PDA

View Full Version : Ground School Exam Questions & Question Banks

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Deano777
7th Jan 2007, 09:19
British

If you want to get through the exams then Bristol is the place for you, nobody can comment on more than 1 school because generally that's the only one they would have been with, going to Bristol was a fantastic experience for myself anyou get to meet so many good friends, the first part of networking as they say.
The Bristol online Databank is £50 for 3 months, but at £60 PER exam 1 failure more than pays for this.

Good luck :ok:

TiredCRJDriver
8th Jan 2007, 14:29
I am wondering if anyone might be able to assist me obtain the answers to the following two questions. I would grateful if you could provide me the solution steps/working involved in obtaining the answers.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Question 1:

Given:
Max T/O weight 58 Tons
Max landing weight 54 Tons
Max zero fuel weight 51 Tons
Empty weight 38 Tons
Fuel tank capacity 13 Tons
Fuel consumption 2 Tons/hour
Reserve fuel (for all flights) 3 Tons
TAS 350 K

Find:

a) The maximum payload that can be carried
b) Distance in nil winds the above payload can be carried
c) The maximum distance the aircraft can fly in nil winds
The payload it can carry to the max distance of above question

Question 2:

Given:
Maximum authorized weight 34500 Kg
Weight less fuel and payload 17500 Kg
Max authorized landing weight 31000 Kg
Max authorized zero fuel weight 28000 Kg
Mean TAS 350 K
Max fuel capacity 10500 Kg
Mean fuel flow 1450 Kg
Reserve fuel 1200 Kg
(assume unused for all of the following questions)

A. The max payload which this aircraft can carry is
a) 15000 Kg
b) 10500 Kg
c) 12300 Kg
d) 11700 Kg

B. The greatest distance to which payload calculated above can be carried is
a) 1280 nm
b) 1620 nm
c) 1570 nm
d) 1240 nm

C. The maximum range of the aircraft is
a) 2246 nm
b) 1280 nm
c) 2535 nm
d) 2136 nm

The greatest payload that can be carried over the max range calculated in question “C” is
a) 10500 Kg
b) 5300 kg
c) 7700 Kg
d) 6500 Kg

disctilt
8th Feb 2007, 23:57
Hello all,

Do you have any thoughts on which question banks are best for JAA... I have been looking at aviationexam.com and ATPOnline (from Bristol groundschool) - both seem very similar. I am doing a JAA CPL(H), and may go on to do an IR.

Are there any others worth considering? and has anyone ever had any problem with accessing the online versions of the question banks?

I greatly appreciate any feedback before I blow this months food budget on a subscription.

JetSetJ
9th Feb 2007, 04:29
Bristols' ATP Online without a shadow of a doubt!!

It's really good feedback and helps highlight one's weaker areas!! But don't just learn it!!! Understanding why the question is right and how they calculated the answer is essential.

All the best,

JetSetJ:ok:

pltskiracer
9th Feb 2007, 06:10
Are these questions the same questions you see the JAA ATPL written exam?? How many questions are in this question bank?

PlaneHomerS
9th Feb 2007, 07:00
Bristols' ATP Online without a shadow of a doubt!!

Agreed! :ok:

powdermonkey
9th Feb 2007, 07:47
Bristol on line, helped me pass with over 90% average, but as previous poster says, do your best to understand why, especially important in Nav, Met, Mass/Balance etc where calculations are required, but it's the best way to prep yourself for these exams. Good luck
Powder

disctilt
9th Feb 2007, 11:40
Seems like Bristol hands down!

Thanks for the feedback and advice.... I have most of the theory down at this stage and just need to get familiar with the way that the questions are asked!

Thanks again!

1/2rhoVsquared
22nd Feb 2007, 15:34
I'm struggling like mad with the above subject (ATPL level) Anyone got any tips for revising this stuff or is it just a case (as usual) of repitition followed by more repetition ad infinitum? Any help would be appreciated :ugh:

GrahamK123
22nd Feb 2007, 15:57
Bristol feedback:ok:

Grass strip basher
22nd Feb 2007, 18:43
I struggled with electrics as well because I found it intensely boring.... best approach is to get the feedback and look at the type of questions they ask in the exam and that will put you straight as to what you need to know about those pesky little electrons and whether they are flowing this way or that.

Good luck:uhoh:

MIKECR
22nd Feb 2007, 19:15
Take Graham's advice, Bristol QB is all you need. Dont get hung up about electrics, must of its complete bull. Everything you need to know to pass the AGK exam is in the feedback papers and online banks. It worked fine for me and I passed it with flying colours.

1/2rhoVsquared
23rd Feb 2007, 07:41
Hey guys thanks for the moral support, advice taken, I already subscribe to ATPonline, so guess what I'll be doing for the next few weeks:) Thanks once again

BigAl's
23rd Feb 2007, 07:54
I love AC theory... :E ... and radio theory come to that... does that make me strange? Do I need help?

expedite08
23rd Feb 2007, 19:43
Has to be Bristol!!

With my first batch of exams I was a little sceptical but having sat them and got very good marks, well it speaks for itself!! Absolutly superb!! Its not so much the wording of the questions or that they are pretty much the same (well it is:O ) but its fantastic for uncovering the little sneaky tricks they put in to try and catch you out.
I personally think the system stinks to be honest 62 quid to have to sit weird and wonderful exams trying to catch you out, why should we be tricked on qestions, but there you go thats the mentalilty. However Bristol has it in the bag fair and square.

Good job all round

Cheers :ok:

Expedite :ok:

phillpot
24th Feb 2007, 14:12
Ok im confused, I have been taught IAS corrected for instrument error = CAS,that im cool with so lets assume they are roughly the same.
Because IAS is in effect dynamic pressure (pt-ps) the aeroplane will stall rotate etc at a given IAS eg the dynamic pressure the aerodynamic surfaces are feeling.
Because the ASI is calibrated for ISA Sea level it needs to be corrected for density error and therefore we derive TAS.
Now if the TAS is >300kts compressibility comes into play we correct TAS for this and get EAS which is always lower than TAS.
I was happy with all of that untill I signed up for Bgs feedback questions.

Bristol say that an a/c will rotate ,stall etc at EAS and also EAS is always equal to or lower then CAS.
If flying @300kts at sea level maybe but(and if youve got ur whizz wheel handy work through with me)
25000ft/-40 @ 240kts IAS gives you
350kts TAS now correct for compressibility because >300kts
gives you an EAS of 346kts
Therfore EAS is less than TAS but Greater than IAS.
Other questions were tas is derived from cas by correcting for density and compressibility but you dont correct for compressibility untill you have tas.
Another says that to get EAS from IAS you dont correct for density but you must correct for density to get tas and therefore derive eas.
Now I know that the list of airspeeds is usually written in this order
IAS CAS EAS TAS but in practice we work them out as follows
IAS CAS TAS EAS. I know its a real simple thing but I dont want to drop marks on simple questios and nor do I want to just learn the answers any ideas folks?

Paul23
24th Feb 2007, 14:22
Hi

I cant recommend bristol highly enough, the best £50 you will spend, just got my results for first phase atp exams with very happy results having heavily used bristol feedback.

But DO try and understand the answers as well just incase

good luck everyone in this game

17th Mar 2007, 20:52
I would appreciate some help with this one.

When does night exist:
a) During the hours of darkness
b) From 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise
c) from the beginning of evening civil twilight until the beginning of morning civil twilight.
d) During the period when the centre of the sun's disc is 6 degrees below the horizon

Thank you in advance

Jinkster
17th Mar 2007, 20:54
Either B or C I cant remember, C rings a bell though (its been a while!)

Good luck!

BestAviation
17th Mar 2007, 21:05
It's B - half an hour after sunset...to half an hour before sunrise...

The period between is twilight...not night.

Hope that was of any help =)

18th Mar 2007, 12:35
Thanks J and B.

Best regards.

Cron.

Dick Whittingham
18th Mar 2007, 19:30
Philpot, I don't know how this one slipped by in February, but you have the compressibility thing all wrong.

Once you have done the IAS to TAS calculation the next step, calculating the compressibilty correction finds the correct TAS, not EAS. In your example the first calculation gives you the false, high, TAS. It is false and high because you have not allowed for compressibilty raising the air density. Now you check for this effect and find out the true TAS.

Check the lttle table in Bristol notes that shows how you move between IAS/CAS, EAS and TAS

Dick W

jai6638
18th Mar 2007, 19:43
When does night exist:
a) During the hours of darkness
b) From 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes after sunrise
c) from the beginning of evening civil twilight until the beginning of morning civil twilight.
d) During the period when the centre of the sun's disc is 6 degrees below the horizon

For the purposes of logging hours here in the US, night time is logged 60 minutes after sunset until 60 before sunrise ( Similar to option B ). However, Night is defined by C..

Darren999
19th Mar 2007, 02:13
I read a post above I am just about to start the modular course for the BGS grd school for the ATPL exams for helicopters. I live in the US at this time flying HEMS. Did you say its worth investing in the question bank? Any advice would be gratefully appriciated. Not looking foward to this......:yuk:
Darren

c_jephcott
19th Mar 2007, 18:00
Hi there,

Is anybody else out there waiting for this month's results? :) I'm currently just sitting around and getting a little bit more anxious as the days go by, although I do expect Wednesday to be the day!

Happy Wanderer
19th Mar 2007, 18:54
Also waiting results here, but to be honest don't expect to receive anything before Thursday/Friday this week . . . when I'll be away on holiday :\

HW

phillpot
21st Mar 2007, 22:56
A couple of replies,

Firstly thanx for your reply Dick, ive had my eureka moment and sorted it I was having a real mental block, stupid on something so simple !!!!!!!

Darren, with regard to question banks invest invest invest obviously you need to learn the subjects in particular the more theory based ones however feedback questions will help you with the style of questioning and all the `trick`questions that are out there.
Good luck with the ground school.

Darren999
22nd Mar 2007, 03:25
Phillpot- Thanks, wildo, going to the UK on 1st to vist BGS, and to thrash out a plan.
Thanks again for the info
Darren

fegaras
25th Mar 2007, 09:18
Iam lost in the jaa system i recently came from the faa system with all licenses now iam trying to find the best way to study the questions (iam in a ground school class in Greece)for the 14 ATPL Exams i have studied from the bristol online exam and now studying questions from the aviation exams online every were i look questions are not the same and test bank are getting larger it seems as though there is no standard format iam lost between all the different test banks i believe there is over 14,000+ questions can i find the exact questions that i would see on the exams please please i need help!!!!!:ugh: :confused: :(

BEagle
25th Mar 2007, 09:24
No you can't find the exact questions anywhere legally.

Some are known to approved FTOs, but not all.

fegaras
25th Mar 2007, 09:53
on aviationexams online they say they have 95% question bank. is this not true.

pomme pilot
25th Mar 2007, 10:08
Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to learn all of the material. However, I personally found the Bristol online database prepared me very well for the CAA exams.
Just make sure that you do understand the relevant material, as this will more than likely be tested at an interview.:ok:

fegaras
25th Mar 2007, 13:33
please tell me the best way to find the actual questions i will see on the 14ATPL Exams to study.
thank you!

AlphaMale
25th Mar 2007, 14:22
Best way to see the JAA ATPL exam questions is to sit the exam I guess.

EIDW RJ85
25th Mar 2007, 15:59
Cron,

The Answer to your question of JAA exams is B. In full time groundschool now and using Italian AND Bristol. But reference from the books for those questions you dont know is a must, I have heard of a lot of people who memorised question banks and failed? eg. Mass and Balance? The CAA are going to change 1 figure in a calculation q. so the answer that is usually right to you, is now wrong? If you dont know the formula .. you cant work it out. Very small margin for error on that subject! :ugh: :ugh:

26th Mar 2007, 18:36
Can't find anything on this one in my notes - would be grateful for comments:

Q: If for any reasons a pilot is unable to conform to the procedures for normal conditions laid down for any particular holding pattern, he should:
a) Advise ATC as early as possible.
b) Execute a non-standard holding pattern in accordance with the performance of his aeroplane.
c) Remain within the protected area, but may deviate from the prescribed holding.
d) Follow the radio communication failure procedure.

Many thanks

Cron.

neilia
26th Mar 2007, 19:06
Advise ATC as early as possible.

Derek87
26th Mar 2007, 20:20
Can anybody help me out on this Instrumentation question and is it likely to be on a exam !!!!!!!:ugh: An aircraft tracking 010 degM is required to clear high ground 3927m high by a minimum of 2000 ft. If the QNH is 993 mb and assuming 1mb = 30ft, what is the minimum FL the aircraft can fly at according to the quadrantal rule?

A=70
B=175
C=150
D=170

The right ans is D=170 can anybody explain this :8

26th Mar 2007, 20:26
Thanks you for your response N

neilia
26th Mar 2007, 20:33
Yes, this type of thing is likely to be on the exam. You need to be at 3927m plus 2000ft referenced to QNH 993. For a FL your reference is 1013, so your indicated altitude must be 20mb higher, ie 20 x 30ft. Now pick an appropriate quadrantal FL for the safe altitude you've just calculated.

Derek87
27th Mar 2007, 13:19
Hey thanks for the help that has cleared it up :D its easy when you know how :ok:

neilia
27th Mar 2007, 14:01
It certainly is ;) Drawing a picture always helps with these types of questions.

alberto86
11th Apr 2007, 15:22
hello all,

is there any website providing a free/trial ATPL question bank? I've had a look on this >> http://213.48.96.23/atponline/jalo/index.asp but it only offers a demo version, the full one costs 72euros..:} The latest version is the CQB 10 at the moment, I assume.

thank you in advance!

chrisbl
11th Apr 2007, 16:17
Now why should anyone make available a free question bank? - no the one you have seen the demo of is the best around and if you dont want to pay all of €70 can you afford to do the exams in the first place?.

wangus
11th Apr 2007, 16:32
Use Bristol Groundschool, and you'll get everything you need from the guys there. I am a moron and passed all 14 on first attempt. The system is so fine tuned it's near impossible to be unsuccessful.

Vee One...Rotate
11th Apr 2007, 16:52
Wangus is right. BGS's online bank is the way forward. What's £50 in the grand scheme of things? Especially if it more or less guarantees you good marks...

expedite08
12th Apr 2007, 15:11
Have to agree there. Bristol has made an art of the CAA 'ticking the box exercise!'

alberto86
14th Apr 2007, 09:07
hello guys,
what method do you apply when you calculate the constant of the cone on a Lambert conformal conic chart?
thx
PS: the query about the free database didn't have any great importance since I'm already using the CQB10 Cd-rom provided by my FTO. I only intended to look for another database and see if there were any new questions, but it's not such a big issue. Thank you anyway:)

darts06
14th Apr 2007, 10:40
As far as i remember you get the constant of the cone from:

Sine PO

PO= parallel of origin

This relates to convergence which is ch long x sine po

Hope i have remembered correctly it has been a while :ugh:

alberto86
14th Apr 2007, 11:44
i think it's not the correct calculation, because I've to answer a question where the standard parallels are 07°40'N and 38°20'N.
The constant of the cone is then: 0,39 0,6 0,92 or 0,42?

darts06
15th Apr 2007, 11:27
The answer to the question should be .39 then??

If your standard parallels are 7.40 N and 38.20 N then your parallel of origin is 23 degrees north.

Sine x 23 = 0.39

Phenom100
23rd Apr 2007, 18:14
Hi Guys,

Need help with a Pof Question, I'm sure it's just me and the answer is simple? here goes:

An A/C is in a level turn, at a constant TAS of 300Kts and a bank angle of 45 degrees. It's turning radius is:

A, 9000
B, 2381
C, 3354
D, 4743

The answer is B, How the hell do you get to that answer?

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

Ebow
23rd Apr 2007, 18:47
Probably you know the formula:
r = V square / (11.26 * TAN angle) with V in kt and r in feet
Gives you 7992.9 feet as radius = 2436.23592 meters. Best answer is therfore B.
Hope it helps

Keith.Williams.
23rd Apr 2007, 18:50
An A/C is in a level turn, at a constant TAS of 300Kts and a bank angle of 45 degrees. It's turning radius is:
A, 9000
B, 2381
C, 3354
D, 4743

The equation that you require is:

Turn Radius = V squared / gTanAOB

To get radius in meters you need to convert the TAS from Kts into m/sec by multiplying it by 0.515

If you use g = 10 m/sec squared this gives:

Radius = (300 x 0.51)squared / (10 x TAN 45)

Radius = 2387 m

This is closest to option B.

Ebow
23rd Apr 2007, 18:52
Damn Keith, you're even closer.

'India-Mike
23rd Apr 2007, 18:56
Danny
Equation for this stuff is tan(bank angle)=(speed^2)/(g*radius)
Re-arrange to get radius=(speed^2)/(g*tan(bank angle))
Speed must be in m/s to get answer in m. Use g=10; tan(45) =1. I then get 2385m (TAS in knots should be halved roughly to get m/s)
I can't remember now what's in my ATPL pof notes (I didn't really read them; I've got a PhD in Aeronautics which gave me the ability to do the exam without reading the notes!)
ATPL notes may give it in a different way, but the equation above will never fail you. Oh, and from my experience the question bank never uses angles other than 45 deg, so tan(bank angle) will always be 1.

Jings - all those replies at once. Mine's redundant!

Paul23
23rd Apr 2007, 19:06
Hi,

unless someone corrects me its somethings like.........

Radius = Vsquared / GxTan angle of bank

V squared is TAS converted from Knots into metres then squared, conversion factor is 0.514 approx. G = load factor, use 10.

therefore

Radius = (300squared x 0.514 ) / 10 x tan 45deg. = 2377

closest answer 2381.

good luck
paul

Phenom100
23rd Apr 2007, 19:19
Dam it, you guys are quick,

The notes l am using do NOT explain this. Thanks to you all for the quick reply!

B Regards
Dan

sicky
23rd Apr 2007, 19:58
well i've learnt something today :D thanks guys

robdesbois
23rd Apr 2007, 22:50
1Hi all.

Just running through PPL confuser for Nav exam, come across a question (number 41 too :uhoh:) that I can't get one of the provided choices for!
I've had no problem with the others but I'd be really grateful if someone could just check my answer.

The question is given: heading = 138(T), track = 141(T), TAS = 122kt, GS = 101kt, find w/v.

I get 124/22 consistently, according to the book the answer is 131/21:confused:

Thanks in advance!
Rob

darts06
23rd Apr 2007, 23:16
Hi, i agree with your answer, with only a starboard drift of 3 degrees, cant see how they get the answer they do.
Is that the whole question, is there not a variation you need to take into account with hdg given in magnetic or something??
Maybe its just a typo,

good luck

d2k73
24th Apr 2007, 04:04
The formula I was taught during POF was:
Radius = Vsquared
G x Tan angle of bank
Given that G=10
Firstly you need to convert your TAS into m/s. For some people they like to work it out step by step, i.e 300 x1852 to get it in meters per hr which will give you 555600, divided by 60 to give you meters per minute which will give you 9260, divided by 60 again to give you m/s which will be 154.3.
Or you can use tas x .514= m/s which in this case is 300 x .514= 154.2
What ever floats your boat really!!
So that will give us:
154.3squared
10 x Tan 45
Which gives me an answer of 2,380.849 or 2,381m
Hope this of was some help!
Worked for me during POF and got me through the exams!

robdesbois
24th Apr 2007, 08:01
No, that's the question in its entirety.

Thanks for the double check!

rob

Abu Bebo
27th Apr 2007, 04:37
For your peace of mind:
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6055976/i/unrelated/wind_trig.GIF
cos 3 = B/101 => B=100.86, so C=122-B = 21.14
sin 3 = D/101 => D=5.2859
tan a = D/C = 0.25 => a=14.04 degrees
D^2+C^2=A^2, so A=21.789
therefore wind direction is 138-14.04=124 degrees; wind speed=22 knots
Regards
AB

robdesbois
27th Apr 2007, 07:58
Abu - thanks. Should've thought of that myself really!

MarkColeman
6th May 2007, 10:17
Hi,

What are the best online question banks to use to study for the atpls? And whats the general consensus here when it comes to studying for the atpls - ie. when you studied for your atpls did you go through the books making notes and memorising important parts, or did you spend more time going through exam question banks and learning from the answers?

Cheers,

Mark

bobster1
6th May 2007, 10:39
Hi there, I have recently finished the ground school. I found for me the best way of revising was to read through the notes, highlite important bits, then batter the on-line feed back from Bristol Ground School(www.bristol.gs).
If a question came up that I was unsure of, then refer to the notes for the answer, Im sure everyone has there own way of learning, but this worked for me.
Also Bristols feed back questions are word for word what you will see in the exams, certainly for law, r nav, and comms, I had not used it prior to this for the 1st lot of exams so cant comment.
Definately worth the investment, sure others will agree!!

Swanie
6th May 2007, 10:51
Hey all, couple of quick questions, with regard to a few performance questions that stumped me:ugh:
all help is welcomed

1. "climbing at a fixed Mach number in the troposhere, has what affect on IAS, and TAS?"
a) IAS decreases, TAS rises
b) IAS decreases, TAS decreases
c) IAS increases, TAS increases
d) IAS no change, TAS decreases
e) IAS increases, TAS no change

answer was b) I understand that the IAS will obviously decrease, but don't know why TAS does...
also if a Mach number is the ratio of TAS/speed of sound? then why does the speed of sound decrease with altitude??
and do this relationship change once you get into tropopause/stratosphere??

2. "A rise in static air temperature during a constant pressure altitude, constant IAS cruise has what effect on Mach number, TAS and SAR?
a) Mach number increase, TAS decrease, SAR decrease
b) Mach number decrease, TAS decrease, SAR increase
c) Mach number increase, TAS decrease,SAR increase
d) Mach number unchanged, TAS decrease, SAR decrease

Answer is d).
This to me makes no sense. Static air temp, i'm told is just OAT, and my understanding is that temp wouldn't effect IAS, but would effect TAS, as a increase in temp, is effectively an increase in density alt, and thus would increase TAS... and again if a Mach number is TAS/speed of sound then what effect does temp have on the speed of sound!! as an increase in TAS would increase Mach at a constant speed of sound...:ugh: and a decrease in TAS would also lead to a proportional decrease to your SAR, at a constant fuel flow, which i guess we could assume..?

any ways, i'm probably miles off but if anyone could please point me in the right direction
cheers swanie:ok:

bobster1
6th May 2007, 13:51
The only thing that effects speed of sound is temperatue..
to calc speed of sound.. 38.94x Square root of the temp in Kelvin.

at sea level 38.94xSqRt (273+15)= 661Kts speed of sound,the plus 15 is ISA

at 35000' ISA temp is -55, therefore the same calc as above..
38.94xSqRt (273-55)=575 Kts speed of sound

Generally as you climb, temp decreases, so therefore so does the local speed of sound.. which is the formula you are using TAS/LSS..if LSS is decreasing so must TAS to keep MNo. a constant..
Hope all that helps!!

Swanie
7th May 2007, 08:12
cheers bob, i knew it was something small:ok:

Jez_G
20th May 2007, 18:45
Hi,
I'm just embarking on my ATPL using Bristol's distance learning course. I was aimlessly searching websites for info and i came accross this:

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/groundschoolATPL/

This is a question bank for the ATPL tests and is reasonably priced with lifetime updates. I know that Bristol have a question bank that everyone seems to think is great but wondered if anyone had any experience with this one. It appeals as it is cheaper and has updates for life!

I think that i will use the Bristol test bank for the final test practice but to have one now that i can use whilst i am going through the course would be great (without having to pay every three months).

Also, I live in the US and was wondering where everyone gets there CRP-5 flight computers from, I've seen a few websites but was curious to see if there is a cheaper place etc etc. (Also if anyone is looking to sell a good quality one, please PM me).

Any info on the question bank or computers would be much appreciated.

Jez

chrisbl
20th May 2007, 20:03
This lot are good for the FAA stuff but the JAA stuff is very ie a week old so it is unlikey that anyone can answer your question.

Try it yourself and let us all know how you got on.

Jez_G
20th May 2007, 20:07
yeah i have used them for all of my FAA licences PPL through CFII. I didn't realise it was so new. I'll let everyone know how it is if i decide to do it!!

28th May 2007, 12:22
Would be most grateful for indications as to the correct answers to the below - my notes seem to be a bit shabby in these areas.. Thank you for your help in advance.

1. Human behaviour is determined by:
a) Biological characteristics, social environment and cultural influences
b) Biological characteristics
c) Social environment
d) Cultural influences

2. Which of the following characteristics form part of decision making on the flight deck?
a) A good decision depends on analysis of the situation
b) A decision is only valid in a defined and delimited time
c) A good decision can always be reversed if its result does not come up to expectations
d) A group decision must always be established prior to action

3. Select the most correct statement about human error:
a) To minimise human error one must first understand its nature
b) The definition of human error, as used to improve aviation safety, can put the blame on the individuals
c) Human error can be eliminated
d) The skilled pilot will not make human errors

4. When in the cruise at night, the crew should
a) increase vigilance by switching off non-essential instruments
b) increase vigilance by turning up the cockpit lighting
c) reduce tiredness by turning down the cockpit lighting
d) increase vigilance by increasing instrument lighting

5. What should a pilot do if he has no information about the dimensions of the runway and the condition of the terrain underneath the approach? He should
a) Make an instrument approach and be aware of the illusory effects that can be induced
b) Be aware that approaches over downsloping terrain will make him believe that he is higher than actual
c) Make a visual approach and call the tower for assistance
D) Be aware that approaches over water always make the pilot feel that he is lower than actual height

BestAviation
28th May 2007, 14:07
Let's see ... these are what I believe to be the right answers. Hope it's of any help...
1. Human behaviour is determined by:
a) Biological characteristics, social environment and cultural influences
Why?
Biological characteristics - genes, etc... behaviour dissorders...
Social environment - yup; we're all victims of our surroundings
Cultural influencese - Most definetly....
2. Which of the following characteristics form part of decision making on the flight deck?
a) A good decision depends on analysis of the situation
Why?
How can you make a decision if you have no information or you are unable to read the information provided to you correctly

b) is false - there is nothing wrong in taking time (if you have it) to analyse the situation properly before making a decision (irrational decisions, particularly in "times of crises" are mainly based on total lack of situational analysis)

c) is false - you can't unscramble an egg if you decide not to make omlets after all....but that doesn't make it a bad decision (what if you're allergic to eggs?)

d) is false - hence why our politicians never get anything done....

3. Select the most correct statement about human error:
a) To minimise human error one must first understand its nature

Why?
Like anything in aviation; someone has to screw it up before a change is made to improve safety. Spend an evening watching Air Disasters on Nationcal Geographics channel and you will learn allot about why some things are they way they are today (and some of the crazy errors made)

b) is false - even though it's easy to scream pilot error when something goes wrong

c) is false - the only way to remove human error completely is to remove all humans....let's hope that never happens

d) is false - pilots are unfortunately the last liability in aviation

4. When in the cruise at night, the crew should

Why?
A wild guess....this is the one I would choose anyways. I wouldn't dim the lights further...and I don't think I would want to ruin my night vision with blinding lights in the cockpit.

5. What should a pilot do if he has no information about the dimensions of the runway and the condition of the terrain underneath the approach? He should

a) Make an instrument approach and be aware of the illusory effects that can be induced

Why?
Makes sense - follow your instruments. . .it's easier than looking outside if you're not sure what you're looking for. This is the most logical answer.

Have you noticed that the answer to all your questions were A) ????
just my two cents....

28th May 2007, 14:11
Thanks BA - much appreciated.

10th Jun 2007, 16:21
Would be most grateful for the answer to this, (Thanks in advance for hep).

Q. When in the cruise at night, the crew should
b) increase vigilance by turning up the cockpit lighting
c) reduce tiredness by turning down the cockpit lighting
d) increase vigilance by increasing instrument lighting

Jinkster
10th Jun 2007, 16:23
At night we turn down the cockpit lighting so we can see much better....but this is the land of ATPLs!!!

greekboy
11th Jun 2007, 16:15
hey cron

correct me if im wrong but i understand that at night during the cruise and low workloads , one should increase the cockpit lighting to stay alert and therefore increase vigilance.

good luck

Go Smoke
11th Jun 2007, 16:50
The CAA answer is (b)

robdesbois
11th Jun 2007, 20:55
Which of course only applies (sensibly anyway) if you're not navigating visually. Night VFR is a lot trickier when every glance at your instruments defeats your night vision...

Still, this is a CAA exam, and they don't exactly play by the usual rules!

Quazimodo007
4th Jul 2007, 19:27
Can somebody tell me ,which test preparation software is better,from aviationexam.com or from dauntless-soft.com ?
Which question base has the better coverage?
Thanks

Alex Whittingham
4th Jul 2007, 21:11
Definitely aviationexam.com. They try hard to keep their database up-to-date and and to offer value for money. Dauntless just post up a database which bears a striking resemblance to an old version of aviationexam.com's, and offer no support.

4th Jul 2007, 21:18
Would be most grateful for some suggested answers to the below. Thank you in advance.

