PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airways

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

DTVAirport
4th Aug 2006, 08:16
Eastern Airways have unveiled a new livery, the first aircraft to be painted is BAe Jetstream 41 G-MAJL:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1089130&WxsIERv=Oevgvfu%20Nrebfcnpr%20Wrgfgernz%2041&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Rnfgrea%20Nvejnlf&QtODMg=Funaaba%20%28FAA%20%2F%20RVAA%29&ERDLTkt=Verynaq&ktODMp=Nhthfg%202%2C%202006&BP=0&WNEb25u=Geribe%20Zhyxreevaf&xsIERvdWdsY=T-ZNWY&MgTUQtODMgKE=Svefg%20cubgb%20ba%20Nveyvaref.arg%20bs%20gur%2 0arj%20pbybhef%20bs%20Rnfgrea%20Nvejnlf.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=123&NEb25uZWxs=2006-08-04%2001%3A12%3A54&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=41087&static=yes&width=1024&height=743&sok=JURER%20%20%28ZNGPU%20%28nvepensg%2Cnveyvar%2Ccynpr%2Ccu bgb_qngr%2Cpbhagel%2Cerznex%2Ccubgbtencure%2Crznvy%2Clrne%2C ert%2Cnvepensg_trarevp%2Cpa%2Cpbqr%29%20NTNVAFG%20%28%27%2B% 22T-ZNWY%22%27%20VA%20OBBYRNA%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20beqre%20ol%20cub gb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=1&prev_id=&next_id=1056804&size=L

Not sure I like it.

Barnaby the Bear
4th Aug 2006, 08:20
Looks ok to me. Better than the old one.

pipertommy
4th Aug 2006, 09:48
Looks like BMI colours?Do you think ?

Richard Taylor
4th Aug 2006, 09:56
First sign of an Eastern/bmi tie-up?

:} :E

tilewood
4th Aug 2006, 10:16
I don't like that blue, it reminds me of the first Air UK colour scheme.

It was rapidly changed when they discovered that at night the
aircraft could not be seen on the apron, and ramp equipment
kept driving into them!! :=

Mercenary Pilot
4th Aug 2006, 10:34
I like it, i also think it will look smart on the Saab's. :ok:

aeulad
4th Aug 2006, 12:57
MUCH better, I love it!

The old scheme was old fashioned, the new one is striking!

Regards

Mike

DTVAirport
4th Aug 2006, 13:06
When I first saw it I was disappointed, but now, I'm beginning to like it :) :ok:

HH6702
4th Aug 2006, 15:44
Far too much like BMI should be red not blue

Topjet
4th Aug 2006, 16:55
logo looks upside down if you ask me :}

J32/41
21st Aug 2006, 13:07
Does anyone know how things are going for Eastern at Norwich now that Flybe have been in for a few months??

airhumberside
21st Aug 2006, 14:37
Flybe have started MAN and gone double daily to EDI - Eastern have axed these routes

Flybe also announced ABZ but then cancelled it before starting it and Eastern continue to serve the route alongside bmi regional

J32/41
22nd Aug 2006, 15:50
Do you know what happened to the crew that operated the MAN & EDI routes?

:hmm:

ATIS31
22nd Aug 2006, 16:04
Are all the aircraft getting this new paint job including the Jetstream 32s ?

mmeteesside
22nd Aug 2006, 20:41
I wouldn't think the 32's would get it, they'll probably be going soon

Jamesair
22nd Aug 2006, 21:20
There can't be many 32's in the fleet now as as traffic builds up they get replaced by 41's on the thinner routes.

Eastern does a good job and succeeds where a lot of similar carriers have failed. Never hangs around with routes which don't work.

ATIS31
23rd Aug 2006, 12:43
As far as I know there are only 3 x J32s left in the fleet one in service runnning WIC - ABZ and ABZ - SYY the other 2 appear to just sit at ABZ
wonder if the one left is service is going to be changed to a J41 anytime soon :confused:

Richard Taylor
28th Aug 2006, 08:15
Eastern are to launch 4 new routes out of ABZ. No details of where as yet, they are in different stages of development, a couple are at "advanced" stage.

Also to add a 2nd rotation on ABZ-SYY, so whether this means more work for the JS32s left, or if it will be JS41 operated remains to be seen.

Wonder which new routes? Will CWL finally be one, & will any be international.

Good news for ABZ. (Sorry HUY...:} )

Dash-7 lover
28th Aug 2006, 18:54
I would imagine there would be performance issues with the J41 and the 1600m rwy at WIC.

Mister Geezer
28th Aug 2006, 20:29
Which should not be much of a problem for the 41. It will be slightly restricted if I can remember but the 41 is useless for short field ops. When I used to fly the J41 I remember doing a Wick - Luton charter and lifted a fullish load so Wick is not that limiting

Call Established
29th Aug 2006, 12:18
Anyone happen to know if G-BUVC and G-BUVD are in operation with Eastern at the moment or in storage. Also if they are leased or owned outright by Eastern ?

Thanks,

BAforever
29th Aug 2006, 13:12
What do you think of Eastern operating CWL-LCY on a J41 as i would certainly use the service?

cavortingcheetah
29th Aug 2006, 17:58
:hmm:

Perhaps the Eastern limitation out of Wick, with some 1800 metres of runway, would not be so much a take off limit there as a landing weight limit at Aberdeen, through which their southbound flights pass. Since it is probable that the fuel price index is less at Aberdeen than at Wick; I should have thought that a fuel uplift at that through point southwards would be perhaps of a twofold necessity?:)

ATIS31
29th Aug 2006, 18:24
G-BUVD was at Wick today. Also Have seen Eastern taking fuel on at Wick on a number of occasions same with Loganair.

AvianceUK
29th Aug 2006, 22:47
Where have Eastern gone?? The night stop has all but dissapeared... Haven't seen a J41 for days..... What's the story here????

BAforever
31st Aug 2006, 17:09
It might be beacuse theyre only operating Newcatle this summer, Brussels to return Sept 11 when EU parliment re-opens. Hope that helps.

AvianceUK
31st Aug 2006, 23:41
Yep....

Just had a look at Eastern website....

BRU from 11th of SEP.. ( from CWL )

Nice paint job, though does make it look a little BMI!!!!

BAforever
1st Sep 2006, 12:31
Does anyone know when Cardiff-Aberdeen service will start? And what what about other routes?

Richard Taylor
1st Sep 2006, 12:50
They have an ad in the local press here for cabin crew.

However as I'm +5ft 10, I'm out! :ok:

BAforever
1st Sep 2006, 13:13
Are they planning new routes/expansion/ Or are they just short of cabin crew:confused:

Richard Taylor
1st Sep 2006, 14:03
4 more routes out of ABZ.

Think CWL may be one. Possibly LCY another. And a stab in the dark, BRU as another? Which leaves a.n.other other.

Those extra Jetstreams gotta go somewhere!!! :}

TwinAisle
2nd Sep 2006, 11:20
Brussels to return Sept 11 when EU parliment re-opens. Hope that helps.

Think you're wrong here - first flight on the booking engine is 2 October.

BAforever
2nd Sep 2006, 11:31
Sorry but i originally thought it was until AviaceUK said sept 11. Then i edited my post but sorry.:ok:

TwinAisle
2nd Sep 2006, 11:37
My apologies - I just noticed you were quoting someone else.

AvianceUK
5th Sep 2006, 20:01
I'm not lying!!! Honest!!!

When I checked the schedule of CWL-BRU..it said it resumed from September 11th....

Just looked now, and it indeed says October 2nd......

Your guess is as good as mine.....

Cheers....

captainyonder
6th Sep 2006, 15:56
Does anyone have a list of actual crew bases for Eastern? Also, where are the Saab 2000s based?

NickBarnes
6th Sep 2006, 16:06
ones at NWI

mmeteesside
6th Sep 2006, 18:06
They have pilots (and CC) based at the following airports...

Aberdeen, Cardiff, Chester/Hawarden, Durham Tees Valley, Humberside, Inverness, Isle of Man, Leeds/Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham East Midlands, Southampton and Wick

Of which they have Saab 2000 crews at Aberdeen (ABZ-NCL-SOU) and Norwich (NWI-ABZ) and J32 crews I imagine are at Aberdeen and Wick :confused:

HTH
mmeteesside

captainyonder
7th Sep 2006, 00:38
Absolutely perfect mmeteeside! Thanks.

mmeteesside
7th Sep 2006, 15:17
They have also had a CRJ900, Dash 8-400 and ATR42 on trial with them recently (separately!)

mmeteesside

airhumberside
7th Sep 2006, 17:10
Eastern aren't interested in the CRJ-900s (at least that is what they told Airliner World magazine.)

