PDA

View Full Version : New Air Zealand Uniforms

Indianzz
3rd Aug 2006, 22:50
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm wondering what those who have seen or wear the new Air Zealand CC uniform think of it.

I'm SLF and from my perspective it is are the the most unimpressive piece of kit imaginable. Drab and indistinctive and as far as the male uniform is concerned it's difficult to even distinguish that they are airline employees and when worn without a tie the whole look is really shabby.

I appreciate that that matter is very subjective and I have seen some really "distinctive" CC unforms over the years which look just plain silly - the Air Zealand one to me is just silly and does a dis-servive to those that wear it and to the Airline as well.

Hostee
4th Aug 2006, 05:19
its too light & stains will show up easily & be hard to get out.

ARRGHH... i know all about this... you've all seen the colour of the Emirates uniform!

I just heard about the knee high boots at NZ yesterday!
FUNKY!! But i wonder how practical? Sore feet/back?
Any NZ crew on here care to comment?

sebby
4th Aug 2006, 09:03
The boots arent alowed to be worn int he cabin, similarly to VS. I have been told in recent weeks that the colour of the female uniform will be redisigned in the coming months to give it a more distinctive look at he airport (i feel at the moment they look very similar to the new zealand aviation security people).

Its a shame the uniform hasnt worked out for them, there was a huge build up to it and Zambesi (the designer) was picked because of its edginess. New Zealand doesnt have a lot of world class designers like Europe or even Australia and with most airlines chosing designers from their own regions now to make uniforms, I think NZ wanted to follow that trend.

Do note however that the uniform does compliment their new cabin colour scheme and design nicely.

LittleMissKiwi
4th Aug 2006, 16:13
They apparently wanted a colour that was reminscent of the landscape of NZ, and of Greenstone (jade to non kiwis!). I think it's a pretty non descript colour myself, and although the uniform isn't as bad as the old one (they all looked members of a lost marching band!!:confused: ), it's still not that great. Like someone said, it's such a shame, as there was a real big build up to it, and in choosing a kiwi designer ANZ was much applauded for keepin' it kiwi. And yes... thunderbirds was my 1st thought!!!
What interests me is that apparently they consulted crew as to what they wanted....:hmm: ...and it met with their approval!! Who did they consult?? And did anyone check their wardrobe 1st? (I am just joking btw... I'm a kiwi myself!!)

LittleMissKiwi
4th Aug 2006, 16:15
Also, I'm a bit puzzled...we don't wear knee high boots at VS:confused:

glamourgirl!
4th Aug 2006, 16:47
yes but you can wear your own black boots at virgin. obviously changing into cabin shoes onboard.

GorgeousKiwiGal
7th Aug 2006, 14:41
Well, I wear the uniform every day and I have to say it has it's pros and cons.

Firstly, boots CAN be worn in the cabin - I know this, because I never take mine off - lol. I find the boots are much more supportive to my ankles and more practical (although, I do get sore feet).

I love the hat. It is very Thunderbirds - you're right there - lol. But when worn with the dress and boots and wrap - it looks very smart.

We all agree, wholeheartedly, that the uniform colour (and fabric) isn't the best. It stains and marks extremely easily, unfortunately.

The design of the uniform is not flattering, as it's designed to be worn "loose on the body". So we aren't meant to have it tailored. Thus for us female cabin crew - we end up looking 2 sizes bigger than we are!

However, the uniform is comfortable and warm and it's fire resistant, which is very important.

As for the uniform being redesigned. We just had a meeting about this with the big boss and at this stage there are NO PLANS to redesign the uniform what-so-ever. The only thing they are working on is issuing us additional items of the uniform, to cut down on our constant dry-cleaning costs. They are also working on "sweat-sheilds" for the garments. We were told that no new pieces are being designed.

Over all though, I am proud to work for such a great company, so I'll wear what ever uniform they give me, as long as they still want me - lol :).