1. SOPS should be used for:
a) All unusual situations
b) Predictable problems
c) Novel problems
d) DODAR problems

2: The time the eye needs to adapt fully to the dark is about
a) 10 minutes
b) 5 minutes
c) 25-30 minutes
d) 10 seconds

3: A stereotypes and involuntary reaction of the organism on stimulation of receptors is called:
a) Control system
b) Reflex
c) Change of stimulation level
d) Data processing

(I can't believe this one either!)

robdesbois
4th Jul 2007, 22:53
Cron,

1. Don't know - there's probably a correct and a CAA answer for this. My guess would be (b) but could be (a) too...

2. (c)

3. (b)

HTH
--rob

aagarwal8419
4th Jul 2007, 23:40
Can some one help me for CP and PNR or PSR questions? Are there any flight computer (Electronic)for these sort of questions.

Neal

5th Jul 2007, 00:01
aa - this any help?

CP and PNR
Wind component of minus means headwind.
Wind component of plus means tailwind.

CP (Point of Equal Time)
Decision point between 2 airfields from which it would take the same time to fly to either airfield.

Distance to CP (X) = DH/ (0+H).
Time to CP = X/O
X = distance to CP
D = leg distance
H = GS home
O = GS out

CP Rules, CP is independent of fuel endurance. Still air, CP is midway, CP moves into wind from still air midpoint. If wind reduces, CP towards midpoint. Inc TAS = wind reduce.

PNR (aka PSR, ROA)
Defined as that point furthest removed from departure point to which an aircraft can fly and still return to its departure point within its safe endurance.

PNR:
Distance to PNR = E x O x (H)/ (0+H)
Time to PNR: = E x (H)/ (0+H)

E = Endurance
H = TAS home
O = TAS out

PNR rules:
Max dist to PNR achieved in still air.
All wind reduces distance to PNR.
Wind Inc, dist to PNR dec. = Dec TAS
Wind Dec, dist to PNR inc = Inc TAS

Radius of Action:
E becomes Safe Endurance minus Patrol Time.

5th Jul 2007, 00:04
and a Q for you aa...

Q. You are flying from O to R, distance 3016nm, TAS 480kt. Flying outbound Q to R you calculate a headwind component of 90kt and a tailwind component of 75 kts from R to If you leave Oat 1320UTC, what is your ETA for the Point-of-Equal Time?
Time to PNR: T = E x (H)/ (0+H)
Distance to PNR = E x O x (H)/ (0+H)
CP X= DH/ (0+H).
X = distance to CP
D = leg distance
H = GS home
O = GS out
The time taken to reach the CP = X/O
a) 1752
b) 1534
c) 1821
d) 1937

airfoil3339
21st Jan 2009, 04:09
Cron:

This may be a little too late, but well, better late than never.

You're asking for PNR when the question asks for CP (Point of Equal Time).

The answer is a) 1752 hours.

x=DxH/O+H

=3000x555/945

=1771.3 NM (distance to CP)

Time to CP will be:

1771.3 / 555 = 4hours 32 min.

1320+0432= 1752

Greg2041
21st Jan 2009, 09:31
Can anyone help me with these confuser questions please? The original post was deleted so forgive me if you've seen these questions elsewhere but I should have posted them here. I am currently on a PPL/ATPL course.

The Confuser’s answers are in red but I’m wondering if all the answers are right.

1. An aircraft is deemed airworthy when complying with the operational and maintenance limitations specified:

(i) in the aircraft flight manuals.
(ii) markings and placards.
(iii) in the ICAO Airworthiness Technical Manual.

Select the the correct combination answer.

A - i,and iii are correct.
B - ii and iii are correct.
C - i and ii are correct.
D - None of the above are correct.

Why doesn’t the ICAO Airworthiness Technical Manual apply?

2. The holder of a Medical Certificate issued under the authority of JAR FCL must inform the authority if s/he suffers an illness that affects her / his ability to act as a crew member:

A - in writing as soon as possible after the illness was sustained.
B - in writing if still unfit from the illness to act as a crew member when the medical expires.
C - in writing if unfit to act as a crew member for 21 days or more due to that illness.
D - in writing if unfit to act as a crew member for 10 days or more due to that illness.

I am happy this is the correct answer but why does a period of 21 days only apply to illness and not injury?

3. It is illegal for an aircraft commander without an RT licence to allow another person carried on that flight who holds an Aeronautical RT Operator's Licence to operate the aircraft radio communication equipment.

This is a statement following a question on theRadio Telephony Operator's Licence. Is this right and if so, what is the logic behind it. There is some disagreement about whether it is right or wrong.

4. In all aircraft in flight, the use of mobile telephones is:

A - restricted to local calls only, as any attempt to make a long distance or international call my jam surface network receivers.
B - not allowed, as such action may interfere with aircraft systems and is contrary to the Air Navigation Order, aircraft radio operating licence and telephone licence.
C - only permitted if used in the context of a back-up to VHF communications where reception is poor.
D - only permitted if the aircraft is equipped with non UHF transponder and GPS.

I agree with this statement but how is it that some airlines operators are talking about allowing mobile phone calls?

5. An aircraft C of A becomes invalid:

A - During the times between the completion of a Check 'A', and the time of signing for that Check 'A' by an authorised person in the technical log.
B - If the aircraft is repaired, modified and / or any of its equipment or the airframe itself is over-hauled.
C - If the fuel drains are not checked after the aircraft has been re-fuelled.
D - If the airframe hours exceed those specified in the C of A for any twelve month period.

Could ‘D’ be the answer too?

6. Minor replacements and/or repairs to an aircraft are legally permitted to be carried out by the aircraft's owner and/or operator under Regulation 16 of the Air Navigation (General) Order provided s/he holds a pilot's licence and that the aircraft MTWA is 2730kg or less and that the Certificate of Airworthiness applicable to that aircraft is in the 'Private' or 'Special' category.

Those repairs and / or replacements include:

A - replacement of unserviceable sparking plugs or landing gear tyres.
B - trimming of a damaged propeller.
C - replacement of a combined VHF comms / navigation equipment.
D - replacement of a VHF antenna.

