PDA

View Full Version : Avon Descent - 2006

allan907
5th Aug 2006, 10:29
The Avon Descent is an annual white water power boat and canoe event in Western Australia. This year the water levels have been the lowest since the race was first run 35 years ago (global warming???) Anyway, how's about this for a pic!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/P8280031.jpg

lanciaspezzata
5th Aug 2006, 10:52
Good pic. It's obvious that the engine seized rock-solid.

rustle
5th Aug 2006, 10:53
That's what multiplex are doing here in the UK as well... ;)

cavortingcheetah
5th Aug 2006, 12:08
:hmm:

An excellent picture.
It reminds me of the old days when we used to walk a canoe up the rapids in Central America. Well, the peons did. We used to sit on the bank, smoke cheroots and generally direct matters in a lackadaisical fashion whilst dipping into and sipping the Venezualan rum ration.:cool:
But, if I may be a bit of a fizz-gig:
Isn't a downstream power boat competition just the teeniest bit of an ecological and environmental contradiction?;)

allan907
5th Aug 2006, 13:26
Totally environmentally unfriendly. Fortunately the power boats are balanced (in this case literally) by the paddlers - and the paddlers are in the vast majority.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/P8280030.jpg

Did I mention that it's over 2 days and 135 km long? Northam to Perth

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2006, 13:39
Why is the Multiplex boat STILL blocking the rapids? Is it a designated obstacle?

cavortingcheetah
5th Aug 2006, 13:59

Have you ever seen how fast a duck bill platypus can move over land?
It is quite extraordinary what these Ozzie thingies will do in order to get into the water.:p

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2006, 14:08
I read that platypi have poison spurs. Anybody been struck? Did you die?

cavortingcheetah
5th Aug 2006, 14:22
The Ornithorhynchus, or duck mole of Australia is, of course referred to in the singular as a platypus. However the root of the word platypus actually comes from the Greek and so the correct plural ending is 'poi' hence platypoi. However, the generally accepted English plural is platypus or :E platypuses. Platypi however is not correct!:p ;)
The creature is well renowned for being able to stand almost vertically, head down in the water, feeding with its bill whilst breathing through its anus, a feat, some would say, not entirely confined to only furry antipodean animals in that area of the southern hemisphere. Curiously enough and, perhaps in contrast to its humanoid relations in that part of the world, there is no collective noun for the platypus, since the creature is of rather a solitary disposition.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2006, 14:25
A 'platitude'?

cavortingcheetah
5th Aug 2006, 14:41
:D

Nicely put!;)

allan907
5th Aug 2006, 16:22
You shoulda seen what problems the stuck boat did create! However, they managed to empty it - with some help from a marshal - and get going again. Suspect tomorrow will be a looooooong day.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/P8280034.jpg

.....and here's one I took earlier.....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/P8280012.jpg

Mycroft
6th Aug 2006, 18:29
Well actually only the bit between Bristol and the Bristol Channel, amazing to think that I did in one afternoon what it took the SS Great Britain 125 years to do.

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Aug 2006, 04:03
The greek plural of -us is -odes.

eg platypodes, octopodes. (flat feets, eight feets....:) )

separator
7th Aug 2006, 05:46
Last week I saw a platypus and there was another one with it.

sep

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2006, 05:47

In considering the niceties between execution and banishment and whilst neither fearful of the former nor in awe of the latter; I defer, although not quite in humble abasement, to the moderator's superior knowledge of certain Greek plurals.
Comparision of Platypus with Oedipus would indicate a slight absurdity in referring to more than one playtpus as, for example:
"Here come the flat feets."
or to more than one Oedipus as:
"Here come the swollen feets."
Mind you though, the absolutely precise Greek plural has a harmonic to it which is missing in the somewhat bastardised English adaptive.
So, perhaps, as the emperor might have said.
"There it is then, platypodes, much more satisfying":D

allan907
7th Aug 2006, 07:46
.......all academic 'cos there ain't no platyparses in the Avon (they're an Eastern States animal (monotreme - before some pedant picks me up))

AerBabe
7th Aug 2006, 07:57
there is no collective noun for the platypus, since the creature is of rather a solitary disposition.

Last week I saw a Platypus in the company of a Possum, a Wobly and an Echidna.

They were all stuffed and in a display cabinet.

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2006, 09:08
Flummoxed as one may be and not wishing in any way either to be thought pedantic or to put one's head into a platypussery, is a wobly a slurred wallaby?:confused:

AerBabe
7th Aug 2006, 09:13
It's as gee-gee is to horses and moo cow is to bovines. :)

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2006, 09:26

Baby talk then, AerBabe?;)

AerBabe
7th Aug 2006, 09:51
ARGH, don't say that word!!! :mad: :=

allan907
7th Aug 2006, 10:51
wobly???? Shouldn't that be woyly? (A kind of furry antipodean animal that one puts under a plate of cakes)

PS: After 2 days and 135 km 172 competitors out of the 750 entrants didn't make it. The South African who took out the doubles kayak title and who has competed around the world, rated this weekend's Avon Descent as the toughest white water race he has contested.

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2006, 11:07
;) Rather pleased to see that a South African won. They rather like the water, and washing too.

Back to the somewhat hijacked topic in a veil of absolute confusion which leaves no doubt in my mind that Australian slang is best left to those who live there and, being unable to pronounce 'wanari' have to call them 'mulga'.

'Our woylie can get around so why cant you? Ogle at our beautiful mulga and take pictures to send home to Mum! She'll be so proud of you, right beside the highway as you are. She'll think "oh my boy is such a frontier man in the horstralian outback, and sensitive too, looking after the woyly bush and the rare hopping mulga gummy.' :confused:

Beg pardon, I'm soiling the doileys
With afternoon tea-cakes and scones.

Ah Hah! So woyly is strine for doiley? So much for a mouth full of marbles.:8

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Aug 2006, 12:04
Oh well...

Suppose it goes some way toward making up for the bloody awful way we play rugby.:(

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2006, 16:19
Boats? Canoes? In ENGLAND we SWIM!
An environmental campaigner has become the first person to swim the length of the River Thames.
Lewis Gordon Pugh, 36, a lawyer who wants to draw attention to a World Wildlife Federation campaign on climate change, finished at Southend, Essex.
His 203-mile journey began in Kemble, Gloucestershire, on 17 July.
"This challenge has proved far more difficult than I expected due to the drought and the heatwave," Mr Pugh said on Sunday.
"It has been a long time. I am absolutely exhausted. It has been an incredible journey," he added.
"I never thought it would be this hard. It is certainly the hardest swim I have ever done."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5249622.stm

allan907
7th Aug 2006, 16:53
So what did he do in the locks? Tread water while the gates were opened??

cavortingcheetah
7th Aug 2006, 17:29

Whilst I am sure that Mr Pugh is an excellent fellow; I think that I would cringe in my sleep were Tony Blair to have told me that I 'was an excellent fellow'.
Of course, environmental campaigners such as Mr Pugh, but possibly not including him, are the sort of people who campaign vigorously for an increase in taxation on anything from air travel to old cars. As such; I am not quite so certain that his excercises and efforts should be applauded so willy nilly.
Once again the thin line between what constitutes a charitable or a political activity is being blurred. That is all very well insofar as it goes, but then, if a registered and tax exempt charity wishes to act in a political fashion, as, perhaps might be argued, have Oxfam or Greenpeace; then such organizations must not be too surprised if they encounter flak from those who, whilst condoning the charitable aspect of their efforts are not quite so supportive of the political.:rolleyes: