DESK NEXT TO HIM.

I wont use his name on this site but his initials are DW, and he is the one who is really running the show back there.

kerrinator
24th Feb 2006, 17:38
NIGEYBOY
It is so easy to come on here and slag off a school without going into detail. If you have a legitimate gripe then post it. Just calling them a bunch of cowboys without facts is unhelpful and damaging.[/quote]

MY VIEWS:
This is going to be a quick one:
Damaging they :mad: are- to their students.
Why don't you explain to me why 98% of the students in that school are foreigners???? I will tell you why; Because they can't change schools without loosing their J1 visa. Meaning that PEA have got their students grabbed by the balls. If that school was any good don't you think it would at least have a couple of American students??
A lot of students, including my self got ripped off, many times while at that school. I lost a hell of a lot of money because of them.
Ps. On my next post, Chapter 2! I will go more in detail,explaining exactly what a bunch of P:mad: S they are.

lloydsky
26th Feb 2006, 13:02
I spent one year in pea and I am going back next month. I had a few minor problems like you would expect from any company. I think alot of the problems related to the way CFI's were treated were related to Doug White (who was an a bit of a ****), but he has gone now and the guy in his place is alot better.
The only thing I would say is that whatever you are quoted for the course, you need to add 20% at least. They will tell you 10%. This is the same anywhere you go.
They operate fairly and it is up to you the student how well you do there.

I even paid up front and you should never do that but luckily it paid off for me (getting a discount of $2000, but being made to do a stupid glass cockpit course which cost me $1000 which was a total waste)

Anyway, these moaning bastards are just bitter fools who dont know how to get along in life and think that they can sit back and let everyone else do everything for them.

Robert Palmer
27th Feb 2006, 20:00
Anyway, these moaning bastards are just bitter fools who dont know how to get along in life and think that they can sit back and let everyone else do everything for them.

Looks like you are the fool, I was there 6 years ago. I know both management persons in question here. I worked there AND GOT ON IN LIFE. How about you, we are the same age...

Always some tosser...

kerrinator
27th Feb 2006, 21:18
Looks like you are the fool, I was there 6 years ago. I know both management persons in question here. I worked there AND GOT ON IN LIFE. How about you, we are the same age...

Always some tosser...

Robert, I agree absolute tosser!

feduke
2nd Mar 2006, 20:43
Funny how those complaining either wont give their identification or are speaking about 4 to 6 years ago. I'm really happy here. The single engine planes are all new 172SPs with all the electronics. They have 6 nice Senecas and the staff is great. I would just tell anybody that is thinking about a flight school to visit Phoenix and find out for them self what a great place it is. By the way, the price cant be beat too, and instructors are leaving all the time for real jobs. The chief pilot at Mesa just said he would rather hire Phoenix graduates becuase they are the best trained pilots as far as he is concerned.

See for yourself. Dont trust somebody that was a failure.

kerrinator
4th Mar 2006, 12:16
Funny how those complaining either wont give their identification or are speaking about 4 to 6 years ago. I'm really happy here. The single engine planes are all new 172SPs with all the electronics. They have 6 nice Senecas and the staff is great. I would just tell anybody that is thinking about a flight school to visit Phoenix and find out for them self what a great place it is. By the way, the price cant be beat too, and instructors are leaving all the time for real jobs. The chief pilot at Mesa just said he would rather hire Phoenix graduates becuase they are the best trained pilots as far as he is concerned.

See for yourself. Dont trust somebody that was a failure.

Listen Feduke, maybe that school has changed, in the past few years. And I agree, if people are not sure they should go, and visit the school. However, saying things like, calling people a "failure", Without knowing their "identification" Just goes to show, that you must have the IQ of a silly mosquito! I am a lot of things, but certainly not a FAILURE, and same goes to the other students that I met, that had the same problems with them. And another thing "best trained pilots" I don't think so, but keep dreaming!!!
PS. I doubt that all that bum hole licking, is going to get you cheap flight lessons. Just a thought!

tudeski2004
5th Mar 2006, 08:58
It's like being back at school listening to you two!!. Mudslinging aside, I visited PEA in November and met a guy called Bob in admissions. Nice chap and quite funny. Spent time with me and showed me around the school. I have to admit it looked quite good. Even offered me the oportunity to speak with other students to get an idea of what the place was like. I have to say there are a lot of non us nationals there, but I think that just goes to show the place has a good reputation. All in all It looked a good place to train and get hours under your belt. The lack of any JAA training was a negative point for me, but they are hurdles you can overcome. Best thing to do is go visit it yourself. You can make your own mind up then.