DTVAirport
7th Sep 2006, 17:23
In the Airliner World article they practically ruled out purchasing any new aircraft.

mmeteesside
25th Sep 2006, 19:41
I see they have launched a new website, incorporating their new logo. It is hasn't changed all that much from the last one, but I like it! It certainly puts across the Eastern professional touch.

mmeteesside

ATIS31
25th Sep 2006, 19:55
I see from there Website they only have 2 x J32s left wonder when they are due to leave the Fleet ?

Richard Taylor
25th Sep 2006, 20:17
I want the pretty stewardess back, nice website otherwise! :{ :E

I also notice that IOM is listed as a destination from ABZ (& vice versa) but no flights bookable. Looks like this could be the 1st of the new destinations T3 said they were looking at for ABZ.

juan who nose?
29th Sep 2006, 16:09
Just seen that Eastern Airways won the Gold Regional Airline of the Year award from the European Regional Airline Association!

Quite an achievement (first UK airline ever to win this?)

Congratulations to everyone at Eastern!!

DTVAirport
29th Sep 2006, 16:25
They deserve it!

GLOBUSAIR
29th Sep 2006, 17:55
wel... seem to be the only one saying this.. but that new livery is pants! its really a poor effort, a nasty blue and looks soooo bad on the J41.. the front of the aircraft just looks bland too like that..

it looks like... a really bad virtual airline livery people.. walked past it parked at Leeds and its just as bad stood next to it... yuk :=

Wellington Bomber
30th Sep 2006, 15:17
GlobusAIr

Congratulations, You are the only person to have said this so far, I speak for many people who think that it makes the Jetstream fleet look a lot younger and dynamic, and the new look goes with winning the Gold Award hand in hand:ok:

Computer says NO!
30th Sep 2006, 15:58
IOM is served from ABZ, but via NCL. As far as Iam aware there are no plans to start a direct service from ABZ.

As an aside, G-MAJL is the only one to be painted with the old style bird (albiet upside down) all the rest have the new flag style.

We didnt think that the new livery was that good at first, but when your up close and see them, it certainly grows on you and is a big improvement from the last one. I think everyone is in agreement, there is a little more red required perhaps!!

CSN:ok:

GLOBUSAIR
4th Oct 2006, 21:41
yes,,, more red at the very least.

the thing is... it looks like they just forgot the front of the aircraft! its white with a tiny t3 logo now!

maybe they got a discount on blue paint from B&Q.

yes... better than the last but anything is better than the old job :O

In ref; to G-MAJL ... that was the airframe i walked past at leeds and the change to the tail logo on the rest of the new paint jobs is much better! so i admit thats ok Wellington Bomber.

GLOBUSAIR
7th Oct 2006, 19:25
I dont work for jet2 thanks...

spanishflea
8th Oct 2006, 10:01
Nice to see they are milking all they can get out of that Gold Award! Posters at check in, and big stickers on the cockpit door already.

I must say they thoroughly deserved it, flew with them for the first time on Friday and thoroughly looking forward to doing so again on Monday.

Jamesair
8th Oct 2006, 17:23
good to hear that at least one airline makes flying a pleasant experience.....I was just thinking how really poor the experience has become over the last couple of years.

Wellington Bomber
4th Nov 2006, 14:16
As anybody noticed the latest J41 operating this week from HUY - ABZ the reg no JY

SWBKCB
4th Nov 2006, 16:26
good to hear that at least one airline makes flying a pleasant experience.....I was just thinking how really poor the experience has become over the last couple of years.
A colleague with no particular interest in aviation flew NCL-BHX-NCL the other day and made the same sort of comments - felt like flying on a 'proper' airline (even if it was 'a little thing with propellers!') and the experience compared well against the BA NCL-LHR-NCL they are used to.

skyman771
5th Nov 2006, 11:22
SWBKCB

Have done the NCL-BHX many times & yes they do try and the enthusiasm shows. But at the end of the day it comes down to 'you only get what you pay for' & this is not a Loco operation.

Richard Taylor
5th Nov 2006, 17:26
Do T3 still have their "engineering outstation" or whatever they want to call it out at PIK?

Couple of J41s there at moment, are these bound for T3 or elsewhere, or for breaking-up?

Do T3 expect to expand their J41 fleet, or acquire more S20 for that matter?

mmeteesside
5th Nov 2006, 17:56
Yes I believe there are (at least) 5 still there, bound for Eastern.

I don't think they are planning any more Saab 2000's yet though.

Scott

Cyrano
7th Nov 2006, 14:34
Jenkins:

I don't know when Eastern's J41 leases expire but obviously their lease rentals are non-negotiable until then. Come lease renewal time, of course there's scope for change, but there's not exactly an excess of demand over supply for Jetstreams at the moment so I would have thought that flyBE (if indeed they are the beneficial owners of the aircraft) would just be happy to be getting some revenue stream rather than driving Eastern to take other J41s. So I wouldn't see that as a major threat to Eastern's cost base.

Incidentally, ACAS says that the J41s which Eastern operates but doesn't own are owned by a company called "Trident Aviation Leasing" in Jersey. Are you sure that the ultimate owner of those J41s is BACX/BA Connect (and hence perhaps now flyBE), or did big BA keep the ownership?

C.

spanishflea
7th Nov 2006, 14:49
The Jetstreams were of course around long before BACX/BACON and any of that lot, operating with British Airways Regional. For this reason it is quite possible that BA are the owners of the leases.

If FlyBe do take over the lease they wont be in any position to raise the charges to Eastern, due to the fact that most of the JS41s on the market are currently actively being re-homed. Even if FlyBe withdrew the lease entirely, Eastern would most likely be able to locate a similar number of Jetstreams elsewhere.

At the end of the day I imagine the lease will either remain quietly with BA, or get transferred quietly to FlyBe, with minimum of fuss.

jethro15
7th Nov 2006, 14:58
The BAe Jetstreams transfered from BA Connect is a sub lease arrangement. BA Connect are responsible for returning the a/c to the lessor at the end of the lease arrangement, which at the moment covers a period between 2007 and 2009.

jethro
UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings
http://www.jethros.i12.com

fudpucker
7th Nov 2006, 17:09
Ah, but Eastern sub lease the J41's on favourable terms(or at least they did when BACON, then BACitiexpress, offloaded the fleet i.e. BACON pay part of the leasing costs). I wonder if this cosy arrangement can continue or is this why BACON continues to exist as a company?

Richard Taylor
9th Nov 2006, 19:55
Is it possible that the JS41s that have recently arrived & those about to go into service are to replace the earlier models they have on lease as & when those leases start expiring?

By the way, this evening's tea-time departures southbound out of ABZ (to NCL, MME, HUY, LBA, EMA & NWI) were all running about 1hr late, give or take 5-10mins either side.

Anyone know why this was - could be they were just switching Jetstreams around, can't believe they all went u/s!

I'm wondering if there was some sort of meeting/announcement at ABZ re possible new routes...or it could have been just a traffic jam at ABZ!

Edited: It was a fire alarm at ABZ terminal, someone burned the rowies again. So there WAS an announcement at ABZ...GET OOT O THE TERMINAL!! ;o)

Richard Taylor
23rd Jan 2007, 12:44
Does anyone know what T3 have in mind for the coming year in terms of expansion from the likes of ABZ/MME/HUY/NCL, if anything?

Are all their JS41s employed, or do they have spare capacity?

Any more aircraft (JS41/SB20 or even - E145!) on the horizon or are they happy with what they have.

I know they are due to stop NCL-LCY, & they have alluded to more for ABZ, but nothing has materialized so far.

Would they stick to UK expansion only, or (as with MME-BRU) are they starting to look further afield.

:ok:

red17
23rd Jan 2007, 13:18
From what i can tell T3 have a spare saab 2000 but looks like the j41's are in use. Any IOM plans?? IOM - LCY could work with a j41:bored:

mmeteesside
23rd Jan 2007, 15:58
At the current schedule I believe they have around 5-6 J41's spare and 1-2 Saab 2000's....dumping NCL-LCY from the end of this week gives them another J41 to play with.

SAM-EMA
23rd Jan 2007, 18:28
Do any of you guys think that there is any potential for any more routes out of EMA. For example, IOM hasn't been served for many years after Euromanx pulled off. Is there any chance of a route to LCY because the midlands has not been linked to London since BD came off the routes from EMA and BHX many years ago (surely aircraft as small as T3 operate can satisfy such routes, even though its not far-I would certainly use it).

Thanks
SAM-EMA

ATIS31
23rd Jan 2007, 19:30
Heard a rumour that there was a J41 going to WIC are they going down to a 2 type Aircraft Fleet ? Noticed J31 painted in new livery so maybe not true. :rolleyes:

Richard Taylor
23rd Jan 2007, 19:55
Still 2/3 JS31/2s around, usually G-BUVC/D at ABZ, G-IJYS around somewhere as well I think.