Runaway Gun
7th Aug 2006, 15:41
I haven't seen it. Any photos of you wearing it Georgeous KG? :)

Indianzz
7th Aug 2006, 22:16
RG

The colour is so bland it wont show up on film so no photographs are possible.

GKG

This will be my last post if I tell my wife the next time she buys something from Zambesi (or more likely The Warehouse) that it makes her look two sizes larger but to cheer up because it is fire resistant! (so is a fireman's uniform).

I agree Air New Zealand is a great airline but perhaps beginning to lose its way a little.

sebby
7th Aug 2006, 23:09
LOL.. well for cabin crew fire resistant is most important, especially standing aT R2 door screaming commands when the aircraft is about to burst into flames, you want those buggers off and you to remain burn free for as lng as possible!

Sorry about the boots GKG... I was told by someone else they werent ot be worn after the doors were armed. Great to hear you have a bit of pride in your airline, hard ot come by these days!

Jason King
10th Aug 2006, 19:50
Typical 30 years behind the rest of the world, and I am a Kiwi

GorgeousKiwiGal
17th Aug 2006, 16:16
No we're not 30 years behind the rest of the world ... where's your Kiwi/NZ loyalty mate := .

The look was an intentional retro look. They were actually going for a 1940's Airforce look, so that the uniform remained "timeless". Whether they acheived that or not is questionable, lol. However the intention was there. Lord knows we've all seen those hideous other uniforms that scream 1985 with their massive shoulder pads, bold prints and pleated skirts ... so perhaps what Air NZ was/is going for may work for decades to come.

LOL! Yep you're definitely right there Sebby!

Of course we all want to look fabulous ... but to be honest it's quite good wearing something that makes you look less "fantasy flighty" than other uniforms do. We get enough hassles up there as it is without having 100+ men staring our curves in our skin tight uniforms (i.e. my previous QF uniform - namely the dresses).

Basically all that matters is that it looks half decent, is easily to wash, is fire retardant and is comfy.

Indianzz
14th Sep 2006, 00:58
Sorry to keep coming back to this but I notice that the issue is now getting the attention of the media (Sunday Star Times a couple of weeks ago).

I have just spent the past 10 days travelling extensively on Air NZ services and I cannot see anything about these AWFUL unforms to be positive about - drab, dreary and ill-fitting. The women look like they have been rolled up in a sack and the men look like they were running late for work and forgot to dress properly - it is a disgrace and Air NZ needs to front up to the fact that this exercise has been a very expensive and now embarassing mistake - no amount of PR spin will alter that fact.

GorgeousKiwiGal
15th Sep 2006, 09:45
Yes, in your opinion.

To be honest, like most uniforms, I think it depends on who is wearing it.

The MAIN problem for we flight attendants wearing this uniform is the fact is creases dreadfully. We iron it unitl our fingers bleed, but after an hour on the motorway to work in the car we look like we wore it to bed the night before. It's embarrassing for us to look so dishevelled.

However, the look and fit of the uniform - most are happy with.

The hat + dress + blazer + boots combination looks fantastic and is one that seems to be catching on fast, with myself and the majority of my colleagues adopting this look. This look is also what the passengers rave about. I have had nothing but positive comments and compliments in this ensemble. However, there are lots of negative comments crew are receiving about the men not wearing ties, and the ladies wearing those dreadful grey pants and matching grey wool tops.

Despite what the newspaper "reported" we have been told by head office the uniform will NOT be changed. However, new garments MAY be added within the next few years, and the fabic will be changed to a wrinkle-less one. The overall look will remain the same. And that comes straight from the boss himself.

mahmoodnz
15th Sep 2006, 10:46
i think air newzealand new uniform is awesome specially the girls wearing high boots and the uniform is 100 times better than the old uniform

BMED LHR
15th Sep 2006, 18:28
I like the tie on and tie off , But the tie is a little 80's In design . But all in all , Nice Uniform , But does it keep clean with milk stains etc ?