simondeane
6th Apr 2006, 19:07
I am just about to take the plundge to head to florida to pilot training. I was just wondering if any one has anything to say about phoenix east aviation??

nandcope
7th Apr 2006, 13:20
I know that they offer FAA, not any JAA ratings, so if you are going to fly in Europe, there are other flying schools in Florida that offer those ratings. By doing FAA, I think maybe you will pay more money in the long run because you will have to convert.

lgt
17th Apr 2006, 00:21
Has anybody done the ATP program. It seems to be interesting towards the required 1500 hours. Any opinions?

exraf
9th May 2006, 14:39
Anyone flown with PEA over and above PPL. ?? Any comments ??

Meskanew
10th May 2006, 01:11
I've been going to Phoenix east aviation for 2 years. It started out really good, but the last 6 months have been one long slide for them. It startet with them not being able to say no to new students when they were at full capacity, so we could never fly because the plans were completely booked from sunrise till late night. Then a lot of the instructors got hired and so there were no one to fly with, and now finally they installed a new very expensive scheduling system and took the money for it out of the students accounts with telling a single student, and we were unable to get a receipt for the withdrawl.

All in all, it is a school with very good instructors and a good fleet of C-172s but a bad management.

Ricky1
11th May 2006, 13:40
Heya Meskanew,
Just wondering what the situation is like now in PEA after they bought this new scheduling system? Has it eased any of the problems? I also don't understand how PEA took the funds out of students accounts for this new system... Is there going to be a price difference in the students overall training? I just don't beleive they can make the students foot the bill for this!

"Then a lot of the instructors got hired and so there were no one to fly with" Whats this about?:confused:

Meskanew
12th May 2006, 03:38
Hey Rick
I should say I'm no longer at the school. There were a lot of problems with the new scheduling system when it was first installed but it is slowly getting better. The system is financed by taking an initial payment of $55 and then $25 a month from each student, the first payment was taken with any students knowing about it, and it took them 2 weeks to inform the student what was going on.
We didn't believe they could foot us the bill, but they did.

The school does not have enough instructors, especially multi-engine instructors. But the instructors they have are very good.

I hear from other flight schools in the area that a lot of students are considering leaving Phoenix East.

Nigeyboy
12th May 2006, 19:23
NIGEYBOY
It is so easy to come on here and slag off a school without going into detail. If you have a legitimate gripe then post it. Just calling them a bunch of cowboys without facts is unhelpful and damaging.

MY VIEWS:
This is going to be a quick one:
Damaging they :mad: are- to their students.
Why don't you explain to me why 98% of the students in that school are foreigners???? I will tell you why; Because they can't change schools without loosing their J1 visa. Meaning that PEA have got their students grabbed by the balls. If that school was any good don't you think it would at least have a couple of American students??
A lot of students, including my self got ripped off, many times while at that school. I lost a hell of a lot of money because of them.
Ps. On my next post, Chapter 2! I will go more in detail,explaining exactly what a bunch of P:mad: S they are.[/QUOTE]

Ok, 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot, There are plenty of American students and instructors, Yes, the school controls the J1 ...just like every other school. You know this from the start. They are not perfect, I don't know one that is? If the school was that bad why would they have so many international student? wouldn't they all leave? Do you think the FAA would continue to allow to issue them? who did you take your complaints to? what action did you take?

Ricky1
16th May 2006, 14:06
Heya guys. Im heading over to PEA in September to start my training. My best mate is over there training already. I don't think he would have recommended the school to me if it was ****e! I can't wait to go over and start my training there. The staff have been great so far. I don't think foreign students would bother heading over to Florida, taking out huge loans, if the school was terrible. :cool:

bigboyal
17th May 2006, 04:29
I'm at PEA at the minute. Me and my mate did Private, Instrument and Commercial in 6 months. It's true that it will cost more than they say, no matter how good you are! I'm banking on about $8k/20% more than they said and I'm only responsible for about $500 of that!! Damn localisers! There's a number of reasons for this (PM me) but I'm assured it's pretty much the case with any school in the USA.

Aside from the extra expense there's not much I personally can complain about. There's only 1 complex single which is a pain if you want to do single commercial and might make people think twice. It's also common to wait 4 or 5 days for a stage check. Just don't fail them (see paragraph 1!:ugh: )!!