Restricted to WIC-ABZ-SYY-ABZ-WIC.

How are T3 coping vs. the loco competition (especially Flybe). Seen so many rumours that Flybe would compete on routes at NCL & ABZ but thus far they haven't really launched an all-out assault against T3.

At ABZ, only compete on LBA-ABZ, but T3 pulled off BFS-ABZ a couple of years back when BE launched BHD-ABZ, & BE pulled the NWI-ABZ route which T3 fly just as the start date loomed. Also rumours BE would start SOU-ABZ & NCL-ABZ against T3 (& return to launch NWI-ABZ some day), but not come to anything yet.

I do wonder what will happen if/when BE & other locos increasingly start competing on routes that T3 fly.

Or maybe it won't come to that, as T3 are primarily focused on business, & maybe there are just not enough leisure pax to attract locos onto T3 routes, or possibly the markets if there is demand will remain separate markets.

I am a fan of T3 - they are a good & shrewd operator & I am sure they would adapt if change was required.

mmeteesside
23rd Jan 2007, 20:01
BE pulled the NWI-ABZ route which T3 fly just as the start date loomed

I believe this was some sort of agreement between T3 + BE, allowing BE to have NWI-EDI, and T3 to have NWI-ABZ

tescoapp
23rd Jan 2007, 20:37
Do T3 still have their "engineering outstation" or whatever they want to call it out at PIK?

Err I think you find that those J41's have actually gone home to mummy where they were intially made ie British Aerospace.

I would imagine that any increase in numbers of J41's on the British register will have come from the US from the desert. They will have a raft of Engineering changes to be made before they are fit for use in the UK. E.g TCAS fitted, Cockpit doors, BRNav and also any special stuff just for eastern eg a galley.

The fitting of the cockpit door would be a complete bitch with major structural changes which the line maintence hangers available arn't equiped to do.

tightturnaround
23rd Jan 2007, 21:09
Re RT's question - he is in fact corrrect and the facility at PIK is a T3 facility and not BAE, staffed by T3 engineers. Here, the J41 a/c returning from the states are as described stripped down and rebuilt as well as being put through all the various avionics mods required (EGPWS/TCAS etc). Cabins are completely re-furbished, fitted with T3's all-leather seating and as stated galleys are added at the rear (I understand that in the U.S. these a/c operated in 30-seat config with no galley facilities as opposed to T3's 29-seat fit).
Of the 3 remaining J31/2 a/c - I beleive the oldest (G-ys) is now stored at HUY with VC/VD alternating on the Wick/Stornoway as described. These 2 will also be stored from the end of Feb when Wick/Stornoway becomes J41, making the fleet around 25 J41s and 4 S2000's.
Of the Jetstreams - generally 3 are tactical spares while 2 or 3 are on maintenance checks in the HUY hangars, though it seems the oldest BACX aircraft will soon start being returned as the 'new' aircraft come online, and the cancellation of NCL-LCY will I presume release a unit.
The Saabs - constantly rumours this will be increased by 2 or 3 aircraft this year

ATIS31
23rd Jan 2007, 21:50
Cheers for the Info Tightturnaround :ok: . Makes you wonder why they can't source other Aircraft that don't need all that modifications done. Guess
its down to cost ,J41s are probably cheaper than any other Turboprops in the UK with that seat configuration

tescoapp
23rd Jan 2007, 23:00
I wouldn't say that needing a heap of mods is particular to J41's when older aircraft are getting put onto the British reg.

Especially if they have been in the desert for a few years. I should imagine the cabins will be in a pretty poor condition.

And a fleet of 25 is over a quarter of the whole production run.

J41's have a reputation for being quite fast little ships, reasonably reliable and don't use much fuel. And as with all BAE products built like a brick :mad: house.

Is the sim up and running yet?

aeulad
24th Jan 2007, 14:25
They should look closer to home and route the MME-BRU route via HUY and launch Humberside to Copenhagen, Esbjerg and Paris CDG.

Regards

Mike

Andy_S
24th Jan 2007, 14:33
One suspects they've already thought of that.

aeulad
24th Jan 2007, 15:28
Oh, and a HUY-Southampton would'nt go a miss either!

Regards

Mike

Get me some traffic
24th Jan 2007, 18:24
What about MME - Bournemouth?

mmeteesside
24th Jan 2007, 18:31
a) They don't serve Bournemouth
b) They already fly NCL-SOU and LBA-SOU

Just 2 reasons why they won't start MME-BOH :ugh:

DTVAirport
24th Jan 2007, 18:43
MME-BHD/BFS/IOM/LCY would all be good ones I reckon.

Richard Taylor
24th Jan 2007, 19:40
We can all play the guessing game I suppose.

ABZ to KOI/LSI/HAU/AES/RTM/CWL. Perm any one from that lot!

Of course, only people who'll decide if potential yields & loads are worth the risk are T3.

I have wondered however why they have not launched more from HUY, which is their base after all, or MME.

bmibaby.com
24th Jan 2007, 19:55
Any news on how the EMA-ABZ route is doing? Considering EMA is very much a low-cost market, I've heard the route has been struggling a little bit, soon maybe going down to just twice daily.

oliema
24th Jan 2007, 19:57
Small routes across the UK are needed. Big Airlines havent got the small aircraft. Eastern Airways do. They could fly everywhere. I thought about Bournemouth as a base but again as you said its close to Southampton. But what about Glasgow Preswick to Liverpool, Doncaster, Newcastle, Humberside, they could have quite a few routes from there. East Midlands to Aberdeen, Inverness, Exeter even. They could have loads of routes but they dont seem to get these ideas:\ .

Jerbourg
24th Jan 2007, 20:21
I would love to see Eastern operate a route or two to Guernsey, we badly need a connection to Leeds-Bradford ,EMA or even Doncaster.

Richard Taylor
24th Jan 2007, 20:30
EMA-ABZ certainly has been reduced from 4 rotations to 3, whether that is because of falling pax/yields I'm not sure. Would be surprised if they dropped it further to 2, but at some point I do feel EMA-ABZ could become a loco route, I would say bmi Baby may fancy a crack at it. If/when that happens, T3 may not think it worth continuing.

Similarly LBA-ABZ especially now with Flybe for company could see changes in future but for now T3 continue with 3 rotations M-F.

However T3 will certainly I feel put up a fight on ABZ routes down the east coast - lots of lovely high yield oil business traffic, which is where EMA/LBA perhaps differ.

Get me some traffic
24th Jan 2007, 20:41
FRA/FPL (Flight Refuelling if you're my age) have their main base at HH and their northern base at NV. There is a constant movement of personnel between the two units. An airline with the right equipment (24-40 seats) would support two rotations a day between the two. Eastern seems to me to be the obvious choice.

bmibaby.com
24th Jan 2007, 20:46
EMA-ABZ certainly has been reduced from 4 rotations to 3, whether that is because of falling pax/yields I'm not sure. Would be surprised if they dropped it further to 2, but at some point I do feel EMA-ABZ could become a loco route, I would say bmi Baby may fancy a crack at it. If/when that happens, T3 may not think it worth continuing.

If bmibaby adds a sixth aircraft, then I can imagine that this might be to add a twice daily Aberdeen flight, then others destinations filling in the voids, especially with the apparent success of the BHX-ABZ route. The EMA market is very much a low-cost market, and British Midland used to do quite well on the ABZ with what I think was a Fokker 70. Ryanair won't do ABZ, though the new four times weekly INV starts next month.

niknak
25th Jan 2007, 00:15
I cant ever see T3 going low cost.

Their business model is and always has been to price fares against the first class return rail far and market it on the basis of if you had a days business to conduct, how long it would take to travel by road or rail there and back and how much time would that leave you compared to a an air service which got you there first thing and allowed you to depart as late as possible, still allowing you to be home and refreshed at a reasonable hour.

It seeems to have worked for them so far and suspect it will for a long time to come, mainly because the low cost airlines cannot afford to operate from the majority of airports at the times which Eastern do.

Andy_S
25th Jan 2007, 07:58
Small routes across the UK are needed. Big Airlines havent got the small aircraft. Eastern Airways do. They could fly everywhere....... They could have loads of routes but they dont seem to get these ideas

They may have small aircraft, but they don't have small fares...... Eastern specialise in niche routes where there's a small but regular business led market able and willing to pay high prices. The offshore oil / gas industry is a good example.

I'm quite sure T3 DO have lot's of ideas, but unlike the arrmchair airline CEO's they have to consider the commercial viability of routes.

Wellington Bomber
25th Jan 2007, 08:33
Richard Taylor

I am led to believe that when BE started LBA-SOU the loads on T3 were terrible down to sometimes 4 pax on each flight. All the regulars of T3 sampled the BE service and now the loads are back in their 20's, with many customers saying that the product was not very good or reliable, so I am sure the same will apply on the LBA-ABZ.