Answer ‘A’ is correct BUT surely so is ‘D’ as according to the LAA technical leaflet which says that the replacement of VHF communications equipment, being equipment which is not combined with navigation equipment, would be legally permitted. Your thoughts…..

7. ICAO Annex 12 specifies that If observed from an aircraft in flight that another aircraft or surface craft is in distress, the appropriate action to be taken by the observing aircraft commander would be to:

A - alert the Distress and Diversion unit on 121.5 and leave the area.
B - alert the emergency services on the ATC frequency in use at that time and leave the area.
C - keep in sight the craft in distress until such time as her/his presence is no longer necessary.
D - aid search and rescue units in locating the craft in distress.

The PPL confuse says D is the correct answer but surely the answer is C as well?

Your advice as ever appreciated!

Greg

robdesbois
21st Jan 2009, 11:44
Greg,

2: this doesn't imply that period of 21 days only applies to illness and not injury, the question is dealing specifically with illness. Just funny wording that seems to be plentiful in these exams.

4: they could allow it if the ANO is amended to allow it (I don't believe this has yet been done).

Not sure on the others but hope that helps on those 2 :-)

kestrel101
21st Jan 2009, 18:05
Hi everyone, these aren't atpl questions but I am hoping someone might be able to help.

(1) Define height
(a) vertical distance of a fixed object above mean sea level
(b) vertical distance of any object above a specified datum.
(c) vertical distance of a moveable object above mean sea level

(2) Define Altitude
(b) vertical distance of any object above a specified datum

(3) Define Elevation
(b) vertical distance of any object above a specified datum

This one is probably so simple but I thick as :mad::mad:

Q There are a total 0f 552 passengers on 3 aircraft : A,B and C. A carries 3 times as many passengers as C, B has twice as many as C. Which of these is true?
(a) there are 184 passengers on aircraft C.
(b) there are 254 passengers on aircraft A.
(c) there are 84 passengers on aircraft C
(d) there are 276 passengers on aircraft A.

Greg2041
21st Jan 2009, 18:15
My questions first please!!!!

robdesbois
22nd Jan 2009, 07:26
kestrel,

Blech. 2c definitely. 1 and 3 I'm not certain but I'd go for 1b 3a.

last one:
A = 3*C
B = 2*C
A + B + C = 552
3*C + 2*C + C = 552
6C = 552
C = 92
B = 184
A = 276
so the answer's (d).

kestrel101
22nd Jan 2009, 09:13
Thanks very much for the reply really appreciate it.:ok::ok:

Greg2041
22nd Jan 2009, 11:24
And from me too.

If anyone can help with the first question Q1 that I posted, I would be extremely grateful (the one that talks about the ICAO Airworthiness Technical Manual)

Greg

runway067
22nd Jan 2009, 13:43
well, they are not changing it. It's just you have to know that there are DALR which is 1,5/1000 feet SALR which is 3,0/1000 feet and ELR (enviromental lapse rate) which is approx 1,95/1000 feet

Raptorstick
10th Aug 2009, 16:50
You've got that the wrong way around buddy.

Dry Adiabatic Lapse Rate is 3.0 degrees C per 1000ft.
Saturated Adiabatic Lapse Rate is 1.5 degrees C per 1000ft.
Environmental Lapse Rate is 1.98 degrees C per 1000ft.

Hope it helps.
Raptor

filmarik
25th Aug 2009, 21:04
hi folks,
plase could anybody help me with those to Q?

The operator of an aircraft equipped with 50 seats uses standard masses for passengers and baggage. During the preparation of a scheduled flight a group of passengers present themselves at the check-in desk, it is apparent that even the lightest of these exceeds the value of the declared standard mass.

A the operator may use the standard masses for the balance but must correct these for the load calculation

B the operator may use the standard masses for the load and balance calculation without correction

C the operator should use the individual masses of the passengers or alter the standard masss

D the operator is obliged to use the actual masses of each passenger

AND

The maximum zero-fuel mass:
1- is a regulatory limitation
2- is calculated for a maximum load factor of +3.5 g
3- is due to the maximum permissible bending moment
at the wing root
4- imposes fuel dumping from the outer wings tank first
5- imposes fuel dumping from the inner wings tank first
6- can be increased by stiffening the wing
The combination of correct statements is:
A
1, 2, 3
B
1, 3, 5
C
2, 5, 6
D 4, 2, 6

Thanks a lothttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

filmarik
25th Aug 2009, 21:38
Could you tell me what answer gives the bristol one if there are such a questions? thanks

The operator of an aircraft equipped with 50 seats uses standard masses for passengers and baggage. During the preparation of a scheduled flight a group of passengers present themselves at the check-in desk, it is apparent that even the lightest of these exceeds the value of the declared standard mass.

A the operator may use the standard masses for the balance but must correct these for the load calculation

B the operator may use the standard masses for the load and balance calculation without correction

C the operator should use the individual masses of the passengers or alter the standard masss

AND

at the wing root
A
1, 2, 3
B
1, 3, 5
C
2, 5, 6
D 4, 2, 6

Thanks a lothttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

atpcliff
31st Aug 2009, 01:16
Hi!

Thanx everyone 4 posting! Some of the questions are helpful, as is the knowledge that I'm studying the correct stuff.

I have 5 days to study and pass ALL the subject materials condensed into one Conversion Exam, NOT through my own doing!!! I would've been studying months ago if I had the resources!

So, I'm reading the questions and trying to learn everything I don't know via the questions and answers. Not very nice! But, luckily, I went to university, so I can give it the "Old College Try"!

It IS frustrating having to learn stuff that doesn't apply to me at all, like recip engines and polar charts, but, too bad for me! I want to pass, so I have to learn it all.

cliff
NBO
PS-Saw the one poster who is VC10. Just saw one of those yesterday, and we had to ask what it was...could not remember!

atpcliff
31st Aug 2009, 09:43
Hi!

