PDA

View Full Version : Pulse - DVD

Buster Hyman
4th Aug 2006, 15:05
Just went out & bought this gem today. Missed out on the concerts when they toured down here but, after watching the light show, am I kicking myself now!!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:

And even after all these years...I still reckon Sam Brown's a looker!:ok:

Great concert..
:D
W
LL

djk
4th Aug 2006, 15:10
Buster,

You missed out on a great gig, I went to two of the gigs at Earl's Court
managed to bootleg one of the nights, ermmm I mean recorded it for my own personal listening pleasure :O

treadigraph
4th Aug 2006, 15:25
DJK, is your's one of the bootlegs bootlegged on the DVD? Cracking DVD, so nice to have a quality version rather than my snowy old video. Went to one of the Earls Court gigs as well, wonderful!

There was rumour in the gossippy bit of the Telegraph last Saturday that Pink Floyd will perfrom at a tribute concert for Syd Barratt... Sorry, forgot that this isn't PFRuNe...

10bob
4th Aug 2006, 16:14
I was at Earls Court on the night they recorded that show. It's nice to upgrade my crackly VHS version of the concert, recorded off BBC1 6 months later, to a shiny new dvd version!

I watched it from start to finish last week-end, with the volume right up and it still gives me goose bumps when I watch it. What I find astounding is that the technology they used is 12 years old now, but the light show and special effects gives even big concert performances today a run for their money.

A tribute to Syd Barrett? I hope so.

:ok:

B Fraser
4th Aug 2006, 18:30
A truly awesome DVD. I was lucky to be there on two nights :ok:

djk
4th Aug 2006, 18:40
DJK, is your's one of the bootlegs bootlegged on the DVD? Cracking DVD, so nice to have a quality version rather than my snowy old video. Went to one of the Earls Court gigs as well, wonderful!
There was rumour in the gossippy bit of the Telegraph last Saturday that Pink Floyd will perfrom at a tribute concert for Syd Barratt... Sorry, forgot that this isn't PFRuNe...

I'd have to check the tapes at home, I think it was the gig from the 14th that I managed to record on a DAT recorder hidden in my jacket

Willows
4th Aug 2006, 22:01
I still favour the earlier concerts with the full line up, minus Syd obviously. I have a few clips from the Live at Pompeii gig. (Was this ever actually released or just floating about the internet?) I'd love to get the full thing eventually. Oh my god, the pompeii version of Echoes ...

Pulse is well worth the money though.

treadigraph
5th Aug 2006, 00:12
Willows, I ordered Pulse from the Jungle associated suppliers and for good measure brought the Pompeii DVD at the same time... I have both, go for it!
As an aside: will Australian Pink Floyd release "Live at Pompey" when next they appear in Hampshire? :}

Buster Hyman
5th Aug 2006, 03:14
Well...:*...thanks very much to you all! Could not one of you have said it was a crap show & made me feel better? No!:suspect:

I thought the Bootleg bit was a nice touch...some good camera work in there amongst the shite too!

I'm sure I've seen the Pompeii concert on DVD hereabouts...I'll have a look & let you know.

BombayDuck
5th Aug 2006, 05:08
Got the VCD as a birthday gift last year. Easily the best gift I've received, ever. :ok:

The start of both "Shine on you..." and "Wish you were here" gives me goosebumps.

Come on you painter,
you piper, you prisoner
and shine!

wow.

B Fraser
5th Aug 2006, 08:42
Well...:*...thanks very much to you all! Could not one of you have said it was a crap show & made me feel better? No!:suspect:

OK it was crap, Prof Steven Hawking's wheelchair was blocking my view of .05% of the light show. :hmm:

Feel better ? Thought not.

Cheerio
5th Aug 2006, 10:36
Try these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djJGHcfFgAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_2YJFd9ms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG9LCB62uMA

heaps more interesting stuff there

5th Aug 2006, 13:50
I've waited a long time for this to come out on DVD. We actually had a release date for it when I worked for HMV whilst a student in the mid-90's!

Glad to see it's finally been released but having watched the VHS version upteen drunken times, it's actually quite an anit-climax as there's nothing really new on it apart from some drunken roadies' documentary lobbed in as a bonus....

The Aussie Floyd's Liverpool DVD is very good and well worth the cash if you're into some visuals to go along with the live music....

mocoman
14th Aug 2006, 01:39
Ah but I was there you see...

The Donkeys Knob was my local bar....

It moved around a bit but we had a good house band...

What the DVD fails to point out is the fact that we had a thriving local music and poetry scene that we were trying to promote...

Field Marshall Weber was most insistant that we provide artistic input for the masses......

Happy Days

:cool:

I challenge anyone to name locations for all of the Knob-Fests; if u remember u really weren't there.

Binoculars
10th Sep 2006, 04:34
Wow. WOW. I'm gobsmacked. That is the best $35 I've ever spent.

However I suspect rather sadly that it will finish up costing me about $5000. I mean if it looks and sounds that good on a basic TV with crappy mono speakers, well, you know the rest. Stereo Supplies, here I come, mastercard in hand........:uhoh:

(what's with the two drummers though? :confused: )

10th Sep 2006, 08:50
The two drummers, or extra drummer is there because Nick Mason openely admits that he's not actually that good on the skins, so recruited Gary Wallis for the tour to fill in the gaps, or play what Mason would have wanted to play........

Buster Hyman
10th Sep 2006, 09:37
10 points for honesty Mr. Mason!:ok:

Bino's...Maaate...They're having a lend of you up there in the FNQ!! $35? I got it for $24 & felt burned as its selling for $19 now!:suspect: Mongrels...

Wedge
10th Sep 2006, 09:43
or extra drummer is there because Nick Mason openely admits that he's not actually that good on the skins

Well it's nonsense, of course, he's just being modest (if he did say that, what's the source?). He's a very good drummer, they brought in Wallis because the extra drummer was required for a lot of the percussive sound effects, and the kind of sounds that no drummer alone can create. You'll notice Wallis' set-up includes a lot of electric drums for that purpose.

However he does often play along with Mason on a standard 4/4 beat, and that just adds to the huge sound you get on the CD/DVD.

Not seen the DVD yet but it will be on my Xmas list......

10th Sep 2006, 16:05
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0297843877.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Here's your source Wedge :ok:

Otherwise known as 'The Horses Mouth'

It's a good read.......