With regards to people mentioning LCY from small regionals, the new owners want to attract larger aircraft and have therefore doubled charges which is why T3 have dumped the LCY route from NCL and I am sure they will not start another service from another airport to LCY.

I have also heard that WIC - ABZ -SYY is going J41 from mid February

With regards to Baby doing EMA- ABZ , I know that Baby are doing well with BHX - ABZ but to have 2 737's going from airports which are only half hour away from each other is a bit overkill which is not predominantly leisure traffic

airhumberside
25th Jan 2007, 09:15
FRA/FPL (Flight Refuelling if you're my age) have their main base at HH and their northern base at NV. There is a constant movement of personnel between the two units. An airline with the right equipment (24-40 seats) would support two rotations a day between the two. Eastern seems to me to be the obvious choice.
Wheres HH and NV?

Wellington Bomber
25th Jan 2007, 09:20
Air Humberside

HH - Bournemouth
NV - Durham Tees Valley or Teesside to everybody

red17
25th Jan 2007, 10:40
Any chance of an IOM - MAN service with T3. The potential is there, a large amount of the flights by BACON on this route are business pax. There was talk that if BACON pulled off this route T3 would move in. Ok the route will still exist under BE but it would be good to see someone stand up to euromanx (3w) because if BE decide that IOM isn't for them then 3w will be able to do what they like.

Richard Taylor
25th Jan 2007, 12:22
With thanks to Wellington Bomber. :ok:

Are T3 close to announcing anything new for ABZ beyond the upgrade on the WIC & SYY routes?

San Expiry
25th Jan 2007, 13:36
red 17 - you're doing a lot of trawling on several threads concerning IOM, looking as if your'e batting for some of the sides and have it in for others. Questions about Cityflyer to London City to knock euromanx out and now Eastern to Manchester to do the same. Care to divulge your interest in the goings on on Fraggle?

ATIS31
25th Jan 2007, 18:43
Are WIC and SYY Aircraft upgrade due to Passenger numbers or just T3 going to a 2 type operation. What like are the loads on ABZ - SYY any additional services other than 1 a day ?

Richard Taylor
25th Jan 2007, 19:39
I am sure Eastern announced last year (from the winter timetable) that ABZ-SYY was going double-daily M-F but they changed their mind.

I think it was because the unit used on the WIC service couldn't fulfil the proposed extra SYY rotation at the times Eastern wanted it to.

At present the SYY is fitted in between the late morning WIC arrival/late afternoon WIC departure.

Again, I think Eastern have said previously that ideally they would want better timings for business pax, which may come eventually, say one morning flight & an evening flight.

Wellington Bomber
26th Jan 2007, 08:27
Eastern Sim up and running just heard

Serenity
27th Jan 2007, 13:02
Surely T3 can`t abandon the London area completely! I know LCY is now really expensive, how about routes from LTN?
With the M25 being widened and the new high speed links into the city, surely this will be a hit for buisnessmen and comuters to 2012.

Richard Taylor
27th Jan 2007, 13:24
As of now do T3 still have a presence at PIK - are they expecting to repatriate any more 41s from the US deserts?

tonto68
17th Jul 2008, 02:06
Anyone heard anything about the two planes at HUY that have had problems with their undercarriage? Two full emergencies have been called within 3 days at HUY and the latest one (16/7/08) even suggested that it may ditch in the sea.

ATIS31
17th Jul 2008, 20:22
Anyone know what happened to the INV Crew where are they relocated to ?

Single Spey
18th Jul 2008, 16:59
FlyBe :)

Alternatively, Aberdeen ...

j41cac
21st Aug 2008, 03:22
Kept on by Eastern.

Something to be announced soon i'm told.

Watch this space.

:ok:

Hotel Uniform Yankee
21st Aug 2008, 07:02
What would that be, an Embrarer sim at HUY

Richard Taylor
21st Aug 2008, 08:02
Have you won the contract for the transportation of oil personnel between ABZ & Scatsta? Flightline had been rumoured to have lost it when it renews in Feb?

Just guessing, mind! :}

airhumberside
21st Aug 2008, 14:32
3rd party training, or a new aircraft type for the fleet?

(Eastern have operated ERJ-135/145 in the past though)

jetstreamtechrecords
5th Sep 2008, 14:14
picking up BE route perhaps:ok:

G-JECL
5th Sep 2008, 16:45
Maybe theyve finally got slots to operate IOM-LCY?

JulietNovemberPapa
13th Sep 2008, 07:42
I was at ABZ on Thur flying down to LGW with BE.

I noticed that in about a 30-minute period 2 T3 flights were delayed because of technical problems and another flight was over 1 hour delayed.

Richard Taylor
13th Sep 2008, 09:23
Eastern do try & get you to your destination. Aircraft do go tech, happens to all airlines.

How are T3 riding out the present climate? For instance, my local (ABZ) has seen a sustained drop in domestic pax, are T3 being affected by this?

Despite the Crunch, are they looking at expansion, or are any plans on the back burner until better times come around?

Cloud1
13th Sep 2008, 12:36
Congratulations Scratchingthesky, another example of a forum user who likes to post anything but the facts. :=

Try to do a little bit of investigating before you talk such nonsense.

UKpaxman
14th Sep 2008, 21:31
Cloud1 - you'll be glad to know that the Flybe 17:00 from Aberdeen to Gatwick went tech today and was cancelled, is this not exactly what Scratchingthesky said earlier.

Kiltie
14th Sep 2008, 23:30
I can vouch that Eastern have always made it their priority to substitute another aircraft at any cost to ensure the flight departs. This is in keeping with their business traveller focus, with associated generally higher fare.

Der absolute Hammer
15th Sep 2008, 05:24
Flew Eastern last year, Aberdeen south.
Big bucks for ticket, flight overbooked, two pax off loaded. No offer of ticket on other airline given. Just wanted two volunteers to not travel.
Cannot see reason for over booking premium money flight.

jetstreamtechrecords
15th Sep 2008, 06:53
look at what BE do to their pax on BHX IOM and what Eastern do and youll see why its worth paying a few quid more for Eastern:ok:

Cloud1
16th Sep 2008, 22:15
Working for the airline themselves I am telling you that the airline does not simply cancel a flight. There is no point in arguing with you because you already have an opinion which you will stick to based on 'experience' without actually looking at the bigger picture, and I feel pitty for you in that respect because you claim to have knowledge about the aviation industry. It is nothing personal and please do not take offense, but it is clear that there are many users of this forum that fall into a particular category and it isn't pretty - namely 'one or two flights and they know the whole operation'. You may be an experienced traveler but when your flying on that one flight just think about the other 450 operating that day. How an earth you can compare Flybe operations to the likes of Eastern is beyond me! :ugh:

And as for Eastern being better at combining etc......I believe Flybe do that too when absolutely required. Nothing special you know - many airlines do it. Out of curiosity how many passengers do Eastern carry per annum compared to Flybe? How many aircraft do Flybe have compared to Eastern? How much experience does Flybe (Management) have at running an airline compared to Eastern? These are not to be answered necessarily but I am just trying to make a point - they are my employer and we work dam hard to ensure that our operations are as smooth as possible and it is quite irritating to see criticism when the supporting evidence is so weak.

Kind regards

airhumberside
21st Sep 2008, 21:11
While holding slots doesn't mean they have to be used, Eastern have slots at AMS for a LCY sdrvice from January 2009. They also hold slots for an INV service again

virginblue
22nd Sep 2008, 11:27
The AMS slots certainly have to do with the VLM takeover by the AF/KL-group. Surrender of a sufficient number of slots enabling a competitor to start up on AMS-LCY is one of the conditions for an approval by the OFT. I do not see, though, how Eastern could expect to win against a combined VG/KL force on this route. Even after surrendering some slots they will have more than a dozen or so daily flights plus worldwide connections at AMS plus a decent FFP. But maybe it is just part of a bigger game - better for Skyteam to have a "competitor" like Eastern than Star or Oneworld entering the AMSLCY market. Might be for Eastern's gain if they start up INVAMS....

AirLCY
22nd Sep 2008, 12:43
They will also have a oneworld competitor - BA already operate LCYAMS!

Jamesair
22nd Sep 2008, 17:01
I would like to see them have a go at an ABZ - NCL - LCY route with the S2000, twice daily M - F

Richard Taylor
22nd Sep 2008, 17:11
Are their Saab 2000s utilised fully at the moment, or is there plenty scope to utilise them more fully? Are they still looking for more?

Cpt. Chaos
23rd Sep 2008, 07:57
Rumour has it, that there are two more winging their way to Eastern in the very near future...:mad: before the New Year at least..

j41cac
4th Oct 2008, 21:52
I dont know but have heard that eastern are in talks on the IOM re IOM-AMS and IOM-LCY. Is there any truth or is this normal hearsay?

egnxema
6th Oct 2008, 11:03
So, can anyone at HUY tell us if T3 plan to start AMS LCY services in January with the slots they got from KLM?

