PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 Q400 'problems' mentioned in ALPA newsletter?

Shrike200
4th Aug 2006, 20:37
Hi all,

In the latest ALPA SA newsletter, one section mentions (I quote): "The Danish ALPA Representative stated that SAS, the launch customer of the Q400, has had problems since they received the aircraft. They recently announced that the type will be withdrawn from service for a total rebuild, in an attempt to overcome the problems dogging the aircraft."

I'd like to know more about this - despite the use of the underground search site located at http://66.249.85.99, I can't seem to find anything of any use. To withdraw an aircraft from service is a major step. This isn't the usual pprune slugfest starting up (I hope), I just want to know more about the Q400 - it seems relevant to the recent discussion regarding it's introduction with SAX.

I know there are regulars out there who are using the type - do you know what SAS are on about?

Shrike200
4th Aug 2006, 20:42
The Nordic forum has more, but no real info:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-47507.html

plus more here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CWU/is_2001_Feb_5/ai_71126299

and this airliners.net photo comments "SAS Commuter has a lot of serious technical problems with it´s Dash fleet. The plane was not "debugged" before delivery, and has caused the airline a lot of pain."

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=154180

So, no real info, apart from 'false warnings'. So, how are the local Q400's holding up? Debugged?

Q4NVS
4th Aug 2006, 20:51
Yeah!

As far as I know there was a small snag wrt the NVS System on the 1st day, but after plugging in a Laptop and rebooting the system, this was solved. For the rest, I understand it is Running like a Swiss Army Watch and the passengers are supposedly lovin it. :p

Guess SAS must be having similar problems as what can be expected when buying that (1st off the Production Line) new German Automobile. Sounds like it is only 1 single Q400 though...

grjplanes
4th Aug 2006, 21:27
Any idea why the last Q400 flight to George on Friday was delayed by almost 5 hours, it arrived on time back from GRJ earlier in the afternoon, but then delayed for the last routing...maybe some problem?

Shrike200
4th Aug 2006, 21:35
....after plugging in a Laptop and rebooting the system, this was solved....

Hope they didn't let the pilots near that process! (Speaking for myself of course!) ;)

For the rest, I understand it is Running like a Swiss Army Watch and the passengers are supposedly lovin it. :p

Good to hear :ok:

reptile
4th Aug 2006, 22:17
The SAS aircraft were the initial production run. These aircraft had some serious technical problems - to the extend that a number of engineers were seconded from Bombardier to SAS. "Patches" were devised to keep these aircraft running. Solutions were then introduced in production aircraft. The 're-build' SAS is refering to is a factory program to bring early production aircraft to the same standard as current production aircraft.

The SAX aircraft are obviously very late production aircraft. The theory is that the problems experienced with the early aircraft should not crop up in the newer aircraft. Time will tell, but so far so good.

Interesting side note: The SAX bean counters are extremely impressed. Intial indications are that the Q400's are performing better than the Bombardier prediction in terms of economy. Based on this, the company is accelerating the acquisition of more Q400's.

George Tower
5th Aug 2006, 10:12
Flybe in Blighty operate shed loads of 'em and they seem to be coining it.

Just out of interest what kind of fuel burns are the SAX Q400s on the FAJS - FAGG route?

Shrike200
5th Aug 2006, 15:11
I asked the same question in the previous Q400 thread - I can't remember the answer, but I think it's somewhere there at least!

putt for dough
5th Aug 2006, 17:42
In turn to the supertrawler.....:E :E

grjplanes
6th Aug 2006, 14:51
It seems that the 2nd and 3rd SAX fligths today (CRJ+Q400) to George were replaced together with a SAA A319...any idea why?

beckers
7th Aug 2006, 05:19
One of the Q400s suffered a bird strike on Friday just below the windshield. I think there was a little minor damage. Back on line yesterday.