Just changed my exam to tommorrow, so 3 days to study for the entire knowledge base

Extra Nice!

cliff
NBO

atpcliff
1st Sep 2009, 08:44
Hi!

Just passed...WHEW!!!...the Conversion Exam.

Briefly:
Studied for Air Law exam to get License Validation back in Spring. Supposed to take Air Law, but scheduled for Conversion Exam (covers ALL subjects...Air Law, ALL PPL, ALL CPL, ALL ATPL exam material) by mistake. Took Conversion Exam, and scored 59. Had ONLY studied for Air Law.

Passed Air Law a couple of weeks later.

This past week told taking Conversion Exam, and then was given today's date.

So, Studied about 3 days, and took the exam today: ALL the subjects, and passed. Inshallah!!!

It used to be that all you had to do to convert your license was pass the Air Law exam, but this year, they changed it, so need the full Conversion Exam to convert your license. Passing the Air Law is a requirement now to get a temporary Validation of your home-country license. I believe most countries still allow you to convert with only the Air Law.

So glad I passed!!!...Thanx a TON to everyone that posted info, questions, and answers on this thread...it helped a lot.

Odd question:
How old to get a CPL Examiner's License...I had no idea...guessed age 25.

cliff
NBO
PS-Thanks AGAIN!!!

filmarik
9th Sep 2009, 20:02
Hi folks, could anybody help me please?

AND

at the wing root
A
1, 2, 3
B
1, 3, 5
C
2, 5, 6
D 4, 2, 6

Thanks a lothttp://www.pprune.org/mhtml:file://D:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Plocha\Ground School Exam Questions & Question Banks - Page 31 - PPRuNe Forums.mht!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

filmarik
9th Sep 2009, 20:24
Hi folks, could anybody help me please?

AND

at the wing root
A
1, 2, 3
B
1, 3, 5
C
2, 5, 6
D 4, 2, 6

Thanks a lothttp://www.pprune.org/mhtml:file://D:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Plocha\Ground School Exam Questions & Question Banks - Page 31 - PPRuNe Forums.mht!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

tumboseppala
10th Nov 2009, 18:18
Hi there. Sorry to bring old topic up but for filmarik:

For the first one I would go with D.

Number 2 would be B.
MZFM is a regulatory limit so 1 must be correct.
The maximum DLL for ac is +2,5g, so +3,5 is out of limits.
3 is correct since bending moments are greatest at wing root. Adding mass like engines and fuel, decrease these moments so 3 is correct. From there you can work it out if 1&3 is correct then 5 must be correct and that is also true. Fuel is used from center towards the wingtip in all conditions.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

shivamjoshi
20th Nov 2009, 20:27
Can anyone please help me with questions involving calculation of altitudes at different pressure levels?

What would be the true altitude at 100hpa and 200hpa at standard temp.?

I know the lapse rate from 0 to 10,000ft. is 27ft./1hpa and from 10,000ft.-20,000ft. is 47ft./1hpa. Don't Remember the lapse rates after 20k.

Thanks

Mzehmed
22nd Nov 2009, 13:51
Hi guys, just a quick P.O.F question from me.

Question:

A 50 ton twin-engine aeroplane performs a straight, steady, wings level climb. If the lift/drag ratio is 12 and the thrust is 60000N per engine, the climb gradient is: (assume g=10m/s²).

I believe I have the correct formulae to work with as:

Gradient Of Climb = Thrust - Drag / Weight (x100)

Therefore we have;

Thrust = 120,000N (60,000x2)
Weight = 50,000 KG

Gradient Of Climb = 120,000 - (Drag)* / 50,000 (x100)

*At this point I am fairly lost and not sure how to calculate the drag to enter into the formulae. Just as extra info the options for this answer are:

a) 3.7%
b) 15.7%
c) 12%
d) 24%

Thanks for any advice.:ok:

tigermagicjohn
22nd Nov 2009, 16:33
You have the formula correct, however you need to know the Lift/Drag ratio calculation.

This is 1/12 x 100, which will give you - the number 8.333
Formula is correct, but can be confusing to do the calculation. The lift/drag ratio will always be as above, example 1/8 x 100 for 8 lift drag ratio.

What you do which I found better is:

(120.000N / 500.000)( x 100)) - 1/12 x 100 = Climb gradient

(0.24) x 100 - (0.083 x 100) - 15.67%

Better to write:

Climb gradient = Thrust / Weight x 100% - (Lift / Drag) x100%

Weight is mass x gravity, 50.000 kg x 10 (not 100)

so the first part is actually:
(Thrust / (Mass x Gravity)) (x 100%)

Remember Weight is not 50.000 kg, Weight is 500.000N in this example.
Mass and Weight are not the same.

Keith.Williams.
22nd Nov 2009, 17:31
The correct equation is

% Climb gradient = approximately 100% ( (Thrust - Drag)/Weight)

Lift is less than weight in a steady climb, but for small climb angles the difference is very small. If we ignore this small difference we can say that lift = weight.

We can now resate the above equation as

% Climb Gradient = 100% ((Thrust/Weight) - (Drag/Lift))

But Drag/Lift is just 1 / Lift to Drag ratio

So we can restate the equation as

% Climb Gradient = 100% ((Thrust/Weight) - (1/ Lift to Drag ratio))

In this question we get

% Climb Gradient = 100% ((120000 N / 500000 N) - (1/12)

% Climb Gradient = 15.67%

All of the above is of course an approximation based on the simplfying assumption that lift = weight.

But it gives us a nice easy equation which bypasses the need to calculate the drag.

% Climb Gradient = 100% ((Thrust/Weight) - (1/Lift to Drag Ratio))

aris214
22nd Nov 2009, 21:50
I am also having difficulty with this question. Any help would be appreciated.

"What would be the true altitude at 100hpa and 200hpa at standard temp.?"

Keith.Williams.
23rd Nov 2009, 17:24
ISA table gives 38661 ft for 200 hPa.

If you do a google search for ISA you will find various computation programs. One I tried gives 68400 ft for 100 hPa.