IOMspotter
7th Oct 2008, 18:38
AMS-LCY-IOM-LCY-AMS am. AMS LCY IOM LCY AMS pm. SAAB 2000:cool:

Flightrider
7th Oct 2008, 21:14
I think if you were to assume an 8 x daily LCY-AMS service, with a Saab 2000 based at each end of the route working against each other, you might be rather closer to the plan. There is no sign of Eastern taking on IOM-LCY. The move onto AMS-LCY looks like a last-ditch effort to irritate someone sufficiently so that they buy Eastern.

Flybe seem hell-bent on crushing Eastern and so the prospect of them buying it is remote. If you look at the most recent set of Eastern accounts, they made a profit of £4m and £2.4m of that was paid out in dividends to the directors. This resulted in Eastern having less cash in the bank at the end of its financial year than before, reducing from £2.6m to £1.4m in the bank. To say that this is extravagant in relation to the size of the company would be an understatement akin to saying that Abraham Lincoln didn't enjoy his trip to the theatre.

Skipness One Echo
7th Oct 2008, 23:46
AMS-LCY has to be the London City route with the most overcapacity already with both KLM and VLM being recently joined by BA Cityflyer. What would Eastern bring to the table except mounting losses?

mmeteesside
8th Oct 2008, 00:02
Is this supposed new AMS-LCY not a contract for KLM? I seem to remember they were supposed to start INV-AMS for KLM so going in direct competition with them from LCY may not be a clever idea?! :hmm:

DTVAirport
8th Oct 2008, 07:24
Well we all know how quick Eastern are to axe failing routes, so we shouldn't have to wait too long to find out if it's been a success or not.

egnxema
8th Oct 2008, 10:48
Its nigh on impossible to get hold of slots at peak times now at LCY, unless like T3 you get hold of someone elses - in this case KLM Cityhopper's.

T3 could only do IOM if they use some of the LCYAMS slots instead, unless they want to flew off peak to IOM, which is not much good for most business pax.

jetstreamtechrecords
8th Oct 2008, 21:35
Maybe better slightly off peak LCY IOM than not at all? I'm sure Dickie could do a very friendly deal to provide competition (but not too much) on AMS as part of slot swap and keep competition authority off KLM/VLM/AF.:ooh:

airhumberside
9th Oct 2008, 15:23
Last year Kaupthing, the Icelandic bank nationalised today, provided finance to Eastern. I dont want to scare-monger but have Eastern still got any exposure to them?
Regional airline gets Birmingham investment - Birmingham Post (http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/tm_method=full&objectid=20265078&siteid=50002-name_page.html)

jetstreamtechrecords
11th Oct 2008, 16:46
its not if I'd borrowed money from the Icelandics I'd worry...it's if I'd lent them mine. :{I'm sure Richard's got his millions safely under an english matress not an icelandic one.;)

niknak
11th Oct 2008, 20:12
It doesn't matter if the finance came from an Icelandic Bank or the Clangers, it's not Eastern's problem.
Just as it wouldn't be if your High Street Bank went under with you owing them money - the debt just gets sold on to whoever takes them over or buys the assets.

Another Sir Dickie admitted this morning that Virgin Airlines had most of their liquid day to day operating cash tied up with HBOS, a sum of over £20m, and that when they tried to move it they found the safe door at HBOS firmly closed.
The bearded one freely admitted that had they not been able to rely on getting cash quickly transferred from his own and "other resources" (I assume within the group), they would have probably had to temporarily cease operating a number of profitable services or even shut down all together.

Tonyq
12th Oct 2008, 08:15
What you say is essentially correct, although the bank acquiring the debt may well have a different view of 'credit risk' and therefore be less willing to continue to advance funds on the same basis.

This comment is not specific to this airline, but is a general fact in such situations.

waterpau
12th Oct 2008, 12:37
I agree with Tonyq, but does anyone know what type of 'financing' Kaupthing S&F provided? Was it a loan, sale and leaseback facility, etc.?

Singer and Friedlander have (or at least used to have before the merger with Kaupthing) a sizeable asset management division. My only real worry would be if Eastern use assets leased from Kaupthing; do Eastern own the SAABs?

waterpau

mmeteesside
15th Oct 2008, 19:56
Anyone know the reason behind Eastern using the Saab from Norwich on all the afternoon flights from Durham Tees to Aberdeen today? KB positioned in from NWI and flew the 586/7/8/9 (66L/67L/68L/69L) before positioning back to NWI this evening! Short of J41 crew :} or big loads :ok: ???

SNAEFELL77
23rd Oct 2008, 12:45
LCY here we come :ok: The airline the city has been waiting for :)

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/Mergers_home/consultations/air-france (http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/Mergers_home/consultations/air-france)

egnxema
24th Oct 2008, 14:23
That's right SNAEFELL - an airline with consistently high fares and a history of ditching LCY within months of starting ops. (NCL LCY)

Good luck!

niknak
24th Oct 2008, 15:25
Thats certainly an ambitious proposal - LCY/AMS up to 8 times a day - against AFKLM.
It remains to be seen if they operate all the flights, but they will be operating the first flight out and last flight back to and from AMS, both of which will be nearly an hour earlier and later than AFKLM, which is bound to appeal to the business traveller.
I don't suppose that all that many folk going to AMS from LCY really need to interline, or if they want to they will for the most part, only be carrying light luggage for a few nights in Europe, so if Eastern can't get that facility in AMS it won't be the end of the world.
Given their much lower operating costs v the monolith that is AFKLM, they can easily match the fares,even if they were discounted by the opposition.

Hope it goes well for them.

fredtheanorak
24th Oct 2008, 15:50
Price war on AMS LCY? If you were AF would you sell to someone who'd cut prices? Nope, nice cosy high fare route itll be but with Eastern's good looking trolley dollys :Dand free champers. Theyll all do very nicely thankyou:ok:

mmeteesside
24th Oct 2008, 20:29
Good news for Eastern that! Seems a very clever move from AF/KL too.

Anyone know the reason behind Eastern using Saabs on all Durham Tees-Aberdeen's today? While a J41 sat spare all day, joined by a 2nd when it arrived from Haugesund at lunchtime (well, 1150) - are they short of J41 crew or are the loads just too big for the J41's to cope with? Surely they don't oversell by that many?! :confused:

Benj
26th Oct 2008, 14:53
Just short of J41 captains at the moment

turbroprop
28th Oct 2008, 21:15
Have any been short listed to fly Thunderbird Three parked outside the Sim Hangar? Hope it gets painted in Eastern Colours.

jamestkirk
30th Oct 2008, 13:35
I am a sci-fi fan so hopefully they will choose me. I might need to lose some weight though to look good in the uniform. And I want a ray gun.

Is that where T3 comes from?

virginblue
30th Oct 2008, 14:47
How are they going to operate 8 daily flights between LCY and AMS if the proposed new route gets off the ground? They will need at least 2 Saab 2000s for that route, with one each being based at LCY and AMS according to the proposed schedule. If I am not mistaken, they only have 6 on strength.

airhumberside
30th Oct 2008, 18:22
The Thunderbird 3 at HUY arrived a couple of months ago from Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Dont think its anything to do with the origin of the T3 code

turbroprop
30th Oct 2008, 18:35
Hi Virginblue

I would be supprised if planning a new route from point A to point B that the question has not been asked. Can we do it with the planes we have or do we need some more?

UKpaxman
30th Oct 2008, 18:52
Thunderbird 3 will be for the ABZ SCS service:E

Wellington Bomber
30th Oct 2008, 19:47
2 more SAABs arrive next month

pjjohnst
10th Nov 2008, 12:41
Its just been announced in Shetland that Eastern have gotten the IAC contract at Scatsta with SAAB 2000's - Let the fun begin :rolleyes:

UKpaxman
10th Nov 2008, 14:49
That's funny, I remember exactly the same comments when Flightline took over from BWA. Who knows, maybe the IAC do know what they're doing:ooh:

mikehammer
10th Nov 2008, 15:34
Just goes to show you not to listen to rumours - I heard it was FLYBE who'd won it. DOH!

garrygaz
10th Nov 2008, 18:38
So whats the probability that Eastern will move their Ops to ABZ, which will be its busiest hub by far?

Richard Taylor
10th Nov 2008, 19:05
It's the interim contract they've won, taking them to Jul 2010. Wonder if that puts them in pole position for the contract "proper" when it's put out to tender at the end of this month.

As for moving from HUY, cannot see that, all their main infrastructure is there, they would have to build at ABZ I would have thought if they wanted to move HQ.