The 172's are excellent, I've had 2 flights cancelled, one a broken seatbelt, one a mag dropping 200. The Arrow is old! There seems to be enough Senecas at the moment and a friend has done multi private and multi commercial in 2 months.

Basically from what I have experienced is that if you work hard, annoy your instructor by demanding to fly everyday (4 lessons in one day is my best), and keep your head down you will be able to minimise problems that do arise. Besides, WHEN the Arrow breaks down, you can just enjoy the sun by the pool and study for your ATPL's, you're pretty much useless as a European pilot until they're done anyway.......right??!

I haven't dealt with any of the 'important' staff as I keep my head down so I couldn't comment really. I have heard mixed reports, mainly bad but that's because good stuff probably doesn't make as good gossip.

My instructor is excellent, most are very good, a few aren't. Same as everywhere I would have thought?? I've done RAF EFT so that helped a fair bit and yes you can tell the difference between the quality of instruction but even from the start of Private my instructor insisted on Commercial standards. The only areas where I feel the syllabus doesn't teach you enough is during Instruments and the cross country part in particular. Not helped by a lack of IMC in Florida! Fortunately I ask a lot of questions when I feel there is a gap in my training.

Don't just turn up here though. You have to come and see the place and talk to people. Theres a lot of opinions around. Some very happy. Some very unhappy! Expect to have to play the system a bit, make sure you get an instructor you're comfortable with and you get on with (mine slept through half my commercial), and make sure you demand to fly, chase up stage checks etc. Even though the school does seem to be just after your money (they are a business) they do help you out when you ask politely. Wearing uniform and looking professional also probably helps, as do basic 'people' skills (there's a few t o s s e r s)!

They're my thoughts on the place! I hope they were constructive. My other option was to go to Oxford and I still think I made the right choice, this way is just a bit more of a faff.

aus
6th Aug 2006, 10:53
Hi!
I'm going to attend PEA's courses at October....Does anybody attend PEA and can tell something about them????(bad and good)
I visited PEA and it looks ok...
Let me know something!
Thanx AUS

PPL152
6th Aug 2006, 17:50
Do you study for JAA or FAA licences at PEA? and... heard it's not that expensive as compared to OAT, FTE etc?

best of luck m8

tudeski2004
7th Aug 2006, 15:40
PEA only do FAA courses. They do the ATPL through Naples, but other than that, its all FAA stuff.

eliasg17
29th Jan 2007, 14:24
Hi i would like some opinions for that school....
it sounds very good and professional...is there any x student here that i can ask him some questions
regards

Coldwing
14th Jun 2007, 12:08
I have read all the posts in this topic and I'm little interested about 1400 flight hours during the ATPL course.

The price seems good but you say that it's going to increase during the time.

So, altough I will pay a little more more, do you know if I will got all 1400 flight hours in an acceptable price?

Thanks very much :)

Aerocadet
12th Mar 2008, 10:21
Good day!

I'm planning to have my flight training in the USA (spec. Florida).

Hopefully, I would want to be under the J-1 visa program and earn the hours I need before I return to our country.

So any here had an experience in PEA as an international student? How was the training?

Thank you!!! :cool:

feduke
14th Mar 2008, 17:07
You say:
Because they can't change schools without loosing their J1 visa. Meaning that PEA have got their students grabbed by the balls. If that school was any good don't you think it would at least have a couple of American students??

People transfer J1 visas everyday. It's a very simple procedure. Yeah, I'm at PEA. I'm instructing. Yes, like every other flight school in the world, PEA is "losing" (word used properly) instructors to the airlines quickly because demand is so high. Find me one other professional school that has enough intructors.

Not enough planes? About 20 172SPs with and without the G1000. Four Senecas with 5 DA42s on the way (first one due tomorrow), 10 Cessna Sky Catchers on order and 2 Cessna Mustang VLJ Jets ordered this week.
Oh yeah, and brand new Frasca Visual Sims for all of the planes.

Sorry, but no 40 year old 152s. You are totally insured here, you and the plane (find that anywhere else) and maintenance every 50 hours instead of the legal 100.

No Americans? It's probably around 50/50 US and foreign. No one really cares here. It's a friendly, supportive place.

If you can't get along here.......................

andili
14th Mar 2008, 21:56
Hi Guys,

I am searching for a realy good Flight school in the US with a
from Initio to ATPL Program !!
and all in JAA :confused:

Iam thankfull for any advise !!

