PDA

View Full Version : Aussies vote against drinking recycled sewage

Hobo
5th Aug 2006, 07:03
From London Daily Telegraph 31/7/06:
I didn't realise the Flat Earth Society had a branch down under.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/31/wsewage31.xml
It couldn't be any worse than the current Toowoomba water. I visit there 2-3 times a year and it doesn't make a good cup of tea and I get a nasty "rash" after a couple of showers.

ORAC
5th Aug 2006, 07:27
For a minute there, I thought Castlemaine XXXX had been banned...

sprocket
5th Aug 2006, 08:50
If I was a moderator Mr ORAC, you would be taking at least a two week vacation from here ....

ORAC
5th Aug 2006, 09:08
:E :E ;) :} :}

Buster Hyman
5th Aug 2006, 09:15
You lot are just taking the piss! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/hmm.gif

haughtney1
5th Aug 2006, 10:14
For a minute there, I thought Castlemaine XXXX had been banned...

:p very very good..we need to ban UTE's first:E

Evening Star
5th Aug 2006, 10:26
Get used to the idea, it may be a necessity in the future.

One serious proposal for South East England is to use the output from sewage treatment works to replenish the depleted (through over abstraction for drinking water purposes) chalk aquifers. Technically there is no problem. The output from a sewage treatment works has to be the same as the receiving water course (paradoxically, discharging pure water would dilute the nutrients that support aquatic life). While it may not be a good idea to drink directly from any river, generally the worse that will happen from any UK river is an unpleasantly extended session on the netty. In the same way, a modern water treatment works with membrane filtration could theoretically purify water from any source. Taken together it is feasible and it really is merely an extension of the exisitng process where treated sewage discharge from upstream will mingle with the river water abstracted downstream for drinking water purposes. The problem is psychological ... with aquifer storage and recovery in SE England there is a more overt link which will involve pursuading Londoners to drink all the piss from Oxford.:E

Sailor Vee
5th Aug 2006, 11:07
Castlemaine, I would have thought it applied more to Fosters:yuk:.
all the piss from OxfordWhich brewery is there?

Unwell_Raptor
5th Aug 2006, 11:37
in a referendum on Saturday its 100,000 residents rejected the plan by 62 per cent.

So 38 percent voted for the sewage then. That explains a lot about Australians.

sprocket
5th Aug 2006, 11:43
Ha! ... UR, dont go twisting the facts, please note the quote referred to "residents" .... NOT "Australians".

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Aug 2006, 11:46
There's an Oxford Brewery in Kidlington.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
5th Aug 2006, 13:28
the Flat Earth Society had a branch down underisn't that a contradiction? :confused:

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2006, 14:03
Hadn't you heard of the Underworld?

AcroChik
5th Aug 2006, 15:05
"Get used to the idea, it may be a necessity in the future."

Soylent Green.

ORAC
5th Aug 2006, 15:27
Quote:
the Flat Earth Society had a branch down under

isn't that a contradiction?

Hadn't you heard of the Underworld?

I think somebody is being diss'ed...... :rolleyes:

Standard Noise
5th Aug 2006, 16:36
I didn't realise the Flat Earth Society had a branch down under.

Shoul it not be, on the other side?

madherb
5th Aug 2006, 16:55
Residents of Windhoek have been drinking the recycled stuff for donkey's years. All the real water there is used to brew 'reinheidsgebot' (sp?) beer, which is then recycled by human kidneys, and ends up being recycled yet again, for use by residents. So recycling is big in Namibia. So is cycling, although not as popular as beer drinking.
Reminds me, must toddle off to see how my solar-powerd brewing device is working today. :E:eek:

tinpis
6th Aug 2006, 02:42
Residents indeed also known as Queenslanders.

Adelaide residents have been drinking sh#t for years.

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2006, 02:48
I thought that London water had passed through human bodies seven times already.

The local recycled water is more pure than 'source' water from reservoirs.

This is the Australian state that doesn't change to daylight saving time during summer - legend has it that some people were concerned that their curtains would fade more if they had daylight saving time.

tinpis
6th Aug 2006, 03:22
This is the Australian state that doesn't change to daylight saving time during summer - legend has it that some people were concerned that their curtains would fade more if they had daylight saving time.

No ....the reason was that several dictators ago one Bjelke Jo (Dont you worry about that)Pedersen decreed the sun shone out his arse and he wasnt getting up an hour earlier for anyone.

AA SLF
6th Aug 2006, 07:28
Well, if yerz ever had a tinny of Fosters or VB, then the saying "takin the piss" has NEW MEANING for yaz . . . . . . :p

airship
6th Aug 2006, 13:59
Did anyone stop to consider whether the Israelis might have been asked the same question recently? They voted for going to war as an alternative (lots of untapped water resources north of the border)... ;) :uhoh:

PS. Time one had a lunch-break methinks...

Two's in
6th Aug 2006, 16:38
In light of this, you have to worry how the vote for the introduction of Myxomatosis to eradicate wild rabbits is going to go…

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2006, 16:45
Myxi is rare around here, but when I DO find one I tend to leave it now (let nature take it's course) otherwise I'm forever pumping lead . . .

I've tried (all sorts of ) trapping, but the blighters pinch the bait without falling into the trap. Not tried snares or gin-traps though.

Buster Hyman
6th Aug 2006, 23:06
A rabbit walks into a cafe' for some lunch & asks the waitress what she recommends. She promptly recommends the salad toastie which the cafe' is famous for. "What's that?" he asks.
"Well, we put a range of carrot, celery, lettuce, tomato between two slices of bread and toast it." He liked the sound of that & ordered it.
This went on at lunchtime for a number of weeks until one day the waitress suggested he try some different ingredients, to which he agreed.
As he was finishing up the new variety, he began to cough & splutter. The waitress ran to his aid but he collapsed & died.
When the Police were interviewing the distraught waitress it became clear how he died & even the waitress admitted..."He died of mixing my toasties"

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2006, 23:09
That's SILLY! Rabbits don't talk and eat toasties. You've been watching Reuters again.

Blacksheep
7th Aug 2006, 12:51
"What Richmond drinks today, London drinks tomorrow"

What often worries me is that water treatment plants try to show how clean their water is by having fish swim in the output. I keep goldfish, so I know that fish live in their own excrement.

con-pilot
7th Aug 2006, 18:26
so I know that fish live in their own excrement.

That's why I don't drink water.

"Water! Do you know what fish do in water?" W.C. Fields