UKpaxman
10th Nov 2008, 20:35
Wasn't it the same position with Flightline - did they not pick up an interim contract when BWA folded which then led to them being awarded the main contract?

Richard Taylor
10th Nov 2008, 20:38
UKpaxman

Yeah, that's how I remember it as well. Still couldn't beat the whine of the BAF Viscounts though! :ok:

Wheeliebin
11th Nov 2008, 07:43
UKpaxman RT

You guys are correct. Flightline took it almost overnight in Dec 01 after BWA went pear shape, then awarded interim contract and subsequently main contract which was to run until July 2010. Thence they've lost it in the current fiasco, to the "modern, quieter more comfortable SAAB 2000". (Quoted from pax info flyer)

UKpaxman
11th Nov 2008, 08:34
Hmm, my understanding was that Flightline didn't lose it to the Saab 2000, Flightline lost the contract full stop.

Richard, the whining never went away, it seems to reappear every time this contract comes up for grabs:ooh:

Wheeliebin
11th Nov 2008, 09:05
UKpaxman

Correct 100% Flightline lost contract, only themselves to blame. I didn't se my post as a whine. Just agreeing with your comments on the history of the matter and passing on the info that the traveling oil workers have been given.

Richard Taylor
11th Nov 2008, 09:07
Apologies for thread drift, but does anyone know what Flightline did so wrong to have the contract taken away?

Wheeliebin
11th Nov 2008, 09:52
RT

Probably not the place to expose the reasons. Needless to say that Flightline are aware of them and hopefully, down at the mouth of the Thames, they are being addressed. Also worth observing is that if they were of such a serious nature, then they would not be continuing to operate until Feb 7.

What I will say is the IAC indicated that they were happy with the Aberdeen part of the operation. The 146 giving the "best service they've ever had". That being the case, it is a bit hard to understand - I know !

WB

Richard Taylor
11th Nov 2008, 10:18
Ta WB. I always thought operationally at ABZ anyway FLT had done a reliable job.

However I am sure Eastern will do likewise, when they start the interim contract.

When the two 2000s arrive to augment that fleet, taking into account the LCYAMS route they are to commence, will they have enough of the type to fulfill their commitments, bearing in mind three of them will being engaged on up to four round trips M-F for the IAC? Also taking into account ABZOSL which they recently announced as well.

Wheeliebin
11th Nov 2008, 11:16
RT

I wish them the very best. SCS is a challenging airfield, but I'm sure that with the right training they will do well.

It's a small world aviation. Who knows, in the current economic climate there could be the odd Flightline crew heading to "090" up the W5D. Not sure about those hats and yellow ties !!! :)

WB

UKpaxman
11th Nov 2008, 11:18
WB - whining comment wasn't aimed at you - there's a number of posters who just seem to think it's always the wrong decision before the operation has even started. There was the same comments before the 146's arrived (old unreliable aircraft, not suited for SCS, too expensive for route, blah, blah...)

Wheeliebin
11th Nov 2008, 11:31
No problem Mr Paxman
Cheers WB

niknak
11th Nov 2008, 11:36
Good news for Eastern.

I can't see why they'd need to move anything to ABZ except expand their handling facilities there. The Head Office & Operations Dept are ideally situated at HUY, it's cheap to keep them and the staff there.

Additionally, good news for pilots and crews who are looking for work, even if it's not directly onto the SAAB I understand T3 are looking for JS41 staff.

Drink Up Thee Cider
11th Nov 2008, 12:03
Where will the aircraft come from? Will this mean cuts to the Eastern scheduled service in order to actually have enough aircraft to fly SCS?

garrygaz
11th Nov 2008, 16:22
I don't think it as simple as Eastern expanding their existing handling agents staff. Flightline's current staff will be entitled to TUPE and I am sure their existing terms and conditions are pretty good, almost certainly better than Regional Handling, Eastern will possibly need to directly employ Flightline Staff, at least in the short term.

john2408
11th Nov 2008, 20:37
2 Saab 2000's due to arrive in December,either to HUY or ABD.

Liobian
12th Nov 2008, 20:26
So, with a/c expected, anyone know when Eastern are due to commence this oil run ?

BAAdboy
12th Nov 2008, 21:25
Looks like last flights by FLT 146s on Friday 6th Feb 2009 with EZE Saabs commencing from Monday 9th Feb 2009.

mancairboy
17th Nov 2008, 18:28
friend has told me eastern to withdraw flights from manchester can
anyone confirm this have tried to book online for december
but response is no flight available

egnxema
17th Nov 2008, 18:48
Any news if/when EZE are going to announce the LCY AMS flights for sale?

airhumberside
17th Nov 2008, 19:51
friend has told me eastern to withdraw flights from manchester can
anyone confirm this have tried to book online for december
but response is no flight available
It wasnt that long ago Eastern added a 4th daily to STN, and awarded a new handling contract at MAN

EDIT - Eastern website shows last flight 28th of this month

Wellington Bomber
18th Nov 2008, 19:01
When Eastern originally operated Manchester - Stansted it was a very profitable route and had lots of supporters.

Unfortunately, when Air Berlin operated this route and offered fares at next to nothing the passenger thought that Eastern were taking the mick with prices. Obviously Air Berlin could not sustain the low fares as they soon pulled of the route.

Eastern then restarted the service but only got the really loyal supporters of the original service at the appropriate fares to justify a regular service 3 to 4 times a day. Sadly not enough people returned and therefore the service has ended. Well done LCC's

brown1950
19th Nov 2008, 20:20
Eastern could be a bit premature with stopping the service Manchester-Stansted with AirAsia X due to commence service to Kuala Lumpur in March09 ?

Skipness One Echo
20th Nov 2008, 10:16
What's the point of connecting onto a flight to Manchester that will cost as much as your flight from Asia????? That's nuts!

virginblue
20th Nov 2008, 10:39
So with "just" 2 more Saab 2000s arriving and a need for at least 4 additional Saabs for the Shetland's contract AND the new AMS route, which routes will face a downgrade from the Saab 2000 to the Jetstream 41?

PaulW
20th Nov 2008, 13:31
The current saab fleet is not used purely for schedule, one saab based in norwich and two in aberdeen that leaves three purely for charter work plus, the two joining. So I doubt any flights will be downgraded.

Wheeliebin
20th Nov 2008, 13:33
What is the general feeling, within Eastern, regards all Aberdeen Flightline employees becoming part of Eastern? This due to the "TUPE" regulations requiring them to continue operating on the Scatsta contract.

StraightLevel
20th Nov 2008, 21:13
Do you know for definite that they will be automatically "TUPE'd" accross to Eastern?

Have a look at:

TUPE - a guide to the regulations (http://www.tssa.org.uk/article-46.php3?id_article=1382)

Quote below from above website:

Transfers not covered by the Regulations

The Regulations do not apply to the following:
http://www.tssa.org.uk/puce.gif transfers by share take-over because, when a company’s shares are sold to new shareholders, there is no transfer of the business - the same company continues to be the employer;
http://www.tssa.org.uk/puce.gif transfers of assets only (for example, the sale of equipment alone would not be covered, but the sale of a going concern including equipment would be covered);
http://www.tssa.org.uk/puce.gif transfers of a contract to provide goods or services where this does not involve the transfer of a business or part of a business;
http://www.tssa.org.uk/puce.gif transfers of undertakings situated outside the United Kingdom.

Looks like the third one down applies to Eastern's aquisition of the IAC contract.

Wheeliebin
20th Nov 2008, 22:30
I believe TUPE applies. I also understand that the management of both Airlines accept that it applies.

Most importantly perhaps, Bristows and the IAC who will ultimately will be meeting the costs involved, expect it to be applied.

mini-jumbo
21st Nov 2008, 08:21
StraightLevel

I believe the website you've linked to may be out of date.

The TUPE regulations were revised in 2006. As a result, TUPE now applies to contracts being re assigned, where as before the revision, as you stated, it wouldn't have applied.

The new regulations can be found here: http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file20761.pdf

StraightLevel
21st Nov 2008, 11:12
Thanks for that mini-jumbo.

I assumed t'internet was the information super highway with all the relevant/uptodate info at your fingertips. I was wrong. Lesson learned.:O

Sorry if I have misled anyone.

I'll re-ask Wheeliebin's original question on his behalf below.

"What is the general feeling, within Eastern, regards all Aberdeen Flightline employees becoming part of Eastern? This due to the "TUPE" regulations requiring them to continue operating on the Scatsta contract."

Meeb
21st Nov 2008, 19:02
I think you will find that TUPE in Aviation is more restricted than in general industry.

As usual with aviation any rights the workers have is secondary to the almighty dollar... :rolleyes:

Flightline employees will not have right of transfer to Eastern. :*

Flightrider
22nd Nov 2008, 09:26
I think wheeliebin is right - the right of TUPE does exist and I understand that both airlines have accepted that employees will be TUPE'd across to Eastern along with the contract.

