PDA

View Full Version : Interesting arrival at EICK

meat bomb
5th Aug 2006, 04:32
Have heard a rumour of a certain low cost carrier making an unusual orbit on short finals at Cork in June rather than going around due to an aircraft ahead. A GA pilot put the angle of bank at close to 80 degrees. Allowing for exageration , has anyone else heard this one or is it just another Ryanair story plucked from the skies?

Loose rivets
5th Aug 2006, 05:21
Yes indeed. When factored for exaguration, it was a .0000005 degree turn, which took a week. Perfectly safe.

Runaway Gun
6th Aug 2006, 15:35
An 80 degree banked orbit?
How much height did he lose? :ugh:

Wanderin_dave
8th Aug 2006, 05:15
Maybe more of a lazy-eight than an orbit? :E

Now there's something to try in the next sim ride! :}

barit1
8th Aug 2006, 13:05
About 30 yrs. ago I was PAX on a DC9 on night approach to KBOS 4R (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0608/00058AD.PDF). About 2 miles out the cpt added some power, stopped descent, and rolled into an "unconventional" right turn at a few hundred feet altitude. I was enjoying the view of the harbor lights when he reversed the roll to line up on 33, whereupon we landed without further ado, although he wasn't "wings level" until over the numbers.

Seems that some traffic didn't clear 4R in time. The whole episode was rather fun for me, although we probably didn't reach 30º bank.

lm06
10th Aug 2006, 20:40
hi there
try asking this question over on the Cork-3 thread....lots of knowledgeable people over there
just search forums for "cork" it's the one called "cork-3"

there was an article in a local paper, not sure if it was around then of a very low flight over houses in the area but according to those in the know it would have involved flying up the side of the hill to get to the rwy threshold......the city lies in a hollow below the airport level