Paklady
4th Mar 2009, 18:43
Your post is now 3 years old, and I was wondering how many students and instructors did you have then? How many are there now? My son is planning to attend in the fall. What kind of ratio should I look for, and what is the max # of students they should take on?

Paklady
5th Mar 2009, 07:57
PEA's prices are higher than what other schools? The other ones I've looked at are higher. Do you know of more reasonably priced schools with decent aircraft and reputations, who also hire you after training for CFI? It's a great way to get hours. Specifics from you would be helpful.

aviation_is_my_life
5th Mar 2009, 08:14
hi there
i m looking forward to start training for PPL and all the way till frozen ATPL.can u plz suggest me a flight training academy which offer this course in competitive price and i can do some hour buildings as well.
i m interested to go to australia like
Sydney Flight Training Academy
Cebair etc etc

your suggestion on anything else would be great.

thnx

Alpha Golf Mike
17th Jul 2011, 09:13
Anyone with recent experience on this school?

iknowthismuch2btrue
22nd Jul 2011, 19:54
wondering the same thing. Anyone ?

HrCookie
8th Aug 2011, 18:43
Same question, anyone who is attending now or have recent experience with PEA? :)

PIELORD
1st Sep 2011, 02:23
I'm currently at PEA. If you would like to ask specific questions I would be happy to answer and share my experiences with you. But in the main, my 18 months here have been very positive.

:ok:

cyrilroy21
1st Sep 2011, 02:58
@PIELORD

Hi

Could you tell me what the DUAL rate is for the DA-42 and the PA-34 ?

PIELORD
1st Sep 2011, 11:50
Hey Cyrilroy

The Diamond is about $500 per hour. Im not sure about the PA's as I haven't flown them. I would suggest that you look it up on their website or contact them.

I didn't really make it clear in my previous post, but my offer was more for people wanting to find out about the realities of life at PEA than cost comparisons etc.

iamcreasy
10th Sep 2011, 04:46
I want to start my pilot training at Phoenix East Aviation, Deytona Beach, Florida(Part 141). But, I am a little worried about the cost. It says its gonna take $41,581(FAA minumum) considering about 20% over budget for additional flight hours and the fuel surcharge, it will be around $50,000. So far it was ok with me, but then they say, for getting a job as CFI there I have to completer another 3 courses, 1.CFI, 2.CFII, and 3.MEI which is going to take another $18,336. Total making it $68,336. Isn't it too much?

Another thing is I have to bear my living expense myself. But, Phoenix says, the F-1 visa they issue wont allow me to work, excapt their CFI. But, Ive heard that PEA students do some small job to make up for their living expense. Can someone elighten me about this issue? The bottom line is I cann't bring every penny from my homeland(Bangladesh).

It would be a pleasue for me if there is any Phoenix East Student here, or possible to contact one to talk. I have made up mind to go there, but some of these figures are very disturbing. I dont wanna come back empty handed.

One thing I would like to point out is that I am a indie game developers. So, If I continue my interdependent game development over there, would it cause violation of visa regulations?(if F-1 absolutely prohibits anything that brings money to your pocket)

If you have any experience with PEA then please share. Dont post anything just out of speculation. Thanks.

iamcreasy
10th Sep 2011, 17:18
Hey @PIELORD , I want to start my training at PEA. I am curious about the life over there. Can you give me a general overview with details. About how easy it is to get to fly everyday, how easy its to find some inside job with F-1 visa, how other students are making up the living expense(after 1 year, when F1 allows them to do some job), do the administrator keep their words about money and other services, what's the ratio they pick CFI for themselves, and among the picked CFI what's the ratio of international and American.

Thanks.

iamcreasy
11th Sep 2011, 06:59
Ah yeh read it, and reading the visa agreements right now, But here I was asking for a perspective form a student from there & in a more broad sense. Thought might be things might look a little...different.

Lothar
1st Dec 2011, 22:41
Good questions, would like to know the answers

keyur
30th Jul 2012, 06:00
Currently, how is this flying school? Has the situation and the quality improved or has it gone from bad to worse?

PTCstudent123
16th Jan 2013, 14:44
I would like to know how life is attending PEA at the moment. I was recommended this place by someone who couldn't rate it highly enough and I am quite interested in going here. Does anyone have any other reviews on the place?