Wheeliebin
22nd Nov 2008, 09:33
Meeb

In this case it will apply. Lawyers have given their assurance, and the customer is paying for the extra cost involved. In the fullness of time, this will prove to be the case. Therefore back to my original post, I was interested in the general feeling, within the two companies, on the forthcoming integration of crews.

PaulW
22nd Nov 2008, 13:17
This is all just speculation. So in the fullness in time all will be revealed. Eastern always need new cabin crew in ABZ i can see them being used, but flight crew, they are still employed by Flightline, Eastern are not taking on the flightlines assets ie its aircraft so why would crew come with the contract. One company loses business another gains it. Its in flightlines interest now to get other business and keeps its crews employed. Anyway the cabin crew are much more likely to be local than the majority of the flight crew. Not sure why you would want to refuse duties other than skatsta, would you like to go to sardinia or switzerland for the week, or an early stavangar and be back by half nine in the morning.. No I wont to sit around in a wet and windy airport crew room for hours waiting for a helicopter to arrive.

Wheeliebin
22nd Nov 2008, 13:29
Flatbroke

I agree it's good news for Flightline management - no relocation or redundancy costs. Probably not too bad for Eastern either. The numbers taking the TUPE will be relatively high, I would guess, in the current climate and the fact that they all live in Aberdeen.

Mister Geezer
22nd Nov 2008, 15:34
Flightline will probably have no need for any of the ABZ crew it makes sense to transfer those over. Some of the crews do not wish to move to a prop but some will be happy to remain in ABZ so there will be mixed feelings I guess.

Paul W

Most of the flight crew will be doing their best to make sure they only operate to SCS and do nothing else. Those who wish to remain in ABZ do so for the lifestyle and not necessarily the flying. The thought of being exposed to the rest of the Eastern network will hold little appeal since that will not give them the free weekends in addition to the civilised working hours that they enjoy.

Wheeliebin
22nd Nov 2008, 16:00
A little bit of Scatsta experience on the flightdeck would not be a bad thing on a black, wet & windy morning in mid winter. I believe Eastern have asked if Flightline pilots can be released for training prior to Feb 7, which is rumoured to be approved.

PaulW
22nd Nov 2008, 17:47
on the saab different on the jetstream, you get most weekends off, so no change. Why be so negative..

Mister Geezer
22nd Nov 2008, 18:56
on the saab different on the jetstream, you get most weekends off, so no change. Why be so negative..

I am not being negative but just telling you how it is. The majority of the Flightline crews in ABZ have been around the European racetrack and are more than happy to potter up and down to the Shetlands and have no desire to go to anywhere else. You can't blame them really when a late finish is getting back after 1800! This could change under Eastern but it is unlikely to be as hectic as the Eastern scheduled network.

I believe Eastern have asked if Flightline pilots can be released for training prior to Feb 7, which is rumoured to be approved.

Was that a Pig zooming past my front door??? :}

Wheeliebin
22nd Nov 2008, 19:18
Mr G,

If there is money in for Flightline (crews from down Sth bought in for those released will be charged to IAC) believe me they will do it.

WB

Mister Geezer
23rd Nov 2008, 01:22
You have to have the crews first and here lies the problem. A handful at the very most will be able to go early onto a Saab course but that will be at a push.

PaulW
23rd Nov 2008, 13:48
Your living in a dream world, you think Eastern dont have the crews to operate Skatsta on Feb 9th? The Fos are hardly doing any work at the moment because the company is so busy line training new direct entry captains and fos at the moment. Aside from that, Eastern aircraft have occasionally been into Skatsta before, and certainly have pilots that have been there before. Its Cat C for us so crews will be getting training for it anyway. Eastern have a few other oil contract routes, I dont remember pilots from the companies that Eastern successfully bid against, being tuped across, its not gonna happen this time. In time, certainly Eastern will offer an olive branch to one or two local captains, who, they know will stay because they want to be in Aberdeen, when they apply, but it wont be tupe. The cabin crew may well be offered postions on eastern ts and cs, like I said before Eastern always need cabin crew in Aberdeen.

Ive just changed shopping from my local tesco to asda, will they be tupe-ing over some staff, I dont think so.

Wheeliebin
23rd Nov 2008, 15:14
Not sure who's in the dream world ? If you have the management of both companies in agreement that TUPE applies to Flightdeck, I would assume it's going to happen. Also, I think you'll find the vast majority of pilots are settled in ABZ.

PaulW
23rd Nov 2008, 18:37
Well we shall see what happens then, we have crews for eight saabs on line or in training and currently have six. We are in the midst of line training lots of new recruits for these new aircraft, if the majority of ABZ flightline crews were coming across that would be difficult to understand. Im only telling you what is happening right now. Whether its what you want to hear or not thats up to you. One or two flightline pilots may get jobs but not the whole base, thats the future which has yet to be decided. Ask yourself these questions? How could Easterns Aberdeen base absorb a whole bases worth of crew? Would you be busy training new pilots if you had a load coming anyway from another airline? I wouldnt be too complacent about automatically coming to Eastern and start applying; which I'm sure you are. We do need a few jetstream captains tho.. Hey if it happens well done, thats a great deal you will have secured, and everyone at aberdeen will look forward to flying with you.

airfixed
23rd Nov 2008, 19:22
Unfortunately PW you appear not to understand the law reagrding TUPE. This is quite different from merely changing your supermarket allegence. The law is there to protect workers on an existing contract when that contract is awarded to another supplier. Therefore ALL Flightline employees who have been involved in the IAC contract must by law be taken on by Eastern. The employer (and the employees) have no option. If a Flightline pilot, engineer, check in staff etc... do not want to be TUPE'd they must resign without any redundancy - and I think that extremely unlikely. If Eastern do not want to employ them then after a specific period of time they must give the employee notice and pay them redundancy.
As I understand it both parties have accepted that TUPE applies and the IAC have insisted that it is observed by Eastern. How Eastern deal with this and the potential issues it will no doubt raise with it's existing employees only time will tell - but I wish them the best of luck.

Wellington Bomber
24th Nov 2008, 12:46
If and it is a big IF, flightline crews are TUPE'd across Eastern will have to offer them a job.

But it will be on Eastern terms and conditions and that means a big drop in salary for flightline crews. They have then the option of taking it or lumping it, their choice.

Eastern have been in this position before with BA Citiexpress, do not forget

househunter
24th Nov 2008, 13:45
sorry its not on Easterns terms if you are TUPE you stay on the same terms and conditions. Your pay remains the same. Eastern can then try and buy you out of your contract, but that is what happens with TUPE.

Wheeliebin
24th Nov 2008, 15:31
Correct. Flightline crew's terms and conditions remain unchanged under the TUPE regs 2006. Integrating them on the ABZ - SCS contract is the responsibility of Eastern.

Also of note, is that under the regulations, crews at Eastern ...."whose jobs might be affected by the transfer." must be "informed and consulted" through their representatives.

Canadian
24th Nov 2008, 18:55
Quote from ACAS website:

"Which transfers are not covered?

TUPE does not apply to:
transfer of a contract to provide goods or services where this doesn't involve the transfer of a business or part of a business."

Is a business transfer taking place? The Flightline aircrew aren't employed by IAC. Perhaps TUPE only applies to the ground staff?

j41cac
24th Nov 2008, 18:57
Sorry to change subject but what a missed op by RL for the IOM - LCY. Now Aer Arran to do 3 daily flights with ATR 72 and being subsidised by IOM GOV. :ugh:

Although id rather them than be

mini-jumbo
24th Nov 2008, 19:23
Canadian

The TUPE regulations were revisied in 2006. The regulations can be found on the BERR (Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform) website.

"Subject to certain qualifing conditions, the Regulations apply:

a) when a business or undertaking, or part of one, is transferred to a new employer; or

b) when a "service provision change" takes place (for example, where a contractor takes on a contract to provide a service for a client from another contractor)."

Quoted from the 2006 regulations - Part 1 - Overview of the TUPE Regulations.

Having looked at the ACAS website, it appears to contradict the published regulations in this respect. However, as had been stated, both companies agree that TUPE does apply.

Canadian
24th Nov 2008, 19:54
If both companies agree then why has Eastern already recruited a substantial number of extra pilots to crew the new aircraft?

mini-jumbo
24th Nov 2008, 20:00
I have no idea why Eastern are heavily recruiting. The IAC contract was only awared to them 2 weeks ago. Thats pretty quick recruitment if they've already got all the required crews for the contract. Looks like there will be a few (or a lot) more come Feb 6th then.

Wheeliebin
24th Nov 2008, 20:37
It would appear that Eastern (management) may not have initially realised the implications of TUPE with regards the transfer of flightdeck, although they certainly do now and have accepted it. I would assume that they (Eastern management) will now "advise and consult" with their crews whose jobs are affected as per Part 5 (b) 2006 TUPE.

peeriebreeks
25th Nov 2008, 09:02
As the Skatsta contract is only for a short interim period, will TUPE not be de-valued? May be better to get your redundancy and enter the market?

mini-jumbo
25th Nov 2008, 09:09
TUPE applies, therefore there is no choice. All Flightline crew (ground staff, engineers, cabin crew, flightdeck, ops staff) have to accept it and transfer, or resign. Flightline is not responsible for redundancy therefore if they resign they will get no redundancy. In addition, the market isn't all that good just now, so the best option for the majority will be to transfer albeit with the prospect of doing it again in 16 months.

C195
25th Nov 2008, 14:01
As Flightline have parked their MD80s and put crews on unpaid leave, I would expect the crews in ABZ to be happy to move to Eastern. Flightline is not doing well. In the current economic climate having a job is a good starting point, even if you intend to look for another one.

peeriebreeks
3rd Dec 2008, 08:54
Flightline Gone under last night. The SAAB's are starting today, two months early!

HUYHedgeHog
3rd Dec 2008, 15:37
With Flightline going under that should bring an end to all this TUPE nonsense, no?

There are a number of EZE flights showing on the board at ABZ from Sumburgh presumably for IAC? Have Eastern got the new Saabs yet, they're gonna need them sooner than they thought!

Hudson Bay
3rd Dec 2008, 20:52
I'm not so sure if TUPE applies and whether the company would merge the seniority lists. I would of thought the crews would join on the tail end. Under the present situation I don't think anybody would object. In any case the lists are only ever used for redundancy purposes and leave allocation.

BYALPHAINDIA
4th Dec 2008, 01:40
It would have made sense for T3 & FLT to merge before FLT's demise yesterday.

But, then T3 would have maybe had too many crews to look after?

If the contract is for x amount of months then the additional crews would maybe have been out on the road later than now?

I hope T3 can help out ex FLT crews at this hard time.

AviationNE
4th Dec 2008, 07:26
Eastern are operating to Sumburgh instead of scatsa in the short term as crews are not yet trained for Scatsa arrivals.

Red Four
5th Dec 2008, 16:08
Relevant article here,seems that HIAL at Sumburgh will have done well out of this weeks event, with lots of extra flights:
Sumburgh gains as Flightline goes (http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_12_2008/Sumburgh%20gains%20as%20Flightline%20goes.htm)

mmeteesside
9th Dec 2008, 00:18
Are Eastern really short of Saabs or pilots?
I assume there are 3 on the IAC contract, 1 appears to be working on the Aberdeen-Newcastle-Southampton tomorrow with an ATR72 on the Stavangers (with a trip to Newcastle early afternoon) and an ERJ135 working the Norwich-Aberdeens. So where are the other 2 Saabs :confused:

Cpt. Chaos
9th Dec 2008, 13:25
So if they have 6 SAABs and 4 are accounted for (3 on IAC and the other on the ABZ-SOU).... as MME said where are the other two... :confused:

Also it begs the question where are the two new ones, one of which was due last week?? :mad:

NickBarnes
9th Dec 2008, 14:01
The first new one was due Dec 3rd and the other one is due Dec 15th

tangoecho
9th Dec 2008, 15:59
There is also one parked at the Eastern Hanger at ABZ. I'm sure there are 5 here all together.

stu...

garrygaz
9th Dec 2008, 19:49
The thing is Eastern are pretty smart, they have a E135 and a ATR72 operating some of their scheduled Saab routes, thus allowing their new client to get used to the Saab. They didn't get where they are now by not thinking ahead.

GG

Cpt. Chaos
9th Dec 2008, 21:19
GG I agree that RL is a very astute man... I've seen it personally... however it still leaves questions unanswered..

slamaccel
11th Dec 2008, 18:01
Saw an Eastern SAAB2000 parked in Eindhoven earlier this week following paint job!

jamestkirk
12th Dec 2008, 09:53
Yes, its a new one on the fleet.

Wellington Bomber
12th Dec 2008, 18:18
The afore mentioned beast is now in Humberside REG G- FLUV

jetstreamtechrecords
13th Dec 2008, 15:28
goes in frequently, most months lots of different destinations mainly europe. No local charter competition out of GCI:ok:

Wellington Bomber
14th Dec 2008, 07:59
Somebody in the Coventry area

mmeteesside
14th Dec 2008, 15:40
Anybody know who is behind the regular Haugesund - Durham Tees charters usually run on a weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) :confused: Presume its some gas or oil company or other chemicals? Usually uses a J41.

Affretage
16th Dec 2008, 00:33
mmeteesside

Why do you need to know ? Are your pitching for the busineess ?

Salutations
Affretage

mmeteesside
16th Dec 2008, 10:41
No I'm just interested as I live near MME. I was thinking it had to be related to an oil or gas company given there is loads of them in this area! :)

jetstreamtechrecords
16th Dec 2008, 17:41
Oh yep, and how's your Maintenance Management Exposition?:= This business is nicely locked up so :mad:hands off.:ouch:

5711N0205W
16th Dec 2008, 21:10
Guys unless there is some humour in your responses that I'm missing give the guy a break, check his posting history and you'll see he's an enthusiast :) in these days of gloom it's good to see some enthusiasm :ugh:

No need to come over all aggressive secret squirrel, if you don't know or don't want to contribute in a meaningful way then say bugger all! :ugh:

paarmo
16th Dec 2008, 21:16
Well said numbers in the pub

Richard Taylor
17th Dec 2008, 07:25
I'm sure mmeteesside is no threat to Eastern's business! Unless he's a budding Baby Branson! :E

There is usually a T3 J41 positions into ABZ from HAU on a Sun evening, I assume it's all connected to the aforementioned charter.

learjet50
17th Dec 2008, 11:09
Stupid comment about mme teesside as you say he is only an enthusiast

Its not Willy Walsh (Although I suspect he could do a better job)

Leave MME alone he means no harm just intrested to see his local airport get more business.

jetstreamtechrecords
17th Dec 2008, 12:14
Sorry bout that MME:{ comes of a hard year ducking :mad:Exeter low balls makes you a bit bah humbug. Happy posting 2009:ok:

BAladdy
30th Dec 2008, 19:19
Just noticed on a aircraft sale/leasing site that 4 J41's which are currently in T3's fleet are now up for sale/lease.

J41 For Sale or Lease on SpeedNews (http://www.speednews.com/EquipmentResults.aspx?Search=Aircraft&Aircraft=J41)

The aircraft are:

MSN015 - G-MAJW
MSN098 - G-MAJX
MSN099 - G-MAJY
MSN100 - G-MAJZ

The aircraft in question have been with T3 less than two years. Was the original lease meant to be just for 2 years ??

Does anyone know the reason for these aircraft leaving??. Especially since G-MAJX/Y and Z are the newest J41's in T3's fleet. .

Wellington Bomber
31st Dec 2008, 09:01
BA Laddy

These a/c were actually bought out of the desert for nect to nothing and done up not leased as per the ex BA ones

Mister Geezer
31st Dec 2008, 21:02
A bit dramatic I think.....

tatty, tired and revolting. Smelly, drab, uncomfortable and noisy.

j41cac
2nd Jan 2009, 22:38
They're not that bad. 41's are a bit old now but suit RL's model. Although i cant deny that they are lookin a bit tired inside a few of them.

I wonder whats next for this outfit as they never seem to grow, maybe
thats why they're still around.

:)

Odi
4th Jan 2009, 21:04
Now that you've been doing it for a few weeks, how are you finding the Scatsta run? Any questions, queries, observations on the service you receive from us on Sumburgh Radar?

Cloud Chaser
7th Jan 2009, 15:10
See PPJN now mentions the possibility of a few E145's to free up the Saabs.
Would anyone in the know, care to comment how likely this is?

planenut321
7th Jan 2009, 16:09
Didn't EZE used to have ERJ145's?

airhumberside
7th Jan 2009, 17:43
Yes they did a few years ago

Richard Taylor
7th Jan 2009, 19:46
If memory serves, they have operated both E135 & E145, before deciding the Saab 2000 fitted their Business Model better. So an interesting reversal of viewpoint if they are going back to the Junglie.

Guess they must think they can pick up Embraers relatively cheaply & make them work.

They have been using a SE-reg 145 on NWI-ABZ of late.

Cpt. Chaos
8th Jan 2009, 10:33
The E145 is on wet lease from City Airline, as the Eastern SB20 are all being utilised for the Scatsta run and other commitments, along with training of crew.
It is not a reversal in company model it is just that for the time being whilst IAC are covering the cost for Eastern to do the Scatsta run, after the sad demise of Flightline, until their official contract starts, Eastern have farmed out some of their work.
RL is not daft and it is probably saving him some money.